Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Is there more powerful sunscreen?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
EliteBlondSociety
5% products discount

Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
Than say...75, as that is the highest I have found. Is there any place where I can find SPF 90 sunscreen, or at least something abouve 75? I am just curious, since I have gotten somewhat lighter using lemon juice at night and SPF 75 sunscreen during the day. I am hoping there is something out there that is stronger so I can get whiter now that it's getting colder. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Fairlyfair
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
You can get sunblocks as high as SPF 100 like Bioderma Photoderm Max SPF 100. My experience for higher SPF's has been it is greasier, cakier, and more likely to cause breakouts.

Sunscreens are rated by the SPF number (sun protection factor). This number tells how many times longer you can stay out in the sun without burning. So, a SPF of 15 means that if it takes 30 minutes to get a sunburn, then you can only stay out in the sun for 7 to 8 hours before getting a burn. Higher SPF sunscreens only take out about an additional 3 or 4 percent of the sunlight. So higher numbers really are better, but once you get past SPF 15 the difference is not very remarkable.

What you do want to keep in mind is to look for a broad spectrum sunscreen(UVA and UVB), rather than relying just on higher numbers. UVA which many sunscreens may not protect against is what causes you to darken not burn.Sunscreen ingredients that can prevent you from complete range of UVA (320-400 nm) are Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide, micronized form of zinc oxide and Avobenzone. Avobenzone breaks down very quickly, so european sunblocks containing mexoryl or tinosorb are better.
La Roche Posay Anthelios 45 or 60 with mexoryl is a popular choice for many, but I still find it greasy on my face.

5% products discount

Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
Fairlyfair wrote:
You can get sunblocks as high as SPF 100 like Bioderma Photoderm Max SPF 100. My experience for higher SPF's has been it is greasier, cakier, and more likely to cause breakouts.
Sunscreens are rated by the SPF number (sun protection factor). This number tells how many times longer you can stay out in the sun without burning. So, a SPF of 15 means that if it takes 30 minutes to get a sunburn, then you can only stay out in the sun for 7 to 8 hours before getting a burn. Higher SPF sunscreens only take out about an additional 3 or 4 percent of the sunlight. So higher numbers really are better, but once you get past SPF 15 the difference is not very remarkable.

What you do want to keep in mind is to look for a broad spectrum sunscreen(UVA and UVB), rather than relying just on higher numbers. UVA which many sunscreens may not protect against is what causes you to darken not burn.Sunscreen ingredients that can prevent you from complete range of UVA (320-400 nm) are Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide, micronized form of zinc oxide and Avobenzone. Avobenzone breaks down very quickly, so european sunblocks containing mexoryl or tinosorb are better.
La Roche Posay Anthelios 45 or 60 with mexoryl is a popular choice for many, but I still find it greasy on my face.

Where at, might I ask? Just wondering. And I know what you mean about higher numbers being uncomfortable. Hawaiian Tropic Ozone is SPF 75 and leaves the face looking ultra shiny.
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
How do you use the lemon juice? Just rub it on and let it sit for a while?

What's the diff. b/t sunblock and sunscreen? Anything?

Thanks.
athena
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
I use the Anthelios XL Fluide Extreme by La Roche Posay. It is AWESOME. It has great UVA protection - a high PPD of 28. Look for high PPD, not just the SPF.
skin adict
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
I really like Photoderm MAX spf 100. You can find it at:

http://www.delivereddeals.com/BioSun.asp

I'm usually allergic to chemical sunscreens but can tolerate Photoderm for some reason. Although I only use it when I know I'll be out for extended periods of time in the sun (at a pool, outdoor party, etc.).

I need sunscreen because I burn easily and am prone to hyperpigmentation.

Hope this helps.
Nymue
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:47 am      Reply with quote
athena - do you find the Anthelios Fluide greasy at all? Do you use it under makeup? I have not tried any of the La Roche Posay sunblocks yet. I can't stand the ones that I can FEEL on my face... I end up spending mega bucks on the European ones and having them sit in my drawer because I hate the way they feel.

skin adict - which of the Photoderm Max products do you use? I have the cream, but it feels too heavy on my face. I am actually waiting to receive the Photoderm Max 100 Fluide, as I heard it feels nicer on the skin.

I've actually found that http://www.physea.com has better deals on Bioderma sunblocks than Delivered Deals. The delivery takes 2-3 weeks, but it's much cheaper. Very Happy

Beth
athena
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:54 am      Reply with quote
No, I don't find the Anthelios greasy. I use my Olay moisturizer underneath it, I don't wear makeup. But I don't have oily skin, so others with more oily skin may react differently.
Fairlyfair
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
It also depends on your skin type whether you find a sunblock greasy or not. I've noticed when my skin is oily during summer months, most sunblocks will feel greasy on me. When I was doing some glycolic/lactic peels and my skin was much dryer, the same sunblocks did not feel greasy at all.

Currently, I've been using Shisedio Benefique 50 and it has a matte finish, does not feel greasy at all even with my oily skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
athena wrote:
No, I don't find the Anthelios greasy. I use my Olay moisturizer underneath it, I don't wear makeup. But I don't have oily skin, so others with more oily skin may react differently.

You may not want to do that, if your Olay moisturizer is the SPF 15 kind. I think it will degrade the sunscreen, producing free radicals and decreasing its effectivness. If you need moistuizer first, make sure it is one that does NOT contain any SPF products. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:24 am      Reply with quote
My skin is currently very dry (due to Accutane). And the Photoderm Max cream felt very heavy on my face. It made my skin feel like it couldn't breathe.

I have heard that the Shiseido feels very nice and matte, but the PPD is not as high as the European sunblocks. But considering I will just go without rather than put a heavy sunblock on my face, what good does the high PPD do me anyway? When I receive the Photoderm Max Fluide, if I don't like it, I'm going to stop spending all this money to try the European ones and just get the Shiseido. At least I can just go to a department store for it, and get a sample at that!

Beth
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
Is Mexoryl available in the US now?
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
sharky wrote:
Is Mexoryl available in the US now?

Not to my knowledge except on Ebay.
athena
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
faith wrote:
athena wrote:

You may not want to do that, if your Olay moisturizer is the SPF 15 kind. I think it will degrade the sunscreen, producing free radicals and decreasing its effectivness. If you need moistuizer first, make sure it is one that does NOT contain any SPF products. Smile

Thanks for the tips. I didn't know that. But I use the Total Effects Anti Aging Anti Blemish Moisturizer which doesn't have SPF. So it should be fine. Very Happy
sernx
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
athena wrote:
faith wrote:
athena wrote:

Thanks for the tips. I didn't know that. But I use the Total Effects Anti Aging Anti Blemish Moisturizer which doesn't have SPF. So it should be fine. Very Happy

Wow, I didn't know that either! I just thought they would increase sun protection! Embarassed
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:00 pm      Reply with quote
sernx wrote:
athena wrote:
faith wrote:
athena wrote:

Wow, I didn't know that either! I just thought they would increase sun protection! Embarassed

Yes, that Olay product should be fine! Smile

I know, I thought that too, but actually no. Actually does harm. Wink

Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:57 am      Reply with quote
What does free radicals do to you? And which sunscreen is more powerful in terms to prevent from tanning, Bioderma Photoderm spf 100 or La Roche Posay-Anthelios. I use Bioderma right now and along with Aveeno daily moisturizer spf 30 and Bareminerals makeup with spf 15. But how can you tell about the free radicals being produced. What happens. I thank God truly that through Him it has worked wonderfully for me.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:07 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |