Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Review: Rave for DIY “1000 Hours Lash Tint Kit”
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
CK
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:23 am      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
CK wrote:
I got the kit early this week and used it for the first time. I don't have vaseline at home and used the Strawberry Lip Balm I got from EDS instead and it worked well. Razz

thank you so much for this tip! it's embarassing, but i don't have vaseline and haven't been able to find it here. i've tried other things instead, but nothing's been quite as good. i'd totally forgotten that i had this balm (hidden in my unused stash basket) -- yeah!!!

as for everybody's problems with the coating, etc., it really is trial by error. you need to mix it properly (the wandy/sticky thing they give you is useless) and let it set for a couple of minutes to gel. and you *really* have to slather it on (at least i do). i first use a mascara wand and then use whatever impliment i have arounnd to coat coat coat. i want to see clumps everywhere. and i leave it on for pretty much as long as i can stand it.... you might want to try the one eye at a time method at first so you can close that eye and really get it on thick. the most important thing, IMO, is getting the Blue/Black for magical lashes! also using a pre-treatment oil as carrie mentioned helped a lot. for lashes that look a little thin after tinting, they could be a touch dehydrated. try sleeping with castor oil on them for the night after -- they will plump right up.

No problem. Cool I can't use the lip balm as it feels dry on my lips. I'm happy to find a way to use it up. Very Happy (Btw, I also stick a clingfilm on my undereye area.)

I can't find castor oil locally. Can I use other oils instead? I have grapeseed oil and sweet almond oil and can they be of any use? Embarassed
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:30 am      Reply with quote
CK wrote:
I can't find castor oil locally. Can I use other oils instead? I have grapeseed oil and sweet almond oil and can they be of any use? Embarassed

either one should be fine as long as it doesn't irritate the eye area (everyone has different sensitivities). lashes, like the hair on your head, need a little TLC!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:43 am      Reply with quote
CK wrote:
tiger_tim, one kit should be enough for 12 applications according to their website. But if you're going to tint your lashes only but not the eye brows, you can use less and it will give you 24 applications. Razz

Actually, you can stretch it even further if you only mix up 1/2 what they recommend in the instructions (i.e.: 1/2-inch colorant plus 5-drops developer, I think) because it still yields MORE than enough dye mixture to tint both sets of lashes.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:12 am      Reply with quote
CK wrote:
My lashes even look finer (I mean the hair itself) after tinted. It's weird. Confused
As Cam said, the reason your lashes might look thinner after tinting as dehydration. Try the protein pre-treatment (click here for details: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=164099#164099) before you tint and afterwards, either apply some castor oil as Cam suggested or do what I do: apply a bit of deep conditioner (with a clean mascara spooly wand)!

Because I tint my lashes a lot more often than most of you (every 2 weeks – they’re growing so quickly that I’m getting obvious “roots”!!), I always use the pre-treatment to fortify and nourish my lashes beforehand and then I followup the tinting with some deep conditioner (I use my “super-charged” Biolage Conditioning Balm or my Kerastase deep conditioner clone from Sallys) to make sure my lashes are rehydrated afterwards.

CK wrote:
Sweet almond oil is very lubricating, but it doesn’t penetrate so it’s only going to sit on the surface of your lashes. Go with the grapeseed oil instead – better yet, if you can get your hands on some jojoba oil that would be even better!

CK wrote:
Maybe my lashes were not clean enough to begin with? Confused
That is very well possible! Before tinting, you want to remove any eye makeup you’re wearing with an eye makeup remover, and then you should wash your lashes with a bit of gentle facial cleanser (or even baby shampoo) to remove the residue from the makeup remover. They’ve got to be squeaky clean for the tint mixture to properly adhere and penetrate. Unless you decide to utilize the protein pre-tint treatment, your lashes should be as clean as a baby’s butt (after a thorough diaper change!).

CK wrote:
And the colour (I have it in Black) is barely noticable on my already dark lashes.
I keep saying this until everyone is going to start thinking I am a broken record, but I don’t recommend the black shade to tint your lashes with because it is too flat/matte. And I would only recommend the brown shade for those with the palest of pale lashes (who can’t normally wear true black mascara b/c it looks too “harsh”). I honestly believe, and would stake my reputation on it, that everyone else should use the blue/black for tinting their lashes. I can’t count how many EDSers chose to go with the black and ended up disappointed...thankfully, most of them went and gave the blue/black a chance and were able to see why the rest of us love it so much.

The same sort of thing happened with BarbaraPortno – she went with the brown tint and was extremely disappointed. After she tried the blue/black she was thrilled!

CK – PM me with your address and I’ll decant some of the blue/black colorant from my kit and send it to you to try next time, you can just mix it up with a few drops of the developer from your black kit.

tiger_tim wrote:
on a similar but different topic, do these kind of dyes have use-by dates? A salon lady in Australia once sold me the dye mix to do my own eyebrow dying at home here in Japan but I have not used it for years and was thinking of trying it again. I wonder if it would be OK still?
I don’t recall seeing a date on the cartons of 1000 Hours. Check your box and it’s content thoroughly to make sure there isn’t any expiration date on it. If there isn’t, then check the colorant and developer itself – has the stuff appeared to separate? Does it smell funny? Does it seem “off” at all? If not, it’s probably okay to use, but why not just be safe and get your mom to pop down to the chemist and get you a new box of 1000 Hours and ship it to you? Better to be safe than sorry!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:01 am      Reply with quote
Carekate, do you think the Protein pac oils that you use before you colour your lashes and hair would be oily enough to place around the eyes to prevent staining by the lash tint?

Since we condition the lashes first anyway, couldn't we just dab a bit of the oil that's on our lashes around the eye area to be a barrier between the skin and the tint mixture?

I'm the kind of person who loves multi function stuff so i was thinking i would condition my lashes and prevent staining at the same time with the same product....

anybody else have any thoughts if this would work? instead of messing with Vaseline-like stuff and getting all over the lashes?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:27 am      Reply with quote
rosyface wrote:
Carekate, do you think the Protein pac oils that you use before you colour your lashes and hair would be oily enough to place around the eyes to prevent staining by the lash tint?

Since we condition the lashes first anyway, couldn't we just dab a bit of the oil that's on our lashes around the eye area to be a barrier between the skin and the tint mixture?

I'm the kind of person who loves multi function stuff so i was thinking i would condition my lashes and prevent staining at the same time with the same product....

anybody else have any thoughts if this would work? instead of messing with Vaseline-like stuff and getting all over the lashes?
The oil residue from the pre-treatment isn't quite "dense" enough to provide a barrier to prevent the lash tint from staining -- believe me, I tried that! Looked like I had a black eye for a day or two till it faded....

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:27 am      Reply with quote
rosyface wrote:

The oil residue from the pre-treatment isn't quite "dense" enough to provide a barrier to prevent the lash tint from staining -- believe me, I tried that! Looked like I had a black eye for a day or two till it faded....

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:40 am      Reply with quote
Happy to hear so many people are having success using a barrier other than Vaseline. I'll give that a go next time. I was so 'anal' about following the directions. (because I usually go off on a tangent).

CK
- I have naturally dark lashes too (Asian). I got the blue-black and while it's not really noticeable - I do think that the tips are darker and definitely my lower lashes look better. I also think it's given a slight gloss to my lashes (but it could be the blue/black thing).

When I first mixed the formula it was really runny but it really blended and thickened after I let if sit for a couple of minutes.

Because I had so much formula, I just kept slathering it on so droplets gathered at the roots.
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:46 am      Reply with quote
well i don't want black eyes so i won't be doing that! Laughing Laughing Laughing

what about some castor oil? that is in the OCM and should be ok around eyes right? Also, is in eyelash serums and is pretty thick, do you think it would interfere with the lash tint though?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:49 am      Reply with quote
Wow Carekate, you're a STAR! Very Happy Answered each and every of my questions! Very Happy

My lashes seem to return to its normal thickness today (about 4 days after the tinting). But I'll make sure I use a conditioner next time. So I suppose my Kerastase Masque Oleo Relax will do? As I don't want to place another order for oils just for my lashes, I'll try grapeseed oil alone and see how it works.

Thanks for your advice and kind offer. PMing you.
thirtyish
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:53 am      Reply with quote
In response to feeling like my lashes aren't getting coated enough...someone said to just coat them really thick...but I can't seem to get enough on my lashes no matter what I do. I would coat them up in clumps or whatever if I could, but it just won't transfer. Any thoughts?
koolade
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
I have eyelash extensions, but I also have light natural lashes in between. To make my lashes look more full, I was contemplating tinting. Does anyone know if the 1000 Hours Lash Tinting Kit will affect the adhesive?
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
Wanted to add my 2 cents to this thread. I did it a few days ago and the day after I did it I got my lovely Ardells from carekate. Immediately after tinting I noticed my tips were darker but same as Rjez my Asian lashes are already pretty dark. I forgot about the oil pre-treatment, I specifically waited until my Avocado oil got here before I tinted and yet I forgot Embarassed Anyways, the day after when I first tried Ardell I noticed after I coated my lashes it immediately looked LONGER - so I think the tinted really did its job. Hopefully Ardell will make my lashes even longer *cross fingers
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
sormuimui - did you tint your lower lashes too? That's where I really noticed a difference.

BTW - it's been a couple of weeks and even though my natural lashes are dark, I can see a big difference between new growth (untinted) and tinted lashes. The tinted lashes look more black, glossy and thicker.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:09 pm      Reply with quote
I tried, but my lower lashes are a good length and I'm not very skilled at using mascara or ANYTHING on my lower lashes. I also might have gotten some Rosebud Salve on it. But it did look just a hint darker. I don't really want my lower lashes to be obvious though and I don't use my Ardell on them either. But I'm overall pretty satisfied with the results. Do you all use disposable mascara wands or the stick provided? I used the stick as I haven't been able to find disposable mascara wands and it works just fine although not as much product gets on your lashes since the product is runny. But I find the wand provided gives me great control to touch up sides and harder to reach places. I don't even think I need to use my Rosebud Salve beforehand as I didn't get any product anywhere on my skin (except the skin right below my lower lashes). I didn't have a problem with product getting in my eye or stinging either.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:09 am      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
I didn't have a problem with product getting in my eye or stinging either.

Wow! I'm impressed! I used the wand too and I didn't get formula in my eyes - but the fumes definitely made my eyes water. I ended up applying and removing several times because I couldn't tolerate more than 2 minutes at a time. Did you have a lot of droplets gather at your roots? I'm wondering if I applied too much.
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
ok quick question, for those also using JM and experiencing shedding, could it be due to the lash tinting? I've been using jm since July and have had fab..well unreal results with no shedding at all, that I am aware of. I'd love to use the tint now, but am worried it might start the dreaded shedding?
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
MelissaMarie wrote:
ok quick question, for those also using JM and experiencing shedding, could it be due to the lash tinting? I've been using jm since July and have had fab..well unreal results with no shedding at all, that I am aware of. I'd love to use the tint now, but am worried it might start the dreaded shedding?

serendipidity. tint your lashes (use blue/black or i'll shoot you!) and be happy. those of us that shed did so because our lashes were getting into sync. or in my bald spot's case, needed to strengthen.... i was a premie (way back when they didn't survive) and barely had hair the first years of my life (my mum used to tape a bow on my scalp so people would know i was a girl Laughing ). when i was about five, she took me to her hairdresser every week and he trimmed my hair. i've not got the thickest main imaginable! i kind of think JM works this way and you, lucky girl, obviously didn't need it. tint to your heart's content!
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
Rjez wrote:
sormuimui wrote:
I didn't have a problem with product getting in my eye or stinging either.

Wow! I'm impressed! I used the wand too and I didn't get formula in my eyes - but the fumes definitely made my eyes water. I ended up applying and removing several times because I couldn't tolerate more than 2 minutes at a time. Did you have a lot of droplets gather at your roots? I'm wondering if I applied too much.

Nope, I noticed other members commented that that the mixture was runny (I think I might add only 4 drops instead of 5 - I halved the dosage since I'm only doing my lashes). I found that it was runny in the sense that when I swiped some of the mixture would get so the other side of the wand, but it still stayed on the wand and it wasn't runny to the point where it would drip or move around. So perhaps the droplets you experience might be due to that. However I also didn't concentrate on my roots and I can see how it might sting for those who went too close or actually touched their lashline. But I'm Asian and have naturally black lashes so I was focussing on the blond tips rather than the ends. The fumes weren't much of a problem to me, I noticed it very SLIGHTLY but not enough to water my eyes. Maybe I didn't have enough product on my wand? Not sure. I dipped and did my lashes probably 5-6 times due to the runniness, generally I think you might get better results with a mascara wand (which I want to try next time) as more product will adhere to that. But you'll also have a bigger risk of accidentally poking your eye, so give and take I guess. I gotta go find some mascara wands soon and try it the next time. I've been noticing that not enough product got on my lashes as there are 1-2 lashes that are still sort of blond looking.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks sormuimui. This is all making sense. I'm Asian too. I definitely think I mixed up too much (I did the whole 10 drops) and I did try to get the formula everywhere from roots to tips. I think next time I'm going to wash and use the wand from my Shu Uemura lash repair ... tiny brush similar to Lash Exact.
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
MelissaMarie wrote:

serendipidity. tint your lashes (use blue/black or i'll shoot you!) and be happy. those of us that shed did so because our lashes were getting into sync. or in my bald spot's case, needed to strengthen.... i was a premie (way back when they didn't survive) and barely had hair the first years of my life (my mum used to tape a bow on my scalp so people would know i was a girl Laughing ). when i was about five, she took me to her hairdresser every week and he trimmed my hair. i've not got the thickest main imaginable! i kind of think JM works this way and you, lucky girl, obviously didn't need it. tint to your heart's content!

thank you sooooooo much, ok jumping in with both feet, I really did put on mascara yesterday and was stunned and truely thought, my lashes really really look fake..it was a great day!!!!
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:30 am      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
i've not got the thickest main imaginable! i kind of think JM works this way and you, lucky girl, obviously didn't need it.

just to clarify though i think you got this, but i meant "now" rather than "not." it's a seriously thick head of hair which, by the way, sheds like mad -- so there could be that going with the JM too. healthy hair renewal and all that....
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:21 am      Reply with quote
Rjez wrote:
I think next time I'm going to wash and use the wand from my Shu Uemura lash repair ... tiny brush similar to Lash Exact.
If you can't find disposible spooly wands (Sallys Beauty has them, and you can sometimes find them in the aisle with false eyelash supplies at drugstores/supermarkets and Ulta definitely has them), you can always buy a cheapie tube of mascara and toss the mascara and wash the wand and use it. That's what I did until I found the disposible ones....

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:30 am      Reply with quote
don't most people have a Neiman's or the like by them??? last time i was by the Chanel counter, i swiped about ten of them.... almost every department store beauty section has tons of these lying around to put mascara on customers. all you have to do is ask nicely. at the very worst, submit yourself to a makeover with their mascara and *then* ask nicely, batting your lashes all the way while saying you'll come back to buy it when you finish your current mascara....
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:42 am      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
don't most people have a Neiman's or the like by them??? last time i was by the Chanel counter, i swiped about ten of them.... almost every department store beauty section has tons of these lying around to put mascara on customers. all you have to do is ask nicely. at the very worst, submit yourself to a makeover with their mascara and *then* ask nicely, batting your lashes all the way while saying you'll come back to buy it when you finish your current mascara....
Actually, I was thinking of swiping a handful from Sephora the other day, but they have SA swooping EVERYWHERE! And they try to give me enough of a hard sale when I'm there that it's difficult enough shake them without having to submit to a makeover...besides, some of those ladies are SCARY looking and I wouldn't WANT them doing my makeup, ya know?! Shock

Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:43 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |