Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Oil Cleansing Method
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 30, 2012 11:42 am      Reply with quote
RyanA wrote:
The website with instructions says to only do OCM once a day. I wonder is it okay to do it twice a day initially to get through the process of getting the gunk to come out? I've gotten a couple of pimples, not sure if it's related or not.

Also, I've been reading through the thread and some people massage for like 30 minutes and longer-wow. I think I've only been doing like 5-7 minutes. Maybe I should try to do it longer initially. I don't know if I've "felt" anything coming up. I've felt a few grainy dots-is that it?

I have done it twice a day in the past, but I don't break out and have really tough skin!

Those grains are sebum plugs coming out, I only do a long massage once a week. Remember this is a process so give it time! I would not do 30 minutes daily, if you want go for 10, but you may have more pimples initially.

The breakouts may well be related it is very normal in the beginning! Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 30, 2012 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
Okay cool, thanks. So it won't hurt to do it 2x a day occasionally. I'll do it a little longer tonight to see if I can feel anything else coming up. I don't really get full breakouts normally, maybe one or two blemishes sometimes, so hopefully my skin doesn't go too crazy with this! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 30, 2012 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
RyanA wrote:
Okay cool, thanks. So it won't hurt to do it 2x a day occasionally. I'll do it a little longer tonight to see if I can feel anything else coming up. I don't really get full breakouts normally, maybe one or two blemishes sometimes, so hopefully my skin doesn't go too crazy with this! Very Happy

I know it's tempting as people get excited feeling the "gunk" coming out! I think slow and easy is best to start!

Keep us posted on how it goes....and you can come complain if you do go through the purge! Laughing

Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:48 am      Reply with quote
Because of reading about the OCM on this forum, I decided to try it as well. I have had "plugs" on my face and nose for several years that never seem to go away, and I want to get rid of them early on in my skins life.

So I tried 50% Castor Oil and 50% Jojoba Oil, per recommendation of oils that worked the best, although it sounds like there are many good kinds. Already after one use, I feel that my skin is brighter, more moisturized, and definitely clearer! Definitely.

I washed my face with my normal cleanser (Origins Frothy Face Wash), dabbed dry to remove oil (which doesn't mix with water), and put the oil mixture on my face, gently rubbing in circular motion and focusing on one area at a time for 3-5 minutes each, and then covering the whole face one or two more times. I didn't use excessive oil and also applied some to my neck. Then after...no one else specified this...I washed it off with water!! Obviously, since water and oil don't mix, I would say I only got about 65-75% of the oil off. In the morning my face did not feel overly oily and when I splashed it with water (my normal routine), it didn't get dried out like usual.

After rubbing around for about 3-5 minutes in each area, I felt a grittiness on my fingers and hands. I thought it could have been dry skin? But after looking closer, indeed, it was the black heads of plugs that had come out. Alleluia!

So far, I definitely recommend this method and will keep trying it. I don't think I will stop using my regular cleanser altogether.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:00 am      Reply with quote
vanillakiss wrote:
Because of reading about the OCM on this forum, I decided to try it as well. I have had "plugs" on my face and nose for several years that never seem to go away, and I want to get rid of them early on in my skins life.

So I tried 50% Castor Oil and 50% Jojoba Oil, per recommendation of oils that worked the best, although it sounds like there are many good kinds. Already after one use, I feel that my skin is brighter, more moisturized, and definitely clearer! Definitely.

I washed my face with my normal cleanser (Origins Frothy Face Wash), dabbed dry to remove oil (which doesn't mix with water), and put the oil mixture on my face, gently rubbing in circular motion and focusing on one area at a time for 3-5 minutes each, and then covering the whole face one or two more times. I didn't use excessive oil and also applied some to my neck. Then after...no one else specified this...I washed it off with water!! Obviously, since water and oil don't mix, I would say I only got about 65-75% of the oil off. In the morning my face did not feel overly oily and when I splashed it with water (my normal routine), it didn't get dried out like usual.

After rubbing around for about 3-5 minutes in each area, I felt a grittiness on my fingers and hands. I thought it could have been dry skin? But after looking closer, indeed, it was the black heads of plugs that had come out. Alleluia!

So far, I definitely recommend this method and will keep trying it. I don't think I will stop using my regular cleanser altogether.

Congratulations vanillakiss,

It sounds as though you have found a method that works for you!

Many follow with a toner or also use a cleanser at least once a day instead of OCM twice.

Keep us posted on how you get on with this! Very Happy

Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
I tried OCM before, but it caused me to break out.I have very oily skin.

I did 60% castor oil and 40% jojoba.

What could I be doing wrong?
katiesm13

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:36 am      Reply with quote
Hi guys,

I've been doing the oil cleansing method for 2 weeks now but my skin is just getting worse and worse. I was seeing if anyone else experienced such a long detox timeframe?

I've had very oily skin my whole life and was put on the contraceptive pill at aged 14 to control my acne.

For the past year i've been using proactiv which actually works very well and i basically stopped getting pimples, but I still have constant blackheads which never go away.

While i've been doing the OCM, heaps and heaps of those 'plugs' have been coming out... heaps!
But now i'm having really big pimples like giant painful lumps forming under my skin.. and its getting worse.

Any recommendations? I'm tempted to go back to proactiv for relief but I know I should stick at the OCM!
beaufort323
5% products discount

Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,

Forgive me if this topic has already been covered but Im new to this forum and not quite sure how to search a topic? is that possible? I pulled up the oil cleansing thread but was over whelmed by the pages and pages of info.

My son is 15 and get occasional acne break outs on his neck and forehead , he also gets dry patches. he is getting quite upset about it all and wants me to take him to see a dermatoligist but i would rather go down the more natural route.

Which oils are best for dry acne prone skin please and at what percentages. I have macadamia, hazelnut, apricot, sunflower, rosehip, borage, castor, tea tree oil and extra virgin olive oil. im willing to purchase more oils if these are no good for him.

He also wants a nice moisturiser too if anyone has any diy recipes i could make? he has looked at hylauronic acid on the internet and asked me to look into one with this ingredient. I can order some hylauronic powder if need be

thank you very much

Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
beaufort323 wrote:
Hello,

Forgive me if this topic has already been covered but Im new to this forum and not quite sure how to search a topic? is that possible? I pulled up the oil cleansing thread but was over whelmed by the pages and pages of info.

My son is 15 and get occasional acne break outs on his neck and forehead , he also gets dry patches. he is getting quite upset about it all and wants me to take him to see a dermatoligist but i would rather go down the more natural route.

Which oils are best for dry acne prone skin please and at what percentages. I have macadamia, hazelnut, apricot, sunflower, rosehip, borage, castor, tea tree oil and extra virgin olive oil. im willing to purchase more oils if these are no good for him.

He also wants a nice moisturiser too if anyone has any diy recipes i could make? he has looked at hylauronic acid on the internet and asked me to look into one with this ingredient. I can order some hylauronic powder if need be

thank you very much

Smile

One of my four had terrible acne so this is the blend I used. Grapeseed oil is also great for acne type skin as It is a bit drying and astringent. I also added Tea Tree oil for him. You can use either straight jojoba or a blend of any suitable oil at 50% and Castor Oil at 50% unless his skin is sensitive.

We just used a basic gentle moisturizer that was not heavy!

Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:18 am Add a Thank You Quote Report
OCM OIL BLEND FOR OILY SKIN ONLY

1 oz. Jojoba (or your favorite carrier oil
mix)
3 drops ylang ylang oil
2 drops lemon oil
2 drops rosewood oil
1 drop clary sage oil
1 drop geranium oil

Place carrier oil mix or Jojoba oil in clean dark container add the essential oils, blend gently by turning bottle upside time repeatedly or roll gently between the hands to blend well.
Apply a few drops (add if needed) massage as per OCM ussage clean off with hot wash cloth.
This blend may be used as a leave on oil blend as well just apply 1-2 drops 2 times a day after cleassing & toning pat into skin.

ETA: If using Castor Oil not to be left on after!

Also Decleor uses Hazelnut oil in their oily skin blend! Smile

5% products discount

Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for the quick reply dark moon Smile

this sounds lovely , did your son get good results soon or did it take a while?

thanks Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
beaufort323 wrote:

thanks Smile

He had to endure a major purge for a few weeks but then his skin cleared beautifully! Smile

He has UC which is considered autoimmune and the meds exacerbated the acne he unfortunately inherited from dads side of the gene pool!

He is still cleansing this way 12 years since he started!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
katiesm13 wrote:
Hi guys,

I've been doing the oil cleansing method for 2 weeks now but my skin is just getting worse and worse. I was seeing if anyone else experienced such a long detox timeframe?

I've had very oily skin my whole life and was put on the contraceptive pill at aged 14 to control my acne.

For the past year i've been using proactiv which actually works very well and i basically stopped getting pimples, but I still have constant blackheads which never go away.

While i've been doing the OCM, heaps and heaps of those 'plugs' have been coming out... heaps!
But now i'm having really big pimples like giant painful lumps forming under my skin.. and its getting worse.

Any recommendations? I'm tempted to go back to proactiv for relief but I know I should stick at the OCM!

Welcome! Smile If you read the first ten pages or so of the thread you will see some experience breakouts for anything up to a couple of months. Do bear in mind your skin is adjusting to life without Proactive, not just life with the OCM. Proactive contains various chemicals that wipe out ALL the bacteria on the surface of the skin, including the good guys. It takes time for your natural skin flora to re-establish.

Which oils are you using and at what percentages, have you tried switching? Are you 100% confident you are getting ALL the oil off without irritating your skin with your cloth? Have you tried using an emulsifier in your oil blend? Are you using a gentle zinc oxide sunscreen daily?

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
katiesm13

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:07 am      Reply with quote
i'm using extra virgin olive oil, about 60% and 40% castor oil. I'm pretty sure it's all coming off, my skin feels pretty clean afterwards.

I havent been wearing sunscreen but about 3 days a week i wear make up which contains only: Mica, titanium dioxide, zinc oxide and iron oxides. It is also SPF 15.

No I haven't been using an emulsifier, should i?

It looks like i'll just need to give it more time, hopefully it starts to clear up soon! Thanks for your help Smile
beaufort323
5% products discount

Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:01 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
beaufort323 wrote:

thanks Smile

He had to endure a major purge for a few weeks but then his skin cleared beautifully! Smile

He has UC which is considered autoimmune and the meds exacerbated the acne he unfortunately inherited from dads side of the gene pool!

He is still cleansing this way 12 years since he started!

Oh gosh the wonderful purging everyone yalks about, lovely! Im sure its all worth the final results, and your son still uses it 12 years later, that says something! thats great. Smile
karmagirl

Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I've been trying the OCM method for the past 4 weeks now. I have been completely unable to remove plugs from my nose and chin area, although the rest of my skin seems pretty smooth.

I'm currently using 40% castor oil, 50% EVOO and 10% jojoba oil.

I've even massaged my nose/chin area for 30 minutes!

Nothing came out.

What do I do?
gabbypet

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

So I want to try the OCM and honestly, I don't even know where to start. Can someone point me in the right direction first so I am not floundering blindly? Do you do it 2x a day?? I work in a Derm office(irony, I know), but anything we have recommended(combo skin, 31yo) is to harsh(dry after, then oily as soon as I put lotion on it). I break out randomly, who knows why, but it's not acne prone completely.

Thanks!!!
kmrmv8
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
Everyone does OCM a little differently. Maybe start with one time a day, and use no more than 40% castor oil at first because it can be drying. You should read through this thread to get tips from others. As for the other oil(s) you use is up to you. I have dry skin and use 40% castor oil, 40% hemp oil, 15% borage oil, and 5% polysorbate 80 (emulsifier). The poly 80 helps the oils wash off completely. You can also add essential oils ( I add lavender and geranium). An easy place to start would be with 30% castor oil and 70% olive oil, which is moisturizing and easily available.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
kmrmv8 wrote:
Everyone does OCM a little differently. Maybe start with one time a day, and use no more than 40% castor oil at first because it can be drying. You should read through this thread to get tips from others. As for the other oil(s) you use is up to you. I have dry skin and use 40% castor oil, 40% hemp oil, 15% borage oil, and 5% polysorbate 80 (emulsifier). The poly 80 helps the oils wash off completely. You can also add essential oils ( I add lavender and geranium). An easy place to start would be with 30% castor oil and 70% olive oil, which is moisturizing and easily available.

Thank you thank you!!!

Ok I did my whole response and it wouldn't post and now I lost it. Grr.. Ok a couple of more questions(sorry!). If only doing OCM 1x daily, what do you clean your face with the other time? I can find cold-pressed Castor, but when looking for Grapeseed, I cannot find a specification on the label for cold-pressed or otherwise. Where do you find Poly 80? I get most of my things(it won't let me post the website's name) and I can find most of the things on there, but not the poly 80 or salycilic acid(someone mentioned it to create a 1% SA to help keep the purging from getting too bad. I work in front of patients so having my face broken out is not really a great idea. Also, I saw on the original OCM the author mentions just oil, steam, rinse, wipe, but as I have been reading(longgg day of reading on here), I have seen a lot of people doing other things as well, ie vit c serum, etc. Eek!
kmrmv8
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:06 pm      Reply with quote
You can clean your face with whatever you want. Many prefer a sulfate free cleanser. Cerave hydrating cleanser is good if you live in the us. I also like cleansers from garden of wisdom.

Gardenofwisdom.com also supplies cold pressed Grapeseed oil, castor oil, poly 80 and salycilic acid. I love garden of wisdom, they are awesome and give a free sample with ever order. The prices and shipping is reasonable, and the quality is outstanding.

Vitamin c serum is a totally different thing unrelated to OCM. I do not even steam, to lazy and steaming isn't good for (my) dry skin. I just apply, massage for a couple minutes, let it soak in for about 10 minutes, massage again and wash. With the poly 80 it washes completely clean so you do not have to worry about oil left behind.

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:22 am      Reply with quote
Hi all, I have an emulsifier question. I'm in the early stages of figuring out OCM. Based on what I've read(and read, and read) here, I want to try using an emulsifier to reduce the mess of my awesome new all natural cleaning method. It seems that polysorbate 80 is the go-to. However, I've just finished reading a book(No More Dirty Looks) that suggests poly 80 is often contaminated with 1,4 dioxane, a potential carcinogen, and for that reason should be avoided.

What is your take on poly 80, and does anyone know how I would go about determining if a poly 80 source is free from contaminants? I've checked out other sources (FDA, etc.) and they all seem to agree that poly 80 itself is benign, but they don't address the contaminant issue.

Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
Great question! I'd love to hear the answer, too.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
I think just about all high HBL emulsifiers are ethoxylated. At least the ones for the purposes of OCM (a very thin consistency plus being oil soluble.)

There is no way to tell unless the company you get it from can verify that the manufacturer claims it's 'bad stuff' free. If you wanted to be extra-super-duper safe and use another emulsifier entirely, I guess you could make a balm instead of a liquid oil to clean with. BTMS, glyceryl stearate, cetearyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, whatever you've got. *shrugs*
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:59 am      Reply with quote
I have used polysorbate 80 and Olive Oil PEG-7 Esters (aka Olivem 300; which is a surfactant, strictly speaking) as an emulsifier.

Given the same amount mixed in the oil , I prefer PEG-7 as I find that the oil is easily rinsed off.

http://www.lotioncrafter.com/olivem-300.html

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.hk/2010/08/esters-peg-7-olivate-or-olive-oil-peg-7.html
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:00 am      Reply with quote
^I think they are specifically looking for something that can be verified as dioxane free.

And there's really no way to know for 100% certain unless you just trust the supplier and/or manufacturer.
gabbypet

Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:22 am      Reply with quote
Well I am now on day 8 of OCM nightly, I ended up doing a blend of 50% castor, 30% Grapeseed Oil, 15% Apricot Seed Oil, 5% Poly 80 plus 3-4 drops lemon tea tree oil.

I massage for 1min, rest 30 sec. I repeat that 3x. Then I do the hot steam cloth 3x also.

Nothing major has happened, pores still look the same(clogged), and NOTHING has come out of them as of yet(I have to admit I am a bit deflated). My skin feels ok, not crazy amazing, not too different than any other cleanser I have used in the past. I notice a slight slight tightening on the sides of my nose(ironically my oiliest area normally), but not enough to convince me to add more oil as a moisturizer as the rest of my face feels ok. Reading past posts, I have made sure to at least use a swipe of Neaclear toner on my hairline and along my chin/neck as a precaution because I can't be 1000% sure that I am getting all the oil off.

On my non-OCM cleaning, I am switching between Image skin care Oramedic Cleanser(NO SLS in it) and Garden of Wisdom Castor/Castille cleanser, Blueberry cleanser, Oat/Honey CLeanser(a little trio pack I tried). I will stick with it, but boy am I anxious to get my pores unclogged!!!!!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:11 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |