Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Body Butters
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
melissajane
5% products discount

Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on making body butters. I have been trying but they never seem to work. Last nite i tried to make one using: 1 tbsp shea butter
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp cocoa butter
1 tbsp apricot kernal oil
Then i tried to whisk it using the hand held stick blender but wouldnt change so put it all in the blender. Oh and i added some corn starch. Well it stayed runny after blending it all nite and then i ended up putting it in a container and it was solid this morning. I have read that it should form stiff peaks like egg white before you put into its container.
If anyone has any tips on this i would be really greatful,
Thanks,
Melissa. Very Happy
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:28 am      Reply with quote
hmm not tried but have thought you may be using too much oil?
I always use proper coconut 'oil' which is a solid at room temperature and not the treated oil which stays like regular oil.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:12 am      Reply with quote
When I make body moisture bars, I do equal quantities of shea and cocoa with some grapeseed oil. I leave mine overnight to harden off. I'd avoid adding things like starch in future because if the consistancy isn't right, then you can always warm and add either cocoa or a liquid oil depending on what you want. If you want to have a 'fluffy' mix, then I think (but not sure) that you can also add some water instead of more liquid oils.

You could also try beating when the mix is nearly set. I have to do this to my scrub bars and body scrubs or all the grits settle in the bottom.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
I saw in some books the use beeswax as emulsifier. In the UK, I found Neal Yard book offers a step by step guidance on how to make your own cream or lotion.
melissajane
5% products discount

Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for your tips. I will try to make it again using beeswax and some water. Yes the coconut oil i used was the solid stuff, it looks nice enough to eat!!
It is so frustrating when you spend ages trying to get it right and it just wont work!
Confused
Ps: thanks sarah i will look out for that book u mentioned.
Sarah Jones
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:57 am      Reply with quote
Hi Melissajane,

I just found the book, here is the recipe for

cream:
2 tsp beeswax
2,5 tsp cocoa butter
2 tsp sweet almond oil
1 tsp wheatgerm oil
3 tsp spring water
0,5 tsp emulsifying wax
few drops essential oils

balm:
2 tsp beeswax
3 tsp almond oil
1 tsp wheatgerm oil
2 tsp herb tincture or spring water
few drops essentials oils

Good luck! Hope you will enjoy your homemade products.
melissajane
5% products discount

Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Sarah Jones for those recipes. That is really helpful. I will attempt to make them on the weekend and let you know how i go!! I have got the hang of making lotions with oil, water and emulsifying wax but butters are just so hard.
Melissa.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:49 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |