Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Decleor Orexcellence Energy Concentrate Youth Mask (50 ml) pH Advantage High Potency Effective Vitamin C Serum (51 ml / 1.75 floz) NuFace Gel Primer (5 fl oz / 148 ml)
Hormones...out of control?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Toronto_Belle
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:34 am      Reply with quote
I seem to be breaking out on and off...clear, happy skin for a few months, then a few months of disasterous, depressing skin. It drives me insane- it's difficult to deal with.

I keep hearing comments about hormones and their possible responsibility.

I just started using birthcontrol pills for the first time in years. I am sexually active but it's more for my skin,as I've heard that birthcontrol pills can help relieve the hormones that cause acne...

Help...does anyone know any details or of any articles about hormones and acne? Are there any vitamins, supplements, etc to take?

Toronto_Belle

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:38 am      Reply with quote
My curiousity got the best of me! Lol. I decided to google birthcontrol and acne and found this article- for anyone who is interested:

How does the birth-control pill work on acne? Increased oil production can be caused by the body's androgen (male hormone) production, which can be highest just before menstruation starts. It appears that low-dosage birth-control pills can decrease the presence of excess androgens, thereby decreasing breakouts. They work particularly well when used in conjunction with other therapies such as topical antibacterial agents or tretinoins (Source: Skin Therapy Letter, February 2001, pages 1–3). For a lot of women this is no surprise. Many have noticed an improvement in their skin after they started taking birth-control pills.

According to a double-blind, placebo-controlled study published in Fertility and Sterility (September 2001, pages 461–468), other "low-dose birth-control pills can be an effective and safe treatment for moderate acne." The double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trial found that the birth-control pill containing levonorgestrel (Alesse®) reduced the appearance of acne.

Low-dose oral contraceptives also result in a low occurrence of estrogen-related side effects like nausea, headaches, and breast tenderness, in addition to low, if any, weight gain (Source: Medscape press release, September 7, 2001).

Is taking birth-control pills to control acne right for you? There are risks associated with taking birth-control pills, and these should be taken into account before you make a final decision. These risks include increased chances of heart attack, strokes, blood clots, and breast cancer (and these are compounded if you smoke), not to mention possible side effects such as vaginal bleeding, fluid retention, melasma (dark-brown skin patches), and depression. All that may not be a worthwhile trade-off for clear skin. But if you are already using (or considering) the pill for birth control, this remedy may be worth looking into.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Toronto_Belle..... I too have break-outs and been to dermatologists who advise me to take birth control to balance out my hormones that cause acne. I've been prescibed Diane 35 which is a birth control pill that also helps with acne however it didnt help me because it just caused my acne to worsen and i gained weight from it due to water retention....so i went off Diane 35.
Then i took another Birth control pill called Allesse, that had the same side effects like Diane 35 so i stopped using that. Now im on Yasmin birth control, its just perfect for me. Helped me in controlling my acne and also doesnt make me gain any weight Smile
Every woman is different and one birth control pill that works for one person may not work for you. Trail and error is the only way in finding out which birth control pill best suits you. If the birth control pill your taking at the moment makes you break out more than usual then discontinue using it and try another brand. Best of luck!
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
BCgirl wrote:
Then i took another Birth control pill called Allesse, that had the same side effects like Diane 35 so i stopped using that. Now im on Yasmin birth control, its just perfect for me. Helped me in controlling my acne and also doesnt make me gain any weight Smile

This forum is so helpful! I had beautiful skin on Allesse, but it really affected my weight. In fact, it gave me cellulite, too - very rapidly! Shortly after going off Allesse, I was not quite as happy with my skin, but boy was I happier with the rest of my body. I'm going to ask my gyn. about Yasmin. It's amazing what you can learn here!
jewel lady
5% products discount

Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:37 pm      Reply with quote
I have the occasional breakouts, especially during that time of the month. I can offer 2 suggestions from my personal experience which may help. There's a supplement that you can purchase from the health food store called Vitex (chaste berry) which balances your hormones naturally, however it works slowly so you have to be patient. I believe that it should not be taken if you are pregnant. Ask for assistance from your local health food store.
The other suggestion is I use Retin A (tretinoin cream) which reduces my breakouts and actually minimizes my pores and fine lines. You have to get a prescription for it. It is normal to get redness, dryness and more breakouts while your system is getting used to the cream. I would suggest starting on the lowest dose, I believe it's 0.01%, but talk to your physician first. Hope this helps. Laughing
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:15 am      Reply with quote
I too am on the pill and have been since I was 17, I went on originally to clear my skin up, initially it worked but then my skin would flare like crazy.

The pill depletes vitamin B6 which is directly linked to regulating hormones. I take a high multi B vitamin (vitamin B6 will not work effectivly on its own, it must be part of a team), there are 100mg of B6 in the B complex I am taking.

I also take Zinc this stuff is fantastic, helps clear your skin and you will never not feel like sex ever again!!!! Embarassed , it also helps to regulate your weight. If you look at your nails, can you see any white spots, these are not calcium deficiency but a sign that you are lacking in Zinc.

Finally Vitamin A my HG, when I introduced this to my vitamin supplementation, the last of my acne just vannished overnight.
I buy my viatmins from Holland & Barrett and they are not expensive, the Vitamin A is around £4 and I the B100 Complex and Zinc are regularly on sale Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:08 am      Reply with quote
I too am taking Yasmin and have noticed a difference in my skin, it hasn't made it perfect but it has helped... And I got them specifically to regulate hormones and help my skin...

...great tips on vitamins Rosebud! I'm getting zinc on my way home Laughing
I just started taking vitamin c and I got some cod-liver oil as well... The cod oil is ABSOLUTELY disgusting and makes me want to throw up immediately...but it's full of goodness (A+D+E I think?)...I've tried taking it in capsules, but it comes back on me - and that is worse than the immediate unpleasantness of swallowing a spoonfull of it...

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:10 am      Reply with quote
I too can't stand cod liver oil, it repeats on me, the great thing about the Vitamin A is that it does not repeat on you.

Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:52 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Un-Wrinkle Turbo Line Smoothing Toning Lotion (200 ml / 6.7 floz) Amazing Cosmetics Line Smoother + Primer (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Glotion for Body (150 ml / 5 floz)