Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

MMU & blackheads
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:08 am      Reply with quote
It's probably just me and my freakish skin Rolling Eyes but I've noticed that since using mineral make-up I seem to be getting more blackheads. Anybody else noticed this with their skin?
Mineral make-up has definitely helped with preventing and clearing pimples but for some reason it seems to be encouraging more blackheads to appear on my nose and chin. It's not the particular brand of MMU I'm using as I've been using samples from 4 different companies (one of which is JI) in my quest to find the perfect colour. I've had the same problem with all 4 brands.
Any idea why this is happening? I thought MMU wasn't supposed to block pores. hmm

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:39 am      Reply with quote
Toe -

The girls on the delphi boards are usually so good with these types of questions.

If JI is the only MMU you are using that has Bismuth in it, then maybe it's the amount of TO or other oxide or maybe it's mica that's causing your breakout. Some MMU's use silk power, so maybe that could be a culprit? It's all kind of process of elimination.

Some even suggest it could be the brushes used for application? But I'm sure you use really good ones.

It was the Bismuth in the Jane Iredale that finally caused me to seek alternatives. I really thought this was the best of the best of MMU, and I was so bummed when I couldn't use it anymore. The breakouts were horrible. Chin and forehead went nuts!

I've have good luck w/ Botany 101(they're out of business tho!), BareFaced Minerals, and Aromaleigh. Lots of girls love Pure Luxe foundation as well, but although I love her camoflauge line and colors, I couldn't get the foundation to work for me.

Maria Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
My forehead has had breakouts lately and I really never had problems on my forehead before...hmm. I so don't want to give up my JI though, I've tried Pure Luxe lovely but too matte, Cory's I think it's called, BE and another I can't think of right now, JI is the best for me in so many ways!

I thought the bismuth particles were too large to really get into the pores?? I was thinking it was the beta hydroxies freaking my forehead out because it works well on existing blackheads but seemed to be causing more trouble where I had none before. But who knows now! It just never ends! Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies, it has given me some stuff to think about. Will have to investigate the list of ingredients further. Smile
It can't be down to the bismuth as 3 of the brands I have been using don't contain it. Perhaps it is down to the mica or one of the oxides.
It's such a shame that this has happened as I was really starting to enjoy using mineral make-up. I will continue to use it but it looks like I need to keep on searching for the right formulation for my skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:27 am      Reply with quote
Oh, dang Lolli....you sound so much like me with the forehead breakouts! I never had them before and was so in love with JI that I refused to believe it was the bismuth that was doing me in....alas, it was (it took an estetician to confirm it). I stopped using it (reluctantly) and my skin went back to normal.

Maybe it's the way the bismuth is combined with the other ingredients that cause the reaction? Who knows. If you look at other cosmetics, it's not like bismuth is new to them, but maybe it's just how it reacts with the minerals?

I know it stinks.

Maria

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:36 am      Reply with quote
Maria, it's so sad. Sad I can handle pimples but I recently had a couple on my fourhead that were so painful. I had to go back to using benzoyal peroxide, nothing else was working. The bp really does work for me if I don't over do it and spot treat but I would rather not have to deal with them. The thing is, what's a person to use?? I can't imagine going back to liquid foundation and I need coverage. I have a foudation primer on it's way, wonder if it would help stop the ingredients in the powder foundation effecting my pores so much? What do you use now for foundation?

5% products discount

Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:45 am      Reply with quote
Yikes! I need help here, too.
Funny that you mention it.. I've never, ever experienced a blackhead before (my skin has plenty of other problems) but about two weeks ago I noticed them on the bridge of my nose. I didn't even know what they were at first, I thought it was some sort of bruise.. but alas, they were blackheads, and I've been using mineral make-up (I've been using Bare Escentuals) for about a month and a half/two months now. I really LOVE mineral make up compared to disgusting liquid foundations.. but in addition to the blackheads (those were the first and I'm hoping the last.. do you think more will come about with time?), it seems to really dry out my skin.

I do naturally have dry skin.. and I might be attacked for this Sad but I use Clinique's 3-Step system. I love it. The soap is mild and gets off my eye make-up, the toner (#2) makes my skin feel really, really clean and kind of a minty fresh, and I'm using the Dramatically Different gel instead of the lotion (the lotion is pretty greasy, the gel is not).. This system seems to be what is best for my skin without being outrageously expensive. Acne has always been a huge problem with that and Clinique helps so much (3-step system + their acne solutions). I've tried everything from drugstores (one thing that I would recommend that is really great for getting rid of acne - Neutrogena Advanced Solutions for Acne), tried ProActiv (it worked, for the most part, but other things work better and are more convenient to get ahold of), tried independent, unknown cleansers (got no results).. I was at a loss. So basically, Clinique is what's best for me right now. It keeps my skin blemish-free. Pretty much every other moisturizer I've ever tried has made me break out. Ick.

So here's my question.. should I use a different brand of mineral make up? Something that won't look so dry on my skin?

I don't have any complains about BE other than the dryness. I think the coverage, the look, and the feel of it are fantastic. [/b]
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:00 am      Reply with quote
Welcome to the forum! Very Happy
Don't worry about using Clinique. If it works for you, that's great. Don't let anybody talk you out of using it if you are happy with it. Smile
I'm new to mineral make-up so can't recommend any specific brands that would be better for your dry skin. Maria is the mineral make-up expert round here. I think she's tried lots of them. I believe that Aromaleigh do a foundation that is more emollient that the usual mineral make-up formulations. It is designed for dry/sensitive skin. Haven't tried it myself so can't comment on how good it is. Let's hope Maria comes along soon and can share some of her MMU wisdom. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:07 am      Reply with quote
There was a recent thread about MMU and one of the owners of a smaller company posted and said she would do custom orders and add Vit E for those with dry skin. Maybe if you do a search you can find the thread. I believe it was either Pure Lux or Barefaced Minerals.

5% products discount

Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:31 am      Reply with quote
Found it Very Happy It was BareFaced Minerals, in case anyone else is interested.
Now I'm going to have to choose a brand (BareFaced Minerals, Aromaleigh, Jane Iredale, Evans Garden, Pure Luxe, Alpha Skincare) and then judge from online pictures which shade is going to be right for my skintone! Augh!

BFM looks pretty promising. The Aromaleigh foundation colors kind of baffle me.. maybe it's my computer but a lot of them look really purple. I don't know about JI, PL, EG, or Alpha.. bah
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
Awwwww, Toe you make me blush!!! I gotta say tho, that I have tried many an MMU, but it's so hard to offer really concrete advice when our skins are all so different.

Over my trials and tribs with them, I really have found a few that do the trick both color wise and coverage wise, and when my skin gets a little dryer in the winter I give myself a couple of days off of the minerals and use something like Lancome's Absolue foundation (it is really nice, and I'm not a huge Lancome fan), give myself a moisturizing mask, then go back to minerals again. I also recently tried Affirm foundation which is a gel base and it claims that it's supposed to be better than all conventional foundation - mineral or otherwise. It is nice, but once you get your samples (which is all I've tried) you go on automatic ship to the tune of $50 bi-monthly. I don't think so!!!!

Okay, off topic for a moment....

Taintdlov - I totally agree with what Toe is saying about Clinique. If it works for you, don't let some of our horror stories with it scare you off!! Laughing That's wonderful that it's doing the trick.

The dry skin feeling with the minerals can be an unwanted side effect. The only thing I can suggest is to truly moisturize the heck out of your skin before application and give it enough time to sink in before applying the minerals. Maybe give your moisturizer a little oomph by using a B5 gel, or even a drug store product like Olay Regenerist Serum to give you skin that silky feel and prime it for minerals.

You mention - Bare Faced Minerals....LOVE THEM!! Rhonda is a sweetie and yes she will add vitamin E for a smooth feel. Yes, I do have it (someone get me in a 12 step program)just ordered another in "Beyond Neutral" in Ultra Velvet x-tra coverage w/added E- although don't let the x-tra coverage scare you, it's really a nice medium coverage. If you email Rhonda, she will gladly add the E. It's a lovely foundation.

Aromaleigh - another one of my favorites. Aromaleigh has probably one of the largest selections of color for foundations of all the bloody lines combined. Don't let your monitor confuse you! You can also play scientist and mix and match with samples to find your perfect shade, or you might nail it without mixing. Their Glissade is formulated for skin that gets dry or sensitive w/minerals. The minerals are coated to give them a velvety feel. It's a great foundation. Some girls got a little nervous b/c it's a silicone type coating, but one of the forum moderators over at AL explained what kind of silicone it is and how it works. The Voile is a lighter coverage and the gals with the oilier skin seem to like that. May I add that their lipglosses are FAB and the rouge color "Verve" is awesome!!!

Jane Iredale - sort of the mother of all MMU. A fabulous line if your skin can tolerate the bismuth oxychloride. I would have never began my search for a new MMU if the Jane didn't break me out - (I truly never broke out before it). I loved it.

Evan's Garden - super great people over there too. They have some great skincare products and are extremely knowledgable and kind. My skin did not love the foundation, but again, they are a great and reliable company who are willing to help you any way they can.

Pure Luxe - couldn't get a foundation to work for me, but the corrective line is great (Line Eraser, No more Red, etc.)Great customer service, super fast shipping.

ASC - Very reliable line and super great owner. Again, couldn't get the foundation to work for me, but I know girls who say this foundation, once applied, doesn't budge - it doesn't matter the weather.

Oh Good Heavens - I've used ALL of these lines!!!! Seriously kids, that's just wrong! lol!!!!
Laughing
Maria

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:32 am      Reply with quote
Mariav wrote:
Oh Good Heavens - I've used ALL of these lines!!!! Seriously kids, that's just wrong! lol!!!!
Laughing
Maria

It may be wrong for your bank balance but it's good for us because it means you are able to pass on your extensive experience of MMU. Very Happy
Another MMU question for you, Maria - how does the coverage of the Aromaleigh (both Glissade and Voile) compare to BFM? Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:02 am      Reply with quote
I would say the Voile is very similar to BFM's "regular" foundation. It's quite light feeling and natural.

The "Glissade" is more on par with the X-coverage Velvet in BFM. But neither of them feel cakey or heavy or anything - just light and natural. The feel is very similar on your skin if you get the BFM with the added E. Both make your skin feel very soft.

Maria Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:15 am      Reply with quote
Hey Maria, I've copied/pasted your MMU descriptions, thank you for posting!

I want soooo badly to try Aromaleigh!!

For now, I'm going to stick with the pressed JI base, it has Bismouth as the 2nd ingredient , the loose has it as the 1st ingr. I'm most likely in denial over the Bismouth. But the pressed version looks so natural even with a lot layered for coverage, I love it! What I'm going to do is quit using my vit c serum for now and see if that helps.

5% products discount

Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, Toe for the welcome. wave
And thank you, Maria, for your expertise.
I ordered a bunch of samples from Aromaleigh and Evan's Garden (I can use Evan's Garden dry, right? Mixing it with the cream is an extra step I'm not really interested in).. fingers crossed. I'm almost completely out of my BE though and these samples aren't going to last me long so I've got to make a decision quick.
The more I look into things, though, the more brands of mineral make up I find - making everything even more confusing!

If Aromaleigh doesn't quite work and I won't be ordering full sizes from them, I want to try ASC and if they don't work I was planning on running to BareFaced Minerals and from there, maybe JI? I wish I could just stick with BE Sad maybe instead of trying to find a new MMU brand I should find a new moisturizer? It's just so hard to mix moisturizers with acne gels, it gets complicated. What are you other girls with acne using, that doesn't cost a fortune (my mother's passed away, I live with my father and he doesn't really understand why some zits bother me so much, and therefor isn't too keen on spending anything on treatments)?

Does anyone know anything about the following brands?
Geografx, Au Courant, Monave, Youngblood, GloMinerals, Pur Minerals, Bare Minerals, or Philosophy? I saw that Mineral Make-up Mania thread and website .. yikes! More options!

..Edit: Just ordered foundation, blush, concealer and a couple of samples from BFM.. turns out Rhonda lives a maximum of about 30 minutes away from me! I ordered the canteloupe XC (shades of sunshine) because for some reason it wasn't in regular's drop down menu. Oh well, I'm sure it will be fine. I asked for the added vitamin E. I'm really excited and hope it works out for me. I need new makeup!!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:34 am      Reply with quote
Just reading this thread and was going to order some of the samples, Luxe one already on its way Laughing

I use clinique superfit foundation and their oil free tinted moisturiser, I am still on my quest to get rid of these blackheads round my nose and chin. Also use Ruby and Millie loose powder, could this makeup be the cause of my blackheads? And am I correct in thinking that the mineral makeup is best for not blocking pores?

Toe have you had much success in getting rid of your blackheads? At the moment I am trying the Epidermx and while I can see them getting nearer to the surface they are not disappearing Rolling Eyes
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:59 am      Reply with quote
monalisasmiler wrote:

Toe have you had much success in getting rid of your blackheads?

The only product I have found that helps get rid of my blackheads is the Dr Hauschka Cleansing Cream. The only trouble is that it is so time consuming to use. I find that to get the best results I need to use it for about 4-5 minutes. That's 5 looonnnnnggggg minutes of pressing and rolling this product onto my skin. OK, in the grand scheme of things 5 minutes is really not that long but along with all the other products I use in my daily routine it all starts to add up and it's taking me longer and longer to leave the house in the morning. Laughing
I plan to try the Jurlique Face Wash Cream once I've finished with the Dr. Hauschka product. Although the Hauschka stuff is very good, it doesn't eliminate the more stubborn blackheads and so I'm hoping maybe the Jurlique stuff may work a little better as you use it in conjunction with the appropriate Aromatic Hydrating Concentrate which may be the extra step that my blackheads need. Smile

The only other thing that works for me is squeezing them. Embarassed

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Oooh heck, have just reordered my lize earle cleanse and polish Embarassed Nevermind. Let me know how you get on with the jurlique, my list grows day by day Rolling Eyes
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:35 am      Reply with quote
I still use my Liz Earle C&P. The Dr Hauschka stuff won't remove make-up and so I use a normal cleanser first (Liz Earle, Elemis, Sothys, Dermalogica - depending on my mood Very Happy ) and then if I am not feeling too lazy I follow up with the Dr H Cleansing Cream.
I imagine it will be the same case with the Jurlique.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:41 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Toe, I too have the Dr H, will go back to giving it a go, as you say, it is very time consuming, I spend ages in the bathroom now Laughing
crazyskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
The Dr. H CC does take some time but I so loved the glow it gave me right after that I didn't mind. In fact, I couldn't wait to get home at the end of the day for my Dr. Hauschka time. This is pretty embarassing Embarassed but, uh... while I'm pressing and rolling I'm singing "Do the Hauschka" (to the tune of "Do the Hustle"). Of course, the much desired glow lasts maybe 10 minutes, but regardless! Laughing Glow is precious stuff! Laughing That said, I'm off my beloved product for now coz I started having the product adjustment breakouts 2 weeks into using it. If my face were clear to start with it wouldn't be a big deal but I'm still trying to calm down terrible hormonal breakouts. I can't wait to come back!

OK, re blackheads - At first use of BE minerals I did have a minor blackhead problem. The fix that worked for me was lighter application of the minerals and thorough cleansing the minute I get home. Also, a clay mask 2-3x a week coaxed existing blackheads out and is preventing new ones from forming. HTH
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:07 am      Reply with quote
Toe wrote:
monalisasmiler wrote:

Toe have you had much success in getting rid of your blackheads?
...Although the Hauschka stuff is very good, it doesn't eliminate the more stubborn blackheads and so I'm hoping maybe the Jurlique stuff may work a little better as you use it in conjunction with the appropriate Aromatic Hydrating Concentrate which may be the extra step that my blackheads need. Smile

Toe / MonaLisaSmiler -

You ladies really need to try the homemade aspirin mask for your blackheads. If you use it 1-2 times per week, the salicyic acid softens the little blackhead "plugs" and they come right out without having to apply any pressure! Once you get the nasty little buggers out, then the Dr. H CC can really do it's work keeping the blackhead plugs from reforming. I used to have a stubborn crop of blackheads across the bridge of my nose that had been there nearly since before I hit puberty, but I’m happy to report that they are no more!

The recipe for the aspirin mask is posted over in the DIY Skincare Recipes thread, but here’s the synopsis:

Dissolve 2-3 uncoated aspirin in a couple of drops of water or similar liquid (I use aloe vera juice). Apply thin layer of mask to entire face, avoiding your eyes and mouth. Leave on for 10-15 minutes. After alloted time has elapsed, wet your fingertips and begin massaging the mask on your face, remoistening your fingers frequently. After you have massaged the mask all over your face, rinse well with lukewarm water, pat dry. Follow up with application of your fave toner, then any serums, treatments and/or moisturizers.

Note: Even though you may be tempted because the results are immediate and astonishing (i.e.: fading of red marks or blotches from past breakouts), do not use the aspirin mask more than 2-3 times per week as it can be a bit drying to the skin. Even if you don't normally use a moisturizer regularly, if your face begins to feel dry or tight after using the aspirin mask, make sure to generously apply moisturizer.

FYI - I use aloe juice in which to dissolve my aspirin and add a bit of honey to help the mask adhere to my face, because some users experience flaking of the aspirin particles as the mask dries and sometimes these can get up your nose and make you sneeze.

You can get a jumbo bottle of generic, uncoated aspirin at the drugstore/chemist for a dollar or two, so this is one skincare experiment that isn’t going to break the bank and if you loose your stubborn blackheads in the process, what have you really got to loose?!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:18 am      Reply with quote
OOh thanks Carekate, I can't wait to try this Very Happy I have had these pesky blackheads since my teens, and after reading on the forum have tried loads of stuff, but they just seem to be still there, can see them even clearer Embarassed Am definitely going to chemist's tomorrow, will let you know how I get on. Laughing
crazyskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hiya Carekate, Smile
I've been wanting to try the aspirin mask too. What stops me is the thought that it might sting too much. I get stinging from a 2% salicylic acid lotion I use from time to time. In light of the recent sensitivity of my skin would you still recommend it? If you experienced stinging what did you do to calm your skin down?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
hi Crazyskin,

I know this was directed to carekate, but I just thought I would add my 2 cents.

I think you could still try this mask, but could start out slowly. Try 1 aspirin to start. I mix mine in yogurt (sp??), but the aloe juice sounds like it might be good if you have sensitive skin. Also, one time I added honey to the mask, and it made it much weaker. Then just start with 5 mins, or less even if it stings you. Smile

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:32 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |