Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Tantowel - YUCK
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:51 pm      Reply with quote
I saw this in london drugs and thought I'd give it a try...

well...it went on streaky, super dark around my ankles and knees which has never been a problem with other tanners.

About 2 hours later I got so incredibly itchy I scratched patches of the tan off and I looked rediculous for 3 days until it wore off.

NEVER again will I try it...

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:12 am      Reply with quote
I've not heard one good review for any sort of tan towel.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:32 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for posting this review, Lianne - I see this product *all the time* on the Canadian Shopping Channel.... I've thought about trying it - now I *definitely* will pass on it - thanks again!
Pudoodles
Gucci
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:34 am      Reply with quote
haha Luckily I have never tried this! Sorry to laugh but the image of you with scratched off patches on your legs made me smile! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:39 am      Reply with quote
They go on about it on the Shopping Channel like it is the holy grail or something!! Geez....
Pudoodles
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
I've gotten a lot of swap requests on MUA just nothing that interests me yet...

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
Those things have always looked like a pain to use to me. lol Never tried them, but I thank you for the review!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:30 am      Reply with quote
The concept is great (it's supposed to exfoliate, apply the tanner and moisturizer in one fell swoop), but they need to work on the delivery a bit. Other companies now make their own versions of tan towels (I think Estee Lauder, and possibly Lancome...I see them mentioned in magazines like Allure and InStyle all the time), but I've been leery of trying them in case they're no better than TanTowel. About the only good thing I can say about TanTowel is at least the "experiment" only cost me about $2 bucks because I found a store that sold them individually!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
Eve wrote:
I've not heard one good review for any sort of tan towel.

My Mum bought a pack of this sort of thing. Can't remember who made them, just some cheap knock-off brand.
I decided to try one out on my legs one day while kicking around the house feeling bored.
The depth of colour was so strong. Also, it was a really fake looking colour. Far too orangey.
Like Lianne said, it applied all streaky and I ended up with really dark ankles. Still, that was partly my fault as I didn't spend much time exfoliating round that area. Embarassed
I didn't get any reaction from it though. The stupid colour didn't bother me either as it was in the winter and so I could hide my legs under my trousers. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
I made the mistake of buying its predecessor from the shopping channel last year (can't remember the name offhand), but it was a complete waste of money Sad
I didn't bother returning them, so I guess I can only blame myself - wish I had tho!

Anya
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
There is a bit of a learning curve with tan towels. To me they are so convenient. The thing is you have to wipe and wipe over and over basically until you're dry. I always get very good results, even tan too.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:58 pm      Reply with quote
SusieQ,

hmmm....doubt I'll try again just because of the itchiness. Let me know if you want to do a swap Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:14 am      Reply with quote
Lianne, it sounds like you're allergic to an ingredient in the tan towels. I wouldn't bother using these again if thats the case.
beti
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
What a pity you had a bad reaction, it's always so disappointing when this happens. I find with tantowel that at first I go an almost orange colour but after a shower it's a nice brown colour.
Barkingdog

Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:33 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using the Tan Towel brand from The Shopping Chanel for years and just love them. Can't stand any other type of self tanner, they are just too messy and streaky. I find the Tan Towles to be clean, easy to use and I don't go out in shorts at the beginning of summer without them on my legs. I also use them a couple of times in the winter on my face and hands, to give me a bit of a healthy glow, if I have a special occasion.

I wouldn't be without them.
oncloudten
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:45 pm      Reply with quote
Tan towels work for me, too. 2 tips:
always exfoliate first. And I use those disposable gloves so I don't have to worry about the palms of my hands!

Clarins makes a creat lotion type bronzer...can't remember the name right now!

V
pal
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:27 am      Reply with quote
Yep I really like Tantowel especially the spray which I combine with the towels
Seeking~HG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:48 am      Reply with quote
I LOVE the L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Towelettes. During warm weather months I use both the body towelettes (in "medium") and the face towelettes (in "light-medium"). They are easy to use and aren't messy like the lotions. And best of all, they don't have a horrible smell. Oh yea, even better--the face towels didn't cause acne flare-ups. I find that going on, the scent is pleasant, but once the chemical reaction takes place there is a mildly annoying odor, as in all self-tanners I've tried, but it's not so bad in this brand/type. In my opinion, the size and thickness of the L'Oreal body towelette is much better than the TanTowel. I tried the TanTowels once and HATED them. They didn't rub on smoothly because the towelettes are so thin and small. The color from the TanTowel wasn't that great, either. They ended up in the garbage. So . . . if you like the idea of a tan towel, give the L'OREAL SUBLIME BRONZE SELF-TANNING TOWELETTES a try!

5% products discount

Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:50 am      Reply with quote
My coworker uses this and I think it LOOKS wonderful on her! She is blonde, fair skin naturally, and brown eyes.

She has tried a million tanning products, but swears by this. I haven't tried it myself, but once I jump on the self-tanning bandwagon, I think I will try this one. She says the use of the towel is foolproof, and based on the looks of it for her, she is right.
ritas
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
thnx for review!!

Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
I have tried a new product...Solerra self tanning mitts...after reading so many positive reviews on different beauty blogs I ordered the mitts and their tanning lotion. I love them! I think my search for a perfect self tanner is finally over! The great thing about the mitts is they have a plastic liner, so you don't get anything on your hands. I think this company has dealt with every negative issue with self tanning. It smells great (doesn't have that after smell like most) and it actually moisturizes my skin rather than drying it out, which was one of my biggest problems. I use a mitt once a week and use the lotion on my face in between mitt applications. (I ordered from their web site and they sent me a re-usable mitt for the lotion!) I love the way it makes my skin feel, I am done trying other tanners!
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
I have not heard of this product before, but it sounds terrible. Sorry it created such a problem on your skin.
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
sounds bad....i think i read somewhere the spray tanning booths work well for that nice even tan rather than something like this. Anyone tried it?

Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:25 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |