Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Review: Rave for DIY “1000 Hours Lash Tint Kit”
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, so I too jumped on this overloaded bandwagon. I got my 1000 hours in the mail yesterday and tinted my lashes last night.

I applied oils and then dyed my lashes, while doing so I think a smidge got on my eyeball, and my eye started to water profusely. Ouch! But Ive never been one to turn away from a bueaty treatment due to a little pain. So, Im in the bathroom trying to get some privacy as I stare in the mirror waiting for my new lashes to "appear", and my husband barges in with our 6 month old baby claming that he misses his Mommy. Meanwhile Im convinced Im going blind due to the bit of dye that is STILL lingering in my eye. I turn around, my eye burning like crazy, tears running down my face and say to him, "can I have 10mins PLEASE"?!!! I guess he though I went into the bathroom to cry, and started asking me "whats wrong, whats wrong?, did I do something?". The look on his face was priceless!! Laughing I explained to him what I was doing and what went wrong in the process, needless to say he had no sympathy for my vanity.Rolling Eyes

I washed off the dye after the alloted time and wasnt too impressed with the results, plus my eye still hurt, I spent the rest of the night worried that I had blinded myself.

Alas, I woke this morning with my vision intacted and decided to give it another go, this time I used a slanted eyeliner brush to really get the roots...results were better, and I am satisfied! Very Happy

I think that pregnancy thinned my lashes out,so I also got some Ardell with high hopes of regrowing some, but I am over all pleased with my new darker lashes...hubby even commented on them looking nice this afternoon at lunch!

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
lulabelle
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
hey everyone!

so i'm not to sure if people are still actually reading this thread, but i'm looking into ordering this from a NZ online pharmacy source and I was just wondering if anyone had problems with them shipping to Canada. Was anyone charged duty at all?

I've never had anything shipped form overseas and i'm a little nervous about it!

Thanks!
Goofygal
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:00 am      Reply with quote
I caved in.... I had a bad eyelash perm about 5 weeks ago and I know that I should have waited for another month or so before I tint my lashes but I just couldn't wait.

I am Asian and my lashes are black. I was skeptical if it'll work but I have to say, it somehow did make my lashes look longer. I used Midnight blue and hope it'll look ok under the sun (will check first thing in the morning).

Lulabelle, not sure about shipping to Canada but there was no duty on mine (shipped from NZ to US).
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:23 am      Reply with quote
Goofygal wrote:
I am Asian and my lashes are black. I was skeptical if it'll work but I have to say, it somehow did make my lashes look longer.
I've lectured about this many, many times: no matter how dark one’s lashes are naturally, EVERYONE has pale blond tips on the ends of each lash hair. When you tint them, these blond tips are then darkened so one is finally able to appreciate the true length of one’s lashes!!

IMO, the blue/black shade looks better than the actual black shade because it yields deeper, glossier results, while the black shade is more matte.

I’ve said this before many times, as well: the blue/black shade is not going to give you some obvious, electric blue lashes! Instead, the result is more along the lines of viewing a raven’s wing in direct sunlight: the raven itself is jet black, but when the sun hits its feathers they have a stunning midnight blue sheen. Because you are Asian, your hair (assuming you’ve never color-treated it) is also naturally such a pure jet black with a midnight blue sheen when you view it in the sunlight because it has absolutely no red tones in it. And the overall effect is, quite simply, stunning!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:35 am      Reply with quote
lulabelle wrote:
hey everyone!

so i'm not to sure if people are still actually reading this thread, but i'm looking into ordering this from a NZ online pharmacy source and I was just wondering if anyone had problems with them shipping to Canada. Was anyone charged duty at all?

I've never had anything shipped form overseas and i'm a little nervous about it!

Thanks!

hi, i had this shipped to me in Canada from NZ and had absoultely no trouble getting it. No duty either...

i ordered the blue/black for my eyelashes and the dark brown for my brows and both look great....go for it Exclamation

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
I ordered this kit from someone in NZ after reading this thread...

Tried it out the same night I received it. I'm loving the results! I had light brown lashes with blonde tips, so unless I had any mascara on you couldn't even tell I had eyelashes! I ordered the black, and let me tell you, my eyelashes are BLACK!

I mixed up the dye and then used an old mascara wand to apply it to my lashes. At my first attempt I got some in my eye, which
started to sting and water profusely, so I rinsed my eyes out and started over... The second attempt went a lot better than the first!

I'm still wearing mascara every day, if only for the lengthening/thickening it provides, but hopefully I won't have to in a few weeks after the Lucia and Ardell lash serums start working... It's just nice to have eyelashes you can actually see. Even if I am just hanging around the house or running a few errands on the weekend.

I had found out about eyelash tinting/perming a few months ago but couldn't find anyone in my area that did it or anywhere to get an at home kit. I was thrilled when I found this thread (and the whole forum!) Thank you SO much for sharing this!
Goofygal
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Goofygal wrote:
I am Asian and my lashes are black. I was skeptical if it'll work but I have to say, it somehow did make my lashes look longer.
I've lectured about this many, many times: no matter how dark one’s lashes are naturally, EVERYONE has pale blond tips on the ends of each lash hair. When you tint them, these blond tips are then darkened so one is finally able to appreciate the true length of one’s lashes!!

IMO, the blue/black shade looks better than the actual black shade because it yields deeper, glossier results, while the black shade is more matte.

I’ve said this before many times, as well: the blue/black shade is not going to give you some obvious, electric blue lashes! Instead, the result is more along the lines of viewing a raven’s wing in direct sunlight: the raven itself is jet black, but when the sun hits its feathers they have a stunning midnight blue sheen. Because you are Asian, your hair (assuming you’ve never color-treated it) is also naturally such a pure jet black with a midnight blue sheen when you view it in the sunlight because it has absolutely no red tones in it. And the overall effect is, quite simply, stunning!!

Hi Carekate,
It was your "lectures" that made me buy this lash tint and in midnight blue shade. ...Rolling Eyes Ok.. maybe 80% was due to your "lectures" and 20% due to the rest of the great feedback. Smile Probably because my lashes are too short and not dense enough, I can't see the midnight blue sheen. All I know that it appears longer and darker at the tips.. and that makes me a happy camper already!
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
Lash tint preparation mishap- learn from me:

I applied my Rosebud Salve (instead of vaseline b/c I don't use it for anything else and the salve does the trick) around my eye to prevent the dye from transferring onto my skin. Well, I globbed on a bit too much on my left eye so it got onto a few of my lashes. I knew that I couldn't just wipe it away and expect the dye to take where it had been so I washed my eye to start over with a more sparing amount. After I dyed my lashes I realized that my left eye's lashes were lighter than my right eye's lashes. What happened is that even though I washed my eye to start over with the salve application I think I ended up rubbing the salve into the rest of my lashes thus preventing them from fully taking in the dye.

Moral of the story: use vaseline (or salve) sparingly around your eyes. And if you happen to get any on your lashes before dying them and think you can wash it all off and start over, think again. Maybe one can wash a little more than I did but I didn't want to irritate my eye anymore than I already had and I also didn't want to over rub my eye area. It's so delicate!

I just thought of another moral: don't perform beauty tasks that require coordination and logic late at night and when you are already very tired! Embarassed Rolling Eyes

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
Glad to know, as I am waiting for my blue/black to come in. Can't wait and hope it goes well!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:36 am      Reply with quote
Got it in the mail yesterday and gave it a try. I got some on my fingernail (lesson learned-don't talk on the phone while mixing it up). Worked great, love the color. If I had more lashes it would have been better, my botton row is almost non-existent. It was really hard getting the lower lashes done, even using the vaseline and crescent-shaped cutouts because I have such a scant few. Crying or Very sad Other than that, great product, carekate.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
Used my lash curler and mascara over it for the first time today. Great results. It helps the curls hold longer I think. (And I only had to use one light coat of mascara, even on my scanty lower lashes!!)

Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
I ordered this but have been scared to try it, even though I get my lashes tinted professionally all the time.

Do most of you use this with eyes open or closed? For those who do it with eyes closed, do you use a mascara wand or something else?

Also, does it really last 4 weeks? When I have it done professionally, it barely lasts 1
CityGirl

Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
I ordered this but have been scared to try it, even though I get my lashes tinted professionally all the time.

Do most of you use this with eyes open or closed? For those who do it with eyes closed, do you use a mascara wand or something else?

Also, does it really last 4 weeks? When I have it done professionally, it barely lasts 1
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
CityGirl wrote:

Eyes open <would be tough doin it with em closed Laughing >! In all seriousness. Read thru the thread again ALOT of helpful tips for applying. For myself, I don't use the vaseline around the eye cause #1 - it's a pain in the whatzis to get off afterward & I always seemed to get some on the lashes somewhere and that of course defeats the purpose. And #2 As I had been a contact wearer <had Lasik 2 yrs ago> since I was 17, eons ago - I have a pretty steady hand when it comes to putting anything near my eye.

I use the wand that's in the kit, a clean mascara brush & a toothpick. Yes - toothpick. Since I have been using Ardell etc I have the lil baby hairs pokin thru. I use the toothpick to coat them.

I did my lashes 2 nights ago. Took me all of 1/2 an hour tops from set-up to clean-up. Mine lasts about a month, 5 weeks it's lookin pretty sad, by week 6 my lower lashes are invisible again.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
CityGirl wrote:

Don't be scared! Just be careful and perhaps try doing one eye at a time (wash in between each eye) until you get more of a hang of it so you don't feel rushed. Also, don't be worried that if you get a little bit in your eye you are going to blind yourself or something because you won't. It will only sting and you can always wash it off right away and start over. Candy is right- this thread has a lot of good tips etc so read through it.

For me, my tint is strong for about a month and then starts fading following the one month point. But I usually don't re-dye until the 6 week mark.

Oh, and don't do it with your eyes closed- you'd end up looking like someone punched you.

good luck!

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
CityGirl

Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:54 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies. But several people recommended working on one eye at a time, holding that eye closed, and really putting on LOTS of the dye. This is what my esthetician does and it works well.

Did you get super-dark results by doing it with eyes open?
Mabsy

Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:49 am      Reply with quote
CityGirl wrote:
Thanks for the replies. But several people recommended working on one eye at a time, holding that eye closed, and really putting on LOTS of the dye. This is what my esthetician does and it works well.

Did you get super-dark results by doing it with eyes open?

That's what I do. It's more tedious but I think you get better results IMO.
nomoreneckpain
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:34 am      Reply with quote
City girl, I've only used it once about 5wks ago and I'm thinking it's time to reapply. I did both eyes together using the wand it comes with and a clean spoolie brush(mascara type brush)-works great. This time I'll try processing one eye completely then do the other one, I'm going to try the tooth pick suggestion as well-thanks Candy. Also try to use a magnifying mirror. Good luck.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:46 am      Reply with quote
It really is so much easier to apply with a clean old mascara brush. I also use the templates in the instruction leaflet to cut out shapes in kitchen paper. I apply Vaseline under my eyes and stick the kitchen paper shapes over. This helps to cut down on any potential undereye smudges when coating the lower lashes.

Do try it. I'm absolutely thrilled with the results and reckon this is one of the best things I've bought since finding the EDS forums.

Just prepare so everything you need's on hand before you begin, take your time and don't panic. It's really not as difficult as you're probably imagining it to be.
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
All the great reviews for this has convinced me to give it a try!

I would appreciate some help deciding on the color to order... I'm Asian, my lashes are a decent length with some curl. Ebony black was my first thought, but I like the idea of glossy lashes, so the blue/black is tempting me.

I know a lot of people have tried the blue/black - has anyone tried the ebony black? Is there any gloss to it? Anyone tried both and can give a comparison?

Also, I hear people referring to the midnight blue as the blue/black, but the NZ website lists both, 'Blue Black* and *Midnight Blue*, so I'm wondering what the difference betweent those two are?
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:48 am      Reply with quote
montrealgal wrote:
I'm Asian, my lashes are a decent length with some curl. Ebony black was my first thought, but I like the idea of glossy lashes, so the blue/black is tempting me.

I know a lot of people have tried the blue/black - has anyone tried the ebony black? Is there any gloss to it? Anyone tried both and can give a comparison?

My recommendation to everyone, except those with the palest blond lashes, is the Blue/Black shade:
carekate wrote:
Goofygal wrote:

Which NZ website are you referring to that lists both blue/black and midnight blue shades? My NZ source only sells brown, black and blue/black (aka "midnight blue") kits....

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:01 am      Reply with quote
I guess I'll be the only one to say I was disappointed in this product. I used the black. It seemed to take a lot of effort to accomplish, and the results were underwhelming. I still look like I have naked eyes with no mascara on. I can see that this stuff is on there if I look close, but at first glance I still look like naked eyes. I also found it very difficult to apply because the cream mixture would not "stick" to my eyelashes. The biggest effect is that some of the dye got on my skin in between my eyelashes so it looks a little like I have eyeliner on (although not a very smooth line). I followed the instructions about cleaning oils off the eyelashes before application, and I used both the wand and a clean mascara brush, but I just could not get this stuff to stick! Confused The good news I guess is that I learned that if you get it in your eye (which I did), it will hurt but it won't blind you. Just throw water in your eye and you'll be fine.
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:36 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
My recommendation to everyone, except those with the palest blond lashes, is the Blue/Black shade:
carekate wrote:
Goofygal wrote:

Which NZ website are you referring to that lists both blue/black and midnight blue shades? My NZ source only sells brown, black and blue/black (aka "midnight blue") kits....

Thanks, Carekate!

The NZ site I found is:
http://www.radiuspharmacy.co.nz/10/group/2/page/1/style/2054/1000+Hour+Lash+Colour+10+Applications

Is there another place? If so would you pm me with the url? I would prefer to buy from a place that other's have used - there are so many unreputable online merchants out there...

BTW, although I'm Asian, I don't have jet black hair. It used to be jet black up until my teens but now it's more of a black/brown, and in the sun it does have a very slight reddish tint. (Never dyed it - thought the color change was from being in the sun... or maybe it was from a perm?)

But since I don't have pale blond lashes, it sounds like I can still pull off the blue/black.

PocoLoco, thanks for sharing your experience. Sorry to hear it didn't work for you. I think it's one of those things I just have to try for myself and see Smile The lure of no mascara is just too tempting!
CityGirl

Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:52 am      Reply with quote
I tried this on one eye last night (using Mabsy's closed eye method) and left it on for 20 minutes. It didn't seem to "take" at all--when I get it done at the salon, I can see a difference immediately. I followed their instructions, but I wonder if I didn't put in enough developer?
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:04 am      Reply with quote
montrealgal - I've used Radius Pharmacy in the past with no problems at all, if that helps.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:08 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |