Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Allergic rash due to blush use
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Morphy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:14 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

First, I want to say, this forum has been so wonderful! The advice I've received in the past proved right on!

I am asking for your help with yet another skin problem:

I'm having a really hard time finding a blush that I can use. I have tried everything from the very cheap drugstore variety to the very expensive but no luck.

After applying blush my face feels itchy then breaks into a rash that looks like very tiny bumps.

I find this much worse with blushes that contain glimmery/shimmery material.

Does anyone have this problem? Any idea what materials are causing this so I can read the ingredients and avoid them? I have wasted a ton of money on blushes that I couldn't use (latest fiasco "Bare Escentuals - Heaven").

Thank you!
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:44 am      Reply with quote
Hi Morphy,

There must be a common ingredient in all the blushes that is causing the reaction ... possibly the colour/dye?

Have you tried any of the mineral blushes? Mineral makeup is generally far nicer to one's skin, whether sensitive or not ... but particularly for sensitive/problem skins. Check the ingredients of the minerals you choose, but generally, I believe that they utilize pigments rather than dyes ... and they are generally recommended for people who have problems with other makeup products.

In fact, there are some people who have found that their skin problems improved with continued use of mineral makeup.

There are some companies that will send you sample amounts of their product ... which is a great way to try them without purchasing them.

This might be the answer for you!

Good luck

Mary[/i]
Morphy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:33 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mary,
Thanks for responding!
As I mentioned in my post, I have tried Bare Escentuals' blush in "heaven". I think that is a mineral makeup? The powder foundation from Bare Escentuals is the ONLY foundation I can use though. I love it.
Can you recommend any other brands? Will these companies send samples to us folks in Canada?
Thanks.
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:46 am      Reply with quote
BE is indeed mineral makeup. Pure Luxe,www.pureluxecosmetics.com , and Barefaced Minerals, www.barefacedminerals.com , will both send samples to Canada. I have tried samples from both and purchased eye shadows form barefaced minerals. Both are excellent companies as well.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:11 am      Reply with quote
Morphy -

I quite agree with Faith on Bare Faced Minerals and Pure Luxe. Also, The Mineral Boutique is re-opening their site for business and she (Amy) has a wonderful line as well. I hadn't recommended her lately b/c she was in the middle of a move.

Rhonda at BFM is in the process of formulating mica-free blushes which I have heard can also be an irritant. Rhonda was asked to formulate a mica-free blush b/c the customer was breaking out from traditional blushes. Maybe there's a connection?

I would have also thought that bismuth oxychloride could have been the culprit, but if you're able to wear BE's foundation with no problem, than it's probably not that!!!

Maria Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:13 am      Reply with quote
Hi again Morph,

Sorry ... I missed the reference to Bare Essentials in your original post! Confused

Along with the companies that others have recommended ... since you're in Canada ... perhaps you should try CoverFX.

CoverFX was forumlated by the Dermatology Department at Sunnybrook Hospital and is sold through select Shoppers Drug Mart stores across Canada. I don't know where in Canada you're from ... but I know Sunnybrook Hospital very well having grown up about 3 miles south of it. Their Dermatology Department is highly respected ... as is Sunnybrook itself.

Once a Vet's Hospital they began venturing into some very specialized research when the number of Vets decreased. They were the first hospital in Toronto to begin Migraine research ... and they tended to move into other areas that weren't covered well by other hospitals.

If you go to the CoverFX site, you can find the Shoppers nearest to you that carries the line.

http://www.coverfx.com

My face used to react to all sorts of "ordinary" makeup ... but I haven't had any problems with the CoverFX.

Now they don't have samples ... but the cosmetic counter at Shoppers have a complete tester kit ... and you could try the blush there.

How long after putting the blush on does the reaction set in? If it's immediate, you'd know right away whether or not the CoverFX's "bronzers" were a problem for you.

This is a very perplexing problem that you've got. I'm presuming that you apply your mineral powder foundation before putting on blush ... right?

I would have thought that by having the powder foundation, it would have protected your skin from the blush itself! Confused Just goes to show you ... !

I hope you get some help from these responses.

Good luck

Mary
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
If mica is the cause of the allergy, then Barefaced Mineral foundation contains mica too. So I was wondering that if you can tolerate Barefaced mineral foundation with no problem, then you should be fine with their blush too?
charlie
5% products discount

Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:47 pm      Reply with quote
I sometimes get the same reaction with blusher, even ones I'd been ok with then they start to cause problems. Finally worked out that it happens when the brush I'm using is overdue a wash. Embarassed

Doesn't sound like it's your problem Morphy (assuming you've tried liquid blushes too), but thought it might be useful for someone. Although if you're using a new brush, it might be worth giving it a good rinse in case it's got any chemicals left in it from manufacture.
Morphy
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:00 am      Reply with quote
Wow!! Thanks for all the replies, I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. You're all wonderful!! Very Happy

I will give the brands suggested a test try and see if I react or not, if not, I will probably go with the brand that has the best color for me (I'm very pale due to genetics/anemia)

In answer to some of your questions:

- I react to the blush right away when I put it on, even when applied over BE's foundation. My skin feels itchy, then I get a red rash that sometimes takes a few days to go away... it comes in patches.

- I think washing the brush often is an excellent idea. I try to do it as often as I can, but I should probably do it more often.

- I have also heard that mica is a known irritant, but then it's in the foundation... maybe it's in it in much smaller amounts?

I suspect the problem is in whatever gives the blush its color or glimmer. Like I said, it tends to be the blushes with glimmer that irritate me the most (same thing for eye shadow).

Thanks again, if I find out the specific culprit, I will post back on the forum, as it might be useful to others.

Smile
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:13 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |