Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Goth in need of scalp help!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Dark Insanity

Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I'm a goth chick, and regularly dye my ginger hair black. I suffer from dermatitis on my scalp, and when I dye my hair, the dye tends to stick to it, making it look like I have black scales on my head. It's really noticeable in my parting and at the sides of my head.
What can some of you guys suggest? Letting my hair grow out and stop dying it is not an option, I have the brightest ginger hair ever.

Does anyone else get this kind of scaling after using dye? Please help!
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
maybe you should give your hair and scalp a rest. You sound like you have gorgeous natural hair color....let it grow out for now would be my suggestion Smile
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Dark Insanity,

A while ago I read a thread about scalp problems, I think that Apple Cidar Vinagar will help. I guess I would start by mixing it 50/50 with distilled water, and applying it to your scalp regularily. If you do a search using "dermatitis", I think you will find some more info.

Some essentail oils in your shampoo may also help. Try Jojoba oil. Smile

5% products discount

Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
hmm ya I remember when I used to dye my hair raven black...I loved it but a lot of upkeep for me and now that I'm "aged" I've gone back to my "natural roots" but I do admit I miss the raven look....What colour line r u using? Is it a problem with all colour lines? I used to get the best results from Joico Vero colour line (but a real job to lift out when I was done with it years later..anyway....). Have you tried Nioxin Scalp Therapy conditioner? I have very sensitive skin and I find that helps my scalp at "aggrivated times". Good luck, if I think of anything I'll get in touch.

Good advice about the apple cider vinegar...very good for the hair and so many other things as well. Boy this is a great forum to be at..I'm new too. I'm lovin it! Cool
Aukue
5% products discount

Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:26 pm      Reply with quote
What about tea tree products? There's a few lines out there...the one I used came directly from Australia can't find the info this minute. I do know Paul Mitchell makes some with tea tree...though haven't tried them first hand myself. Faith made me think of that when mentioned about adding the essential oils to the shampoo....
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:43 am      Reply with quote
is the dye causing your scalp to react? I imagine to cover red hair it takes a pretty strong dye?

Dr.Hauschka. Neem hair oil is very nice and soothing the scalp(i've not yet done a review but I like it Wink )

Cassia -think of it as neutral henna, it is very good for conditioning hair and scalp, I get mine from here hennaforhair.com . A godsend since I can't use chemical dyes anymore.

If you're on a budget try any of the following, olive oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil. Warm them slightly, part the hair and using a teaspoon drizzle it along the scalp. Really oil it up. Massage the scalp cover with a towel or wrap in cling film and leave for as long as you like. Shampoo out using a mild shampoo massaging the scalp. Hey presto, conditioned hair & scalp.
You may want to add a couple of drops of essential oil to your base oil, I like to use sandalwood to soothe plus it smells great.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:10 am      Reply with quote
You could also try brown sugar in the conditioning stage. It acts as an exfoliant and washes away. It was posted here a while back and I was pretty impressed wit5h it. Maybe combine with oils (I have similar problems, but dying my hair red, and I use oilive oil, just cos that's what I ahve in the house)

HTH, from an original goth c1983 Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:17 am      Reply with quote
There are several remedies listed for various hair/scalp problems listed on pg 1 of the ~~~ DIY Skincare Recipes ~~~ sticky thread: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5981&start=0 including ACV, essential oils and various other oils....

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
I had really bad dermatitis on my scalp, the only thing that worked for me was coal tar from my dermatologist. Its messy, and stinks but it works.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
I think that the ACV with peppermint oil or copper peptide serum/hair products would both work on scalp dermatitis. I would also though vote for giving it a break. Dying while your scalp is in bad shape is really bad for you.
Dark Insanity

Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for all your suggestions, I shall definitely give them a go and see what happens Smile The apple cider vinegar seems to be most appealing at the moment.

I've used a lot of different black dyes over the years, and they all have the same result, but I'm not defeated Smile thanks for all your help
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
do you dye your hair yourself?

Maybe you should do it at a salon, the drugstore brands may irritate your scalp
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:43 am      Reply with quote
...totally OT, but wanted to add, ignore the crap you get of others about being a goth. Avoiding daylight and wearing tons of clown white (basically zinc oxide) when I was out means that I have less than half the wrinkles of women my age who spent their holidays in Malaga on the beach. When you grow out of it (you may never loose the taste for wearing black), keep up with the sunscreen!

Cool

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
Ohh, I hate to suggest it - have you tried a dandruff shampoo, like Head and Shoulders? It's gross, my parents use it and I swore I never would, but it works . . . once you get it under control, you don't have to use it daily. I don't like the smell or texture, but I use it 1x/week and it does the trick.

I would also second the coal tar shampoo, especially if your problem tends to be more of the greasy-scaly type. But I think there are brands in the States (Neutrogena?) that you can buy OTC, rather than needing an Rx.

I think the natural oil scalp massage sounds like the treatment for baby's cradle cap, and that is also very effective for greasy-type scales.

Good luck!

Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:26 am      Reply with quote
I use Head & Shoulders every day, and have been for a long long time, doesn't seem to do anything! Am trying out coal tar at the moment and hoping for the best
happyhippie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
I used to be goth too... but now I'm a beach-blond hippie! Anyways... I used natural henna colors when I was goth, or sometimes the semi-permanent one that's not as harsh as permanent color.

Thing is, dark color is the most cancerous color to put on your scalp! Sad So if I were you I'd do two things; try natural Henna color, or put a scalp treatment in your scalp before coloring (yes, you might not get color on that inner quarter of an inch hair, but you'll definetly look healthier then having black flakes). Massage in olive-oil in your scalp before going to bed and was out in the morning. Make sure you use natural shampoos without SLS so you don't aggrivate the condition. "Druide" carries a product for the scalp called "Dandrex" that is awsome, and has the natural shampoo and conditioner too.( http://www.druide.ca/ )

Good luck Very Happy
Nickle
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:35 am      Reply with quote
Found this review:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=713&highlight=aesop

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:26 am      Reply with quote
I get the same problem! My hair is dark blonde (I die it almost black)and I find the only thing that doesn't irritate it is Aveda Sap Moss shampoo. I tried lots of anti-dandruff shampoos but I think my problem was more of irritation. After many years of wrecking my hair (yes, I am another ex-goth also and it's true about having great skin from pileing on the clown makeup!)well, my hair couldn't take regular dye anymore and so now I use Herbatint and boy it covers my blonde. I only use dark brown and it is soooo dark everyone keeps saying I have black hair!
Besides that, anti-dandruff shampoos take out your color!!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:45 am      Reply with quote
misskatblack wrote:
Besides that, anti-dandruff shampoos take out your color!!
FYI - all shampoos containing sulfates will suck the color right out of your hair cuticle!! If you can’t use a shampoo that does not contain sulfates (i.e.: Pureology, Paves Professional, Aubreys, etc), then at the very least you need to try the trick with the apple cider vinegar added to your shampoo – see pg 1 of the “~~~ DIY Skincare Recipes ~~~” sticky-thread in the Skincare Forum for complete details on how to hang on to your (dyed) hair color longer....

misskatblack wrote:
...my hair couldn't take regular dye anymore and so now I use Herbatint and boy it covers my blonde.
Can you please tell us what Herbatint is and where do you get it?

TIA,
Carrie

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:01 am      Reply with quote
Some health food stores carry it in US. I just phoned around until I found it. I saw it in Australia and New Zealand originally. There was one store in Olympia (USA) that carried it and I found one in Seattle. I think it is maybe English. This is the website:
http://www.herbatint.co.uk/
I also found this when I did a google search.
http://www.naturesnutrition.com/herbatint.htm
Lots of websites came up selling it in Google.
I found the darker colors stayed in my hair longer Very Happy
misskatblack
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:06 am      Reply with quote
Sorry!
It is a permanent herbal haircolor without ammonia. It has a glycol developer. You use it just like a regular hairdye and it is much less messy than henna!
SourApple
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:40 am      Reply with quote
I have psoriasis on my scalp that's pretty severe. Coal tar shampoo and other home remedies didn't work so now I get injections every 2 wks. at the dermatologists' office as well as use different creams in the morning and at night. I also find that Neutrogena T-Sal shampoo helps pull the scales off.

It is so disgusting to talk about but I only got it last year and it's still kind of hard to deal with. When I get my hair bleached, they rub this protectant onto my scalp beforehand so that it doesn't irritate. I don't know the name, but I would recommend doing that and also seeing a derm.
Smile
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:18 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |