Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

when can/should you start using products with retinol?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Mabsy

Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
I've been reading reviews for products with Vitamin A lately and I'm wondering if being 26 I'm too young to use them? I don't know why but I have this perception of retinol being used to reduce the appearance of wrinkles (which I can happily say that I yet don't have). At what age is it recommended you add retinol to your regime?

More specifically, at the moment I'm looking at the MD Formulations Vit-A-Plus Eye Cream which has 10% Glycolic Acid and 2% vitamin A. I have annoying little bumps just in the corners under my eyes and I'm thinking of using some sort of glycolic eye cream when I finish off my PTR one. Would the glycolic/retinol combo do well to get rid of those tiny bumps? Is the cream too strong? The skin under my eyes is quite thin and transparent already and I'm worried about it getting even thinner.

Any comments/suggestions/pointers?

Mabsy.
leiladao
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:43 am      Reply with quote
Hello Mabsy!

As "huge" as my knowledge about skin care can be:P, I understand that Retin-A was first used to treat acne and some patients ( as my Mom told me, one of the famous Retin-A user is Liza Minelli ) claimed that it also made their skin look smoother and younger and then...bingo!...every cosmetic company jumped in and they name their variety retinol ( for general public use).

I just read recently in one of the Dermatologists' websites ( dang my memory, can't remember which one) , the doctors advise younger people to use product with retinol if they want to start an early fight with skin aging instead of using heavy creamy skin ptds that may develope a sluggish, lazy skin while it can grow naturally fine ( think about skin obesity !). I will try to find that website again and post it for you. Anyway, as with anything we use on our body, we just have to be very careful and ask until we really are satisfied that it's safe not only for now but for years from now.

For the eye areas, I never put anything that has AHA, Retinol, even Vit-K...on them. I had so many horrible allergic reactions from many eye creams. The only eye cream that I can use right now is from Shiseido: Skincare Eye Smoother ( can't wait 'till it's available here, why it takes so long, EDS?).

So take good care of your beautiful eyes, Mabsy. Caspers Mum will give you an better answers soon for those little bumps under your eyes. She helped me before to find JI Eye Concealer. My eyes should thank her if they can talk :P:P:P
Mabsy

Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the info Leila Smile

Decisions decisions.... I'll do some more research and see what I come up with I guess. I'm a little stressed about using retinol/ahas under my eyes also, though I can see how they would be of benefit in fighting the little bumps. I'm currently using an eye cream with vit K in it and I'm not having any problems; then again my skin isn't all that easy to irritate. So to me it's more of an 'is it going to dry out and thin out my skin' issue. All of a sudden I'm finding Cellcosmet very tempting. Barbara has been raving about their products so I think their eye cream has a good chance of being impressive as well Smile
Mabsy.
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 02, 2003 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
Leiladao, or anyone who can inform me...
What's wrong w/ vitamin K for use under the eyes? I am looking for an eyecream with SPF and have been eyeing the DDF Protective eye cream w/ SPF 15. It has vitamin K in it. I don't like to use products with AHA's around my eyes either and I don't want a product that's too rich and moisturizing because I'm paranoid about getting milia. As I said in an earlier post, I love the Orlane B-21 Oligo cooling eye balm for sensitive allergic skin under age 35 but it has no SPF. I want to try the DDF one.
leiladao
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Thoughtcrime !

I love to read your posts today about those eye creams that you haved tried and given great reviews, esp. the Orlane one. EDS is having a special kit that's including the Orlane eye cream you gave two thumbs up to. It seems like it's the one I am searching for.

About Vitamin K, I don't think that there's anything wrong with it being used in any skin care ptds. It's only my skin that doesn't react well to it. Mabsy is using PTR Power K Eye Cream and she's very happy with it.
Mabsy

Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:07 am      Reply with quote
Hi Leiladao Smile

Where did you find the special kit with the Orlane eye balm. I'm looking for potential Xmas presents for friends now and special packs are IT! Smile

About the PTR Power K. I've had good results from it and no irritation. But keep in mind that my skin is very VERY far from sensitive...
Mabsy.
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Leiladao and Mabsy,
Thanks for the comments and input. Both of you give awesome detailed reviews. In fact I want to try that Orlane Vit-A-Min scrub based on your review... I saw the kit and have my eye on it too
Wink
Mabsy, the kit is called Orlane Blue Beauty Pouch and it is $56.00 CDN! What a deal for all that you get in it including that eye cream I love. You can find it under eye care and moisturizer section of Orlane.
leiladao
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy and Thoughtcrime,

With any order of Orlane you have to choose a gift. Can you believe it ? EDS is so fabulously generous! I can't make up my mind on what I want as a gift: the Anti-Fatigue Recovery ( I definitely need to arm myself with this before the Holidays Season is here, is it here already?!) or the Perfume ( have you tried this yet?). Oh! how can I save enough money for the "perfect party dress" I just tried on today. It's a perfect, gorgeous red dress SadSadSad MY OH MY !!!
Mabsy

Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:50 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. That kit REALLY is great value.

Leila - I'd go with the Anti-fatigue Recovery for the Silly Season. Lot's of late nights to be had for sure! Wink Re: the dress. Card it now and panic LATER *evil laugh* Just kidding, never do that! But I'm sure you'll find that if you cut down on the little things (magazines, take-away lunches) you'll save quite a bit of cash. Good luck!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:01 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |