Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Sodium Laurel Sulphate Free Shampoos
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
nicky1
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:05 am      Reply with quote
After reading here that sodium laurel sulpahte is bad for ur hair i bought on saturday the Body Shops honey moiture one for dry hair which doesnt have it in it and also the aussie 3 minute miracle. My hair was really soft and shiny and didnt feel stripped. Is there a better Sodium Laurel Sulphate free shampoo that u can reccommend??

Thanks
Nicola

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:11 am      Reply with quote
I love RENs sulfate free shampoo - the best I've tried so far - the manketti cream conditioner is lovely too!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:13 am      Reply with quote
What is REN (is that Redken??) where do u buy it??

Thanks
Nicola

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:45 am      Reply with quote
REN website provides a list of stockists.
You can buy it online at the following sites:
Beauty Expert
HQ Hair
Chemist Direct
Must Have

QVC also sell REN products but I don't know if they do the haircare range. Confused

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:56 am      Reply with quote
many thanks toe for the help.

have looked at their products - flip they are expensive but if u rekon they are good then maybe they are worth the money. Will check out QVC, as if they are crap then i can send them back!

Nicola

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:08 am      Reply with quote
I've never tried their hair products. I didn't actually realise they did them until Lucia mentioned it. I have used one of their cleansers and the lip balm. Both are really nice. You're right though, Nicola - they're a bit pricey. I recently tried two of their face mask products. Waste of money, although the packaging was very nice. Still, £17 a time is a lot to pay for nice packaging. Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:10 am      Reply with quote
I have curly hair and get alot of information onwww.naturallycurly.com and switched to Devacurl products and they are awesome. I don't believe you have to have curly hair to use them and I do blow my hair out on some days and I see a big difference - it's smoother, shinier and less frizz. You can only get Devacurl at salons but it's worth it to me. The website also promotes Jessicurl which is sulphate free.
skin adict
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:21 am      Reply with quote
I use one by Aubrey which is okay. Also used one from a local "celebrity" hairdresser that is sodium laurel sulfate free and doesn't lather, but kinda felt weird. I have a sensitive scalp and had problems with what resembled cradle cap in babies. Since switching to the Aubrey it's lessened. I also had a couple grey hairs popping up and was worried I'd have to start coloring my hair. Since switching they haven't come back! Also looking into One products which are supposed to be completely organic.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:55 am      Reply with quote
If you color your hair, sulfate-free shampoos are a must as it is the sulfates which actually strip the dye from the hair!! To give you an example, sulfates are a detergent, and the same sulfates that are used in most shampoos are also used in the exact same dishsoap that you use to wash a load of dirty dishes in your sink. Think about it: if your dishsoap containing SLS is strong enough to eat through caked-on food, what is your shampoo containing SLS capable of eating through??? I mean, if you ever run out of dishsoap and can’t get to the supermarket to buy another bottle, you could always run to the bathroom and snag your bottle of shampoo to do double-duty!!

Pureology products, which are specifically made for color-treated hair, don’t contain sulfates, but they are pricey ($20 for a 16-oz bottle). If you’re in the U.S., you can find a nice sulfate-free shampoo at your local Walgreens pharmacy called “Paves Professional No Sulfates Allowed Shine Repairing” shampoo for about $6.00USD per bottle (this is the same line that does the shine serum made with essential oils that I recently raved about). Unfortunately, Paves products are currently only available in America, and only at Walgreens pharmacies or possibly on their websitewww.walgreens.com, although I don’t know if they ship internationally....

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:49 am      Reply with quote
skin adict wrote:
Also used one from a local "celebrity" hairdresser that is sodium laurel sulfate free and doesn't lather, but kinda felt weird.

Would this happen to be the Chaz Dean 'Wen' stuff?
I was reading about this product the other day. Wanted to know what it was like.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:56 am      Reply with quote
Yes it was! That's the name - I couldn't remember it. I used two different blends of it and liked it in that it was soothing for my sensitive scalp. But then after a while, it felt like there was a residue and my hair which is naturally oily with dry ends would get really oily really quickly. I'm Asian and my hair got really flat since it's already kind of straight and heavy.

I tried the Pureology (sp?) and while it doesn't specifically have sodium laurel sulfates, it has something relatively similar and my scalp got all irritated within 2 days of using it.

Currently am using Aubrey which I bought at Whole Foods and will probably try the Miessence products since they are organic after I finish up the Aubrey.

Whew!
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
I am totally devoted to Aubrey Organics shampoos, and none of them contain the dreaded sodium lauryl sulfate! I'm not sure what cradle cap is....but I have had problems with an itchy and flakey scalp, and so far the best Aubrey shampoo has been the special care calendula fern. It is absolutely amazing and my scalp is very much improved with no itching if I wash often enough.

Aubrey's carries a big selection of shampoos, so if you are looking for sodium lauryl sulfate free I'm sure there is one right for you.
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
I love pureology shampoos and conditioners. They are a bit pricey, but a little bit goes a long way, so that makes up for it.
happyhippie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
Miessence- shampoo is good, not conditioner
Druide- great shampoo for shine and volume, conditioner is OK
Simply Organic- great split ends treatment!
John Master Organics- good repair shampoo and hibiscus conditioner
Other brands; Weleda, Dr. Hauschka, Aubrey organics, Marocco method, Real Purity... that's all I can think of now Very Happy
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
I also have seborrhea dermatitis on my scalp (itchy, irritated, flaky etc). Purology, Aveda, and Avalon Organics made me very itchy.

A few more sls-free shampoos:
- Earth Science
- Kenra
- Giovanni
- Living Nature

If you are in the US, you can email customer service at Kenra and Giovanni for free samples.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
mtview wrote:
I also have seborrhea dermatitis on my scalp (itchy, irritated, flaky etc). Purology, Aveda, and Avalon Organics made me very itchy.

A few more sls-free shampoos:
- Earth Science
- Kenra
- Giovanni
- Living Nature

If you are in the US, you can email customer service at Kenra and Giovanni for free samples.

I second your list. Also, go to this site for certified organic/natural hair care products among others:

http://www.bewellstaywell.com/hair_care.htm

I especially like the Giovanni Hair care products. I also have used Earth Therapeutic's Clari-T Acne Serum º5, and although I liked it, I didn't purchase it again because for some odd reason, they included SLS in the ingredient. That's indeed odd since it is an acne cream and not a shampoo, toothpaste, or cleanser. Avalon Organics I like as well. Aubrey-Organics I want to try. Jason Natural stuff are average. The Aveda hair gel sucks! I'm curious about Living Nature's stuff, so far I've only used their Manuka Honey and Oil Gel which has a very strong herbal smell (with a hint of athlete's foot fungus....yuck!). I wonder if their other products have this smell too. Oh, don't forget Beauty Without Cruelty and also Kiss My Face.

You can buy natural hair care products here:
Drugstore.com Natural Store
Mothernature.com
HerbalRemedies.com

Or you can go to your local Whole Foods Health store.

If you like natural stuff, here's another website for natural skin care that you might find interesting:
Vernacular Skin Works
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:54 pm      Reply with quote
eSquire415,

I think my scalp doesn't like lavender. Aveda shampure and Avalon both made me very itchy.

Btw, I tried the gentle cleanser and oil cleanser from vernacular skinworks. Unfortunately they didn't work for me Sad

I just read about another line, Real Purity, that got some rave for their shampoos.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:05 am      Reply with quote
I'm super allergic to anything Aveda. They say all natural but there's something in their products that is kind of funky. Everything I've tried that they make causes an immediate allergic reaction.
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:32 am      Reply with quote
LOTS of companies say all natural, unfortunately. You really need to look at the ingredients because you'll start seeing a few things that you need a chemistry degree to understand. Wink In my experience only a small percentage of those 'all natural' companies are really all natural according to their ingredients list -- and even then I'm not convinced there are things that aren't listed. The way the laws are written I believe they don't have to list every single ingredient.
Dabawenya62
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
If you color your hair, sulfate-free shampoos are a must as it is the sulfates which actually strip the dye from the hair!! To give you an example, sulfates are a detergent, and the same sulfates that are used in most shampoos are also used in the exact same dishsoap that you use to wash a load of dirty dishes in your sink. Think about it: if your dishsoap containing SLS is strong enough to eat through caked-on food, what is your shampoo containing SLS capable of eating through??? I mean, if you ever run out of dishsoap and can’t get to the supermarket to buy another bottle, you could always run to the bathroom and snag your bottle of shampoo to do double-duty!!

Pureology products, which are specifically made for color-treated hair, don’t contain sulfates, but they are pricey ($20 for a 16-oz bottle). If you’re in the U.S., you can find a nice sulfate-free shampoo at your local Walgreens pharmacy called “Paves Professional No Sulfates Allowed Shine Repairing” shampoo for about $6.00USD per bottle (this is the same line that does the shine serum made with essential oils that I recently raved about). Unfortunately, Paves products are currently only available in America, and only at Walgreens pharmacies or possibly on their websitewww.walgreens.com, although I don’t know if they ship internationally....

Hi... ULTA Beauty sells PAVES products on their website. I'm not sure if our ULTA here in Dublin, CA have them in stock, will have to call yet...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
http://store.yahoo.com/cranberrylane/shampoo.html

I found a shampoo base here which looks so great! I love Cranberry Lane. Smile

Unscented Natural Shampoo 125ml

Contains: Filtered Water, Saponified Castor, Jojoba, Palm, Olive, Shea butter, Coconut oil, Soybean Protein. Horsetail, Coltsfoot, Nettle leaves infusion.

I'm thinking 'saponified castor' is a good alternative to SLS and SLES. It's really bare bones, no scent or colour added, I love that! Weeee! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
ABBA has a nice SLS free shampoo, I love it!!
SugarFreeSheila
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:24 am      Reply with quote
I never use anything with sulfates in my shampoos, and mainly use Aveda products meant for my specific hair type. Sometimes I use the Pureology line as well, because I love their peppermint-scented conditioner!
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:15 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acne_detective/article6.htm#inglist

Ever since I found this list of "INGREDIENTS THAT CAUSE OR EXACERBATE ACNE" I look at it every time I consider a product for my face or hair.

She rates certain ingredients according to their comedogenicity and irritancy levels and Sodium Laureth Sulfate and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate rate really high on the comedogencitity scale and equally mid range on the irritancy scale, I won't use any product on that scale that is higher than 0. I've read that Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is more irritating than Sodium Laureth Sulfate but had no idea they were the same nor could be such an acne causing agents! Yikes! I'm assuming these are scientific ratings where they put the substance the inner rabbit's ear?

Paula Begoun, who I trust to get to bottom of what cosmetic ingredients are actually doing to our bodies, recommends using SLES and not SLS. She has SLES in her shampoo and facial cleansers. The one I tried for normal/oily skin (One Step Face Cleanser) was terrible, it stung my face something fierce. Sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
mtview wrote:
eSquire415,

I think my scalp doesn't like lavender. Aveda shampure and Avalon both made me very itchy.

Btw, I tried the gentle cleanser and oil cleanser from vernacular skinworks. Unfortunately they didn't work for me Sad

I just read about another line, Real Purity, that got some rave for their shampoos.

Hmmmmm, that's very interesting. They seem to be the mildest product out there. So I found this Gentle Clean. It's from SkinBio so maybe you should try it.

http://www.skinbio.com/gentleclean.html
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:12 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |