Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Karla Homolka
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Caspers Mum

Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:40 am      Reply with quote
To my fellow Canadian Forum members: what do you think of this whole story, her release, etc.

To my International Forum friends: what is your opinion, from an objective p.o.v.? I'm sure that many of you don't know about the horrible crimes committed in Canada, in the early-90's, nor outrage that occurs amongst most Canadians whenever these crimes are mentioned.

http://www.canada.com/national/features/homolka/story.html?id=122ea497-5633-4f02-8a66-21caf98bf854

There is info provided about the story through this thread too.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/bernardo/
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:49 am      Reply with quote
thought you said no politics Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you

Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:50 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
thought you said no politics Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you

I personally don't see this as political. I was asking what peoples' reactions are to this. Thanks for your personal insight, however, and kindly note that I have not stated my own. I'm big on current events.
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:00 am      Reply with quote
I was pretty much the same age as those girls when this happened, and I remember when it all came out how petrified I was. The crimes were horrific. IMO, Karla Homolka should remain in jail. I would consider her dangerous, and in this case, do not believe in second chances.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:06 am      Reply with quote
I can't believe that she willingly aided and abetted her husband in such evil acts. Especially in the case of her own sister. Shock
Obviously, I don't know all the details of the case so can't comment too much. I am pleased to see that there are a number of restrictions with her release from prison and that there is no media ban. This will not be the end of her sentence. I imagine she will be living in fear for the rest of her life. Wondering if the next knock at the door will be some angry mob coming to get her. Always looking over her shoulder.
There was a case in this country of a bloke who killed two young girls and his girlfriend served time for lying to protect him. She's been released and given a secret identity. However, even with this secret identity she has been recognised and had to move.
I imagine in some cases it is worse to be released from the relative security of prison to have to try and live a normal day-to-day life constantly looking over your shoulder.
Still, I have no sympathy for her.

Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:46 am      Reply with quote
Toe wrote:
I can't believe that she willingly aided and abetted her husband in such evil acts. Especially in the case of her own sister. Shock
Obviously, I don't know all the details of the case so can't comment too much. I am pleased to see that there are a number of restrictions with her release from prison and that there is no media ban. This will not be the end of her sentence. I imagine she will be living in fear for the rest of her life. Wondering if the next knock at the door will be some angry mob coming to get her. Always looking over her shoulder.
There was a case in this country of a bloke who killed two young girls and his girlfriend served time for lying to protect him. She's been released and given a secret identity. However, even with this secret identity she has been recognised and had to move.
I imagine in some cases it is worse to be released from the relative security of prison to have to try and live a normal day-to-day life constantly looking over your shoulder.
Still, I have no sympathy for her.

I think that she will wish that she were back in her protected cell, in jail. I don't think that the media or public will make her reintigration into society easy, at all, ever.

As she said, she has chosen to reside in Quebec, because the crimes were not as well-covered in French-Canada as they were in English-Canada. Some Quebecers have said that they don't want her living there, as she is (essentially) "English Canada's criminal". She's not as notorious there, as she is through the rest of Canada (especially southern Ontario).

I was watching the news last night, and there were comments from citizens of St. Catharine's, ON. Unfortunately, that is what the City is most-known for now: the murders, and they probably will never shake that. People are horrified about Homolka's release, though it is highly unlikely that she will visit her hometown.

I feel sorry for both the victims' families, as well as the Homolka family, who are victims themselves. They've lost essentially TWO daughters, their privacy, etc. What I don't understand is why they still remain in the same home that they've lived in for years. And their number & address is listed in telephone directories!!! Karl Homolka, St. Catharine's. People can continue to harass them, do drive-bys, etc. Go figure! Masochists?
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
She's been away for 12 -- or 14 years, was it? -- and has pretty much been "on ice" in terms of public and media attention. The reintroduction of the whole twisted scenario into the public forum has us digesting KH and the whole event (IMHO)through a lens that is 12 (or 14?) years old. The likelihood for us to interpret her as someone who has committed heinous, unthinkable crimes but who is remorseful, will not come easily(IMHO) since we haven't (generally speaking) followed her activities etc. over the past years - we haven't watched her either heal/progress or regress....We see her from an emotional light - as the killer with the long white hair and overly-spiked bangs....and, I think to some degree, see her the way we saw her "then"..and that's it....I don't know who she is - but I know what she's been a part of --- the degree to which she was a "victim" can be argued till the cows come home. During her interview with Quebec CBC (?)she was asked what was the first thing she wanted to do upon release; her response (following a girlish giggle (?)) was to have an iced cappuccino from Tim Hortons. Now THAT is creepy -- or is it? Is it not possible for, 14 years later, someone to transform? I don't know. Personally, I find her frightening - I can't wrap my head around her. In her interview she seemed odd and removed. The relationship she has with her family is also bizarre (IMHO) I wouldn't like to run into her in a Tim Hortons. I think she's either psychotic or has the best effortless poker face I've ever seen. Oh yes!! - and what about the nude pics of her male prisoner friend convicted of killing his wife? She wouldn't talk about that during her interview. I guess not.
Pudoodles
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
I'm surprised nobody killed her in prison...canada needs a way to keep people past their sentence if they are still believed to be high risk

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
I have to respond to this since I was born and raised in Niagara and this hits close to home. I admit I don't know all the details of the case but I watched a documentary on her the other night which literally made my skin crawl. She should be in prison with her husband for the rest of her life and the crown should be ashamed of the deal they struck with her.
What I found interesting was that Paul was the Scarborough rapist. He had raped many women before he hooked up with Karla. BUT he never murdered any of them. He didn't feel he had to because he was so confident that he would never get caught. The murders only began once Karla was involved. I've seen some chilling clips from the actual police interrogation and she so casually talks about how Paul wanted to keep one of them longer but she had to go back to work and didn't want to be worrying about her escaping and so felt they needed to "get rid of her". It really appeared that it was Karla who was the one who wanted these girls killed. She is as evil as her ex husband, maybe more so. Fortunately he will never get out but it's almost too unbelievable that she did. I feel soooooooooooo awful for the families of those poor girls. And what is wrong with her parents???? To be so supportive of her when she raped and murdered their daughter and then she complains a few weeks after Tammy's death that they are still pissed at her and need to get over it and f... them!!!
And I don't quite understand why she was never brought to trial over her other victim "Jane Doe", the one who escaped. What's up with that? Now she asks not to be hunted down and fears for her life and wants protection??? Oh really, kind of like her poor victims must have felt???? She didn't cut them any slack, why should she except anyone to now.
And while she has been in prison, she has learned a second language AND gotten herself a degree in psychology!!! This woman is as evil and manipulative as they come....
Where is the justice???
Caspers Mum

Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
Dianne wrote:
I have to respond to this since I was born and raised in Niagara and this hits close to home. I admit I don't know all the details of the case but I watched a documentary on her the other night which literally made my skin crawl. She should be in prison with her husband for the rest of her life and the crown should be ashamed of the deal they struck with her.
What I found interesting was that Paul was the Scarborough rapist. He had raped many women before he hooked up with Karla. BUT he never murdered any of them. He didn't feel he had to because he was so confident that he would never get caught. The murders only began once Karla was involved. I've seen some chilling clips from the actual police interrogation and she so casually talks about how Paul wanted to keep one of them longer but she had to go back to work and didn't want to be worrying about her escaping and so felt they needed to "get rid of her". It really appeared that it was Karla who was the one who wanted these girls killed. She is as evil as her ex husband, maybe more so. Fortunately he will never get out but it's almost too unbelievable that she did. I feel soooooooooooo awful for the families of those poor girls. And what is wrong with her parents???? To be so supportive of her when she raped and murdered their daughter and then she complains a few weeks after Tammy's death that they are still pissed at her and need to get over it and f... them!!!
And I don't quite understand why she was never brought to trial over her other victim "Jane Doe", the one who escaped. What's up with that? Now she asks not to be hunted down and fears for her life and wants protection??? Oh really, kind of like her poor victims must have felt???? She didn't cut them any slack, why should she except anyone to now.
And while she has been in prison, she has learned a second language AND gotten herself a degree in psychology!!! This woman is as evil and manipulative as they come....
Where is the justice???

Ya, I saw the rebroadcasted (1997) decomentary on CBC the other night too. I liked Karla's concern over her French champagne glasses Rolling Eyes I've read a lot about the case, and I must say that Steven Williams books are the best, portraying Karla as the true sociopath that she is!
Dianne
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
I'd like to see her put away for life with Kelly Ellard as her roommate.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
Dianne...I heard today kelly can get a max of 7 years. Is that because she's already served some of it?

I'd like to see her pay the court costs for her many trials.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
Not positive on this Lianne but from what I understand it's because she was only 15 at the time of the murder.... Rolling Eyes
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
i'm interested to see what happens to her. maybe she'll get killed in prison.... Laughing

Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
lianne wrote:
Dianne...I heard today kelly can get a max of 7 years. Is that because she's already served some of it?

I'd like to see her pay the court costs for her many trials.

Everyone is entitled to a fair trial, and I am unsure of the length of the sentence that Ms. Ellard will have to serve. The retrial was interesting. The drawings that Ms. Ellard did were interesting too.

I've been over that bridge in Victoria/Esquimalt. There are a lot of houses around there, and I don't understand how those living near there could not have heard the fight/beating that happened with Reena Virk. Sad. I was bullied in high school too - physical threats, and had physical violence threatened & used against me. Girl bullies are worse than guys, I swear, and some of these nasty girls learn such angry, violent behaviour.
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Tonight at 9:00 est, on CBC Newsworld, Bernado's lawyer will be providing a "response" of sorts from Bernardo to Homolka's release....Maybe this is a repeat of an earlier broadcast (am I out of the loop?)but it's news to me.....apparently he will say that Homolka injected Leslie with an air-laden needle to try and kill her amongst other things (directly implicating her)I mean really....is this supposed to shed a softer light on him??
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
CM, chicks are MEAN!

I'd rather get into a fight with a guy anyday!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:02 am      Reply with quote
I read about serial/spree killers and a couple of years back wanted to learn more about couples who kill so I'm sort of familiar with the case.
First of all I think the sentence - for the part she played was too light but it's the deal that was struck.
Secondly, they are/were both clearly mentally ill, however I don't think she would have ended up in her situation if she had not met bernardo.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:45 pm      Reply with quote
KH should locked away for life, no parole, nada. I saw her photo from the Radio Canada interview on the front page of the paper yesterday, her eyes look dead. I'm convinced she hasn't a soul, really. She helped kill her sister and two girls, I hope she suffers every day of her life in one way or another. I listen to CBC radio all day and I've quite a bit about the reaction in Quebec, they hate her just as much there as they do in the rest of Canada, hopefully she will be harassed constantly by the media and public and beg to be put back in prison. I usually am of the mind set if you serve your time that's fine by me but not in this case, no way.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:54 am      Reply with quote
I realize I’m a little late weighing in here, but when have I ever let that stop me?!

They did an two hour special on Court TV, or one of those type channels that outlines horrific crimes, on this woman and I remember being horrified. I couldn’t believe it when I saw a segment on “A Current Affair” very early (2:30am) Monday morning where they reported that this monster had been released! What the hell were the authorities thinking???

I mentioned this already in one of the forbidden political discussions, but I am pro-death penalty and believe the punishment should fit the crime. Obviously the death penalty isn’t an issue in this case since it happened in Canada, but at the very least this woman should rot in prison for the rest of her natural life. Actually, she should rot in prison, cowering in fear as she becomes Big Bertha’s “b*tch” every night when the lights go down, for the rest of her natural life. From my understanding, her husband was a vicious, serial rapist, but his victims didn’t start dying until he hooked up with Karla. If there was any real justice in this world, Karla should be put to death in the same manner and circumstances to which she sentenced her virginal baby sister. Karla should have gotten the exact same sentence as her husband because she was just as culpable, if not more so, for each of those crimes.

(Can you tell I feel very strongly about this?? Confused)

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:37 am      Reply with quote
I find this really disturbing. This is a bit of the interview transcript that she did the day she was released. Bordelais is her lawyer...

Bordelais: That's true and my client will tell you more about that, but speaking for me personally, I have received many e-mails, letters and phone calls from people who wanted to offer her a place to live: they've offered apartments, people offered jobs and money to my client and I have not had a chance to thank them personally.

But I also need to mention that there are people who are ready to open their homes and to offer support to allow for a successful social rehabilitation.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE????
This is outrageous!!!!
How can anyone reward this sick woman with money and jobs and a place to stay in their home??? Am I missing something here? Are they nuts? Do they know what she did??? Do they realize that she only got 12 years because they didn't find out the truth about her involvement until after her trial??? She's been given plenty of breaks, why are people giving her more? I can't imagine how the families of her victims must feel when they hear this rubbish.

This makes me sick! There are so many people in this world who are truly in need of support, who really need a break in life, why on earth is anyone doing Karla Homolka any favours????
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:46 am      Reply with quote
Dianne wrote:
I find this really disturbing. This is a bit of the interview transcript that she did the day she was released. Bordelais is her lawyer...

Bordelais: That's true and my client will tell you more about that, but speaking for me personally, I have received many e-mails, letters and phone calls from people who wanted to offer her a place to live: they've offered apartments, people offered jobs and money to my client and I have not had a chance to thank them personally.

But I also need to mention that there are people who are ready to open their homes and to offer support to allow for a successful social rehabilitation.

This is outrageous!!!!
How can anyone reward this sick woman with money and jobs and a place to stay in their home??? Am I missing something here? Are they nuts? Do they know what she did??? Do they realize that she only got 12 years because they didn't find out the truth about her involvement until after her trial??? She's been given plenty of breaks, why are people giving her more? I can't imagine how the families of her victims must feel when they hear this rubbish.

This makes me sick! There are so many people in this world who are truly in need of support, who really need a break in life, why on earth is anyone doing Karla Homolka any favours????

IMO, they think she's paid her debt to society, or feel sorry for her in the same ways some women seek out jailed murderers for companions or that she was just a victim of her husband's perversions. Which is so not the truth because she made her deal before the videos they taped of their crimes were discovered which showed her complete involvement. Sad I too think if anyone opened their home to KH they would quickly realise what she's all about. Like I said before, I hope her life outside prison is hell on earth for her.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:07 pm      Reply with quote
Dianne wrote:
I'd like to see her put away for life with Kelly Ellard as her roommate.

Looks like Miss. Ellard is going away for quite some time! http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1120744096706_116153296?hub=topstories
Caspers Mum

Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:13 pm      Reply with quote
Lolli wrote:
Dianne wrote:

This is outrageous!!!!

IMO, they think she's paid her debt to society, or feel sorry for her in the same ways some women seek out jailed murderers for companions or that she was just a victim of her husband's perversions. Which is so not the truth because she made her deal before the videos they taped of their crimes were discovered which showed her complete involvement. Sad I too think if anyone opened their home to KH they would quickly realise what she's all about. Like I said before, I hope her life outside prison is hell on earth for her.

Yeah, if she lasts out there. Who thinks that someone with a vigilante stance, will make sure that Karly Kurlsdoesn't get to enjoy her life in public for very long? All those who agree, raise your hands, and say, "I". wave
I love my Skin now!
5% products discount

Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:49 pm      Reply with quote
I have a 12 year old daughter and just the thought of the potential of Karla moving to my province or any province in Canada makes me fear for my daughter and all the young ladies across Canada.

Regular people do not do those things. Her whole victom story just doesn't work for me. She is unwell and we should not have to be subjected to her living in our society.

I am especially offended that mothers across Canada have to endure the constant stress of being on guard 24/7 over their children because murderers and sex offenders are allowed out of jail.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:37 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |