Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Hi, I need some suggestions and help
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Jakecool

Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, my names Jake and I'm new to these forums but I've been a part of several other forums so I pretty much know the rules. (no flame wars, swearing, negative comments about others, etc..) Like I said in my profile I'm 16, homosexual, not everyone knows but I sure do like to look good lol. My problems currently are minor acne and some minor dry facial skin. With the acne... I'm trying to get in the habbit of cleansing my face daily. I have done it for one week morning and night but my face got really dry and started to peel. Are there any cleansers or things that can remove acne that work well? I realize this isn't a hair forum either but does anyone have any suggestions for hair shampoo that work really well? I'm still stuck using the Wal-mart junk my mom buys. I really appriciate your suggestions.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:52 am      Reply with quote
Hi, Jake, and welcome to the forum. Smile

Lots of people around here seem to really love the Dr Hauschka range (particularly the Cleansing Cream) for acne. Although I don't have acne and my skin is a lot older than yours Very Happy , I've found the St Ives Radiance Cleanser to be fantastic for making my skin really clear and fresh-looking. I believe they do a Blemish Control product, but I don't know how good it is as I've never used it myself.

Anyway, I've done a search and come up with some links to other topics already covered on this forum that might help you. One of them even gives fantastic homemade recipes that often seem to work really well. I'm sure there'll be a few that will be good for your skin.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7627

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7077

This one has homemade recipes for all kinds of skin problems:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5981

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7539

As for your hair, could you tell us a bit more about it - like the condition (dry, greasy, normal, dyed, etc) and what kind it is (straight, curly, frizzy, etc)? Then someone might be able to come up with some good recs for you.

Brandwise, I really like Redken. Kerastase's pretty good. I also have a love/hate relationship with Aveda - some of it's brilliant and some of it was created by the worst demons in hell, as far as I'm concerned. Very Happy
Mabsy

Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:58 am      Reply with quote
Jake - can you tell us what type of cleanser you are using? You said that you have dry skin so I am guessing from what you have described that you are using a cleanser that is just too harsh for your skin. Try using a cleanser that is a cream/milk formulation rather than a gel and that has a small amount of glycolic acid in it to help with exfoliating the skin. For example, Cellex-C Betaplex Gentle Cleansing Milk might be a good choice (it also has Beta Bydroxy Acids that work to clean out the pores) for you although I am sure that there are many others that will fit the bill. You will find that this may still dry out the skin a little bit (glycolic acid tends to do that). Are you using any moisturisers?

As far as the shampoo goes, again you need to tell us what your hair is like - dry, oily? I suggest you start a separate thread about it though over in the Lounge area Wink

Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:25 am      Reply with quote
Cool thanks guys. For now I've just been washing my face with soap and water and that seems to dry it out. I just used a new clenser last night that is just a generic one and my skin tone allready looks a lot better this morning. I will look at some of those recipies though. My hair type is long strait (kinda like what you see Jesse McCartney and all of them have) except mine is brown. I do tend to break out a lot on my forehead so this type of hairstyle always covers it up. Once I get that under control I will probably get it cut. I'm not sure if I'd consider my hair greesy... I wash it 1-2 times a day because it tends to get really greasy real fast so maybe you could consider it greesy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:54 am      Reply with quote
Welcome to the Forum, Jake!

What kind of cleanser were you using during the week when you were washing twice daily? Because it sounds like the product might actually have been too harsh. What kind of budget are we talking about here? I’m guessing because you’re probably still in high school that you’re going to want recommendations for products that are cheap but still work well. Personally, I’ve found that it’s quite easy to make several skin care products at home that work as well, if not better, than the stuff you can buy at the store. If you are not much into making stuff yourself, if you send me a private message (click on the “PM” button at the bottom of this post), I will be happy to prepare some of the products for you and ship them to you along with complete instuctions on how to use them.

As Majorb said, we need to know more about your hair type before we can make recommendations. Believe it or not, there actually are some pretty decent products out there that can be purchased at Walmart, so maybe you can give your mom a list of stuff you’d like her to get. Are you only looking for a good shampoo, or do you also need a conditioner and/or styling products? If you need hints for styling products, then you need to tell us not only hair type and/or condition, but also how you like to wear your hair and/or the type of styling products that you prefer (i.e.: mousse, gel, wax, etc).

Carrie

Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:17 am      Reply with quote
Would it help at all if I were to show some pictures of myself for you guys to get an idea of my hair type?

Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:14 am      Reply with quote
Jakecool wrote:
Would it help at all if I were to show some pictures of myself for you guys to get an idea of my hair type?

Not really. But I think you said it yourself - your hair seems to be oily rather than dry.

Re: cleanser. If you were just using soap then I can definitely see that drying out your skin (unless you were using a specific face cleansing bar). Stick with your new cleanser and see how you go.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:30 am      Reply with quote
Jakecool wrote:
I'm not sure if I'd consider my hair greesy... I wash it 1-2 times a day because it tends to get really greasy real fast so maybe you could consider it greesy.
Jake - you might want to consider the fact that you shampoo twice daily is CAUSING your hair to be greasy. Let me explain: washing your hair too often can strip the scalp of its natural oils, thereby causing the oil glands in your scalp to kick into “overdrive,” producing even *more* oil, so each time you shampoo, you strip the oils and your oil glands kick into gear to produce more oil to replace what was lost – it’s a vicious cycle!

The same thing can happen to your face if you wash it too often, which is often a mistake that oily-skinned folks like me can make before we become educated about our skin type.

If you truly *do* have oily hair, there are some simple tricks that you can do to help control it and I bet your mom has at least one of the ingredients in her pantry right now!

[quote="carekate"]Homemade Hints for Hair Care:

Prevent Oily Hair and Scalp:

• Add 30 drops of Clary Sage oil to your fave bottle of shampoo and/or conditioner to help control the production of sebum (oil), and to help fight dandruff; or

• Add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to your fave bottle of shampoo to to help control the production of sebum (oil), and to help fight dandruff (I bet your mom has some ACV in one of her kitchen cabinets right now!!); or

carekate wrote:
I’ve actually been playing around with essential oils, making different shampoo formulations for my mom as she has extremely oily hair – I mean EXTREMELY oily! Her hair is as oily as my face used to be!! I mean, she washes it and three hours later you can see oil up around the scalp. Eeeck!!

So here’s the oil-control formulation I would recommend adding a full bottle of your fave shampoo:

• 5 drops Ylang Ylang;
• 5 drops Clary Sage (this is the essential oil that is most-often touted for it’s oil-control abilities on the scalp;
• 2 drops Cypress
• 2 drops Geranium
• 2 drops Lemon
• 2 drops Peppermint
• 1 drop Lavendar
• 1 drop Rosemary

My mom has been using this formula since Saturday and it has cut back on the “ooze” factor. We’re hoping it’ll have a cumulative effect and work even better the longer she uses it.

One other thing I wanted to tell you: having your oily hair hanging down over your forehead, brushing against your skin could *also* actually be at least part of the cause that you are having breakouts on your forehead.

Jacob, I have a 20 year old who *never* listens to me when I try to give him advice about personal grooming, but it sounds like you’re willing to listen to some good advice and really want to start taking good care of yourself so I’d really LOVE to send you some homemade skin and hair care products – completely free of charge – to help start you out on the right road to great skin and hair so you can be a really man killer in a few weeks!! Wink Please send me a private message or email so I can tell about my ideas for whipping you into shape!

Carrie

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:15 am      Reply with quote
Eek! Definitely best not to wash your face with soap and water, Jake! Shock Very Happy As Mabsy said, that can really dry your skin out. A decent cleanser will probably make a world of difference for you.

And Carekate was right about washing your hair too much making it greasier. I had that same problem when I was younger. I found that washing every other day kept my hair in much better condition.

She was also right about your hair brushing against your face contributing to spots, particularly if your hair's greasy. That was another problem I used to have with my fringe. (I think you call them "bangs" in the US?)

Anyway, Carekate's always posting the most amazing recipes, so I would definitely let her sort you out with some, if I were you. And you must keep us up-to-date with how gorgeous she makes you look! Smile
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:46 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |