Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Bare Essentials
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Susanna

Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
I went to Ulta today to try out this rage. I was so excited but I couldn't hide my disappointment when she showed me the finished result. First of all, it looked extremely cakey especially around my brows and above my lip. It made my pores look huge! It really sunk into the lines and pores and made me look much older than I am (25). And it didn't cover up the purpleness I have by my nose and cheeks. To top it all off, it looked orange.
The salesgirl launched into this big lecture about how dry my skin is and it didn't look right because my skin is too dry (my skin is oily!) She gave me the lightest color there is and it still looked orange.
Then she informed me that she doesn't do "makeovers" for free and I needed to buy something. I told her I wasn't going to buy anything that made me look this bad to which she threw the brush down and walked away!!
Is it possible she put it on wrong or put too much? Or do you think BE just isn't for the large pored woman? Thanks for help!
princesita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
Shock How rude!!! I can't believe she was so mean to you... A lot of people love BE but many have made the same complaints as you (that it accentuates large pores). I use the JI pressed powder and have no problems with it (any areas where my pores stand out I just blend with a flocked sponge).

In relation to your skins condition, although you say you have oily skin perhaps the dryness the SA was referring to was caused by lack of exfoliation? MMU definately sits better on exfoliated skin... if you have any "dry" patches, the powder clings there and looks unnatural. A product everyone on EDS seems to love is DR H Cleansing Cream. It gently deep cleans and exfoliates and also has helped to reduce pore size for many people. I use a similar product made by Jurlique (Face Wash Cream).

Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:25 pm      Reply with quote
I was appaled too.
Ok, I tend to shy away from pressed powder because the oil from my skin gets on the puff and then ruins the powder. I don't like rubbing my face with an oily gross puff so usually Iuse loose powder.
I think I need a new cleanser. I currently use Cetaphil which is great for sensitive skin like mine but doesn't do much for acne. I really have to be careful what I use. Even slight changes throws my skin out of whack. So complicated! Rolling Eyes
princesita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:45 pm      Reply with quote
JI do make a loose powder too, but I haven't tried it myself so can't comment on how it would work with enlarged pores. It's supposed to be for a dryer skin and the pressed is for oily skin. I haven't had any problems applying it or getting oil from my skin on the brush (I wash my face first, then apply toner, vit c and suncreen - I let the vit c and sunscreen soak in for 5 or 10 mins before I put my make up on). I think a few people who use oils as moisturisers (such as the Dr H Normalising Oil) have said this happens with their pressed powder. Someone suggested a way to stop it but I can't remember what it was Question

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:38 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, what terrible treatment from an SA!! Mad

I have really large pores, and I love BE. It sounds to me like the SA did not know how to apply it properly. She also probably chose an incorrect shade for your skin tone. BE only needs the lightest application - it certainly should NOT be visible around your eyebrows!

My guess is that she waaaay overapplied. My skin looks awful if I put too much on as well. But a tiny amount lightly buffed over the face does wonders for my complexion. One thing about BE - it does take a couple of minutes for the makeup to "set" and give your face a soft-focus look. I think this is one reason many people over-apply.

Don't give up on minerals - there are lots of brands out there to experiment with! I would complain about the SA too!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:55 am      Reply with quote
Oh no,what a horrid sales assistant, think she needs a personality transplant! Shock

I'd say you need to experiment yourself. I tried BE about a year and a half ago and had to learn how to put it on. At first I put way to much on and looked caked! My lines showed up also my pores...

After about a week I got the "knack", Now I would never change to any other make up...I got so many compliments from people!

Sounds like the SA didnt know how to apply it...

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:15 am      Reply with quote
I would report the sales assistant.

Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:44 am      Reply with quote
That's terrible! I'd call or write to the manager (and possibly to BE as well - I'm sure they'd like to know why their product isn't selling as well in a particular store Smile) to complain. It's possible that she just didn't know how to apply it. I haven't had any problems with BE making pores visible or with it looking cakey - unless I over applied (it looks awful then!). You really need to have a light hand and a good brush for it as well. It helps if you set it with a spritz as well - I find it makes it look completely natural. I use JI myself because I don't like the pearly finish of the BE though...

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
Susanna wrote:
Ok, I tend to shy away from pressed powder because the oil from my skin gets on the puff and then ruins the powder. I don't like rubbing my face with an oily gross puff so usually Iuse loose powder.
I have very oily skin and use Jane Iredale pressed powder which I apply with the JI Handi Brush and it works a treat. I do NOT use a powder puff or makeup sponge to apply my JI pressed, although I know there are a couple of EDS members who apply the JI pressed with a flocked sponge.

Another reason that the BE may not have worked for you is that it has a more “luminescent” (i.e.: pearly/glowy) finish so it can accentuate oily skin and/or enlarged pores. The JI pressed foundation has a more matte finish. I used BE for three years and thought it was wonderful, then I tried JI and found that it worked even better for my skintype!

If you don’t want to invest in the JI pressed foundation before you know if it will work for you, you may order pressed and/or loose samples Jane Iredale foundations fromwww.skin-etc.com for $3 each, plus a flat S&H fee of $5. It’s a great way to see which formulation and/or shade will work best for you.

BTW - I use “an oil as moisturizer” (Decleor Ylang Ylang Aromessence oil) as Princesita mentioned – although it would be more accurate to say that I use the Y-Y oil *in lieu* of a moisturizer because it helps control my excess oil, and don’t have any problems with it looking cakey. Some people might argue that this might be because I also apply a thin layer of Milk of Magnesia (yes, the laxative) as a “mattifier” then sweep on a layer of Jurlique Rose Silk Dust as a “primer” before I apply my JI pressed foundation, but even before I discovered the Rose Silk Dust, I never had any problems with my BE or JI foundation looking cakey.

And, as everyone else said, the biggest trick to using mineral makeup is learning the correct application technique – something the Ulta sales assistant obviously hasn’t mastered! What a b-itch! I think having an attitude problem is actually a prerequisite to getting hired to work at Ulta because I’ve run into my fair share of pissy, overly made-up women who don’t know a damn thing about the products they sell. If you try to ask them a question about a certain item, they won’t admit that they don’t know the answer, instead they’ll try to push you into buying a completely unrelated product!

Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |