Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Review: Rave for DIY “1000 Hours Lash Tint Kit”
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:31 am      Reply with quote
In addition to my obsession with attaining a plumper pout, my other quest is to cultivate the kind of eyelashes of which we all dream but which – unfortunately – only seem to be bestowed upon very young children, or – worse yet – completely undeserving (not to mention *unappreciative*) men. You know what I’m talking about: long, dark, curly and silky lashes which we try in vain to get from the latest tube of mascara that promises this miracle, but somehow never seems to deliver.

Over the past year, I’ve tried to give mother nature a helping hand in the eyelash stakes by trying various growth serums (Talika, Mavala, Lamas) and/or taking nutritional supplements (Silica and MSM) that are supposed to boost eyelash growth. Right now I’m currently using a combination of three different eyelash growth serums (click here for details and product reviews: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=7544&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= ) ranging from ridiculously expensive ($40 for Starlash) to unbelievably cheap (less than five bucks for Ardell).

In addition to trying out eyelash growth conditioners/serums, I’ve also been searching for the best DIY eyelash tinting kit for use at home, which is a lot harder than it sounds because so many of the lash tinting kits available contain ingredients that have been banned by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for actually having caused blindness.

The reason I want to tint my own lashes is to enhance the new length and density of my newly lush lashes. Everybody, regardless of one’s natural eyelash and/or brow color, has little blonde tips on their lashes and these lighter tips can make your eyelashes appear shorter than they actually are, but if you tint your lashes, it covers up those blond tips and therefore showcases the true, actual length of your eyelashes. But I don’t want to risk blindness as payment for my vanity so I want to be careful to make sure that any lash tinting kits that I use (regardless of whether I do it myself or if I have it done by an aesthetician in a salon) do not contain any of the banned ingredients.

As a general FYI to those thinking of tinting their lashes at home, here is a list from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration of eyelash tinting kits that are illegal to be imported or used in the U.S. because they are so dangerous (numerous cases of blindness and a couple of women have even died following adverse reactions to the use of these kits):

• Refecto Cil Dr. Olbrich's Combinal
• Andora
• Henna Gora
• Permalash
• Continental Eyelash and Eyebrow Dye
• Elle Colour (or Elle Hair Color or New Elle)
• Pialan Hair Dye
• Belmacil Color

And finally, here is the list of the most dangerous, banned ingredients in eyelash tinting kits...it is highly recommended that you do NOT purchase any DIY lash tinting kits which contain one or more of these ingredients, or you might end up with a helluva lot more problems than you bargained for!!

• isopropanol
• thiosulfate
• surfactants

Now that you see the list of DIY lash tint products and/or ingredients to avoid, you can imagine how difficult it is to find a kit that doesn’t include them!

The first kit I ever tried at home was one I found at Sallys Beauty supply, called Roux Lash & Brow Tint (click here for product info: http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1410/700883). To be honest, with this kit the results really weren't worth the effort. The dye they use now (at least in the U.S.) is very mild vegetable tint so your lashes only look good for a week or two and then you need to do it again, which probably isn't healthy even though the dye isn't as harsh as the stuff they used 10-15 years ago. With the Roux, first you have to apply a developer to “open” the lash follicle to receive the dye, then you apply the tint itself while you sit there with your eye closed and tried desperately not to blink or open your eye. It was messy and time consuming and the kit was only available to two colors: brown and black.

The next DIY lash tint kit I tried was based a recommendation from Mabsy, and I have to say that it completely lived up to my expectations. The kit is called “1000 Hours Lash Tinting Kit” and it is fabulous. The results are dark and glossy, and it’s so much easier to apply than the Roux kit. Basically, if you can apply mascara, then you can tint your lashes at home!

With the 1000 Hours kit, you mix the tint and developer together (just like coloring your hair), then brush it on with a spooly-wand and let it process for 10-15 minutes while you sit with your eyes open and it doesn’t matter if you blink. The kit comes in black, brown, and my shade of blue/black.

I can’t thank Mabsy enough for turning me onto this fabulous find! I’m terrified that they will discontinue this kit someday, since I have to order it from overseas and have it imported to me, so I’m afraid that this is one time when I’m not going to tell you where you can order it. I know: I’m being terribly cruel! But I’ve given you all of the info that you need in order to find out where to get it. You’ve got the product name, so just google it and you’ll track down the website from which you can order it and – obviously, since I was able to get it sent to the U.S. – this retailer does ship internationally *and* accepts PayPal, so if you’re interested in getting it, you’ll be able to figure it out.....

Anyway, I figured that this review might be timely since so many of us will soon be trying that new lash-growth wonder serum from Japan and I know that if it works even half as well as Glistenxz said, then we will all be anxious to show off our beautiful peepers and may even no longer need to wear mascara for length or color!

HTH,
Carrie

ETA: I don’t know how helpful this will be, or if you are able to order from it, but here’s the link to the official website of 1000 Hours Lash Colour:www.1000hour.com.au.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review carrie! I just ordered 2 boxes (gotta love google!)and am waiting for confirmation of the shipping charges. The only DIY kit that I have used is the one by Roux and I hated it too. I will let you know if this one works well for me as well!

-Cheri
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:

...so I’m afraid that this is one time when I’m not going to tell you where you can order it. I know: I’m being terribly cruel! But I’ve given you all of the info that you need in order to find out where to get it. You’ve got the product name, so just google it and you’ll track down the website from which you can order it and – obviously, since I was able to get it sent to the U.S. – this retailer does ship internationally *and* accepts PayPal, so if you’re interested in getting it, you’ll be able to figure it out.....

Laughing You know you are going to have people begging now, right?

I used this kit about a week ago and the results are excellent!! I would strongly recommmend Carrie's application method though, with a clean mascara wond. I didn't do it that way...I used the little stick in the kit and it was a bit messy. As well, I got some in my eye and it hurt. Laughing Luckily, not blinded, but next time, it will be a mascara wond, and lots of vaseline, for me!!

Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:16 am      Reply with quote
I'm glad I could recommend something that you like so much Carrie! I have not been able to find it in Australia any more so I'll have to order it from o/s as well when I run out. Luckily it does last for ages though.

I actually use the little rod thingy that comes with the kit and tint my lashes the "proper" way. I.e. apply some cotton shapes around the eye area and smother my lashes in the dye and keep them closed. That allows me to put a lot more of the dye on than I would with a mascara wand and I assumed that this is why I got super glossy results. I'll have to try the mascara wand way next time I try it, which won't be for another 6 weeks or so.

Anyway, I much prefer tinting my lashes myself. The kit cost me about AU$20 and looking at how long it lasts I'm guessing that the tints come out to be about $1 each.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:56 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Carrie!!!!!!(And,of course Mabsy)
That stuff sounds fabulous...
maddy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:00 am      Reply with quote
I can vouch for the fantastic-ness of this product- although I haven't used it lately, I used to all the time and it was fantastic. Think blue-black gave the best (non-electric blue) colour.
Hope this stuff stays around. Now am going to look in the chemist for it after Mabsy saying she couldn't find it anymore. Am sure it will be out there somewhere...
Thanks for another lovely review!
Mabsy

Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:11 am      Reply with quote
maddy wrote:
I can vouch for the fantastic-ness of this product- although I haven't used it lately, I used to all the time and it was fantastic. Think blue-black gave the best (non-electric blue) colour.
Hope this stuff stays around. Now am going to look in the chemist for it after Mabsy saying she couldn't find it anymore. Am sure it will be out there somewhere...
Thanks for another lovely review!

Maddy, please let me know if you find this. I used to get this from Price Attack (local hair salon/shop for those of you that are non-Aussie Smile) but last time I went back they said that all the DIY kits have been taken off the market. Priceline also doesn't have them anymore Sad

The midnight-blue color is awesome btw - would not get anything else (unless I got my hands on a purple-black...).

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
Haven't looked yet but will let you know- this is such a staple, hope they haven't removed it from everywhere.

Take care.
kpka
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
Can someone please send me PM with the website where you ordered it from. I tried searching and I could not find it.
Thanks a lot
vegas gal
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
kpka wrote:
Can someone please send me PM with the website where you ordered it from. I tried searching and I could not find it.
Thanks a lot

Me too Very Happy . I found a website but wasn't sure if it was the right one.
Sweety Smarty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
perhaps you should whrite it down here Wink
Mabsy

Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:46 am      Reply with quote
If you do a search for "1000 hour lash" you will definitely find a couple of places that have it....

Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:44 am      Reply with quote
I have light red hair and very blonde eyebrows/eyelashes. Eyelash tint in blue/black seems quite easy to find on the net, but I'm having a lot of difficulty trying to find light brown eyebrow tint!! The brown colour that is readily available on the net is way too dark for me! I would LOVE to hear from anyone that has bought light brown eyebrow dye on the net.
kpka
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
So I finally placed an order. Big Big thank you to Phredd4

Just to let you know because I found this so funny, this is what I have received from "secret" website:
"We have had a huge run on the 1000 Hour Eye lash tint just recently and are awaiting a new order. This should be here in the next few days. Will get this out to you ASAP."

May be it was just me who had trouble finding this website

Rolling Eyes
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
Wow -- I never knew about the blonde tips on everyone's lashes -- is that 100% true? I can't see my blonde tips -- they must be totally invisible! Lol!
Sweety Smarty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:04 am      Reply with quote
you cant see them,because they are too light,honey Wink
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:28 am      Reply with quote
kpka wrote:
Just to let you know because I found this so funny, this is what I have received from "secret" website:
"We have had a huge run on the 1000 Hour Eye lash tint just recently and are awaiting a new order. This should be here in the next few days. Will get this out to you ASAP."

May be it was just me who had trouble finding this website Rolling Eyes
yeah, that was me placing an order before you guys figured out where to get it from and cleaned them out of their current stock!! I've learned my lession....

chimera wrote:
Wow -- I never knew about the blonde tips on everyone's lashes -- is that 100% true? I can't see my blonde tips -- they must be totally invisible! Lol!
Yes, it's 100% true. Even someone with jet black hair, lashes and brows have blonde tips at the end.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:00 am      Reply with quote
Ack, I never knew that -- you are always so informative, carekate. Now make them go away!!! lol
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
try having blond eyelashes from root to tip like me! i look like i don't have any eyelashes at all when i don't wear mascara! Laughing and in the summers when my hair bleaches out my eyebrows are almost white (not so much now b/c i am not participating in a yearround sport anymore and thus do not have that much sun exposure... in fact, when i was younger (like around 11 yrs old) i couldn't understand why women would rave about my hair b/c it looked like i had some amazing highlighting job done on it. they would say things like "Oh my God! that's natural!?" ... i remember thinking "umm, yeah, it is. so?" well, now i understand why Wink ).

this tinting product sounds great! i have been considering getting my lashes tinted but am so afraid of the dangerous risks i hear about.

why do you think "1000 hours" is being yanked off the shelves? perhaps some drug administration is finding that this product contains an ingredient that is dangerous?

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
I think we all want what we don't have! My eyelashes are naturally black, but I've been trying for months to lighten my hair to blonde.....and here you are with blonde hair and tinting your lashes. Wanna trade?? Wink
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
amnis wrote:
try having blond eyelashes from root to tip like me! i look like i don't have any eyelashes at all when i don't wear mascara! Laughing and in the summers when my hair bleaches out my eyebrows are almost white (not so much now b/c i am not participating in a yearround sport anymore and thus do not have that much sun exposure... in fact, when i was younger (like around 11 yrs old) i couldn't understand why women would rave about my hair b/c it looked like i had some amazing highlighting job done on it. they would say things like "Oh my God! that's natural!?" ... i remember thinking "umm, yeah, it is. so?" well, now i understand why Wink ).

this tinting product sounds great! i have been considering getting my lashes tinted but am so afraid of the dangerous risks i hear about.

why do you think "1000 hours" is being yanked off the shelves? perhaps some drug administration is finding that this product contains an ingredient that is dangerous?

I don't think it is being *yanked* off the shelves...I think Carrie just bought them all before others could. Laughing It is more like *flying* off the the shelves, into the homes of EDS members.

I got some of this in my eye a few weeks ago, and although it did sting, I can still see!! Just be careful with it, and I don't forsee you having any big problems. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:55 am      Reply with quote
amnis wrote:
this tinting product sounds great! i have been considering getting my lashes tinted but am so afraid of the dangerous risks i hear about...why do you think "1000 hours" is being yanked off the shelves? perhaps some drug administration is finding that this product contains an ingredient that is dangerous?

For the record, here’s the ingredients for 1000 Hours Lash Tint:

INGREDIENTS:

Liquid -
3% stabilized Hydrogen Peroxide

Cream -
Distilled water, Cetearyl Alcohol, PEG-40, Sorbitan Lanolate, Sodium Cetearyl Sulfate, Diaminobenzene, Dyestuffs: CI 76545, CI 77499, CI 77007, Fragrance

So, as you can see, 1000 Hours is “safe” – or at least as safe as playing with peroxide anywhere near one’s eyes can actually be! It does not contain any of the ingredients that are in the “banned” list that I included in my original post on this thread.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:36 am      Reply with quote
Can someone PM me with the website that you purchased this from? Thanks...

Also, for my brows I just use regular hair dye. I just mix 1/4 tsp of the dye and activator.

liz
MaryR
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:43 am      Reply with quote
my lashes have grown since I started using lash growth products, but I have the same problem with blonde tips on my lashes. I think that I will give it a try.
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
Help:
whats the difference between blue/black and black..my brain says blue/black might be alot more glossy looking. And if an earlier post is right at $1 an application that would mean around 20 per box. Not bad. I had my eyelashed dyed once by a professional and was not impressed with the process nor the length of time it lasted. I have pretty decent lashes, in fact in certain eyewear they will hit the lenses, so this sounds right up my alley, and of course we all always want more than we have Wink. Oh fyi I have plain brown eyes, so not sure if black or blue/black (for more gloss) is right.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:36 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |