Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
couple of q's about vit. c
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ena
5% products discount

Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:23 am      Reply with quote
1) Will an amber/cobalt glass vial protect my vit c serum as well as say, a film canister, which is completely opaque?

2) How do you apply the serum? Some places say to pat it into the skin others to rub it in...

3) If you make your own, where do you store the L-ascorbic crystals once you've opened the protective seal? I read on another board that in the fridge is best, but doesn't cold erode the positive benefits of the vit c?

TIA Smile (and I must say, this is a great site...chalk full of really useful information!)
crazyskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ena Smile welcome!
I read in another forum that amber glass is better than cobalt because the latter lets in light of a certain wavelength. When you said film canister, did you mean the thick plastic kind? If so that would not be suitable IMO coz the plastic might react to the acidic serum. Try to get an amber bottle with a dropper, you want to limit exposure of the serum to air also.

I swipe Vit C serum on, then press it in gently with my fingers. I dunno if this is the best way, but rubbing might be irritating to my temperamental skin.

Sorry, can't comment on your last question coz I have yet to attempt making my own.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Ena,

I "smooth" my vitamin C serum on my face ... it's kind of a lighter form of "rubbing" I guess.

I keep my crystals in my bathroom. The protective seal is so you know no one has tampered with it ... not because it "seals in freshnes" ... at least that's my take on it. The "protective seals" all came about after a woman killed her husband by injecting poison into tylenol capsules. At first, it was thought that she'd purchased the Tylenol already poisoned ... and people panicked. It was later proved that she had done the poisoning herself ... even going so far as to put a couple of bottles with poisoned capsules back onto a drug store shelf!

However, therein lies the thinking behind the "protective seal" ... and why instructions say not to use if said seal is broken.

And it's heat that corrupts Vitamin C ... heat and light. Cold won't hurt it ... otherwise your orange juice would be devoid of Vitamin C.

However, ascorbic acid is very unstable ... particularly in the light ... and so you want to protect it from light sources, hence the amber glass.

Hope this helps

Mary
crazyskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
The "protective seals" all came about after a woman killed her husband by injecting poison into tylenol capsules.

Thanks for this hair-raising Shock
but very interesting tidbit Mary! I had no idea.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
I store all my mixtures in amber or cobalt glass bottles. I asked the stockist why they had stopped selling the amber ones, and apparently they are not as popular - it has this 'medicinal' feel to it. But she said it should be fine to use either brown or blue, and if you have something unstable and easily oxidised, then you should store it within a box or container out of sunlight as well.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
Oops! I guess I'm giving my age away! Laughing Exclamation

I actually remember the "panic" that resulted from this event quite well ... and then I have an enduring interest in "true crime" ... which I always claim stems from my first and disasterous marriage. I think I was looking for that one way that wasn't described! Laughing

At any rate ... it was quite a story. Laughing I actually think that someone else tried this method of ridding herself/himself of a unwanted family member ... but I don't recall the details. Regardless, the second perpetrator obviously didn't do the necessary follow up to discover whether or not the first woman got away with it. [She didn't]

Very Happy

Mary
ena
5% products discount

Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
thank for all your help! Smile

I've never used vit c before, so i was wondering how I should begin to use it. I was going to make Carekate's version for my face and then half that (6%) for the eye area. I'm a couple of months shy of 25... do you think 12% of too strong?

oh, and does vit c thin the skin in any way?

PS: eek to the tylenol story!!
sernx
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Unless your skin is super sensitive, 12% is fine

About the tylenol woman, did she injected poison into each and every single capsule? and did it to several bottles?? that's crazy
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
Re the Tylenol woman.

She injected a few capsules in each of three bottles [not all the capsules ... but one poisoned capsule had enough poison to kill someone ... I think] ... she used cyanide I think.

At any rate ... she kept one bottle ... put the other bottles back into their boxes ... wandered down to her local Drug Store and put them on the shelf with all the other Tylenol.

When Hubby died ... she claimed that all he'd had was a couple of the Tylenol. Cops took the Tylenol and tested it ... and they found a few of the capsules contained cyanide ... [or was it strychnine? Confused ].

So ... they issued an alert ... Tylenol's makers were dumbstruck ... the public went mad with panic ... people were throwing out their latest Tylenol purchases.

Then ... the two bottles showed up at the local Drug Store ... the public continued to speculate on a disgruntled Tylenol employee ... yada, yada, yada.

However, what the woman didn't take into account was that the drug store to which she planted the poisoned Tylenol bottles was not the store from when she'd purchased them.

Each lot of Tylenol has "lot numbers" ... and invoices to the drug store also had the lot numbers of the Tylenol shipments sent to them. The two bottles containing the poison had never been shipped to that particular drug store.

That's when the police turned their focus on the widow ... and it was planting those two bottles containing a few poisoned capsules that was her undoing.

So that's the whole story ... or at least a reasonable summary of what happened. Laughing

Mary
crazyskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
Ena, I was trying to find a link to the study that found amber is better than cobalt but I can't find it now, sorry. Anyways, miranets is spot on - putting the bottle in a thick cardboard box will do the trick. You can also wrap lighter colored bottles in dark construction paper and that will help too.

Miranets, I love the look of amber bottles. Very laboratory-ish. Somehow they make me believe whatever skin care stuff is in them would be potent, effective and supported by scientific evidence. As opposed to useless crap I have been duped into buying Laughing

Maria, the Tylenol story does not reveal you age as much as it proves I was once again not paying attention Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:06 am      Reply with quote
Crazyskin, I'm with you on the amber bottles. Since many labs and dentists still keep their volatiles in them.. THe image of brown and chemistry will always be with me.

Now they are all being replaced with fancy cobalt bottles because people like them more Mad

Ena - I have sort of sensitive skin, to particular products, but I found the Skinceuticals C 20% and CE Ferulic 15% to be no problem for me. I didn't feel any extra itching or tingling sensations.
ena
5% products discount

Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:25 am      Reply with quote
you guys are awesome!! I'm a little OCD when it comes to researching anything I put on my face and I've found that I really don't need to look anywhere else but this site, which is so great!

Anyhow, I had another question strike me as I was reading through the posts...

If I OCM (wash my face) once a day, in the evening, when would be the best time to apply the vit c? After I OCM?

In case it's of any relevance, here's my routine:

Morning: Splash face with water
tea tree oil (to help reduce oil production)
sunscreen
make up

Evening: OCM
tea tree oil
moisturize

Just trying to figure out when it'd be best to fit in the vit c...
crazyskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
Ena, we have similar products in our routine - I use the OCM too, but only at night to thoroughly remove my sunscreen/make-up. And I use ylang-ylang oil in the morning under suncreen to balance oil production.

I recommend that you use your Vit C in the morning to boost the power of your sunscreen. The photoprotective, antioxidant effect would be more critical during the day. I read that Vit C stays in for 24 hours and will not wash off/ rub out so you only need to apply once a day.

I don't know if you have been researching on makeupalley.com too but here's a link to Vit C info I found there -

http://makeupalley.com/user/notepad/StAmourOwl/

BTW its perfectly okay to get as much info on your products as possible. I wish I had started educating myself about these things sooner! Smile

5% products discount

Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
im so sorry, i feel like such a flake asking so many questions!

How stable is the Vit C as a powder? For instance, do i need to worry about storing it out of sunlight? the kind i got is packaged in an opaque white plastic container- do I need to take any more precautions?
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:26 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |