Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Favourite Mascaras
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:52 am      Reply with quote
I thought this would be a good poll to run as a good mascara is always so hard to come by and we all look for different qualities in a mascara.

*How do you like your lashes to look?
*What is the last best mascara you have used?
*What is the last worst Mascara you have used?

For me I like the barely there look when it comes to Mascara.
The last best Mascara I have used and am currently using is Tesco's big lash, coats just enough and no clumps and it is not too dry in the bottle.
The last worst Mascara was one from MAC, far too clumpy, I was forever wiped it all off the brush.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:21 am      Reply with quote
I like mascaras that add length and volume, but not too thick formulas which tend to clump. At the moment, I'm mostly using waterproof stuff.

Favourites:
*Shiseido Distinguish (gives long lashes, the brush is pretty thin, so it's easy to use. It's supposedly waterproof, but not really so.)
*Lancome Flex WP (This is the waterproof version of Flextencils. Adds length and curl, and with more layers, you get nice volume. This baby is really waterproof. Just a pity it dries up after max. 2 months).
*HR Spectacular (true love since 1993 or so)
*Maybelline Volum Express (old formula)
*YSL Effet Faux Cils (for going out; unbeliavable length and volume. Want to try the WP version).

The worst ones:
*ALL mascaras by EL, in particular the Magnascopic
*HR Extravagant (clumps beyond limits, no length)
*Shiseido Lasting Lift (am I the only one who doesn't like this?)
*Lancome Amplicils both regular&wp
Sel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:20 am      Reply with quote
I like mascaras that aren't too thick or clumpy but give good colour thickness and length. I don't like the ones with added fibres.
My favourite one was a mascara by Shiseido, I think it was a curling one. I absolutely loved it but the reformalated it, and made it waterproof which it wasn't before.
I can never get waterproof mascaras off!

The worst was ModelCo Lascara - didn't do anything to my lashes except add a bit of colour. Is impossible to remove aswell.
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:15 am      Reply with quote
I like my lashes to look longer! I also prefer not to have globs on my lashes. I try to use all-natural products (or as close to it as I can get), so my product range is rather limited. The best two I have come across are Ecco-Bella and Dr. Hauschka. The Ecco-Bella gives a beautiful effect of long, thick lashes. However, if I'm not really really careful it gets clumpy and since it has some 'bad' ingredients in it, it can irritate my eyes. On the other hand, Dr H mascara doesn't give me as much thickness or length, but it gives enough to do the job and with very little clumping and no irritation.

Hands down, the last 'bad' mascara I used was by Jane Iredale. I bought one in purple and one in teal -- the colors were awful, the effect was awful, and it irritated my eyes on top of it! Ugh.
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:16 am      Reply with quote
Recently, because of Carekate's rec, I have been using Lamas Lash Masque. This gives me a natural colour and hold curl. For my day to day, it is perfect, and doesn't look I am wearing anything at all. If I go out, I use *real* mascara, like EL Lash XL or Mac Pro Longlash.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
For almost a year I have been using Lamas Lash Masque for a daily mascara. It give me just enough color to enhance my eyes for an everyday look. What I like most about it is it does not end up under my eyes like most mascara's. For a more dramatic look I wear Almay's Intense i-Color in green. Now Almay has a whole line of products depending on the color of your eyes (shadow, mascara, liner).
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
I like fullness and length to a mascara, plus it MUST be smudge/tear proof!

So far I like Blinc Kiss me because it doesn't smudge...but it doesn't give me the lenth or fullness and doesn't work well with primers.

I recently got Covergirl Multiplying Waterproof and it seems to be good so far. It's only been 2 days so we'll see. It lasted today through my crying fit after my boyfriend said something mean to me.

Almost every mascara I buy needs to be replaced within a month because it dries up or clumps like crazy. Blinc doesn't do that so it's good til I find my HG

Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:30 am      Reply with quote
I like my mascara just to define my lashes a little bit - this is on a normal daily basis. If I'm going out then I want something to give more volume and length. Clinique High Impact is good for that but I find it difficult to apply.

"Regular" mascaras that I like are: DiorShow, Blinc Kiss Me, Lancome Flextencils, Joey New York (the one with primer on other end), Lamas Lash Masque, ModelCo LashXtend (bordering on more dramatic), Clarins Pure Curl, and Maybelline Full&Soft (although this one has started to irritate my eyes!).

I've got a couple of MAC mascaras that I have not yet opened but reading people's posts here doesn't fill me with confidence Confused

Sel - I hear the same thing about Lashcara, many people say it's crap. Mind you, I just bought ModelCo LashBoost and it is *the* worst lash conditioner I have tried so far. Not sure if it works (may well turn out to) but it's positively gross and uncomfortable.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:16 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
Sel - I hear the same thing about Lashcara, many people say it's crap. Mind you, I just bought ModelCo LashBoost and it is *the* worst lash conditioner I have tried so far. Not sure if it works (may well turn out to) but it's positively gross and uncomfortable.
While we're on the subject, I got my ModelCo "Lash Gloss" on Saturday and let's just say I was completely underwhelmed. That sh*t is going back to Sephora post-haste! I got better results from a $5 tube of Covergirl clear mascara....

I tint my own lashes right now with a blue-black, so I just want a clear mascara that will give me just a hint of glossiness. Believe it or not, the best product that I have found for this is Ardell's Lash Growth Accelerator which isn't even a mascara, but a lash conditioner that is supposed to encourage growth. I've found that this stuff actually gives my bare lashes some definition (for the "natural, daytime look") and it also holds a curl all day with one of those traditional clamp-type lash curlers, so that's what I've been using the last few days and so far I'm very pleased!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:32 am      Reply with quote
Boy, I'm glad I got two ModelCo lash products that are working for me. It sounds like they're pretty inconsistent in quality! I still love their Lashwand to hold the curl, and really like their LashExtend!

Other mascaras - Shiseido Lasting Lift, although it's a p.i.t.a. to get off
Lancome Hypnose in a pinch, but it can get gloppy and thick - might as well use a Loreal mascara and save the money. (LashOut is not bad)

Still to try - Helena Rubinstein Lash Queen and Dior.

Maria Laughing

Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:02 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
While we're on the subject, I got my ModelCo "Lash Gloss" on Saturday and let's just say I was completely underwhelmed. That sh*t is going back to Sephora post-haste! I got better results from a $5 tube of Covergirl clear mascara....

I tint my own lashes right now with a blue-black, so I just want a clear mascara that will give me just a hint of glossiness. Believe it or not, the best product that I have found for this is Ardell's Lash Growth Accelerator which isn't even a mascara, but a lash conditioner that is supposed to encourage growth.

You guys a really lucky with being able to return used products back to the shops. If I bought a mascara here and didn't like it and wanted to get a refund (for no other reason) I think the SAs would just laugh... If we had the same policy here I'd return the LashBoost yesterday!

I'm very happy to hear you're still liking the Ardell. I'm *so* looking forward to trying this.... Drool

Mariav - I'm happy with the LashWand and the LashXtend as well. Seems those two might be the best two products in their "eye" range.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:57 am      Reply with quote
I was so disappointed with the ModelCo Lascara, wasn't just bad it was awful Smile
You cant take back mascaras here very easily. Its hard to return any used cosmetics etc unless you've had a bad allergic reaction to the product.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:25 am      Reply with quote
Sel wrote:
You cant take back mascaras here very easily. Its hard to return any used cosmetics etc unless you've had a bad allergic reaction to the product.
That just sucks bigtime! Over here, most retailers either give you a 30-day return policy or else they have an indefinite return policy (like Sephora). Most places require that you have a receipt for cash refunds, otherwise they’ll refund the purchase price in the form of a gift card/certificate for that amount.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:50 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Sel wrote:
That just sucks bigtime! Over here, most retailers either give you a 30-day return policy or else they have an indefinite return policy (like Sephora). Most places require that you have a receipt for cash refunds, otherwise they’ll refund the purchase price in the form of a gift card/certificate for that amount.

I think companies that don't offer returns are really missing out on a lot of business. How many of us will buy something more readily because we know we can return it for whatever reason?? I certaily will. I find most companies in the US are heads above most Canadian ones for great return policies.

Now, onto my fav mascaras! Very Happy

I want definition, colour and touch of length for daytime and false eyelash look for night Laughing.

Drugstore mascaras always seem to end up under my eyes by noon, and most department store ones are thick and clumpy.

For a bit of defintion and some length, it's Kiss Me all the way. No smearing, clumping, flaking and it's water/tear resisant as long as you don't rub your wet lashes. I've been using it consistently again for a few months now and my lashes are thicker because I don't loose as many lashes trying remove it.

I used Mary Kay's Endless for years and it was good for my daytime criteria but the tubes dry out quickly, I replaced it every month where as the Kiss Me lasts at least two. And, it was harder to remove than Kiss Me so I lost more lashes.

I've also used Lancome's Definicils which I like for daytime but for the cost, I would rathe spend my $ on Kiss Me.

Also, for just a colour Revlon's lash tint worked well, it's really thin so no fibres to irritate and it's waterproof. It's supposed to last three days but I remove it at night. I want to try Neutrogena's lash tint but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere here in Canada.

For a night out, it's Lancome's Hypnose sp? I've never had much success with volume mascaras but this one really worked for me.

Now, the worst mascaras, hmmmm. I tried a Dior for volume or lengthening or something, can't remember the name and it was awful!!! Stung my eyes and clumpy. Almay too stung my eyes but most mascaras do that to me. Maybelline Great Lash or whatever the stuff is in the green and pink tube, smears under my eyes within a hour, yuck.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:33 am      Reply with quote
I like chanel's masceras for a going out look and blink kiss me for regular days. on "no" makeup days, I like to use lamas lash mask.
Girlzmommie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy - you must be an extremely sweet and polite person, because if it was me and I was told by an SA that I couldn't return a product, I would throw the biggest fit right there on the spot!! Smile

Currently I'm using Lorac's mascara, and the color I like right now is Aubergine. Prior to applying I curl my lashes with my Shu Uemura curler (which I heat with a blow dryer) and I apply Shiseido's mascara base. My lashes are very long and hold their curl nicely throughout the day.
princesita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, you US ladies have no idea how lucky you are to be able to return things like that!! Besides Jurlique, (who told me I could return a cleanser they recommended if it irritated my skin), it's near impossible to get a refund on beauty products!!

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:48 am      Reply with quote
Girlzmommie wrote:
Mabsy - you must be an extremely sweet and polite person, because if it was me and I was told by an SA that I couldn't return a product, I would throw the biggest fit right there on the spot!! Smile

Hehehe Smile I'd like to think of myself like that but it's got nothing to do with it unfortunately. It's just the returns policy in Australia - it sucks!

Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
I refuse to buy expensive mascara anymore. My two favorites come from the drugstore: Rimmel Extra Super Lash (black) and Maybelline Volume Express Turbo (black).
Debra
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
I like my lashes separated, long, slightly curled and all pointing up! I always have one or two lashes that are bent, pointing to the left or right. Even with a spoolie or a lash comb, it's sometimes a challenge to get the little guy in line with the others. If I'm having a "good lash day," I feel good, and don't really care about any other imperfections. I also don't care about thick and full all that much.

Favorite mascaras:
I use Lancome cils booster primer first:
*Estee Lauder XL--dries quickly in tube, though
*Lancome Definicils
Back-ups:
*Lash Discovery
*Clinique High Impact

Favorite mascara fix:
*Jane Fan Club clear mascara: to smooth out clumpy mascara. Also use at end of day to freshen mascara. Use a light hand.

Worst mascaras for the look that I want: these formulas are just too thick for me. I'd rather put on multiple coats than one thick one.
*Bobbi Brown Everything mascara
*MAC Zoon Lash
*Prescriptives False Eyelashes

Recent mascara story: I do love EL's XL mascara. This formula is perfect for the look that I want to achieve. It goes on smooth, does not clump, lenghten and defines without looking fake. Does not flake. Dries to a soft, natural finish....not stiff. My issue with this mascara is that it dries in the tube rather quickly. After I noticed this with the first tube, I asked an EL SA about it. She agreed, that it does tend to become dry too soon after first opened. So, I e-mailed EL's corporate offices to inform, not complain, and share this experience with them....that I adore this mascara, but I have a hard time justifying the amount of applications for the price. I also commended one of the MUA's, Tiffany, at the EL counter at Neiman Marcus in Dallas. (She's fabulous) Not really expecting a response, I received an e-mail from EL Corporate, stating appreciation for the information, the positive feedback regarding the MUA, and to inform me that I would be receiving a $21.00 check in the mail to cover the cost of the mascara. I was/am surprised! I wasn't asking for anything....just trying to provide feedback on a product that I would love to see improved in some way. Wow....I'm still blown away. Two weeks later, I got a check, not a certificate or a coupon....a check made out to me. I think I'll take this and buy my favorite mascara that I've sworn off on!!!

oops....sorry for the lengthy post. Forgive me?
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
Debra wrote:
Not really expecting a response, I received an e-mail from EL Corporate, stating appreciation for the information, the positive feedback regarding the MUA, and to inform me that I would be receiving a $21.00 check in the mail to cover the cost of the mascara. I was/am surprised! I wasn't asking for anything....just trying to provide feedback on a product that I would love to see improved in some way. Wow....I'm still blown away. Two weeks later, I got a check, not a certificate or a coupon....a check made out to me. I think I'll take this and buy my favorite mascara that I've sworn off on!!!

oops....sorry for the lengthy post. Forgive me?

Wow, now that's *awesome* customer service!! Lengthy posts are my favourite kind! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:15 pm      Reply with quote
Still searching for my HG mascara. Everything I have tried is just average. I want something that makes me say "WOW".

Lori

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:03 am      Reply with quote
The mascara junkie just found a new favourite, and even a cheap one Very Happy, namely the Sky High Curves waterproof from Maybelline.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
My old standby mascara just made the TOP 5 best makeup bargains at Style.com!
Its LASH DISCOVERY by Maybelline.
Used it for years, love it. Very natural and its tiny wand reaches all invisible lashes. I do prefer a heavier coverage at night and switch, but for daytime; perfect.
Vanessa Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
Nemi wrote:
The mascara junkie just found a new favourite, and even a cheap one Very Happy, namely the Sky High Curves waterproof from Maybelline.

But it was not really waterproof, as I found out as I went biking and was caught in heavy rain...

Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:49 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |