Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Anyone know of a good waxing kit I could purchase?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
strawberry1
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:32 am      Reply with quote
I would much rather do my waxing at home and need some recomendations. I have tried Veet and that was a waste of $$. Anyone know of some good ones?
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:15 am      Reply with quote
I've tried quite a few without success. The best I found was Epil Ya - which doesn't need heating up. It's not perfect, but was pretty good.

Recently, though, I bought an epilator and found this to be much easier and more effective for me, and it means I don't have to put up with hairy legs whilst waiting for enough regrowth to be able to wax again.
strawberry1
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:39 am      Reply with quote
Thanks majorb

I wonder what kind the salon uses because it seems so simple how they do it.

Anybody have anymore suggestions?
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:32 am      Reply with quote
I recently purchased the new Nair No Strip Wax. It says it's even effective on short hair. I don't usually wax, I shave my legs about every month, I know, crazy, huh? In the winter it's ever three months or so! The thing is, the hair on my head is so thick and dark but the hair on my body, from eye lashes to on my legs, it's thin and light coloured.

I love the smoothness I get with a wax though, I don't get the same effect with shaving plus I tend to get excema on one shin and shaving it far more irritating. This new Nair stuff was really easy to use, you microwave it to heat it up then use the stick provided to stir it with, it's also a temperature indicator strip. The best thing though is you spread it on, it sets in seconds and then you pull it off! No bothersome strips, I could never get them to work properly. I had more success actually removing all the hair under the wax than I ever have with strip waxing.

I couldn't find it online, anyone in the States heard of it? I got it at Wal-Mart here in BC.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Lolli, I have seen these in Wal-mart but I didn't know if they work or not so I will give them a try thanks.
melissajane
5% products discount

Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

Not sure if this recipe has ever been posted on here but thought i would give you a recipe for home made wax. It really works:

2 or 3 cups sugar (cant remember)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup lemon juice
tbsp glycerine

Put all together in a bowl and microwave on high till all the sugar is fully disolved, think its about 6 minutes or so.
Then it will just be a syrup. Wait for it to cool and it will be the consistency of honey but MAKE SURE U WAIT TILL IT IS COOL and dont do what i did and put some on your leg while it is still hot as it burns like hell and you cant get it off as it is stuck to your leg.
When cool spread on leg or body with an icecream stick or knife and then then put a cotton strip on, press down and pull hair in opposite direction than it grows.
It is much cheaper than buying wax from the supermarket or chemist.
Mabsy

Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:31 am      Reply with quote
Lolli wrote:
I recently purchased the new Nair No Strip Wax. It says it's even effective on short hair.
I couldn't find it online, anyone in the States heard of it? I got it at Wal-Mart here in BC.

I bought this last night!!!! Or at least I think it's the same thing (it's a lilac color). I finished a tub of Nads wax on the weekend (I really like the Nads wax, but I know there are many here that hate it) and I wanted to try something new. I had a sample of StripAway wax strips that I was pretty impressed with but I couldn't find it in the shops. I then bumped into this new Nair wax that doesn't need strips and is meant for short hair. I was a tad worried because I had tried those before (*huge* mess was made and scissors were involved in getting it off my underarm hair Shock ) but for some reason I decided to buy this. I haven't tried it yet but I'm glad to hear you say that it's easy Lolli.

Oh, here's the link to it: http://www.pharmacyonline.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=6587 Is that the same wax that you're talking about Lolli?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:24 am      Reply with quote
Lolli wrote:
I recently purchased the new Nair No Strip Wax.I couldn't find it online, anyone in the States heard of it? I got it at Wal-Mart here in BC.
Yeah, I've seen at my local Walmart down here, so I know it's available. I can never get the home wax kits with the muslin strips to work worth a damn, but I adore my Poetic Waxing kit (only recommend for waxing small areas) which has the same sort of spread-it-on-let-it-harden-then-rip-it-off technology so methinks I'll have to snag one of these Nair things the next time I'm at the store to try...I just hope it works better than the plain old Nair depilitory cream/s, because those do nothing for me but give me a massive chemical burn! Embarassed

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:09 am      Reply with quote
"Moom"... it's all natural Very Happy
Fairlyfair
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
LOL Mabsy on the NADS. I'm one of the ones that hate it. Only because, the infomercial made it looked so easy and painless - it gave me false hope. They show the people just waxing away in a beach hut within a few minutes. I guess the infomercial worked, because when I saw it in the store - I bought it. The same infomercial led to my disappointment with unrealistic expectations. The wax was goppy and stringy, very messy to work with. I like their soothing cream and soap though. Good ole marketing!!!

Although I hardly wax myself, my beautician uses the kind you heat up in the microwave and roll on. That seemed to work evenly and easy, so that is what I would recommend for those trying waxing themselves.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:49 am      Reply with quote
Hmmm, I may have spoken too soon! I’ve been to three different stores and haven’t been able to find the Nair No-Strip Wax. Then, this morning, I googled it to see where I could order it online and the only hits that were returned were for Canadian retailers! Looks like if I want to try this, I might have to call in one of my “chips” with one of my pals from up over the border....

This really hacks me off because I was all set to try this stuff out this weekend. I’d like to say that I’ve been carefully cultivating my leg-hair just for this opportunity, but the truth is that I was both too lazy and too ill to bother shaving my legs in nearly two weeks!! I guess this means I’ll be stuck mowing the lawn with my vibrating Gilette (men’s) razor (which I traded in for the vibrating Venus)....

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
Fairlyfair wrote:
LOL Mabsy on the NADS. I'm one of the ones that hate it. Only because, the infomercial made it looked so easy and painless - it gave me false hope. They show the people just waxing away in a beach hut within a few minutes. I guess the infomercial worked, because when I saw it in the store - I bought it. The same infomercial led to my disappointment with unrealistic expectations. The wax was goppy and stringy, very messy to work with. I like their soothing cream and soap though. Good ole marketing!!!

You know, come to think of it, I don't use the Nads wax as instructed on the packaging. I think it says that no heating is necessary - when I first tried that it was a complete mess! I heat it up the way I do with normal wax and use strips over it. Works very well!

I'm looking forward to trying the Cire Devine Nair one. I've never been a big fan if Nair so it'll be interesting to see what this one is like. I'll give it a go tonight and I'll report back Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:56 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
Lolli wrote:
I recently purchased the new Nair No Strip Wax. It says it's even effective on short hair.

I bought this last night!!!! Or at least I think it's the same thing (it's a lilac color). I finished a tub of Nads wax on the weekend (I really like the Nads wax, but I know there are many here that hate it) and I wanted to try something new. I had a sample of StripAway wax strips that I was pretty impressed with but I couldn't find it in the shops. I then bumped into this new Nair wax that doesn't need strips and is meant for short hair. I was a tad worried because I had tried those before (*huge* mess was made and scissors were involved in getting it off my underarm hair Shock ) but for some reason I decided to buy this. I haven't tried it yet but I'm glad to hear you say that it's easy Lolli.

Oh, here's the link to it: http://www.pharmacyonline.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=6587 Is that the same wax that you're talking about Lolli?

Sorry to reply so late! We are getting ready for a little road trip to Vancouver Island, it's too much work to go on vacation.

This the one, Mabsy!! I sure hope it works out for you. I love to skip a step, I have never been so successful waxing myself.

editing my typing and grammatical errors, this post was hardly legible Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:01 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Hmmm, I may have spoken too soon! I’ve been to three different stores and haven’t been able to find the Nair No-Strip Wax. Then, this morning, I googled it to see where I could order it online and the only hits that were returned were for Canadian retailers! Looks like if I want to try this, I might have to call in one of my “chips” with one of my pals from up over the border....

This really hacks me off because I was all set to try this stuff out this weekend. I’d like to say that I’ve been carefully cultivating my leg-hair just for this opportunity, but the truth is that I was both too lazy and too ill to bother shaving my legs in nearly two weeks!! I guess this means I’ll be stuck mowing the lawn with my vibrating Gilette (men’s) razor (which I traded in for the vibrating Venus)....

I would send it for you, Carrie! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:16 am      Reply with quote
Check out this website

http://www.naircare.com/products/waxes.asp

In the U.S., I think they call it Nair Lasting Effects for the face. This is the only one where the wax forms it's own strips.

The other line of Lasting Effects have strips included. Wonder why the face one only has the no strip feature? It's a great idea!

Nair® Lasting Effects™ Microwaveable Wax is a quick and easy way to remove unwanted hair from the most delicate area – the face. No more guessing when the wax is cool enough to apply. Our color changing Temperature Indicator takes care of that for you. Save yourself a step every time you wax because this wax eliminates the need to use cloth strips – it forms into strips on its own.

5% products discount

Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:40 am      Reply with quote
it's kind of costly but i really like the poetic waxing kit. azulene wax is very gentle on the skin.

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp56663_333181_sespider/poetic_waxing/poetic_waxing_kit.htm
Mabsy

Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
Lolli wrote:
Sorry to reply so late! We are getting ready for a little road trip to Vancouver Island, it's too much work to go on vacation.

This the one, Mabsy!! I sure hope it works out for you. I love to not have additional step, I have never been so successful waxing herself.

I tried it last night and love it! It's so much easier than the other "no strip" waxes that I have tried - this one actually worked! It was nice and simple, not messy, quick, and pretty painless (keep in mind I've been waxing for years). I'm definitely buying this in the future instead of the normal waxes! Good stuff! Mine came with just a normal wooden spatula but I didn't have any problems with figuring out when it was at the right temperature. It's also a pretty lilac color with a pearly finish Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:53 am      Reply with quote
Okay, we definitely don’t have that Cire Devine Nair at any of the stores in my area. And I don’t recall seeing the one strictly for the face, as shown in the link that Fairly Fair provided. But now more than ever I want to try this stuff out! There’s a girl in Toronto who’s been in sporadic contact with me regarding Ardell Lash stuff, but she doesn’t have a PayPal account so we’ve been trying to come to terms on a swap. If I’m not able to work something out with her soon, I’ll definitely be taking Lolli up on her offer!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:03 am      Reply with quote
LOL it does sound like it would be wonderful to try. Yeah we need an international trading swap team here!!!

Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:11 am      Reply with quote
I can send this to you as well Carrie and FairlyFair if you're really itching to try it. It's about AU$19 here but the postage might be a tad high because it's heavy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:46 am      Reply with quote
As providence would have it, somebody just sent me the following “true story” and I thought it would be fitting to post it here for all to share and cringe over. Oddly enough, that poor woman’s experience sounds eerily similar to my own the first time I tried to use Nads. Perhaps now you’ll be able to understand my violent dislike of this particular “wonder from down under”!!

Hair removal 101....

All hair removal methods have tricked us with their promises of easy, painless removal - The epilady, scissors, razors, Nair and now...the wax.

My night began as any other normal weekday night. Come home, fix dinner, play with the kids. I then had the thought that would ring painfully in my mind for the next few hours: Maybe I should pull the wax out of the medicine cabinet.

So I headed to the site of my demise; the bathroom. It was one of those cold wax kits. No melting a clump of hot wax, you just rub the strips together in your hand and then they get warm and you peel them apart, press it to your leg (or wherever else) and hair comes right off. No mess, no fuss. How hard can it be? I mean I'm no girly girl; I am mechanically inclined enough that I can figure it out.

*YA THINK!!!*

So I pull one of the thin strips out. Its two strips facing each other stuck together. Instead of rubbing them together, I get out the hair dryer and heat it to 1000 degrees. Cold wax my rear end (Oh how this phrase haunts me!).

I lay the strip across my thigh. Hold the skin around it tight and pull.

OK so it wasn't the best feeling, but it wasn't too bad. I can do this! Hair removal no longer eludes me! I am She-ra, fighter of all wayward body hair and smooth skin extraordinaire.

With my next wax strip I move north. After checking on the kids I sneak back into the bathroom, for the ultimate hair fighting championship. I drop my panties and place one foot on the toilet.
Using the same procedure I apply the was strip across the right side of my bikini line, covering
the right half of my v-g-na and stretching down to the inside of my butt cheek (Yes, it was a long strip).

I inhale deeply and brace myself. RRRRIIIPPP!!!!

I'm blind!!! Blinded from pain!!!!.... OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!

Vision returning, I notice that I've only managed to pull off half of the strip. Crap!!! Another deep breath and RRIIPP. Everything is swirly and spotted. Do I hear crashing drums???

OK, back to normal. I want to see my trophy - A wax covered strip with my hairy pelt, that has caused me so much pain, sticking to it. I want to revel in the glory that is my triumph over body hair. I hold up the strip!

There's no hair on it.

Where is the hair? WHERE IS THE WAX??? Slowly I ease my head down, foot still perched on the toilet. I see the hair. The hair that should be on the strip. I touch. I am touching wax. Crap! I run my fingers over the most sensitive part of my body, which is now covered in cold wax and
matted hair.

Then I make the next BIG mistake...................remember my foot is still propped up on the toilet. I know I need to do something. So I put my foot down. Noo!!!!!!!! I hear the slamming of the cell door. V-g-–. Sealed shut. Butt?? Sealed shut.

I penguin walk around the bathroom trying to figure out what to do and think to myself "Please don't let me get the urge to poop. My head may pop off."

Hot water!! Hot water melts wax!! I'll run the hottest water I can stand into the bathtub, get in, immerse the wax-covered bits and the wax should melt and I can gently wipe it off right???

*WRONG!!!!!!!*

I get in the tub - the water is slightly hotter than that used to torture prisoners of war or sterilize surgical equipment - I sit. Now, the only thing worse that having your nether businesses glued together is having them glued together and then glued to the bottom of the tub. In scalding hot water. Which, by the way, doesn't melt cold wax.

So, now I'm stuck to the bottom of the tub!! God bless the man that convinced me I should have a phone in the bathroom!!!!! I call my friend thinking surely she's waxed before and has some secret of how to get me undone.

It's a very good conversation starter "So, my butt and who-ha are stuck to the bottom of the tub!" There is a slight pause. She doesn't have a secret trick but does try to hide the laughter from me. She wants to know exactly where the wax is located on my bottom. "Are we talking cheeks or hole or what?"

She's laughing out loud by now... I can hear her. I give her the rundown and she suggests I call the number on the side of the box. YEAH!!!!! Right!! I should be the joke of someone else's night. (Is this what they mean by being the butt of someone else's joke?)

While we go through various solutions, I resort to scraping the wax off with a razor. Nothing feels better then to have your girlie goodies covered in hot wax, glued shut, stuck to the tub in super hot water and then dry shaving the sticky wax off!! By now the brain is not working,
dignity has taken a major hike and I slip into glazed donut land.
My friend is still talking with me and my hand reaches towards the saving grace....the lotion they give you to remove the excess wax. What do I really have to lose at this point. I rub some on and OH MY GOD!!!!!!!

The scream probably woke the kids, scared the dickens out of my friend, but I really don't care. "IT WORKS!! It works!!

I get hearty congratulations from my friend and she hangs up. I successfully remove the remainder of the wax and then notice to my grief and despair..........THE HAIR IS STILL THERE.........ALL OF IT!!!

So I shaved it off. Heck, I'm numb at this point.

Next week I'm going to try hair colour......

This little anecdote reminds me of the film “40-year-old Virgin” that is currently in theaters in the U.S., and the scene they show in the movie trailers on TV is where this guy is getting his chest waxed for the first time and he’s screaming psuedo-obscenities (“Kelly Clarkson!!”) while the esthetician is ripping the strips away, and then the ask for men’s reactions to that scene after seeing the film and all the men are cringing and skimmish about it and I’m sitting there thinking, Man, you guys are the biggest p*ssies – don’t even *try* to talk to me about pain and suffering until you have your tw*t waxed!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:02 am      Reply with quote
OMG .....shreek Shock sounds so painful - that poor lady! It reminds me of the Friends episode when Ross was in his new girlfriend's bathroom with leather pants and they were so tight he could not get them back on, so he tried lotion, then called Joey, and then Joey said to put powder, so then it made a paste. Funny episode!!

Thanks so much for the offer Mabsy, very very kind of you Laughing . But I'll pass, by the time shipping is counted for - it would be easier for me to just get it professionally done.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:47 am      Reply with quote
rofl I laughed so hard reading that, that I was actually crying. I have to send that to all my friends...Thanks Carrie!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:58 am      Reply with quote
I'm still wincing!!!! Shock Laughing
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Okay, we definitely don’t have that Cire Devine Nair at any of the stores in my area. And I don’t recall seeing the one strictly for the face, as shown in the link that Fairly Fair provided. But now more than ever I want to try this stuff out! There’s a girl in Toronto who’s been in sporadic contact with me regarding Ardell Lash stuff, but she doesn’t have a PayPal account so we’ve been trying to come to terms on a swap. If I’m not able to work something out with her soon, I’ll definitely be taking Lolli up on her offer!

My offer still stands, Carrie!

Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:16 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |