Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Prod Review: Best DIY Hair Color, Period!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » DIY and Home-based Company Skincare Product Reviews
Reply to topic
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
How can I possibly get some of this? I am in Canada and any salon/beauty supply store i called said I can only get in if I'm a stylist.
Wndrwman
5% products discount

Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Lily - I would suggest that you log on to wellausa.com and look at the color swatches or go to your local beauty supply and look at the color swatches in person. I found that I look much better in the gold tones. They have the colors separated by gold tones, brown bases, etc. Once you find the color you like, do a search for wella color charm. I liked it so well that I actually got a brown/gold shade for my mousy looking eyebrows. Did them tonight and I am soooooo pleased! If you strike out in Canada, I would be happy to try to send you the colors of your choice.
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
If I can't find it in Canada I would really appreciate you sending it to me and, of course, I would cover all costs. I'm going to look it up now...
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
I found the Wella permanent and semi coloron line but I'm looking for the demi color. Does anyone know of an online place to order this? What about the Ardell grey magic?
Wndrwman
5% products discount

Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
I found all of it at my local beauty supply store. Be glad to send it to you if you cannot locate. I'm surprised you couldn't locate the demi color. Keep searching until you find the color you want. Believe me ... its worth it!
Wndrwman
5% products discount

Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
Lily - How are you doing in your quest for the Holy Grail demi color?
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
I have found a place that it seems like I can order the color but only in permanent or semi-permanent. But the codes for the semi seem to be the same for the demi that I found on a different site so I'm trying to find out the difference.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:59 am      Reply with quote
lily wrote:
I have found a place that it seems like I can order the color but only in permanent or semi-permanent. But the codes for the semi seem to be the same for the demi that I found on a different site so I'm trying to find out the difference.
I went back to look at the Sallys Beauty website, and it looks like I was mistaken in that there are *not* three separate Color Charm formulas (permanent, semi-permanent and demi-permanent). Wella Color Charm is only available in permanent and demi-permanent formulas (also “demi” is many times substituted for “semi” and they usually both mean the exact same thing).

For the record, here’s the info regarding the semi/demi Color Charm Formula:
http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1420/800350 I apologize for any confusion this may have caused. Embarassed

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
caretake: Thanks. That's great news b/c it means I can hopefully order this stuff on line!
Wndrwman
5% products discount

Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
How is everyone doing with their Wella? Its been a few weeks now and I still love, love, love my hair! Wow! I haven't said those words in decades! I've gotten compliments from friends saying they just love the color and how wonderfully natural it is. My daughter, self named Chief of the Fashion Police, told me that she loved my hair and how healthy it looked. (Didn't say anything about the color, but if she didn't like it, she would certainly not be to shy to say so!) All in all ... I will still NEVER go back to anything but Wella.
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone know what would happen if I did half permanent color and half semi permanent?
4luvofk9s
5% products discount

Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:54 am      Reply with quote
Hi All,
I just joined this group - and love this thread since I have just started DIY my hair color (have gone for years to a salon for color and highlights). I started DIY with Robert Craig - although they say it's a permanent it still only deposits color and will not lighten it so I would say that is not permanent. Anyways - no matter what color I use dark/light/combo of the Robert Craig - it does not cover my stubborn greys. I have a ton of hair (but each strand is thin - which makes people think I have thick hair but I just have a lot of it) around two inches past my shoulders - all one length - curly with 35 to 40% grey.
So after reading this thread I drove over to Sally Beauty Supply and bought one bottle of color charm - praline, and the Grey Magic. I was stumped though as to what brand of developer to purchase.
My questions:
Is there really any difference between them? I think the lady at the store said there is cream and liquid developer? - does anyone know if any brands are less harsh then others? If anyone has any tips that would be great - and if people could let me know the type of developer that they are happy with that would be great too - especially easy on the scalp.

My natural hair color is probably dark moussy brown. As a child I had golden brown/blond hair but got darker as I got older. My mother's hair was such a dark brown that it almost looked black, my dad's was (he's bald now) dirty blonde - so I think I was a dark moussy brown (colored for so long the only way I can tell is by looking at my eyebrows) Anyways, if I am doing the Praline color which is like a warm golden light brown do you think I can get away with a 10% developer? The lady at the store looked at my roots and said that 10% is really only if you are not going any lighter at all from your natural color.
Let me know your thoughts - thanks!

Pat Smile Smile
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
4luvofk9s wrote:
I was stumped though as to what brand of developer to purchase.
My questions:
Is there really any difference between them? I think the lady at the store said there is cream and liquid developer? - does anyone know if any brands are less harsh then others?...Anyways, if I am doing the Praline color which is like a warm golden light brown do you think I can get away with a 10% developer? The lady at the store looked at my roots and said that 10% is really only if you are not going any lighter at all from your natural color.
I think you’ll find the answer to most of your questions in this thread, my 2nd or 3rd post down from the top:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=8050&highlight=developer

As for which brand of developer, I honestly can’t remember which brand I got. I know it was the Color Charm, and I think it is the “Clear” formula and I know I got the 20% strength. I really don’t think the brand of developer matters so much, as the strength of the developer that you use (10%, 20%, 30%).

The sales lady who advised you to go with 10% developer misled you a bit. While she is correct that 10% will work if you’re not going any lighter or darker than your natural color, because your hair is more than 25% grey, you’re going to need a stronger strength of developer because grey hair is *extremely* resistant to “taking” the dye. For anyone who has more than a couple grey hairs here or there, you need to use at least the 20% developer. And if your hair is more than 50% grey, you need to use the 30% developer just to ensure that you get an even color job, regardless of whether or not you are trying to lighten/darken your color or are simply trying to stay your own natural color.

HTH,
Carrie

5% products discount

Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Carrie for responding - I'll let ya know how it turns out!
Pat
kristie

Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
I too have discovered color charm hair color a couple of months ago. My problem is that the color looks good until I touch up my roots and the haircolor doesn't match the rest of the longer hair. I have long hair, middle of back, and it has a gentle perm for color treated hair that I got 3 or 4 months ago. I use a protein filler before I color and do the roots then touch up the rest of the longer hair. I use the tan blonde 3/4 and 1/4 of canyon copper. My natural color is dark blonde or light brown and my goal is a light reddish brown. What can I do to keep the color rich looking? I have a chlorine shower filter, use the color sealant, leave in treatment sealant, all color treated hair products and wash every other day and condition every day. Any tips??
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
One last (desperate) plea for any info of where I can order this if I live in Canada.

I went through the whole ordering on beauty deals and then they would not let me order b/c they only ship to the US. Crying or Very sad
Mabsy

Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:06 am      Reply with quote
lily wrote:
One last (desperate) plea for any info of where I can order this if I live in Canada.

I went through the whole ordering on beauty deals and then they would not let me order b/c they only ship to the US. Crying or Very sad

I had a look on Google and American Discount Beauty Supplies stocks this - they also ship internationally. I haven't ordered from them before so I don't know what they're like http://69.94.104.102//page386.html. Also, I think you can buy this through Amazon.com Wink

I'd happily CP this for you but I haven't seen it anywhere in Australia as yet (and probably never will Rolling Eyes ).

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
I tried this! (I actually used carekate's exact recipe.)

I was scared before and during this dying process. Now I'm a veteran of at-home hair dying but I never dreamed of actually having a clue as to what to buy in Sally's!

Warning: After you finish putting the dye into your hair it will look like a crazy clownish red... this is not the color it will end up! When I saw that I immediately wanted to hop in the shower and get it out but I'm so thrilled that I didn't! It came out a beautiful auburn!

I used the 30% cream developer because I've had a problem with box dyes not getting my hair all one color. The bottom of my hair is always darker than the top, and color doesn't seem to take there. Not a huge difference, but I can tell. So I tried the stronger strength over the 20%. This time the color took! There is still a slight (so much better than before) difference, which I can see if I hold my ends to my roots. As a woman who can't get enough of hair dye I think I've found my holy grail. THANK YOU!
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all,

By chance (I hadn't seen this thread), I bought Wella Color Charm a couple of weeks ago, but chickened out and didn't use it. (I read the word "hydrogen peroxide" on the developer bottle and that was enough to do it.)

I ended up using Aubrey organics henna instead. Just like the last time, it made the bottom of my hair too dark (previously color treated and more porous), and the top is lighter with gold highlights "covering" the grey.

I'm thinking about trying the Wella, but I wonder if it's okay to use this on hair that has been henna'd? Anyone know? Also, I'm wanting to avoid grey roots as my hair grows out so I bought the demi-permanent color. But wouldn't it be damaging to the hair cuticle to use a product with hydrogen peroxide in it, repeatedly over time because of the color fading? I get pretty confused/sad whenever I think about this, and swear that I should just let my hair go grey!

I did have Wella color done in a salon once and it was my favorite salon-dye job ever....
Harmonster
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
I know that my mom used to use henna to cover her gray and basically it just made it brilliant clowny orange. I also have used henna in my hair and I think that's what messed up the bottom of it in the first place. I think all dyes tell you not to use it if you've hennaed your hair... they say to cut off the hennaed hair and then go for it. I'm not sure about cutting it off, on mine I just gave it a couple months to get washed out as much as possible.

I hope someone with actual knowledge responds, I'd love to know more about it. lol.

Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:22 am      Reply with quote
lily wrote:

you have to go to Beauty Supply store. I buy my collor in Toronto in these stores. They are open to anyone beside hairstylists.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:13 am      Reply with quote
PocoLoco wrote:
I'm thinking about trying the Wella, but I wonder if it's okay to use this on hair that has been henna'd?
Oh God, I hope I’m not too late: you should NEVER use a traditional hair dye, be it Wella Color Charm or a drugstore kit, over any type of henna because it can seriously damage your hair and/or cause it to turn a color that you didn’t intend!! This is actually the reason that I’ve never tried any henna products myself, because I like to change my hair color too often and wouldn’t have the patience to wait a year for the henna to grow out before I could play with my hair color again.

Seriously, you should read up on using metallic hair dyes over henna-ed hair to find out exactly how long you should wait, or else you should speak to a master hair colorist for advice.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
It's not too late! You saved me. Smile

I wish my hairstylist had warned me about this when I told her I was thinking about moving to henna products! She should know how often I like to "tweak" my hair color! Confused
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
PocoLoco wrote:
I wish my hairstylist had warned me about this when I told her I was thinking about moving to henna products! She should know how often I like to "tweak" my hair color! Confused
Believe it or not, and to be brutally honest, most stylist aren’t aware of the conflict/danger of applying henna over metallic dyes or vice versa! Confused At least that has been my experience – whenever I mention it, they just give me a blank look. Shock

Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
I am very excited that I found this thread. I have been coloring my hair for the last 6 months with drugstore color. Lately, I haven't been happy as it just doesn't look natural anymore. I have natural dark blonde hair (that was very blonde as a kid and has progressively gotten darker year after year). I have fair skin so I look better with lighter hair. I have been using Light Ash Blonde but it has been looking brassy and "bottle blonde" looking- especially when the roots show only 2 weeks later. I want a more ashy look without the golden look which is how it looked when I had it done in the salon.

We have a Sally's not too far away. Any suggestions on the color I should choose for what I want accomplished?

Thanks, Nicole
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:36 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |