Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

RIO Precious Legs
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:02 am      Reply with quote
This is a gadget that removes body hair via a process of 'micro dermabrasion' basically a small fine sandpaper disc which spins and is therefore supposed to remove hair.
I bought this on a whim (always a mistake), I thought it would be fine as years ago I'd tried a 'silkymit' a mit made of a similar paper and it had worked ok. I thought it would be an alternative to waxing (which is a pain) and it was supposed to be more effective than shaving and last longer.

The instructions tell you to do a test patch 24 hrs prior to treating the whole area, which I duly did and apart from a little redness (which they tell you is normal) it seemd ok. The following day I took the plunge and did half legs (to just over the knee).
Well I grant you it removed hair sort of and it seemed fine while I was doing it....BUT.....
It took a ridiculously long time to do for a so/so result and I can't say I was impressed. Worse was to come!
I wiped my legs over with a damp cloth as per instructions and I noticed they felt a little sore - rather like mild sunburn - but I applied the included after treatment lotion and though no more of it. About and hour later my legs were feeling really hot and sore - they were red and sore and even pure aloe vera stung. On top of that over the knees and down the shin I had raised red weals!!!
It has taken over two days for the main redness to fade and the soreness to become bearable (even a cool shower stung) and I still have red marks around my knees! (which is why I hated shaving and tried this as that's where you usually catch yourself!). My skin feels stubbly and I had to wear long trousers on one of the hottest weekends of the year as I looked dreadful.
I strongly recommend you DO NOT buy this product - it's PANTS!!! Now I know why they tell you to do it at night to 'allow any redness to fade - I thought it'd be red like you sometimes get with waxing but NOOOOOOO!!)
The scary part is you can't tell the damage its doing whilst you are actually doing the 'treatment' its only several hours afterwards - rather like sunburn where you're ok initially but a while later it hurts like hell!! (Not that I burn these days thanks to a great SPF LOL!)

Back to waxing me thinks once my legs have gone back to normal!

half out of 10 (half as it did remove hair(ish)...along with the top layer of my skin!)

Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:55 am      Reply with quote
Ouch! Thanks for the warning. I tried the Silkymit years ago and it was 'ok' but did hurt a bit and also took ages. Even though I wasn't quite impressed with it (far from it really) I probably would have tried what you just tried because I would have thought that it would be quicker and better than the Silkymit. I'll be staying away now! Hope your legs heal up quickly.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:07 am      Reply with quote
I've seen the Rio product on TV too. Thankfully I was never tempted due to an unfortunate incident with Silkymitt. I tried the Silkymitt facial strips and took the top layer of skin off. I was left with a top lip covered in weeping sores. Took weeks to heal. Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:09 am      Reply with quote
Ooh, painful Exclamation
I get waxed but it is always nice to be warned against nasty things. I hope everything heals up soon.
I had much the same experience with a home facial microdermabrasion product. I still have a couple of red spots that have never cleared up from a couple of years ago.I think the one I used was equivalant to sandpapering my face. It went in the bin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:31 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for your replies! Just would hate for anyone else to go through this!
Loopylori - I tried one of those dermabrasion disc sandpaper thingies - once! Ouch - shouldn't be allowed to sell them! I thought this would be ok as I've NEVER reacted to anything on my legs before! (Even at college when I was scalded with wax when we were training and my fellow student didn't check the temprature!!! - scarily the same student who attached a slendertone muscle /exercising pads to my chest muscles when we had to go throught the differnt muscle groups - turned it up high as I couldn't feel it THEN checked the connection - thought I was having a heart attack! Eek - wonder if she went on to practice as a therapist!! Shock )

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:00 am      Reply with quote
Lucia wrote:
Thanks for your replies! Just would hate for anyone else to go through this!
Loopylori - I tried one of those dermabrasion disc sandpaper thingies - once! Ouch - shouldn't be allowed to sell them! I thought this would be ok as I've NEVER reacted to anything on my legs before! (Even at college when I was scalded with wax when we were training and my fellow student didn't check the temprature!!! - scarily the same student who attached a slendertone muscle /exercising pads to my chest muscles when we had to go throught the differnt muscle groups - turned it up high as I couldn't feel it THEN checked the connection - thought I was having a heart attack! Eek - wonder if she went on to practice as a therapist!! Shock )

rofl
Sorry but that did make me laugh. I am doing a beauty therapy course at the moment and I could tell some stories that would make your eyes bulge but I wont.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:56 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |