Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Review: Rave for DIY “1000 Hours Lash Tint Kit”
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:20 am      Reply with quote
Merci, Scalawaggirl! Thanks, Carrie!

Ok, I think I've got everything down pat, although I'm sure this first time will be a learning experience Smile

You've both convinced me - I will try it with the pre-tint oil treatment! And I have a sample-sized tube of that Burt Bee's Orange Essence Facial Cleanser somewhere. I'm off to try to figure out where I put it (and the jojoba oil!).

wave
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:17 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried it on their eyebrows? Id like too but Im worried does it stain the skin underneath the brows? I dont want to end up with 'hard' looking brows just want to accentuate them a bit more without it looking too obvious. I hate eyebrow pencil as I find it looks hard even with a light touch because it seems to get on your skin as well.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:53 am      Reply with quote
carolb69 wrote:
Has anyone tried it on their eyebrows? Id like too but Im worried does it stain the skin underneath the brows? I dont want to end up with 'hard' looking brows just want to accentuate them a bit more without it looking too obvious. I hate eyebrow pencil as I find it looks hard even with a light touch because it seems to get on your skin as well.

Yes, I do this at the same time I tint my lashes and use Brown. The trick here is that is absolutely necessary to put vaseline (or whatever you're using) all around the area you DO NOT want tinted. The other part of the trick is to use the same mascara wand as for applying to lashes. That way, you can brush it on and be precise. Even doing this, you may get a bit of tint underneath the brows but it will wash away in a day or so. It is well worth it, trust me. I am a recovering thin-brow and am to the point of only using brow powder for its actual purpose - just touching up. I am certain that soon, it will be even less necessary for me.

But yes, absolutely, tint the brows!!!!

Montrealgal, je t'en prie! Let us know how it works out for you and don't worry, if it's not perfect the first time. There is a bit of a learning curve and you can do it again!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:05 am      Reply with quote
scalawaggirl wrote:
carolb69 wrote:

Yes, I do this at the same time I tint my lashes and use Brown. The trick here is that is absolutely necessary to put vaseline (or whatever you're using) all around the area you DO NOT want tinted. The other part of the trick is to use the same mascara wand as for applying to lashes. That way, you can brush it on and be precise. Even doing this, you may get a bit of tint underneath the brows but it will wash away in a day or so. It is well worth it, trust me. I am a recovering thin-brow and am to the point of only using brow powder for its actual purpose - just touching up. I am certain that soon, it will be even less necessary for me.

But yes, absolutely, tint the brows!!!!

Montrealgal, je t'en prie! Let us know how it works out for you and don't worry, if it's not perfect the first time. There is a bit of a learning curve and you can do it again!

Thanks Very Happy Im thinking I should use brown for my brows too as I dont want them too dark, I just want to define them a bit more...I think the blue/black might be too dark.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:14 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
ariesxtreme wrote:
How often does everyone do this? Every 3-4 weeks?
I do mine about every 2-3 weeks, but my lashes grow on a very quick cycle (just like the hair on my head which grows 1 1/2" per month!). I'd say 3-4 weeks is about average for people with normal growth cycles.

FYI - I just posted a recipe for a homemade clear lash gloss to apply to tinted lashes that acts like a clear mascara to give shine and definition. If you’re interested, check it out in the DIY Skincare Recipes thread.

Caretake I cant see the recipe there....off to look again.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:38 am      Reply with quote
carolb69 wrote:
carekate wrote:
ariesxtreme wrote:
How often does everyone do this? Every 3-4 weeks?
I do mine about every 2-3 weeks, but my lashes grow on a very quick cycle (just like the hair on my head which grows 1 1/2" per month!). I'd say 3-4 weeks is about average for people with normal growth cycles.

FYI - I just posted a recipe for a homemade clear lash gloss to apply to tinted lashes that acts like a clear mascara to give shine and definition. If you’re interested, check it out in the DIY Skincare Recipes thread.

Caretake I cant see the recipe there....off to look again.
Follow this link, then scroll about 1/4 down the page: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5981&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=500

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:56 am      Reply with quote
carolb69 wrote:
Im thinking I should use brown for my brows too as I dont want them too dark, I just want to define them a bit more...I think the blue/black might be too dark.

FYI - this is probably a no-brainer, but you can also tint your brows with the hair color you use to dye your (head) hair...assuming, of course, your brows and hair are the same shade!

I use "Dark Golden Brown" dye to give lowlights to my auburn hair and I also use it to tint my brows (which are naturally dark brown) in exactly the same manner that ScalawagGirl described (i.e.: lots and lots of vaseline).

Just wanted to point that out in case you don't want to wait for a box of brown 1000 Hours to arrive from Down Under....

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone,

Here's an update as promised.

I used this over the weekend. In terms of results, I guess it's a mix of good news and not so good news. The blond tips are definitely gone - dyed black/blue. However, I don't see any difference on the rest of my already black lashes.

But it was the first time, and I will repeat in 3-4 weeks!

Btw, the key really is to making sure the surrounding area is well-covered to the dye from getting onto the skin. Once I saw that I could wipe away any mistakes, i was able to apply with confidence.

I ended up using a vitamin E ointment instead of the vaseline. It's less tacky and it worked! I also used a sponge eye shadow applicator to apply -- that way I didn't have to deal with cotton from the swab getting onto my lashes. And since I only used the underside of the applicator, I didn't have to worry about about getting any ointment on my lower lashes when applying to the undereye area. I think this made the process easier - at least for me.

Scalawaggirl, I tried putting the tp under my eyes, but it wasn't easy getting it under the lashes, and when I finally did, it ended up shifting! But I had enough ointment and close enough to the lash line that I could easily remove smudges. Oh, and you're right 1/8 inch is plenty!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:36 pm      Reply with quote
montrealgal wrote:
I also used a sponge eye shadow applicator to apply -- that way I didn't have to deal with cotton from the swab getting onto my lashes.
FABULOUS idea!!

BTW, go outside and take a look at your blue/black tinted lashes in broad daylight and you should see the difference -- they just look glossier and healthier, more THERE.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
montrealgal wrote:
I also used a sponge eye shadow applicator to apply -- that way I didn't have to deal with cotton from the swab getting onto my lashes.
FABULOUS idea!!

Glad you like it, Carrie! I forgot to mention that I also used a second applicator (clean one, nothing on it)for wiping off smudges. The applicators I used have a round tip on one end and a pointed one on the other. I used the pointed sides only.

Quote:

BTW, go outside and take a look at your blue/black tinted lashes in broad daylight and you should see the difference -- they just look glossier and healthier, more THERE.

I tried your suggestion this afternoon, Carrie, but it was gray and rainy so that didn't work. Looking forward to a bright sunny day so I can check them out!
blue i's

Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
I did my first application of 1000 hour lash tint and although it made a slight difference it was nothing like what you all mention (I used the black). When I mixed the dye it was the texture of half-melted jello. The dye did not mix that well with the liquid. I thought I did something wrong so I dumped it and started over but still did not mix very smoothly. Is that the way it should mix?
blue i's

Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:54 am      Reply with quote
I used the 1000 hour lash tint the first time. Results were not great. When I mixed the dye and the liquid it would not blend well-- sort of had the look of half-melted jello. Thought I must have done it wrong so I poured that out and started over. Same half-mixed texture. i kept on stirring but it did not get any better. I applied it but like PocoLoco it didn't seem to want to "stick" or take. Made some difference in color but not much. I am blond w/ blue eyes and blond lashes so I NEED all the help I can get!! Any thoughts?
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:41 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
carolb69 wrote:
Im thinking I should use brown for my brows too as I dont want them too dark, I just want to define them a bit more...I think the blue/black might be too dark.

FYI - this is probably a no-brainer, but you can also tint your brows with the hair color you use to dye your (head) hair...assuming, of course, your brows and hair are the same shade!

I use "Dark Golden Brown" dye to give lowlights to my auburn hair and I also use it to tint my brows (which are naturally dark brown) in exactly the same manner that ScalawagGirl described (i.e.: lots and lots of vaseline).

Just wanted to point that out in case you don't want to wait for a box of brown 1000 Hours to arrive from Down Under....

Thanks Caretake Very Happy I am downunder so have no problem getting my hands on this Very Happy
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:48 am      Reply with quote
blue i's wrote:
I used the 1000 hour lash tint the first time. Results were not great. When I mixed the dye and the liquid it would not blend well-- sort of had the look of half-melted jello. Thought I must have done it wrong so I poured that out and started over. Same half-mixed texture. i kept on stirring but it did not get any better. I applied it but like PocoLoco it didn't seem to want to "stick" or take. Made some difference in color but not much. I am blond w/ blue eyes and blond lashes so I NEED all the help I can get!! Any thoughts?

blue i's Did you mix it in the container it came with? Did you mix with the wand? I found it took a bit of mixing but it ending up blending well. I put heaps of the mxture on my lashes..practically saturated them! They turned out good.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:27 am      Reply with quote
carolb69 wrote:
Did you mix with the wand? I found it took a bit of mixing but it ending up blending well. I put heaps of the mxture on my lashes..practically saturated them! They turned out good.
I hate mixing it w/ the little stick that comes with the kit -- it takes forever! I have found that using a wooden craft (i.e.: "popsicle") stick is much better, or I hijacked a white plastic mixing wand/spatula-thingy from an old hair highlighting kit that works FABULOUS!

I also can't RECOMMEND ENOUGH the hint about using an eye shadow sponge-y wand applicator to apply the vaseline (or whatever you use as your "barrier") -- it's MUCH BETTER than the Qtip so you don't get vaseline all over your lashes by accident, especially in the far corners where my lashes are always getting tangled up b/c they're so long.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:32 am      Reply with quote
blue i's - I just used the last tint for the first time yesterday.

1. It didn't mix too well for me either ... I kept stirring and stirring - then I started applying and wouldn't you know it - after it sat for a couple of minutes it melted and jelled together.

2. I did have horrible stinging inn my left eye from the solution fumes but it was fine once I wiped away and restarted.

Does anyone use this for their BOTTOM lashes? I tried but it was near impossible to use vaseline and not have all 5 of my lower lashes stick to the vaseline.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:04 am      Reply with quote
Rjez wrote:
Does anyone use this for their BOTTOM lashes?
Always! Try using the eyeshadow spongy-wand to apply the vaseline -- it really helps! Also, instead of vaseline, try something thinner (such as Burt's Bees Orange Essence Facial Cleanser which is what I use exclusively now) but which still has a oily barrier. Even pure lanolin might work. Others use "Unpetroleum" but I'm not sure what the consistency of that is....

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:59 pm      Reply with quote
I got the blue-black and it is fantastic, so easy to mix and apply! I never have even considered tinting my lashes myself, I just assumed that was something you have done in a salon.

I used, wait for it, Creme de la Mer for my barrier... hey, I didn't have any vaseline and I might as well get SOME use out of the La Mer, right? Laughing It worked fine, top and bottom. Glad La Mer works for SOMETHING!
CK
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
I got the kit early this week and used it for the first time. I don't have vaseline at home and used the Strawberry Lip Balm I got from EDS instead and it worked well. Razz

My problem is that the tint didn't seem to cling on the lashes very well. Confused And the colour (I have it in Black) is barely noticable on my already dark lashes. My lashes even look finer (I mean the hair itself) after tinted. It's weird. Confused I try again and see whether it will work better next time.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:38 pm      Reply with quote
This stuff seems just what I need!! Lash tinting is unheard of in Japan and my very fair lashes can only get tints twice a year when going home to Oz. Mascara is out for my bottom lashes as they are very long and curvy and I end up with panda eyes very quickly. Laughing

SO my question is: from one box of this tint, how many applications do you get?

on a similar but different topic, do these kind of dyes have use-by dates? A salon lady in Australia once sold me the dye mix to do my own eyebrow dying at home here in Japan but I have not used it for years and was thinking of trying it again. I wonder if it would be OK still?

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
CK, I'm with you on the product not clinging very well. It seems like that may be the main reason it is not working as good as expected for me. I am using this weird dental floss thing that looks like a tiny mascara wand. I like how it works to a degree, however I don't know if the "tint clinging to the lashes problem" is due to the way it's applied or if it's difficult no matter how it is applied. It seems to just stick to whatever applicator is used and not transfer to the lashes very well. Crying or Very sad
CK
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:35 pm      Reply with quote
tiger_tim, one kit should be enough for 12 applications according to their website. But if you're going to tint your lashes only but not the eye brows, you can use less and it will give you 24 applications. Razz

thirtyish, I too think this is the reason why it didn't work well for me. I used a mascara wand and the applicator provided together. The tint just didn't cling to the lashes and it DRIPPED. Doubt Maybe my lashes were not clean enough to begin with? Confused
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:36 am      Reply with quote
CK, this kit can also be used for brows?? (hmm though prolly not blue-black. Laughing )

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:07 am      Reply with quote
CK wrote:
I got the kit early this week and used it for the first time. I don't have vaseline at home and used the Strawberry Lip Balm I got from EDS instead and it worked well. Razz

thank you so much for this tip! it's embarassing, but i don't have vaseline and haven't been able to find it here. i've tried other things instead, but nothing's been quite as good. i'd totally forgotten that i had this balm (hidden in my unused stash basket) -- yeah!!!

as for everybody's problems with the coating, etc., it really is trial by error. you need to mix it properly (the wandy/sticky thing they give you is useless) and let it set for a couple of minutes to gel. and you *really* have to slather it on (at least i do). i first use a mascara wand and then use whatever impliment i have arounnd to coat coat coat. i want to see clumps everywhere. and i leave it on for pretty much as long as i can stand it.... you might want to try the one eye at a time method at first so you can close that eye and really get it on thick. the most important thing, IMO, is getting the Blue/Black for magical lashes! also using a pre-treatment oil as carrie mentioned helped a lot. for lashes that look a little thin after tinting, they could be a touch dehydrated. try sleeping with castor oil on them for the night after -- they will plump right up.
CK
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:48 am      Reply with quote
tiger_tim wrote:
CK, this kit can also be used for brows?? (hmm though prolly not blue-black. Laughing )

Hmm...I suppose so. It's actually called Eyelash & BROW Dye Kit. Cool
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:25 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |