Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
SPF in Jane Iredale Liquid Minerals?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Mabsy

Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
I'm a little bit confused with this because I read on the JI website that the Liquid Minerals do not have SPF protection. But I was under the impression that ALL mineral makeup has SPF because it contains Titanium Dioxide. Mind you I'm just basing that on what I read in a magazine a while ago.

So, is the titanium dioxide in Bare Minerals an added ingredient on top of all the minerals or is it a feature of mineral makeup in general?

Mabsy.
ramsi
5% products discount

Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:25 am      Reply with quote
I thought I remembered I saw somewhere that this foundation had SPF. I haven't tried it yet (I'm a bit scared of by the price), but after all your reviews I had to check it our, right? Wink

Well, here's what I found:
"Jane Iredale decided not to give this product an SPF rating (the minerals provide an "unofficial" SPF of approximately 7) because they wanted to keep it as free of sensitizers as possible. Be sure to wear your sunblock daily!"

It's quoted from whosthefairest.com.
HTH
Mabsy

Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:18 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Ramsi!!

That's precisely the info I was looking for! I've tried the powder mineral make-up but I'm yet to try this one (I've read quite a few great reviews of it and I can't wait to get it but I can't pick the right shade on the net Sad). My mum has been instructed to try and pick the shade for me while she's in the USA, I doubt that she will find it though.... Stockists in Australia are taking their sweet time getting this on the shelves. Not happy!

Thanks for your help Smile
Mabsy.
iikkin
5% products discount

Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:32 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mabsy,
Mineral Make up basically is made from mica, titanium dioxide, zinc and iron oxides, and ultramarine pigments - the proportions just varies from one company to another and some with additional ingredients or lesser ingredients... depending they are foundation, eyeshadows or blushes. ie: Bare Escentials has Bismuth - it gives the glowy look Smile that some folks like or do not like.
Since the ingredients has high percentage of TD and Zinc it does have some factor of SPF.. but to get the certification .. cost $$ so some brands just do not have it stated black and white.

So I am guessing for JI's liquid, it does have SPF since they do use TD and Zinc in their product but maybe of a smaller % compared to their regular foundation - maybe added "liquids" and thus "diluting" the TD proportions. So it does have SPF but might be of a lower proportion.

Yes, you can tell that I am a mineral make up and skincare addict :P

HTH,
iikkin
Mabsy

Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Iikkin!

Thank you for the extra info, that really makes sense to me now. Especially the bit about the gel diluting the SPF factor.

Have you used the JI liquid minerals by any chance? Which mineral makeup do you usually use?

Mabsy
iikkin
5% products discount

Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mabsy,
I have not tried JI's foundation or the liquid foundation. I have their blushers and oil control press powder. It's nice but ok... really spendy too.

I started with Bare Escentuals and found other Mineral Make Up (mmu) brands along the way.

if you do a google on mineral make up you can find so many brands out there. Smile
I am using a liquid from Botany 101 and its powder foundation, so far, IMO it's the best, but b'cos it's a small co, the shipping times are not fantastic. Mainly, the owner hue her own micas. Most of the mmu companies but buy those already hued micas and make the mmu, but this co does their own.. so it's made by hand so it's slower.

The other brands that i will recomend is Colors of Paradise and Monave - both do not contain bismuth anf have wonderful color selections and fast shipping. For those who are allergic to TD, Cory cosmetics' mmu do not have TD.

HTH,
iikkin Smile
Mabsy

Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:00 am      Reply with quote
Wow! I never realised there were so many brands that do mineral makeup!

Thanks for the loads of info, I fully believe you when you say you're the MMU pro! Very Happy
Alexis52
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:03 am      Reply with quote
Wow, I am truly impressed with your knowledge of mineral makeup. The Botany site is wonderful and looks tempting. It looks like the Colors of Paradise site is out of order or something. I use Iredale pressed powders and have been looking for something else to try. Do you have dry or oily skin? I'm medium oily and the JI makes me look scary (cakey/dry) for the first hour or so. Then it looks fine. I know Botany is your fav, but why? Thanks, Cheryl
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:52 am      Reply with quote
I did a Google seach but could not find anything on Botany 101's website or sites that carry them. What was the link you went to?
Alexis52
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
Look atwww.botany101skincare.com ; it should work. I just couldn't find the colors of paradise site - seems they let their domain name expire or something. Let me know what you think about the Botany101 line. I am verrrrryyy tempted. Cheryl
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
I tried going to the botany 101 website again but to no avail. Has anyone tried La Bella Donna mineral makeup? If so how does it compare to J.I., B.E., or other MMU.
iikkin
5% products discount

Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Cheryl,
I have Combo/Oily skin which is acne prone. I am a BE1.2, CoPH Warmth 2, AL 2N and B101 Tanya and Leanna. I like B101 much better as it made my mmu look like real skin. When you look at infants, their face has some glow, it's not flat or matte, it has this creamy glowy look - non oily if you know what I mean... this is what B101 look like on my skin - even when I am oily. I am living in a very humid place and everything either melt off or sweat off. B101 stays on my face and even when I do get oily - I am looking good oily ... hard to explain... some other brands just either melt off or turn orange on me Sad

B101 is in the range of JI and better. B101 wins BE hands dwn - JMO and on my face Smile but the wait time is very long ... it's very hard when it's a one-woman show, and with hand hued mica it's really hard... so if you order B101... you have to wait up to a mth or more sometimes... but it's so worth it - that's all I can say Smile

till later,
iikkin

iikkin
5% products discount

Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
Website for colors of paradise
http://www.colors-of-paradise.com
Enable enable enable Wink

previously did not put link cos I wasn't sure if it's ok... so now, here it is.. if it's not ok, please feel free to remove the link. Thx
iikkin
iikkin
5% products discount

Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
thoughtcrime,
B101 website was down. The owner was putting up new stuff on the website... maybe you can try again Smile
-iikkin
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Iikkin, for the info. Colors of Paradise and Botany 101 are still down. Mad
But I did check out Monave's website and it looks awesome. Surprised
They have a great deal on samples and sooo many colors to choose from! Smile
They even have bulk minerals available to make your own makeup, I don't think I'm ready for that yet! But I will definitely check out their products after I try my B.E. samples I just ordered. BTW what brand do you recommend for loose minerals for the eyes?
Alexis52
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
I'm loving your knowledge about mmu! Just a few last questions before I order Botany. Do you use the "regular" formula or the "matte" oily skin formula? Do you use a brush or sponge to apply? I use JI Amber in the pressed which is much lighter than the loose. I need to find the equivalent, yellow tone in Botany. Thanks sooooo much for your input. Cheryl
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
iikkin, WOW you are right there are sooo many mmu's out there, it's overwhelming Surprised
I found a few others that look intriguing as well:
Youngblood (seems popular and has been mentioned in several magazines and spas plus nice sleek packaging!) and Aromaleigh (a one woman show who has the best prices because she doesn't spend money on fancy packaging or advertising, has informative website with price comparisons and donates some proceeds to animal charities!). Both are rated pretty well on MUA's forum. Any experiences with these anyone?
Mabsy

Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:45 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by thoughtcrime
iikkin, WOW you are right there are sooo many mmu's out there, it's overwhelming Surprised
Youngblood (seems popular and has been mentioned in several magazines and spas plus nice sleek packaging!) and Aromaleigh (a one woman show who has the best prices because she doesn't spend money on fancy packaging or advertising, has informative website with price comparisons and donates some proceeds to animal charities!). Both are rated pretty well on MUA's forum. Any experiences with these anyone?

I've tried Young Blood and I liked it. I only had samples (bought them from http://www.naturalhealthdirect.com.au/shop/cat51_1.htm) but for some reason I never repurchased. They do have an absolutely gorgeous blush called PlumBerry. I got a sample of that also and still have it. I use it on my eyes sometimes, haven't really used it on my cheeks 'coz:

Mabsy + loose powder blush = clown look-a-like Sad

At the time I tried Youngblood I also wanted to try Aromaleigh (based on MUA and alt.fashion reviews). But after a lot of searching I could not find any store that sold samples AND shipped to Australia.
iikkin
5% products discount

Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:44 am      Reply with quote
thoughtcrime,
I am not *ready* to go into making my owm mmu yet Wink
mmu for eyes? hehehehe I love Geographx, B101 and CoPH. I checked out CoPH & b101 website and both are working... try reloading the page.
Why? cos they are similar to BE's look without bismuth and last longer on me than BE.

These 3 companies are so generous with their samples that I am still using them and have not ordered full size except for some staples. For those who do not want the wait, try CoPH and Gfx ... both owners are really nice too Smile

http://www.colors-of-paradise.com
http://www.geografx-cosmetics.com

hehehehe have fun Smile
iikkin
iikkin
5% products discount

Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:22 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexis52
I'm loving your knowledge about mmu! Just a few last questions before I order Botany. Do you use the "regular" formula or the "matte" oily skin formula? Do you use a brush or sponge to apply? I use JI Amber in the pressed which is much lighter than the loose. I need to find the equivalent, yellow tone in Botany. Thanks sooooo much for your input. Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,
I use the stay matte version of B101 as I am an oily/combo skin. My latest method of application is use fingers for the stay-matte liquid and kabuki off with some shimmer powders - ie: Sugar cookie or Peach Queen. Prior to the stay-matte liquid, I use the powder version only and I conceal with a damp brush and paint on my zits or dark eye circles and follow by kabuki of powder and then shimmer powders. Very Happy

If you need yellow, check out the silk road range, I think light/medium color will be Jenny. Very light yellow = buttermilk (normal range) and medium yellow = Yunity... I think... look out for the link = silkroad there are other foundation colors there...
HTH,
iikkin

iikkin
5% products discount

Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:36 am      Reply with quote
quote:
---------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by thoughtcrime
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have not tried Youngblood, but I did use AL for a while. I switched from BE to AL, bismuth and my oily skin did not agree and it was too pink for me... and somehow I did not get a good match with BE. When I switched to AL, it was much better for my oily skin... it absorbed the oil,,, but cos it's matte, it made my face look flat.. I do like AL stuff, try their pure rouge and they have excellent shipping time.. the only *minus* is that they do not do international so I had to look for alternative mmu foundation and that's where I found B101. The difference is what I had stated earlier with the "glowly baby skin" with B101 that totally got me hooked... but the *minus* is the shipping times. IMO once you get the right match and getting a full-sized foundation... the rest is history, cos other mmu companies has alot of nice colors for playing too (IMO B101 is still the best) but once your "foundation" is right, the rest of the mmu compliments the face Smile

ok I am getting abit off topic here... :P If you are looking at fast shipping time, AL, CoPH, Monave, Cory, Geografx, they have wonderful stuff too... which one you may want to get? Well, everyone has different skin and different skin loves different stuff, so that's what samples are for... to get you totally hook LOL!

Finally, for those who read ingredients... loose powder is "better" than pressed cos there are no preservatives or additional ingredients added to make it pressed. So most of the mmu co are offered in loose powder. If the pressed version is agreeing with your skin... then stick to it... listen to your skin.
just my 2 cents Smile
Later,
iikkin
iikkin
5% products discount

Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:45 am      Reply with quote
Hi Masby,
I have a fellow mmu addict in Oz, she is in NSW Smile I am in Singapore. So we hear your pain on finding mmu at home. We both get stuff from US and we share our loot :P we both are totally different in colorings but we do share stuff now and then esp blushers. With mmu, they are so pigmented that very little goes a long way.. so u only need a few specks for blush... so the "clown" look (which i suspect) is too much blush.. try spritzing your face with some water and use a brush and swirl all over your face again... this way it will blend off the "redness" and if more "lightening" is needed, just dust more foundation and swirl swirl and swirl Smile

For international shipment = Gfx, Monave, B101, CoPH.. they does ship o/s and I do not have problem with them...
HTH,
iikkin
iikkin
5% products discount

Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:30 am      Reply with quote
Ok... full enable Smile
http://www.botany101skincare.com/NaturalSkincar/indexx.html

hopefully this link works.
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
Thank-you iikkin and mabsy for the informative responses! I know iikkin you like botany 101 the best Smile but Mabsy, what's your favorite brand of MMU and why? How does YB compare to BE and JI? Wink
Mabsy

Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
Iikkin - yeah you're right, the clown look is definitely because of too much blush on the brush. Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a go one day. It just seems like too much trouble at the moment so I just use normal blush Smile

Thoughtcrime - that's a rather tough question. At the moment I have BE (from the starter kit), Youngblood and JI (in the wrong color) and some Glominerals. I think it's much of a muchness really. BE is more glowy, that's true. If I HAD to pick the best one I'd probably go with the Glominerals. Mainly because I have the best match for my skin in that line. I would also go with pressed instead of loose because it's less messy and it's harder to get too much on your brush. I like the JI too but I don't have the right colour match so it's hard to really have an opinion on it (since I can't wear it out 'coz I'd look weird Smile).

My next MMU purchase however is still going to be the JI liquid minerals.

Mabsy.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:30 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |