Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Questions about Primers and "Bases"
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:24 am      Reply with quote
Okay ... now I'm very confused! Laughing

I see a lot of recommendations for Smashbox Primer ... but it's not available in my area of Ontario. Sad What's more ... I've been unable to find out a great deal about the ingredients in Smashbox stuff.

I take it that this primer is not made from minerals?

The only types of primers/bases that are available to me are Lise Watier and Red Earth ... and while Lise Watier does have some mineral stuff ... the primer doesn't seem to be.

I've never heard of Red Earth ... anyone used it?

At this point, I'm very skeptical about using anything but minerals on my face. My face is doing well with the CoverFX powder foundation ... but I would like to minimize the look of the open pores on my cheek area. The open pore area is one of the areas that are most likely to react to products ... and I don't want to compound the problem.

Primer seems to be the answer ... but I think I'd rather find a mineral sort.

Is this a pipe dream?

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Mary
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:54 am      Reply with quote
Smashbox primer is silicone based. I don't know of any mineral based primers (closest I can think of would be JI absense oil control powder).

Jurlique Lavender Silk Dust Powder is used by some as a primer for mineral foundations.
I haven't tried it myself, I'm happy using the smashbox primer with liquid foundations as well as mineral powder foundations.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Hpjrt

I don't use any liquid primers, but use this matte finish translucent powder by PureLuxe and it seems to be fine for my oily skin.

Regarding Red Earth--

Is Red Earth still open in Canada??

It is, or was, an Australian based cosmetics company. I thought they folded a year ago... were bought out by some big fat cat and decided to merge but obviously not.

I have used a lot of their cosmetics when I was younger, because they always did funky colours in fashionable packaging. But ingredients-wise, they are not the best thing out there. I can guarantee you it is not a mineral based primer, as they are mostly chemical or talc based cosmetics.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks miranets,

I have never heard of the product before ... but when I phoned the Shoppers Drug Mart in my area ... they said that they only had two "primers" ... one of which was Red Earth.

Now the "cosmetician" claimed that Red Earth was "very good" and had "superior ingredients" ... but I never believe drug store cosmeticians anyway! Laughing

Heck ... I went into a Esthetics store today and asked about Mineral Makeup and the Esthetician looked at me like I was from another country!

Thanks for the "inside scoop".

Mary
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:

I see a lot of recommendations for Smashbox Primer ... but it's not available in my area of Ontario. Sad What's more ... I've been unable to find out a great deal about the ingredients in Smashbox stuff.

The only types of primers/bases that are available to me are Lise Watier and Red Earth ... and while Lise Watier does have some mineral stuff ... the primer doesn't seem to be.

At this point, I'm very skeptical about using anything but minerals on my face. My face is doing well with the CoverFX powder foundation ... but I would like to minimize the look of the open pores on my cheek area. The open pore area is one of the areas that are most likely to react to products ... and I don't want to compound the problem.

Is this a pipe dream?

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Mary

Here's one that claims to be all minerals.

http://www.raesinimages.com/primers.htm
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:58 am      Reply with quote
Thanks TooInvolved,

I'll check this company out.

[I love your username! Laughing ]

Mary
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks. Smile
appledaily
5% products discount

Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:37 am      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:

Is this a pipe dream?

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Mary

Mary,

You can order the Smashbox Primer from the Shopping Channel ($44.00 S&H: Included):
http://www.theshoppingchannel.com
or Sephora ($44.00, free shipping for order > $120 CDN):
http://www.sephora.com
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:55 am      Reply with quote
It's not mineral based, but clarins beauty flash balm is a good primer. I'm kind of torn between that one and the smashbox at the mo. I quite like the smashbox, but I don't like the silicones in it, it gives my skin an intial unrealistic feel if ya know what I mean!

I also theink that the botanicals in the flash balm are helping my skin a bit.

just my 2 cents Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
I tried to post a reply a couple days ago but after I posted, there was an error message. I was going to retype the Smashbox primer ingredients haven't gotten a chance since now.

Here they are: cyclomethicone, dimethicone crosspolymer, isopropylparaben, retinyl palmitate, tocoperyl acetate, sunflower seed oil, grape seed oil, kolanut seed extract, propylene glycol, green tea extract, parabens, water

I ordered mine from the The Shopping Channel.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:08 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |