Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
La Roche Posay or Avene Sunscreens - opinions please?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
fatsia
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hi

I am still trying to find a decent sunscreen. After lots of reading I think I may have narrowed it down to either La Roche Posay or Avene.

I have pale skin that freckles if exposed to the sun. I'd like the highest SPF I can get but would like some moisturising as well. I'm off to Sardinia in 4 weeks so really need to get ordering...

I have tried the Skinceuticals (not high enough factor for abroad) and like that as it goes under makeup easily. I have also tried the DDF one but it flakes off and is revolting and cannot be worn under foundation/tinted moisturiser. Also, the smell makes my eyes water when it is on my face.

My main sunscreen requirements are:

highest SPF possible

not too highly scented

is a little bit moisturising and non-flakey

can be put under foundation/tinted moisturiser and pref

Could anyone give me their opinions on La Roche Posay and Avene sunscreens.

The ones I have found so far are:

LRP Anthelios XL Fluid Extreme SPF60

LRP Anthelios SPF 60 XL milk

LRP Anthelios SPF 60 cream

Avene Sunblock cream SPF 50+

Avene Sunblock Spray SPF 60b/60a

Many thanks and sorry about the long post.

F
freckles127
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Fatsia,

It sounds like we have similar skin type (light skin, freckles, sunburn rather easily) and I have tried both these brands. Of the 2, I liked LRP more but it made me look oily... very shiny on the nose. It blended well due to it's watery consistency and provided great coverage. The SPF I bought was 45 and PPD 19 but I'm guessing the texture would be the same as SPF 60.

Avene gave me a pinkish tint and I had to really rub it in because of the thicker consistency. Don't think I would repurchase again.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
fatsia,
What kind of make up do you wear? The reason I ask is because LPR breaks down in the presence of minerals, so if you are a MMU user, Avene is a better choice.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hi fatsia - I use both brands and faith is right -- certain (generally metallic) cosmetic ingredients will degrade LRP. So will OMC (octylmethoxycinnamate) -- a throw in "sun protector" in some treatments and makeup. Bad Bird, our forum sunscreen guru who has educated us about these things, has tried the Avene Emulsion which is the most suitable formula in the Avene line for summer. I've got Avene Spray SPF50+ (it's light but oily -- I use this a lot), Lotion/Lait SPF50+ for Face and Body (not as oily but thick and heavy-duty -- whiter too -- would be great for your hands, elbows, feet, knees, etc.), and Creme SPF50+ (I'm saving this for winter because it's so rich). The only reason I haven't purchased the Emulsion is because I've already spent a small fortune on my current stock!

The LRP Fluide Extreme SPF60 is really nice (but also a bit oily) -- I use it when I'm not using any other compromising makeup or treatments on my skin.

I'm so jealous -- I've been dying to visit Sardinia!!! I'd love to hear about your trip! Have a wonderful time!
Bad Bird
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Freckles127,

The Avene which gave you a pinkish tint is probably the tinted version. You should try the untinted ones - they are really quite good, and soothing (I know this is a weird thing to say about sunscreens but it is literally that. Maybe it's the thermal waters in it, but I find it really good when my skin is red and peeling from retinol use). Smile
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:50 pm      Reply with quote
I really find Avene physical sunblock soothing as well. I'm using AVENE SUNSCREEN LOTION SPF 25. It's really thick though (dare I say greasy?) and pink tinged but doesn't go on me pink, just white! And sticky...but, has no scent at all so it's as good as it gets for me. I haven't used any LPR ones though so I can't compare the two.

editing to add that I have tried the Ombrelle sunscreen with Mexoryl and it stung my face, not sure why but I've stuck with physical blocks ever since.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:37 am      Reply with quote
I don't freckle, but am very fair - and since I avoid the sun at all costs and am very conscious of UVA protection, La Roche-Posay is the route for me.

Like you, my eyes are susceptible to watering if I'm not wearing just the right thing, so I can feel your pain!

My holy grail sunscreen application for every day is: La Roche-Posay Anthélios XL Fluide Extreme SPF 60 for the chest/shoulders/neck/face - but I avoid the eyes, as the Anthélios XL Fluide Extreme 60 makes mine water. On the eye area & arms/hands (since the following dries to almost a perfect powder finish & I've zero patience for stickiness!), I apply La Roche-Posay Anthélios "S" SPF 30. Since the finish of the latter sunscreen is the tiniest bit ivory around the eyes, it does double-duty as a really lovely highlighter in this area. (For some reason, the Anthelios "S" SPF 30 leaves no white cast on the arms - go figure.)

The Anthélios SPF 60 XL Fluide Extreme bottle is too small & pricey to apply on my arms & back. I live in the States and must order it from overseas, so this is the most economical means for me to stay covered!

On my back, I use the La Roche-Posay Anthélios Enfants SPF 40 Spray. On the legs, I use ordinary Avobenzone via Ocean Potion SPF 50 sunscreen because I'm usually wearing long skirts.

All of these different sunscreens are a pain I'll admit(!), but I'm thrilled to have finally gotten a no-watery eyed, non-sticky, no-white cast, MEGA-protective sunscreen system down to a science. Practicality for me is a must!

For a visual, I will provide images of the products I apply every day. I hope I've helped ...

Image Image Image Image
quacko
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I've used both Avene and LRP Fluid Extreme 60, and I prefer Avene. I found that it gives me better coverage from the sun (strange, isn't it). I use Avene 50+ spray bottle, and I like it pretty well.

Also, as faith and others have mentioned, Avene is great to use with mineral make-up.
misskoslow
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there---

I have very fair skin and a surprising number of moles. To make it easier I have a mother who is a practicing dermatologist. She and I swear by La Roche Posay. I recently came back from Kenya where I wore Anthelios 60spf cream every day and I returned with not a single burn. SugarFreeSheila has always been a great advocate for LRP and I would suggest looking closely at her posting. I think my mother is currently out of Anthelios (she sells it like hot cakes) but I can ask you if would like Smile.

Anthelios 60spf cream is a bit thick, but it works. I have put powder over my face after I use it and haven't had a problem. Hope my thoughts helped.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:23 am      Reply with quote
Since sunscreen is oily, will it cause breakouts for combination skin? Does anyone know any good sunscreen for combination/ sensitive skin? Btw, if you're not out in the sun for long..a SPF 15 moisturizer is good enough? Thanks! Very Happy
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:28 am      Reply with quote
I've this week moved onto the Avene 40 Lait - the children's version for sensitive skin - beautifully non-greasy. Too early to post a full review, but as I say not oily.
fatsia
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone

Thanks so much for all your replies. In the end I ordered the Avene and the LRP as I could not decide. They wont go to waste as I use sunscreen every day anyway.

Thanks again

F
skinprofusion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
get LRP with the mexoryl. you can get it online. it's the best.!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:05 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |