Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.
 
 back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in



Peter Thomas Roth Cucumber De-Tox Hydrating Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) DeVita Perfecting Time (75 ml / 2.5 oz) B Kamins Nia-Stem Kx Starter Kit (4 items)
Review: Rave for DIY “1000 Hours Lash Tint Kit”

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Author Message
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Posts: 599
Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Majorb - that is good to know! wave

Are you in North American by any chance? I'm wondering what the s & h charges will be? I don't see it on their website.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 3396
Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:12 am      Reply with quote
No, I live in the UK, montrealgal. Sorry that I can't remember the postage either, I'm afraid.

I did buy 4 boxes at once and I remember thinking that the price of those, including the postage, were really good value. Not sure how it reasonable it would be in relation to just ordering one, though. Plus the fact that we're used to everything being horrendously expensive over here.

I do really love this stuff, though, and can definitely recommend it.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Sep 2004
Posts: 4044
Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:41 am      Reply with quote
montrealgal wrote:
BTW, although I'm Asian, I don't have jet black hair. It used to be jet black up until my teens but now it's more of a black/brown, and in the sun it does have a very slight reddish tint. (Never dyed it - thought the color change was from being in the sun... or maybe it was from a perm?)
The reddish tinge to your hair was definitely a result of a perm -- you're lucky it was just a reddish tint and not full-blown ORANGE as happens to most brunettes upon getting a perm!!!

I've just PMed you the name of the website from which I order my lash tint kits.

_________________
Über-oily,semi-sensitive, warm/fair-skinned redhead, 38...Will swap/shop for members outside U.S. and/or make homemade skincare products upon demand-PM me for details.
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Posts: 599
Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
The reddish tinge to your hair was definitely a result of a perm -- you're lucky it was just a reddish tint and not full-blown ORANGE as happens to most brunettes upon getting a perm!!!

I've just PMed you the name of the website from which I order my lash tint kits.


Wow - did not know a perm could cause a lasting color change like that!

I just PMed you back. Thanks again, Carrie!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Sep 2004
Posts: 4044
Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:13 am      Reply with quote
montrealgal wrote:
carekate wrote:
The reddish tinge to your hair was definitely a result of a perm -- you're lucky it was just a reddish tint and not full-blown ORANGE as happens to most brunettes upon getting a perm!!!

I've just PMed you the name of the website from which I order my lash tint kits.


Wow - did not know a perm could cause a lasting color change like that!
Yeah, that's why they say that if you both color AND perm your hair, you should always do the perm first because the perming solution will radically alter your natural or chemically-enduced hair color!

_________________
Über-oily,semi-sensitive, warm/fair-skinned redhead, 38...Will swap/shop for members outside U.S. and/or make homemade skincare products upon demand-PM me for details.
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Posts: 599
Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Yeah, that's why they say that if you both color AND perm your hair, you should always do the perm first because the perming solution will radically alter your natural or chemically-enduced hair color!


I've had 4-5 perms in the past and not a single hairdresser ever mentioned that. (I have straight hair and get that 'the grass is greener on the other side' bug every now and then!) But I will think twice before ever having a perm again.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 1049
Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
The reddish tinge to your hair was definitely a result of a perm -- you're lucky it was just a reddish tint and not full-blown ORANGE as happens to most brunettes upon getting a perm!!!

I've just PMed you the name of the website from which I order my lash tint kits.


Could you PM me with that info too, please Smile

Thx.

_________________
early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Sep 2004
Posts: 4044
Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:23 am      Reply with quote
amnis wrote:
carekate wrote:
I've just PMed you the name of the website from which I order my lash tint kits.
Could you PM me with that info too, please Smile

Thx.
Done!

_________________
Über-oily,semi-sensitive, warm/fair-skinned redhead, 38...Will swap/shop for members outside U.S. and/or make homemade skincare products upon demand-PM me for details.
Barbara Portno
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 274
Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:23 am      Reply with quote
I don't want to post a review yet because I might or did screw up. I used the oil enhancers (for lack of better description) and then the dark brown 1000 lash tint and I am not wowed at all. I really don't even see a difference. I have black or very dark brown hair so I went with the dark brown coloring because going with black/blue I felt like I would look like 51 going on 26 or 36....
I read everyone's direction twice if not three times. I am really disappointed. I know I used enough because my eye stung (a lot) when I opened them. What do you all think?
I really wanted to look fabulous tomorrow night because we are going out with really good friends for drinks and dinner. I am bummed.
Babs

_________________
Irish (dry and sensitive) 50 (menopausal)dark hair/green eyes
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Sep 2004
Posts: 4044
Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:00 am      Reply with quote
Barbara Portno wrote:
I don't want to post a review yet because I might or did screw up. I used the oil enhancers (for lack of better description) and then the dark brown 1000 lash tint and I am not wowed at all. I really don't even see a difference. I have black or very dark brown hair so I went with the dark brown coloring because going with black/blue I felt like I would look like 51 going on 26 or 36....
I read everyone's direction twice if not three times. I am really disappointed. I know I used enough because my eye stung (a lot) when I opened them. What do you all think?
I really wanted to look fabulous tomorrow night because we are going out with really good friends for drinks and dinner. I am bummed.
Babs
I think you probably should have gone with either the plain black (matte finish) or the blue/black (glossy -- like shiny, healthy hair -- finish).

I offer this advice to everyone who is thinking of trying this lash tint:

Unless one is a blond or a redhead, I would not recommend using the brown at all unless you were wanting to tint your eyebrows, with it because it's just not going to show up.

_________________
Über-oily,semi-sensitive, warm/fair-skinned redhead, 38...Will swap/shop for members outside U.S. and/or make homemade skincare products upon demand-PM me for details.
Barbara Portno
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 274
Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:11 am      Reply with quote
For those of you with morals, I apologize~

shit shit shit shit shit and...

I thought that might be my mistake.

Any redheads or blondes want to switch dark brown for black?

_________________
Irish (dry and sensitive) 50 (menopausal)dark hair/green eyes
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Posts: 1622
Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:32 am      Reply with quote
Barbara Portno wrote:
Any redheads or blondes want to switch dark brown for black?

i'm a redhead and *i* use the blue/black. wouldn't change it for the world! i'm not a spring chicken either and it does not look like i'm trying to be mod or anything. can't help you with the swap, but i do seriously recommend taking a leap of faith and going the blue/black route.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 1049
Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
I also wouldn't change my blue/black color for the world, either Wink.

I also recommend going with the blue/black! I dyed my mom's lashes (she is 58 ) b/c she can't/doesn't wear mascara and it really didn't make her look like she was trying to be young again. I think this stuff is really great b/c it makes such a difference in accentuating your eyes in a very subtle way. It has the effect of wearing mascara yet looks natural (something along the lines of the "no make-up" look where it's there doing its amazing things yet looks unnoticeable). Of course when I want the really dramtic look I wear mascara.

HTH.

_________________
early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 3396
Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:15 am      Reply with quote
Yep, the blue/black very much enhances your lashes without looking scary or fake. Definitely the best colour.
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 26 Aug 2005
Posts: 384
Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:24 am      Reply with quote
last i used the blue/black again and it sure helps to enhance the lashes even w/o mascara.

I just tried the 'Carbon black' mascara Loreal Voluminous and POW Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

What a difference...even with a small amount of mascara the combination of the lash tinting and the darker black mascara the difference is incredible....love it, love it, love it. Cool

_________________
oily tzone;fair; mild roseacea;PCOS symptoms-hirsutism,occasional cystic acne. Mid 30's-light-med brown hair, light brown eyes
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Posts: 599
Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
No, I live in the UK, montrealgal. Sorry that I can't remember the postage either, I'm afraid.

I did buy 4 boxes at once and I remember thinking that the price of those, including the postage, were really good value. Not sure how it reasonable it would be in relation to just ordering one, though. Plus the fact that we're used to everything being horrendously expensive over here.

I do really love this stuff, though, and can definitely recommend it.


Hi majorb,
It's good to hear another thumbs up for this product! I just received mine today and plan to try it out on the weekend. I only ordered one since it's my first time. And I went ahead and ordered from Radius, too -- thanks! I think it got here pretty fast -- about 12 business days.

BTW, the postage was approx $6US to Montreal, for those who are curious.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 30 Dec 2005
Posts: 1862
Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:02 am      Reply with quote
montrealgal wrote:
majorb wrote:
No, I live in the UK, montrealgal. Sorry that I can't remember the postage either, I'm afraid.

I did buy 4 boxes at once and I remember thinking that the price of those, including the postage, were really good value. Not sure how it reasonable it would be in relation to just ordering one, though. Plus the fact that we're used to everything being horrendously expensive over here.

I do really love this stuff, though, and can definitely recommend it.


Hi majorb,
It's good to hear another thumbs up for this product! I just received mine today and plan to try it out on the weekend. I only ordered one since it's my first time. And I went ahead and ordered from Radius, too -- thanks! I think it got here pretty fast -- about 12 business days.

BTW, the postage was approx $6US to Montreal, for those who are curious.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!


Montrealgal, just wanted to add you might try swiping a natural oil (jojoba, almond, etc.) on your lashes prior to tinting (don't wash off). It helps condition - got the tip from Carekate and tried it; works great! - before the dye.

Good luck and use a clean mascara wand, you will save yourself many headaches. Oh! I also apply vasoline all around the eye area and for the bottom, I take a tissue 2-ply piece - not large, maybe 1.5" by .5" and then use one ply to protect under my eyes. I always found the paper towel thing highly annoying and it never stayed in place. This sticks easily and isn't bothersome at all. Good luck!

_________________
42; medium, warm-toned; large pores prone to congestion; oily; using Karin Herzog exclusively right now!
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 3396
Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:39 am      Reply with quote
I'm sure you'll love it, montrealgal, but give us an update on your results. Very Happy
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Posts: 599
Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:48 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the last minutes tips, scalawaggirl. I hadn't heard the one about using tp -- I'll give it a try. You're very innovative! Laughing

Thanks, majorb Smile Yes, I will post an update.

Some things I'm wondering...

What's the best way to get the vaseline off afterward? It takes forever getting it off my hands, can't imagine what it will be like trying to get it off around the eye area.

And what would you suggest using to make the mixture in? The cup/mold they provide doesn't seem shallow enough to be able to coat the mascara wand.

Re: using the jojoba or olive or almond oil before the tint -- wouldn't that interfere with the tint *sticking*? (Didn't know almond oil was an option! Thanks, scalawaggirl. Don't know where my jojoba oil is, but my almond oil is handy!)
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 10 Sep 2005
Posts: 1025
Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:36 am      Reply with quote
Im confused as Caretake said to sit with eyes open but the directions say you should lie down with eyes closed. Which way do you girls do it? Dosent it sting with eyes open?
Thanks Very Happy
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Sep 2004
Posts: 4044
Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:25 am      Reply with quote
carolb69 wrote:
Im confused as Caretake said to sit with eyes open but the directions say you should lie down with eyes closed. Which way do you girls do it? Dosent it sting with eyes open?
Thanks Very Happy
Check the directions again: there should be two sets of instructions, one for applying the lash tint to one's self (eyes open) and the other instructions are for applying on another person (eyes closed).

Personally, I prefer eyes open but I know Mabsy prefers to do it on herself with her eyes closed (I'm assuming in that case, you would do one eye at a time...?), so it basically comes down to personal preference. For first-timers, I would recommend eyes open, and do one eye at a time.

_________________
Über-oily,semi-sensitive, warm/fair-skinned redhead, 38...Will swap/shop for members outside U.S. and/or make homemade skincare products upon demand-PM me for details.
Mabsy
Moderator

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 17 Aug 2003
Posts: 9643
Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:03 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Personally, I prefer eyes open but I know Mabsy prefers to do it on herself with her eyes closed (I'm assuming in that case, you would do one eye at a time...?), so it basically comes down to personal preference. For first-timers, I would recommend eyes open, and do one eye at a time.


Yes - I do one eye at a time and use the set of instructions you're meant to use when you apply the tint to someone else. That way I can really slather on the tint and I find that I get a richer/deeper tint this way.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 30 Dec 2005
Posts: 1862
Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:00 am      Reply with quote
montrealgal wrote:
Thanks for the last minutes tips, scalawaggirl. I hadn't heard the one about using tp -- I'll give it a try. You're very innovative! Laughing

Thanks, majorb Smile Yes, I will post an update.

Some things I'm wondering...

What's the best way to get the vaseline off afterward? It takes forever getting it off my hands, can't imagine what it will be like trying to get it off around the eye area.

And what would you suggest using to make the mixture in? The cup/mold they provide doesn't seem shallow enough to be able to coat the mascara wand.

Re: using the jojoba or olive or almond oil before the tint -- wouldn't that interfere with the tint *sticking*? (Didn't know almond oil was an option! Thanks, scalawaggirl. Don't know where my jojoba oil is, but my almond oil is handy!)


I just use eye makeup remover (Lancome is my go-to choice) and it comes right off. Removing the tint is just soaking a cotton pad and wiping it away.

Also, I use the container for mixing as I do not mix the recommended amount due to waste. I do about a 1/8" line of color and 2-3 drops of the liquid and I do mix this in the little bowl. I dip the mascara wand on one side and start applying. The key is to make sure you have vaseline all around the eye because this stuff will stain. It won't stick to vaseline, though, and the extra tissue underneath is helpful for keeping much of it on the tissue rather than all over the vaseline (still worries me a little). I keep my eyes open and do both at the same time but I've been doing it awhile so am comfortable with that.

As for the oil, no, it doesn't inhibit the tint at all. In fact, it will make them darker and glossier! You don't want to drown your lashes, just swipe to condition. I use the same mascara wand to apply both the oil and tint (squeezing w/tissue between steps to remove most of the oil).

_________________
42; medium, warm-toned; large pores prone to congestion; oily; using Karin Herzog exclusively right now!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Sep 2004
Posts: 4044
Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:17 am      Reply with quote
scalawaggirl wrote:
montrealgal wrote:
Re: using the jojoba or olive or almond oil before the tint -- wouldn't that interfere with the tint *sticking*?
As for the oil, no, it doesn't inhibit the tint at all. In fact, it will make them darker and glossier! You don't want to drown your lashes, just swipe to condition. I use the same mascara wand to apply both the oil and tint (squeezing w/tissue between steps to remove most of the oil).


Just to expand upon what ScalawagGirl said – regarding the pre-tinting oil treatment – here’s the skinny on this idea, it originally started as pre-HAIR coloring treatment but then I tried it on my lashes before tinting and the results were just as astounding!
CareKate previously posted, many, many times wrote:

I wanted to share my fave new trick when using my beloved Wella Color Charm DIY hair color: *before* dying my hair, I apply a homemade protein treatment consisting of avocado, jojoba, grapeseed and coconut oils and let it set in for 15-20 minutes, then I prepare my hair-dye mixture and apply it directly *over* the protein treatment (i.e.: without rinsing the oil out first).

You cannot even BEGIN to imagine how much shinier your hair turns out when you’ve finished and are blow drying and styling your glossy new color!!!! It completely blew me away because it looked like I had applied a clear-gloss "sealant" after I colored, or else slicked on some shine serum to my hair before blow-drying even though I hadn’t!

Alright, I know exactly what you guys are thinking: "Won’t the protein/oil treatment interfere with the penetration of the dye?" And the answer is a complete,resounding, "No!!!" If anything it makes the color penetrate more evenly so the weaker areas on the hair shaft don't "grab" too much color.

Okay, so last night I needed to re-tint my lashes so I look great in the inevitable upcoming Thanksgiving family holiday photos so I started thinking and said to myself, "Self, I wonder what would happen if you applied a protein treatment to your *lashes* before you tint them...?" Now this sounded like a mighty fine idea to me and -- being your ever-faithful guinea pig -- I decided to try it:

I applied a bit of my latest homemade hot oil treatment mixture(i.e.: olive/jojoba/avocado/grapeseed oils infused with dried Rosemary leaves but any type of oil mixture will do!) with a clean mascara spooly wand and let it dry completely, then I mixed up a bit of the 1000 Hours Lash Tint and applied it as I normally do using the "Application on Self" instructions and I rinsed my lashes and cleaned them with a bit of my Yonka Nettoyant Gel cleanser and looked in the mirror to see if the pre-color oil treatment beforehand had made a significant difference in the results....

Great hopping fleas -- if you think your lashes look great after using 1000 Hours now, just wait until you get a look at the results after you apply it over a protein treatment!!!! My lashes came out even darker and more glossy looking than usual. I mean REALLY darker and more glossy!

Please ladies: you've *got* to try this the next time you tint your lashes and see the difference for yourselves.


Anyway, if you tint your lashes or color your hair, I BESEECH you all to try this – trust me, the results will AMAZE you!!!!

P.S. When it comes to removing the excess Vaseline afterwards, I just use either my Yonka Nettoyant Gel (facial) Cleanser or my Jurlique Foaming Face Wash.

Also, as most of you have noticed, the Vaseline is very thick and gloppy and sometimes it’s difficult to prevent a bit of Vaseline from getting on your lashes which – in turn – can prevent the tint from penetrating evenly (this is ESPECIALLY true if you’ve been using the JM lash serum and your lashes have doubled in length and are now so long that they actually brush your skin, especially in the corners of your eyes!). For this reason, I’ve been looking for something else that I can use to create a barrier to prevent the lash tint from staining my skin, but which is still thinner in consistency and therefore easier to work with. To that end, I’ve found that applying a thin layer of my beloved Burt’s Bees Orange Essence Facial Cleanser with a Qtip is much easier to deal with than the Vaseline and it still creates enough of a barrier to prevent it from staining, so I just thought I’d share in case anyone else is frustrated with the Vaseline....

_________________
Über-oily,semi-sensitive, warm/fair-skinned redhead, 38...Will swap/shop for members outside U.S. and/or make homemade skincare products upon demand-PM me for details.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 10 Sep 2005
Posts: 1025
Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:51 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
carolb69 wrote:
Im confused as Caretake said to sit with eyes open but the directions say you should lie down with eyes closed. Which way do you girls do it? Dosent it sting with eyes open?
Thanks Very Happy
Check the directions again: there should be two sets of instructions, one for applying the lash tint to one's self (eyes open) and the other instructions are for applying on another person (eyes closed).

Personally, I prefer eyes open but I know Mabsy prefers to do it on herself with her eyes closed (I'm assuming in that case, you would do one eye at a time...?), so it basically comes down to personal preference. For first-timers, I would recommend eyes open, and do one eye at a time.


Oops yeah i didnt read instructions properly! I used it last night on my lower lashes and was very happy with the results, it really adds that extra something to your eyes,no more panda eyes! I'll do the top lashes tonight. Will have to try the tip with conditioning lashes too next time.
System
Automatic Message
Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:15 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic



Anthony Logistics Instant Fix Oil Control (85 g / 3 oz) Pevonia Spa Clinica Pro Micro-Retinol Essential Moisturizer (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Gatineau Melatogenine AOX Probiotics Youth Activating Beauty Serum (30 ml / 1 floz)