Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Vitamin C serum and MSM-any problems?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Denise
5% products discount

Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I have hyperpigmentation on my face for which I have had some laser treatments with some success. However,, not as much as I would like. I read here that many of you use Vitamin C serum and MSM. I started taking MSM about 4 weeks ago and just last week started with Janson and Beckett C serum. I am concerned because what I thought was an old chicken pox indent is actually a new indentation on my face. At least that's what it looks like. Has anyone had any problems with either of these products? All I want is for my face to look even in tone and to not have to wear makeup all the time. Sad Please help!!!
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
No, both Vitamin C and MSM are terrific for the skin - either alone, or together. I can't imagine that either one of these products would cause an indentation in your skin. Can you describe it better or post a picture of it?

5% products discount

Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
I am starting to think that maybe I am crazy and never saw it before (fading eyesight!). But it looks somewhat whiteish in color compared to the rest of my face and almost like a small concave circular mark. I am wondering if it is where the Dr. zapped me with the laser, or is it an old acne scar, and now it is more apparant from the C serum. I have both the Cellular Skin Rx and samples of the Janson and Beckett. I used both about 3 days each. The Cellular Skin Rx definitely made the hyperpigmentation redder and lightly peel. I am unsure if this is a good or bad thing Confused I am going Thursday for a glycolic peel and wonder if it is safe to do now. I have had them in the past and use MD Formulations with glycolic acid to wash my face. I barely had acne as a teen and now as an adult it has left some red marks, along with the brown spots--very frustrating! I feel like I try to help one problem and get another. Any ideas out there???
Mabsy

Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:49 am      Reply with quote
I haven't had any problems with vit C or MSM, either separately used or together.

When did this thing come up? Some people are sensitive to Vit C so I would recommend using once every second day or diluting it for a few days to see how things go. If anything though, I would guess that you'd have red bumps as a sign of irritation.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
Denise,

I use both vitmain C and MSM daily. I also have hyperpigmentation problems. I have not had any problems like you are. In fact, the use of both vit C and MSM have helped my hyperpigmentation greatly.

It could be as Mabsy suggested that you are sensitive to vitamin C. I am baffled though!
Denise
5% products discount

Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
Quacko,

I have been obsessing this month about my sparse eybrows (which I got a great product for from this forum), my skin breaking out with small cystic pimples, the frustration over the pigmentation problems. I think I need to stop staring at every defect I see. I think I am just in a down mood also and that always makes everything seem worse. I decided to only use the Vit C on one part of my face, where it looks smooth, but has pigmentation. I don't think MSM would have done anything. I already see the benefits of it for my nails, hair and arthritic joints. It has been quite amazing in a short time. I am baffled as to where this depression in my cheek came from. It doesn't seem logical that after only 3 days of Cellular Skin Rx and 3 days of Janson Beckett that these products could have harmed me. Tmr I am going to see the Jane Iredale line of mineral makeup. I am also going to get another glycolic peel to help heal the red marks from the cystic pimple. Then I will again try to Vit C on safe areas of my face and just watch for any problems. I am hoping that what I see may only be a light area with what appears to be hyperpigmentation above making it look like a skin depression and eventually it will even out. You all speak so highly about it and I would give anything to see it disappear. If not for me, then I will go back to Sothy's Retinol 15 and Vitaplus night recovery. In the past, they have worked well, but I was hoping the C serum would be more effective. I will keep you posted. Thanks for all your help. I did see a post by Karina last summer saying that the JB C serum made her acne scars more pronounced. I would love to see the effect 1 year later after continued use.
Thanks for all your help

Denise.
quacko
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
Denise,

Keep us posted on your progress. And, good luck
with your glycolic peel. If you want, you may
test vitamin C on your neck for few days,
and see what happens.
Denise
5% products discount

Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:36 am      Reply with quote
Hi Quacko,

The glycolic peel went well and I feel like the redness from a cystic acne pimple is fading. I am thinking that what looks like a depression maybe
due to the pigmentation above and below it-sort of a perceptual illusion. I will go again for another peel in a few weeks and do just what you said. I am limiting where I put the Vit. C.

Does anyone know if I should stick with the Cellular SKIn RX brand of C, which is pure, or the Janson and Beckett, which has other oils in it? (I have a few samples of the JB)

Also got Jane Iredale makeup and I think I like it so far.
Keep you posted,
Denise
quacko
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Denise,

That is great news. Glad that you figured that out, about your depression not really being one. And that your glycolic peel went well.

As for which vitamin C to use, it really depends on your skin. I have not used Janson & Beckett's. I have used SkinCellular vitamin C, and liked it OK, though it was a little oily for my skin (I have rather oily skin).
Denise
5% products discount

Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
Just to update:

Went back to using Vit. C and I am loving it. Definitely feel and see a difference in my skin. Also the Jane Iredale also seems to have made a difference. Thanks to all of you and for encouraging me to give Vit. C another chance.

Denise
mojocat
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:47 pm      Reply with quote
Paranoia or not...was wondering if u still notice that 'indentation' u had. Reason being like u, i also started on Vit C n MSM about a month ago. The MSM doesn't seem to be doing much but im hoping the effects will kick in after extended use. As for the Vit C, i m also not seeing a dramatic difference in my skin. In fact, i just had a breakout recently...but that could be due to my insomnia problems of late...so many problems!!! But couple of days ago i notice a more evident mark on my face as well.. It used to be a pigmentation spot, small like a freckle but it looks like it has spread out in size and is now rimmed with a whitish circular ring. not sure if im senstive to vit c too??? really dont know how that happened or what caused it!!
Denise
5% products discount

Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
I still think I have a more pronounced indentation. I think it is possible it was where I had laser and it became more pronounced. I decided to go back and use the CellularSKinRx brand anyway. This is what I noticed. Following my glycolic peel (20%) my face looked more even and the spots lighter. After 3 days of using the C again, it continues to look even. The indent, while still there, seems to be blending in better. I am thinking that maybe it's all part of a process-sort of like it looked worse till it started to work. My skin actually feels better-smoother feel. Today I met someone who hasn't seen me in months, and she actually said my skin looks great! That remark came out of the blue. That made me feel so much more secure that I wasn't just having a placebo affect when I look at my skin. I do notice that i have white circlish spots on my arms that may have always been there during the summer-an absence of pigment. My chest area also looks more even and I don't use the C there. That I attribute to conscious use of sunscreen and the MSM perhaps. I also make sure I take flaxseed oil because the only reason I can think of why my face broke out was that I ran out of it for 6 weeks. Flax seed oil is good for skin and acne. I would limit it to some part of your face or chest and see what happens. I know that I fixated too much and stopped looking in the mirror. Stress also makes me breakout. I will still monitor the C and I am sticking with the RX brand, rather than the Janson and Beckett. I will keep your posted if I notice anything. But so far, so good. P.S. I also switched to Jane Iredale makeup and I do think it helps your skin.
robbojnr
5% products discount

Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:38 pm      Reply with quote
can i just say that by using these glycolic peels etc ure are damaging you're skin by thinning, and thinnning it and thinning it and hence the skin becomes more sensitive and then breaks down ..
Denise
5% products discount

Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:35 am      Reply with quote
Robbojnr,

So is a glycolic peel every few months or once every year bad? Is using a cleanser with glycolic also bad? What about the Vitamin C? If so, what do you suggest to use?

Thanks
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:15 am      Reply with quote
Denise,

Just so you know, for everyone that says AHAs are bad and thin your skin, someone else will say the opposite. Overuse and peels that are too strong are not good, but I have to disagree with robbojnr that generally, they are bad.

Vit C is collagen building. Not at all related to AHAs.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
My little pigmentation spot is still there but the breakout has subsided. Im still on Vit C, hoping like u said, things perhaps get worse before they can get better. Meanwhile, i dont see dramatic difference in skin tone, radiance,skin texture nor has anyone commented my skin looks better...who would with that breakout i had??!!. Ive been on Vit C for 6 weeks now and am getting somewhat impatient. HOw long more do i have to wait to see results?
mojocat
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
Also like to check what dosage of MSM is appropriate...im taking 1000mg capsules twice a day which means my daily intake is 2000mg. Is that adequate? And i read somewhere MSM can be put on the face as a mask...anyone tried it? What are the effects and how do i do it??
Denise
5% products discount

Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:40 am      Reply with quote
Dear Mojocat,

Just curious. What brand of Vit C and MSM are you taking? I am using CellularSkinRx C and OptiMSM 1000mg. twice daily. So far I know the MSM has made my nails grow fast and they are very hard. My nails are usually down to the nubs and brittle. It's the first time in years that I have nails.. My hair seems to also be growing more rapidly. Also, less joint pain. I can't tell you if it has helped my skin, but it doesn't seem to have hurt it. I kept my husband blind to what MSM is supposed to do and he just made a comment that he needs a haircut already-that his hair grew alot this month. He also said his knees don't creak lately. As for his skin, he never had a pimple in his life. If you need more info, go to the below website. I found the woman Deb to be very knowledgable and helpful. Below is the link to my post. Just visit the home page. If you post a question, it takes about 1 week for her to reply to you.

http://dianayvonne.worldispnetwork.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1388#1388
Good luck,
Denise
mojocat
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Denise

I m using Vivier 10% and taking GNC MSM1000 twice daily. To be honest, I dont feel a visible difference to my hair or nail growth. Neither is there one to my skin or joint health. *sigh* things just dont dont for me...PTR Power K didnt work for me, Vit C doesnt seems like its working...MSM either. Im destined with pale, sallow skin Sad
Denise
5% products discount

Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:43 am      Reply with quote
Maybe someone else can comment on VivierC, but perhaps you might try another type. As for the MSM, I know from research on the iternet that they only recommend two brands-the OptiMSM and another as pure. If you do a search OptiMSM on google you can decide for yourself if it is hype or not. Like I said, I can't say it helped my skin, but it is obvious it helped my nails and my hair.
BTW I paid $48.00 for 1000 capsules of 1000 mg. of MSM

Sorry, wish I could be more help.
Sarah Jones
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
Try Henry Tianus Antioxidant Youthful Essence and Antioxidant Eye, Lip & Neck Serum. Both are good to lighten any hyperpigmentation. They are not cheap but not expensive too, cost £30 and £ 22. You can check their site atwww.henrytianus.com
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:43 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |