Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
gentlest cleanser out there?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
I am very stubborn at trying new products..this is through experience, trying new things usually have almost always messed my skin up and turned me into a tomato. The only line that i ever use on my skin for moisturizer and cleansers is cetaphil, which i have stated in many posts. I read so many people using "gentle" cleansers..but when i read the ingredients im blown away at how harsh they sound. So my challenge is...anyone out there with very sensitive skin that can help me break my stubbornness and try something new? I'd like to know there are cleansers out there without alcohol, plant extracts, fragrances *cant tell you how many of these "gentle" cleansers i hear of that contain them* ::cough:: decleor... and many other things that can make someone with sensitive skin cry in horror. Right now my skin isnt acting up..its soft, and doesnt get mad at me all too often. I'd just like to hear good cleansers for future reference..

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:31 am      Reply with quote
Hi purpleturtle wave
I want to tell you about my holy grail cleanser.. SPECTRO JEL skin cleanser, I've used every skin cleanser under the sun and this one is a keeper! I've been using this for about 3 years now and never have strayed from it! Its cheap and works great for sensitive skin, my skin is extremely sensitive and I never have probs. It removes makeup and cleans well without drying out your skin, it's fragrance free, doesn't contain any sodium lauryl sulphate, lanolin or parabens, its truly awesome stuff! Its texture is kinda of like a gel type that can be used on wet or dry skin. I buy mine in a 500ml pump bottle for around 14.00 dollars cdn and it lasts me around 6 months! Very Happy

They come in three different kinds, one for sensitive, problem prone skin in a purple and white bottle which I use, one in a green and white bottle I don't care too much for, I wouldn't try that one... it smells kinda funky, and a blue and white bottle, which I haven't tried cause I like the purple and white one so much!

I think it is only sold in Canada, but there is a website you can order from... www.feelbest.com/spectro.cfm
Take the plunge and try it out for yourself, I swear you will love it! Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:34 am      Reply with quote
Oh, and btw, I can't even tolerate cetaphil, it broke me out too! Thats how sensitive I am!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:09 am      Reply with quote
Try to get samples of Jurlique's line for sensitive skin Very Happy
skybaby
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:48 am      Reply with quote
I too am extremely senitive and breakout from Cetaphil. I have been using DCL non-drying cleanser for several years and have never had a problem. I does contain Stearyl Alcohol and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate but I have never had a problem.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:56 am      Reply with quote
Hands down, the Cetaphil cleanser. Theres lots of good ones right in your own drug store. The Dove cleanser is very mild too.
mom2tommax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:45 am      Reply with quote
You may want to try a sample of Dermalogica's Ultra Calming Cleanser. It is very gentle yet really takes off dirt and make-up. even stubborn mascara.

Lori

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
I too use Cetaphil for sensitive skin. I have oily, acne prone skin but it doesn't break me out. I think the main thing is to rinse it off really well.

Spectro Jel contains ethanol, if you are the least bit sensitive to alcohol in products I would stay away from it. I can actually smell the alcohol in it. On the plus side it does not contain Sodium lauryl sulphate which can be irritating. The knock off Spectro Jel at Shoppers does contain sls. Cetaphil has it but it's less than 1% and it's used to emulsify the ingredients. I find Cetaphil soothes my skin, literally, I love it. I am currently using LRP Tolerine Dermo cleanser at night because it's gentle and it takes makeup off better (I use a waterproof JI concealer that can be stubborn) and it's good but not as soothing as Cetaphil, it irritates my eyes a bit. I don't think I'll be repurchasing the LRP as it's expensive and isn't as gentle as Cetaphil.

I'm so with you on the frustrating fact so many companies say their products are for sensitive skin but then add alcohol, plant extracts and fragrance.

I was going to try Dermalogica Ultracalming Cleanser but it has lavender which my skin absolutely hates, it gets very mad at me after I use it.

I've heard good things about Dove too but does it have fragrance? I thought I detected a fragrance while sniffing the Dove products at Wal-Mart the other day.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
I think there is no way to avoid the fact that all cleansers will have something even mildly irritating in it...why? you need something to clean your skin..therefore, itll have to include something to do so...I suppose if you have acne prone skin, cetaphil's gentle cleanser might cause breakouts...but everything, and i mean Everything else ive ever tried gave me rashes or made my skin feel tight. I cannot use fragrances what so ever...and plant extracts in a cleanser? alcohol?!?! Crying or Very sad ouch. My skin is soft and happy...i suppose its best not to mess with something that works good Smile Thanks for your comments!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
oh, and Lolli,

I've have read many people talk about dermologica's ultra calming cleanser...I wouldn't waste my money with all those horrible ingredients i see..lavender is the 1st ingredient on the list! youch..

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
there is this really nice milk cleanser from "peau vive"
you should try the one for sensitive skin. It's from italy. I use it and it's very nice, smells yummy too....but has no artificial purfume.
misskatblack
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:14 pm      Reply with quote
I quite like Avene's "Extremely Gentle Cleanser" (they also have just a "Gentle Cleanser"). I find it settles down my temperamental skin. I also used the Avene Skin Recovery cream when I had rosacea and it cleared it up fine. Also, I find I don't break out much with Cetaphil if I use baking soda with it to make a light scrub and make sure I wash it off well.
queenbluebee
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:38 pm      Reply with quote
Mix bottle with 1/2 water and 1/2 baby shampoo. Wash face. Apply moisturizer. It works.
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:54 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I have tried a wide array of products and have made it my interest to know most ingredients in them. Let me just say, any chemical in a product will definitly irritate your skin, this also includes most parabens that are chemical mostly petro-chemical derivatives that preserve products.

Of cours products need to be preserved to have a shelf life, but did you know there are many 100%natural preservatives the reason they are not used by certain companies is because it cost a lot more money. Also Sodium Laurel Sulfate is cheap to buy as well as all the SD alcohols and other cheap chemicals.

My point Jurlique has one of the best lines of products for Ultra Sensitive skin, and lasts a long time. They are 100% pure and organic.

Check it out as your skin will be calmer and less chemicals going into your body.

Feliz
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:32 am      Reply with quote
Feliz wrote:
Hi,

I have tried a wide array of products and have made it my interest to know most ingredients in them. Let me just say, any chemical in a product will definitly irritate your skin, this also includes most parabens that are chemical mostly petro-chemical derivatives that preserve products.

Of cours products need to be preserved to have a shelf life, but did you know there are many 100%natural preservatives the reason they are not used by certain companies is because it cost a lot more money. Also Sodium Laurel Sulfate is cheap to buy as well as all the SD alcohols and other cheap chemicals.

My point Jurlique has one of the best lines of products for Ultra Sensitive skin, and lasts a long time. They are 100% pure and organic.

Check it out as your skin will be calmer and less chemicals going into your body.

Feliz

I have to disagree, not all chemicals are irritating! Mold and bacteria (and some natural preservatives like citrus products) are far more irritating and bad for you than parabens. Yes, Sodium lauryl sulphate and alcohol products are cheap and irriating we shouldn't use them. But, I don't think you need to spend rediculous amounts on a cleanser, especially when it's being washed down the drain in a matter of minutes! IMO, all you need to clease your face is some sort of emollient to dissolve whatever you are trying to cleanse off. Be it plain oils or an emmulsion of oils, water and preservatives.

As for the Jurlique Ultra Sensitive Face Wash
(200 ml $62.00 CAD)

The ingredients are:
Sichuan Peppercorn, Tea Tree Oil, Groomwell (Zi Cao), Chamomile Oil, Lavender Oil

I wouldn't pay 62 cents let alone $62 to put peppercorn on my face!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:16 am      Reply with quote
Hi Lolli,

The peppercorn is not pepper it is a chinese herb that is really calming. Its each persons choice what to use on their face. I personally do not purchase products from the drug store as they are not the best quality.

Yonka also has really nice cleasers, but I was giving advice on what is the best I have seen on highly irritated skin.

I agree you dont need to spend a fortune on a good cleanser yet unfortunatly most of the best products are a bit expensive.

P.S I have an extensive background in Chinese medicine & Ayurvedic medicine, Western and Indian herbs, aromatherapy and Esthetics. My specialty is skin and skin disease. The patients I see tend to have very inflammed, highly irritated skin where water is a problem.

Feliz
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:49 am      Reply with quote
Lolli, i totally agree with you on that one. Lots of chemicals are not as harsh as they sound..they are emollients...stuff people Especially with dry skin need. I have dry skin...and thats something that is essentual for my cleansing and moisturizing routine:)

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:55 am      Reply with quote
Feliz,

I have looked at all kinds of lines...even jurlique. I've learned in the past that spending a lot of money on things like cleansers have done nothing but dry my skin out. I went to see a dermotologist a few years ago...i had a lot of red i didn't like in my skin. I had one zit...what did he do? He diagnosed me with acne. Then made me buy all of his horrible products which irritated my skin more. Since ive had some photofacials and have been using very little products (cleanse once a day...its all i need...) , My skin looked better than it ever has. I do not react to water other than it drying my skin out...i definitely need moisture; though using a product that doesnt even contain water would mean there would be an amazingly high percentage of some other oil in the product...and unfortunately the only oils ive ever used on my skin are...well, olive oil. Would need to get used to that indeed! (very skeptical..) :P

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:01 am      Reply with quote
i should really think before i post a million responses...Forgot to add that it also REALLY depends on percentages...for instance...parabens. If i see a paraben listed as a second ingredient out of like...10, i think "Wow, that is kind of messed up." If they are the very last thing on the list, im not so intimidated by the product. Every product i use contains some sort of paraben, but thats also because i use so many products specifically for moisturizing that need that need preservation. I look at other products not made for dry skin and hardly any of them contain ingredients with parabens...but, they contain harsh alcohols ect, and a lot of the time they are not last on the list. bleh!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:59 am      Reply with quote
Feliz wrote:
Hi Lolli,

The peppercorn is not pepper it is a chinese herb that is really calming. Its each persons choice what to use on their face. I personally do not purchase products from the drug store as they are not the best quality.

Yonka also has really nice cleasers, but I was giving advice on what is the best I have seen on highly irritated skin.

I agree you dont need to spend a fortune on a good cleanser yet unfortunatly most of the best products are a bit expensive.

P.S I have an extensive background in Chinese medicine & Ayurvedic medicine, Western and Indian herbs, aromatherapy and Esthetics. My specialty is skin and skin disease. The patients I see tend to have very inflammed, highly irritated skin where water is a problem.

Feliz

Ah, I didn't know it wasn't pepper. From this definition though, I still wouldn't put it on my face! All other write ups were about this 'spice' for cooking.

http://web.foodnetwork.com/food/web/encyclopedia/termdetail/0,7770,1800,00.html
http://web.foodnetwork.com/food/web/encyclopedia/termdetail/0,7770,2292,00.html

Sichuan Peppercorn
Szechuan pepper; Szechwan

Definition: [SEHCH-wahn; SEHCH-oo-ahn] Native to the Szechuan province of China, this mildly hot spice comes from the prickly ash tree. Though not related to the peppercorn family, Szechuan berries resemble black peppercorns but contain a tiny seed. Szechuan pepper has a distinctive flavor and fragrance. It can be found in Asian markets and specialty stores in whole or powdered form. Whole berries are often heated before being ground to bring out their tantalizing flavor and aroma. Szechuan pepper is also known as anise pepper, Chinese pepper, fagara, flower pepper, sansho and Sichuan pepper.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hi purple turtle

How about olive oil? No alcohol, no fragrence (unless you want to add a drop of rose otto EO, no parabens or SLS no nothing. It's great for dry skin, it's very mild, removes make up and is incredibly cheap!

massage into face and then remove with a warm damp flannel, rinsing between each wipe.

If you don't like it, the big advantage it has over the other ones mentioned is that you can put it on your salad Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
I have to go with Gupagirl on this one, I think the gentlest and most effective cleansers are found in the kitchen cupboard, I like ground almonds then mixing in whatever oil I have at hand, my skin is the best it's ever been since I have stopped using bought cleaners.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
I was just looking around for topics on gentlest cleansers in the forum and came upon this thread. Anyway, Vernacular Skin Works http://vernacularskinworks.com/ seem to be the mildest product out there but some of you still get irritations from it. I found this Gentle Clean. It's from SkinBio so maybe this is the gentlest of all facial cleansers.

http://www.skinbio.com/gentleclean.html
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:25 pm      Reply with quote
http://vernacularskinworks.com/ These products look amazing!! Right up my alley for ingredients and philosophy, thank you for posting it! I can't find the ingredients of the Skin Bio cleanser though.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:28 pm      Reply with quote
I have tried the cleansers from Venacular Skinworks. Unfortunately the gentle cleanser made my face itch and the cleansing oil broke me out Sad

FYI, the gentle cleanser still has detergent (decyl glucoside, disodium cocoamphodiacetate)

Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:56 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |