Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Your Fave NATURAL looking self tanners?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
SourApple
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
I am so glad I found this forum Razz Anyway, I started using tanning beds two months ago. I liked the initial results, but to my shock and horror, I've started getting multiple freckles and my skin feels leathery. I'm only in my twenties.. so.. I decided a better approach would be to take better care of my skin so I don't look wrinkly by the time I'm 30.

The problem is.. I still wanna be tan.. I've used self tanners before that come out streaky and ORANGE (ahem Neutrogena). Please, someone tell me that there are good self tanners on the market.

I've been using Jiffy Tan by Benefit and it's a miracle but, only lasts until you take a shower.. it's a bronzer lotion thing.

PLEEEAZZZ help Very Happy
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using Jergen's Natural Glow. The price is right, gives a very natural tan and moisturizes my skin nicely. Jergen's Natural Glow is a self tanner that you can use everyday. The tan builds as you use it. I find that after the first three days of use I only have to reapply once a week to maintain my tan. Lovely product Very Happy
SourApple
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
But it's so cheap.. Silenced In my experiences, the cheaper the worse. But, I will buy a bottle tonight and let you know if it works. Hopefully, for its price, it does.
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
But, Sour Apple, the ingredients that cause a self-tan are the same in the cheap stuff as compared to the expensive, it's the DHA that darkens the skin. IMO, less is more with this stuff and that's where Jergens comes in. It will take a couple days to see results but because they are gradual there are less mistakes and virtually no orange tinge. Olay's version is nice too! I love the smell of it, I think it's vanilla where as the Jergens has a definite fake bake smell. Olay's is more expensive though.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:46 pm      Reply with quote
I'm very fair and used self tanners starting with iodine in baby oil back in the late '70s; surprised I have any skin left. Over the years have tried, I think ALL the tanners. My fave Macys brand was Clarin and they gave me sweet, nice sized samples to try. I've even had massaged/salon tanners applied, sprayed on like a car paint tanners and now, found a salon who hand sprays... but I've found them to be sometimes runny(!) or very unnatural looking.

THEN due to this forum, I read the reviews and tried Jergens!!!! THEY were right! I bought the light lotion and found it gentle and easy to use. It takes more patience as its NOT overnight color, but I prefer being able to decide how much I want and where. But its very natural appearing. I really like it. Using it on the face, it does have a bit of tanning odor, but some have used it with added scents to soften.
So hope you have good luck! Let us know! Vanessa

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:50 pm      Reply with quote
I love the Holiday Skin by Johnson's (that's the company name, right? Here in Europe, it's marketed under a variety of names dependent on the country). It comes in two formulas and give a light, foolproof colour. Of course it smells a bit like self tan, but not as bad as all the others.

I've given my St Tropez a break for the summer, because HS is more foolproof and less messy. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:38 am      Reply with quote
Try Ecotan, its another excellent one. It never goes orange...its from QVC, priced £12 for 200ml.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:09 am      Reply with quote
I've sampled a few this summer, Jergen's, Coppertone, and more (can't remember the name). The best I have found is a product called "Savage Bronzer". It's found at Sally's Beauty Supply and is a mousse type tanner. I use a light moisturizer beforehand and then quickly rub in the self tanner. Of course I blend afterwards around my knees and ankles.

I've been very happy with this product. Smile I get a nice color within 2 applications and it stays on rather nicely after a shower. My legs are rather pale and this product gives me a nice color. Smile

Sally's has a great return policy if you don't care for the product. G'Luck!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:39 am      Reply with quote
How about dr hauschka bronzing concentrate? from the forum, its getting great reviews!
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:04 am      Reply with quote
What self tanner would be recommended for fair skin for legs, mainly the backs which are white and then the front of mine are tanned Shock Laughing , same with my arms and oh go my stomach is white and then above the breasts is tanned Laughing
I need to be able to blend my existing tan to my white bits.
Also I have been wearing shorts all summer so have a short line, can't tell you all how daft I look now in bikini bottoms....it goes tan, white, bikini bottoms Rolling Eyes Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:09 am      Reply with quote
Rosebud, I love Fake Bake, St Tropez and Ecotan. They are my 3 favourites for lovely natural non orange colour, you can make them as light or as dark as you like...

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:34 am      Reply with quote
I always use Coppertone's Endless Summer Foam in Light/Medium for the body, and either L'Oréal's Sublime Bronze in Deep or Garnier's Ambre Solaire for the face (from the chest up). I avoid color guards/tints at all costs and always self-tan at night because it does not mix well with sunscreen.

Here's what I use ...
Image Image Image

Without a self-tan: Photo taken for my website. (Yes, I'm really this fair. LOL) I scrub self-tanner completely off after 3 layers applied every 3-4 days, because any more can mottle the results - at least for me!

With a self-tan:
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:10 am      Reply with quote
WOW I've just seen your website, you are stunningly beautiful!!! You even looked good before the atkins Very Happy
I'm glad you found something that worked for you and you have sold me on the fake tan Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
I agree, Rosebud. You are gorgeous, Sheila! Whatever you're using, sign me up!! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for saying that ... but really, you should see my Medusa hair in the morning! lol

Edited to add: If you are unable to locate any of the above products in your neck of the woods and wish to try them, let me know & we'll work something out. I found the Ambre Solaire in Dublin last month and have been hooked on it ever since!
Miss Shoes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
For me,

St. Tropez, tinted self tanning lotion is the best by far, and I've tried them all. This is the nest and it doesn't come off on your clothes & bed sheets.
shoegal
5% products discount

Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
I wish that I could look like Sheila! Crying or Very sad
Shelley01
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:15 am      Reply with quote
Sheila, you do look wonderful! Congrats and thank you for your website, I love to see people’s success stories!

I needed some inspiration and I think I have found it in this forum. My story is the reverse of Shelia’s. I was super active and addicted to being healthy and fit when I was in college. Then, I found love and married……he said I was too difficult about what I ate and he turned me on to ice cream……not that I blame him for he was not shoving the ice cream down my throat! But I have gained 20 pounds in the past two years and I am sick of it.

Sheila, I am going to use you as my inspiration! Wish me luck (and God give me strength to say no to chocolate cake)!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:27 am      Reply with quote
Shelley01: Shelly is my older sister's name! Therefore, my mom always calls me Shelly and her Sheila. LOL

By the way, if you ever need help/tips/encouragement, I'm here for that. Smile It's what I do!
SourApple
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
You are so pretty Sheila! Smile I just bought Jergens Natural Glow. The shelves were full of them at Walmart. Im applying my first "coat" tonight and Ill come back with results in a few days.

P.S.- I don't think it smells bad Shock
Sassyred
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
At first I didn't like Jergens but now I do, what can I say! Wink The other I like is Neutrogena's micromist Tanning spray on! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:27 am      Reply with quote
I applied my first layer last night. The smell is ONLY noticable when you sweat, and even then it isn't that bad.

By the way, there is no noticable change in color for me. Understandable, since it's supposed to be gradual.
misskoslow
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hey there---
I am very fair (as fair if not fairer than Sheila) and I also use the Jergen's Natural Glow. I have used expensive stuff as well (Decleor for one) and I just haven't been happy with the results. I have also used 'Sublime Bronze' (one of the ones Sheila uses) and maybe I just don't put it on correctly because it ends up splotchy on me. Sometimes it can just be so hard to put on! Keep going with the Jergen's and give us a review in a few days...I'd love to know what you think.
SugarFreeSheila
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
Oh! I forgot to mention that I also use the Neutrogena MicroMist Spray in Medium on my hands & feet to keep them nice, even, and natural-looking. I use it immediately after doing the arms and legs, and simply blend upward the wrist/ankle.

Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:38 am      Reply with quote
OMG - Sheila - you are so pretty!!! How inspirational is your website?! It must be great to get emails from people you've inspired.

That Pilates for Dummies looks very interesting. It's all very timely as my sister and I had a conversation last night about each of us losing twenty pounds. We're supposed to be starting Monday.

Laughing Maria

Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:38 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |