Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cleansing Oil
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
LizaA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:44 am      Reply with quote
I love homemade skin care. I try to be as sanitary as possible Laughing

I use any of the following: macademia, almond, avocado, olive, grapeseed and/or seasame oils for cleansing. After which I wipe off the oil and wash it off with a foaming cleanser. I find that my skin feels much softer and hydrated than just washing it off with foaming cleansers.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:15 am      Reply with quote
I too have taken to using oils for cleansing with, at the moment I have been using Castor oil, grapeseed and Jojoba.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:12 am      Reply with quote
This is definitely a method I'm going to try once I get enough $$ to buy some good cold pressed oils.

Do you guys think any particular oils are good for cleansing? (I've heard grapeseed and castor because they are 'drying' oils)
EJB
5% products discount

Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:42 am      Reply with quote
whats the difference between cold pressed oils and 'regular' pure oils?
Why is one better for the skin than the others?
You just rub these oils on your face?? How does your face not end up oily? I'm embarassed that I don't quite understand HOW this can be. Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
Hello EJB

Don't be embarassed at all!

One of the biggest psychological barriers that people have to get through (especially if they have been just using regular cleansers/moisturisers) is the idea of 'fighting fire with fire'.

Now I don't think that someone with oily skin should literally drench their face in oil to stop it being oily, but if you use an oilier cleanser then rinse in warm water, much of the oil is absorbed or wiped away when drying. So that means less need for a moisturiser.

For an oil cleanser, you basically just massage it gently into your skin, but I think for a little longer than gel or foaming cleansers. Because it's the rubbing action that draws out dirt and such.

Your face is left feeling a lot softer, but not that squeaky clean feeling though.

I was SO afraid to use anything oil based as a moisturiser, let alone a cleanser. But if you want to start on something not so oily, try the Dr Hauschka Cleansing Cream, and see if you like the feel of it.

--

Cold pressing is a process of extracting oil from plants/seeds which has a very low yield, through only 'squeezing' it out without the use of heat or solvents. THis way doesn't spoil the nutrients or leave any chemical traces. Since your skin will be absorbing the oil, might as well use something that is clean and not degraded.

Unless something specifices 'cold pressed', then it usually be done through another way, of course they won't say which! And this is reflected in the price range of many oils. As using solvent extraction (most common), it is cheaper and more oil can be derived out of a plant.

Hth Surprised
EJB
5% products discount

Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for being so patient and explaining. Your response has bought up another question: You said that the massaging is, basically, what brings everything up from your skin. If this is the case, why doesn't massaging any other cleanser bring up the 'sebum blocks' that I hear about w/ oil cleansing? There must be something about the oils that causes this reaction... I wonder???[/quote]

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
I think the oils must have some sort of drawing effect, which cannot be achieved from sulfate 'foaming agents' or those palm based ones (sodium laureth anything).

And quoting from Long Hair Comm, "oil dissolves oil" too!

I have also read somewhere that olive oil is sapponable (sp) or can be made into 'soap', when it is mixed in water. So it may have an additional cleansing step to it when you wipe the oil off.
TheHomeBody

Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:31 am      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
I think the oils must have some sort of drawing effect, which cannot be achieved from sulfate 'foaming agents' or those palm based ones (sodium laureth anything).

And quoting from Long Hair Comm, "oil dissolves oil" too!

I have also read somewhere that olive oil is sapponable (sp) or can be made into 'soap', when it is mixed in water. So it may have an additional cleansing step to it when you wipe the oil off.

All oils have some degree of saponifiables, but it takes more than water to turn an oil into soap. I make awesome cleansing oils, with no sulfates, and mine don't need an extra washing step afterward.

5% products discount

Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
I like jojoba and castor oil, in equal quantities. I've used extra virgin olive oil too, but the jojoba seems better. Cleaning my face with oil is just one of the best things I've learned from this forum - and that's saying something, because I've learned a lot.
crazyskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:36 pm      Reply with quote
Having combo/oily skin I initially found the idea of cleansing with oils repulsive. Why would I put on a substance that my skin already overproduces? But I warmed up to the idea when I started to use sunscreen regularly - sunscreen actives are mainly oil-soluble so the base of most sunscreens tend to be oily. I felt the need to make sure I was removing my sunscreen completely at the end of the day. And its been said that nothing removes oil better than oil.

I planned on trying the DHC olive oil cleanser but I spotted Fancl Mild Cleansing Oil (good reviews at MUA) at my neighborhood Japanese store and got all excited to try it. I've been using this for about 6 weeks now and so far, so good. You put it on a dry face, massage, then emulsify with water and rinse. I follow up with a salicylic acid cleanser to remove traces of the MCO.

I read somewhere that some oils actually mimick the lipid content of skin. Among them are apricot, jojoba, olive, sesame, safflower, soybean and sweet almond. Can anybody comment on these oils? Also, I heard that grapeseed oil is good for acne marks - has anyone used it for this purpose?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Crazyskin

I have also read that lighter oils, that are clear, like safflower and jojoba are very similar to sebum. But I have also read that almond oil can be comedogenic.. but then using Dr H CC would have caused much trouble by now!

I have only heard of using rosehip as an oil for scarring. But I was very sensitive to it and broke out a little around my eyes when I used it as a eye oil.
crazyskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:33 am      Reply with quote
Hi miranets Smile thanks for the info! I see from your signature line that we have similar skin conditions. I am finding that my skin reacts well to natural products too.

Hmmm hmm rosehip oil - is that to be applied neat or does it need a carrier? I'm thinking of giving that a go.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Crazyskin

I use rosehip oil straight for any scars or dry areas. But many places sell it in such a small size, like 20-50mls, for about $30!!

I think cold-pressed and organic rosehip oil is very very veryyy expensive. If you are after a decent quantity like 50-100mls to use straight, then retail prices are going to be $$$$

I tried to use it on an old-ish chickenpox scar, and around my eyes, but seemed to cause a little milia and small pimples. Since it is a very very rich oil, probably better off using it with another carrier oil like jojoba or something.

I did use it on my dry lips and it was very soft in the morning, but did not have that lasting moisturising effect, so my lips were peeling away again during the day.

I would definitely go easy on it, especially with oily skin. I think it is an oil more for it's rejuvenating qualities rather than it's likeness to sebum.

Hth
crazyskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
Yes miranets that does help, thank you! Smile Kosmea's rosehip oil was discussed in another thread and apparently it can cause breakouts. So I was planning to try it as spot treatment on acne scars using baby swabs and a 4X mirror for precision. Thats iffy now as the tradeoff seems risky, but I haven't completely given up on the idea. I guess I could us jojoba as a carrier, build up strength gradually and see how that goes.

Been having a hard time finding rosehip oil in the small health food stores near me so I'll check out Whole Foods. The Kosmea looks lovely but the 30 USD shipping cost is pretty hard to swallow, plus I just need a small amount to test.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:09 am      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
...Now I don't think that someone with oily skin should literally drench their face in oil to stop it being oily...
Yeah, well, I'm hear to tell ya that literally drenching my face in oil really HAS stopped my skin from being so oily!!

Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:09 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |