Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Products you dislike
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
missykiehls
5% products discount

Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:41 am      Reply with quote
snooops wrote:
Clinique everything, especially toner and moisturizers
Lancome moisturizers
Creme De La Mer (lots and lots and LOTS of mineral oil Mad )
DiorShow Mascara
DDF Sun Gel (contains alcohol Shock )

Talk about mineral oil - lancome moisturisers contains mineral oil as well and mineral oil CLOGS pores. I can't believe that Creme De La Mer contains mineral oil. Their products are so expensive but yet, mineral oil is a cheap by-product of the oil refining process.
Sweety Smarty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:10 am      Reply with quote
nice topic...
I really hate Pure Zone from Loreal,the hairwax from nivea,Lee Stafford shampoos(nice packaging anyway),colour adapt make up from Ellen Betrix, liptone from blistex, the Laura Biagotie shower gel... and much german made stuff
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:53 am      Reply with quote
Anything from NV Perricone is overpriced and completely useless. Fortunately I only ever spent money to purchase his “Moist Lips” (did you really expect me to say I bought anything other than a lip product???) and that sh*t dried out my lips so badly that they were cracking and starting to bleed!! Needless to say I returned it to Sephora right away. After that, I got some samples of other Perricone products from Sephora when the 3 free samples I selected were out of stock when I placed an online order, so they just sent me any old stuff. I don’t remember exactly what the samples were, but I know that I had a reaction and my face got all red and scaly which naturally made me very displeased.... Mad

This is slightly OT, but over the weekend they were showing “Legally Blonde” on TV, and there is this one scene where Elle (Reese Witherspoon) visits her client accused of murdering her husband in prison and brings her a basket full of “necessities:” Calvin Klein 750-count (??) bed sheets, a copy of Cosmopolitan and “the entire Clinque Skincare line” and I just sort of cringed because I was remembering all the comments from y’all about Clinque stuff being like linoleum wax stripper or glass cleaner....

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:56 am      Reply with quote
Carrie,

I think clinique spent a good chunk of $$ into that movie because of that, and did you notice the nail lady kept using the green clinique compact!?

eck!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:58 am      Reply with quote
I also forgot before that I absolutely HATE

Estee Lauder with a Passion[/b]

Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hmmm ... trying to think about this, so I may come back and edit my post from time to time.

One product the comes to mind immediately: Revlon Outrageous Shampoo & Conditioner. I think I tried it when it came out 12 years ago, and purposely left it in the girls change room (gym) at school. Someone else could have that crap! It was so heavily fragranced, that it gave me a headache! Embarassed

Those Revlon creamy, illuminating eye-shadow palettes. Great colors, but they really smeared everywhere. Brought them back to the drugstore.

Addendum: Revlon Lash Tint. Gross! It globbed my lashes together, and made them into hard, little spikes!
Caspers Mum

Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:43 am      Reply with quote
lianne wrote:
Carrie,

I think clinique spent a good chunk of $$ into that movie because of that, and did you notice the nail lady kept using the green clinique compact!?

eck!

Yes, actually, Clinique had a promo. going when the original movie launched. They had a little t.v. playing on their counter, with Hoku's "Perfect Day" video playing over & over. That is the theme song to the movie. I worked for Lauder at that time ( Brick wall Doubt , and had to hear the song a billion times a day! Aaargh! I saw that movie at a sneak preview, before it came out, and loved it, as I did the music. Clinique killed it for me! Then again, I was miserable with Lauder (someone, please kill me NOW! Stepford Wives personified.), and everything irritated me at this point.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
I knew you disliked lauder but had no idea that you worked for them and that was why!

I also tried the outrageous shampoo when it came out and got a headache. My bf's mom uses it and I can't get to near her or I get flashbacks!

I liked the legally blonde movie...saw it on TV last weekend! I like the end when warner is sitting there in his cap and gown pouting like a 5 year old.. Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:13 am      Reply with quote
I has been steering away from Clinique for ages so cant really post an honest review...not interested to try their pdts anyway...

As for Lauder I only use 1 product in their line - Advanced Night Repair...and havent had any adverse reaction after using up 2 whole bottles...(as long as a pdt didn't clog my pores and cause breakouts ...i am pretty happy !)

Dove shampoo make my hair itch like crazy after only 1 use I had to throw the whole bottle out. So did Pantene...

Really hated Obagi Te-Pads cleansing pads, supposed to control breakout but did exactly the opposite...after only 1 use! IMO the whole Obagi line is really harsh and definitely not recommended for beginners...

Found both La Mer & La Praire too rich for my oily skin, doesn't matter how expensive they are, definitely not for me..thank GOD Smile
SourApple
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
Ew.. where do I start..

Stila lip glazes are all too crappy and small to pay so much for them.

Ojon restorative hair treatments, sold at Sephora, are these semi-solid, brown concoctions that you're supposed to rub in your hands so they warm up and then rub through your hair. Oh. my. God. Worst thing ever put into my hair!

Drugstore hair stuff... Pantene, Tresseme, Herbal Essences, Dove, etc. Good if you like hair that feels like straw!! Also, the Aveda Sap Moss Shampoo did nothing for my hair and smelled like the dumpster! Embarassed

Drugstore cosmetics.. I really do believe that you get what you pay for. Wet and Wild, the worst cosmetics line ever! But everyone probably already knows that..

Terax hair gloss makes my hair TOO shiny, you really can't overdo it but even then you are overdoing it.
bkurant
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
GARNIER - hair color - the absoulute worst, most horrible hair product. some posted good reviews on mua which makes me wonder, what kind of hair do they have. mine is dry and very thick, still this incredibly bad product managed to do some damage Mad

ORIGINS - hair products - simply a waste of money

CLINIQUE - agree with others - skincare products are too harsh
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
SourApple wrote:
Terax hair gloss makes my hair TOO shiny, you really can't overdo it but even then you are overdoing it.

I love the Terax Gloss drops. It is just silicone. I think it really depends on the texture of your hair though. It is excellent for dry damaged hair, but if you just want shine, there are other products that would probably work better.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:07 am      Reply with quote
bkurant wrote:
GARNIER - hair color - the absoulute worst, most horrible hair product. some posted good reviews on mua which makes me wonder, what kind of hair do they have. mine is dry and very thick, still this incredibly bad product managed to do some damage Mad
Do you live in the U.S.? If so, I'd like to recommend that you take a trip down to your local Sallys Beauty and buy yourself some of the Wella Color Charm hair dyes. They're not sold in all-in-one kits like at the drug store, so the first time you buy the supplies it's about a $20 investment, but after that it's like $3.99 to buy additional tubes or bottles of dye.

The great thing about Color Charm is the results. I have tried every single DIY drugstore home hairdye kits and never ever got as good of results as I got with the Color Charm. I actually posted a glowing review of the Color Charm line on MUA if you want to check it out.

So anyway, the first time you use the Color Charm stuff, you need to buy the following items:

• (1) plastic mixing/application bottle - up to $3.99 depending on the one you choose;

• (1) pair of plastic gloves - not the cheapo disposable gloves, but a thick pair that you can rinse off and reuse each time, cost $3.99;

• (1) 32-oz bottle of color developer (this is the stuff that “activates” the dye) - $4.99, and you can choose if you need a 10%, 20% or 30% version based on your natural hair color and/or how light or dark you’re trying to go. The higher the percentage, the stronger it is;

• (1) bottle or tube of the actual hair dye - $3.99 and you can choose from semi-, demi- or permanent hair color. Personally, I buy like three different colors so I can custom-mix the shade I end up with.

Color Charm gives the most long lasting results I have ever experienced from any DIY haircolor and it’s very shiny and natural looking to. If you color your hair, I can’t recommend this enough. Although I would say that if you are a first-timer and have never colored your hair at home before, you probably ought to buy one of the drugstore kits that have everything assembled along with detailed instructions. But if you’re a hair-dye veteran, you already know all the tricks so you really need to try Color Charm at least once!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
I use Wella's color charm to keep the natural black looking hair that i have:) It doesn't look fake...and do you know how many people look so artificial with the raven look? I'm extremely fair too, and it just dyes my hair so lovely, leaving it nice and shiny. People compliment me all the time..I would definitely go to Sally's beauty supply and get some!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
bkurant wrote:

I was one of those MUA reviewers that like the Garnier hair colour. I colour my thick, healthy hair about once every 3-6 months to cover a bit of grey. My scalp isn't so healthy so I don't dye it all the time. I blow dry it once a month at the most, don't use hot irons of any kind, just add a bit of alcohol free styler, brush, fluff and go. I really like the scent of the Garnier product I used. It didn't trash my scalp and my hair is actually shinier and has been now for well over a month.

I agree on Clinique skincare, wow, this stuff is sooo bad. But, I like a lot of the makeup, lipsticks and eyeshadows are great.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:03 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Do you live in the U.S.? If so, I'd like to recommend that you take a trip down to your local Sally Beauty

I did some browsing on the internet the other day trying to locate the Sallys Beauty website. I was very surprised to see that they have stores in the UK. I've heard of it before but only regarding the U.S. locations. I've never seen one in the UK before but they appear to be all over the place. There is even one in my nearest town. Shock
I was just wondering if anybody knew if the UK stores stock the same products as the U.S stores.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:44 am      Reply with quote
Wow! That's fantastic, Toe! Must look up and see where my nearest Sally's is!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:54 am      Reply with quote
Toe wrote:
carekate wrote:
Do you live in the U.S.? If so, I'd like to recommend that you take a trip down to your local Sally Beauty
There is even one in my nearest town. Shock I was just wondering if anybody knew if the UK stores stock the same products as the U.S stores.
Wow!!! I had no idea. That's great, though, because now I won't feel bad recommending products that you can only buy at Sallys. Smile I'm guessing that the British Sallys stores will have many, if not all, the same products that are available in the U.S., but you'll have to give us a complete report after you visit your nearest location!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:50 am      Reply with quote
carekate
thanks, both for your advice and for such detail explanation.

i also saw wella pre-packaged boxes sold in some 'beauty' stores. do you know if the quality of those dyes is the same as from sally's?

also, may i ask what colors do you buy and mix? thanks
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
bkurant wrote:
...i also saw wella pre-packaged boxes sold in some 'beauty' stores. do you know if the quality of those dyes is the same as from sally's?

also, may i ask what colors do you buy and mix? thanks
I haven’t seen these ready-made Wella Color Charm kits of which you speak, so I don’t know for certain but if I had to guess, I would say that they aren’t as strong as the stand-alone products you can buy from Sallys.

It’s been my experience that manufacturers pretty much try to “idiot-proof” those all-in-one hairdye kits so that the person can’t screw it up, or at least screw it up beyond all repair!

I’m a natural redhead, but I have been giving Mother Nature a helping hand for the past 20 years or so, but only because my own hair started turning grey when I was 15 (don’t ask!!). I buy 2-3 tubes of various Color Charm shades to custom-blend my own color, but I can’t remember all the names. I know two of the colors are “Light Auburn” and “Dark Auburn” which I mix to make the perfect “Medium Auburn,” but then I add a dash of a medium golden-coppery-red just to make things interesting. Very Happy

This is my “base” color which I put down myself at home, then I work with my hair stylist (who happens to be a “master colorist”) and we decide anywhere from 3-7 differing shades of red, gold and brown to blend in as customized “carmelized” highlights and lowlights woven in differing widths/streaks depending on the particular haircut/style I plan to be sporting. Just because I wear my hair extremely short, doesn’t mean that it’s not versatile!

My favorite color “design” is when Chau puts down “convertible” color which means that the design is laid out in such a way that if you style or part your hair one way, your hair looks mostly this color, but if you style or comb it another way, the color appears to be completely different. Because I use a color-depositing shampoo once per week to refresh my color and help blend away tell-tale roots, I only have to get my color redone every 3-4 months, but if I were to pay Chau (my stylist) to do all of my color (base color + highlights) it would probably run me $275-$350 per session but because I’m able to lay down my own base color – and have it be the same “professional” type of color used in salons, it only costs me about $100 per session so I’ve really got it made.

Okay, I know this was way more info then you asked for, but anyway...I reiterate that Wella Color Charm is the best hair color I’ve ever used. The colors are true and there are dozens of shades to choose from and probably hundreds of color combinations that you can achieve by mixing different shades. Another thing that I really like is the fact that they tell you what color-family each shade belongs to, so you can’t accidentally end up with burgundy-red hair if you really wanted a coppery-red. The shades are labeled “violet-red,” “red-red,” “orange-red,” “ash-blonde,” “yellow-blonde,” “nuetral-blonde,” etc. so you can really pin-point the shade you’re going to end up with. The colors are super shiny and healthy looking (not “flat” and fake-looking like some DIY haircolors can be) and the color lasts much longer than any other permanent color, although – as I said – Color Charm has permanent, semi-permanent and demi-permanent formulas to choose from. In addition, they also have liquid formulations and gel formulations.

If you have any other general questions, or need additional specific information or recommendations, feel free to PM me.

HTH,
Carrie

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
all i can say - wow

the colors you descibed are exactly the color family i am interested in. thank you very much for such an informative answer.

i am still new to this forum. how do i post a pm? thanks
bkurant
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
SourApple,
i used to avoid wet'n wild ... that was before mua Laughing

you might want to check them out, as they do make a few very good products.
ex - lip pencil #666, some eyeshadows & lipsticks are as good as many high-end products and their all over shimmer powder is superb. Wink
yaling111
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:58 am      Reply with quote
clinique..I will never use it again
erinR
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:57 am      Reply with quote
Clinique and Lancome face care have always been super harsh and too expensive...
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:40 am      Reply with quote
I have to agree with Clinique. Last year I'd bought some of the line because I THOUGHT it was good skincare, but it made my skin really dehyrated. So I bought MORE from the line to try to get rid of the dehydration! Well, it wasn't until I moved completely away from the line and started with Dermalogica that my skin started to look a bit better.

I also really dislike anything that is highly perfumed ... like this Neutrogena retinol night moisturizer (can't remember the exact name), but it was so perfumed that it felt like it made my nose burn. Yuck!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:05 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |