Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Laser Hair Removal?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jewel lady
5% products discount

Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:25 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone ever tried laser hair removal on the bikini area. Is it painful and how many treatments does it usually take to remove all the hair? Pros or Cons?
Rolling Eyes
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:15 pm      Reply with quote
I've always wondered if it was bad for your bits down there if you got a full-on laser treatment...

Doesn't it cause burning and peeling effect afterwards anyway?? Shock
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:35 am      Reply with quote
While I've never had it done myself, my step-daughter is a laser hair removal technician with a medical clinic.

According to Jenna [my step-daughter] a lot depends upon the type of laser used and the expertise of the person doing the procedure. Smile [Which pretty much is true for everything!]

At any rate ... she says that it does hurt ... but is more effective than waxing and lasts longer ... and after several treatments might be permanent. She says that it's also much better than electrolysis.

Now, she hasn't mentioned anything about "bikini lines" specifically ... but I'm going to see her this morning and I'll ask her about that.

Mary
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:45 am      Reply with quote
I had it done, only one session though. So it wasn't permanent for me and that was a few years ago. It used to be that people with low contrast skin and hair (e.g. dark skin/dark hair or light skin/light hair) wouldn't get results that were as good as high contrast people. I'm not sure exactly where the light-dark divide is. Either way, I think the technology has improved since then. I see ads for laser hair removal that can be effective on any hair and skin types.

It did hurt a bit. The doc described it like rubber bands snapping against your skin. I guess that was about the feeling.

As far as the permanence, I'm leery. Some people say it is permanent. Others say it could be. Dunno. But I'm thinking about biting the bullet and having it done again... this time I'd have more than one session done.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:30 am      Reply with quote
Just got back from a visit with my step-daughter ... and she said:

1. Laser Hair Removal is most effective in the bikini line area. It takes fewer "treatments" for the removal to be permanent.

2. Laser hair removal still requires dark hair on light skin in order to work. She says it won't work on blonde or white hair on light skin ... but neither will it work for light hair on dark skin ... just dark hair on light skin.

So ... that's my report. Laughing

Mary
Lela
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hello!

I had laser hair removal done on my bikini area and underarms. It hurt like crazy! I was told to put on topical anesthetic before the laser - didn't help too much.

I had 4 or 5 treatments done on my bikini area and 5 or 6 done on my underarms (don't remember). My bikini area has not grown back at all but I do need more treatments on my underarms. My last treatment was around a year and a half ago but I did them regularly at the time.

My esthitician does laser hair removal now and she told me that it hardly hurts at all now - advancement in tech. (She didn't do mine - had mine done at a laser clinic)

Hope that helps! I should say that despite the pain, I am so very happy that I had it done!
jewel lady
5% products discount

Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:
Just got back from a visit with my step-daughter ... and she said:

1. Laser Hair Removal is most effective in the bikini line area. It takes fewer "treatments" for the removal to be permanent.

2. Laser hair removal still requires dark hair on light skin in order to work. She says it won't work on blonde or white hair on light skin ... but neither will it work for light hair on dark skin ... just dark hair on light skin.

So ... that's my report. Laughing

Mary

Hi Mary,
Thank you so much for speaking to the laser technician. I just wanted to make an informed decision about this procedure.
Thanks for clarifying the dark/light hair issue. Laughing
Jewel lady
jewel lady
5% products discount

Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
Lela wrote:
Hello!

I had laser hair removal done on my bikini area and underarms. It hurt like crazy! I was told to put on topical anesthetic before the laser - didn't help too much.

I had 4 or 5 treatments done on my bikini area and 5 or 6 done on my underarms (don't remember). My bikini area has not grown back at all but I do need more treatments on my underarms. My last treatment was around a year and a half ago but I did them regularly at the time.

My esthitician does laser hair removal now and she told me that it hardly hurts at all now - advancement in tech. (She didn't do mine - had mine done at a laser clinic)

Hope that helps! I should say that despite the pain, I am so very happy that I had it done!

Hi Lela,
Thank you so much for your brutal honesty. I did hear from someone who works in a laser clinic that it does hurt; however they first applied a local anesthetic to numb the area. I'm sure as you are well aware in your previous experience it still is painful. She mentioned that the average patient needs to have the treatment done 3 times consecutively.
It can't be any worse off than getting a brazilian bikini wax.
Thanks again for giving me the 411!
I may strike up the nerve to book an appointment.
Jewel lady
Sharon85

Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:23 am      Reply with quote
How about the face? Has anyone done it on their face?
Lela
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:28 am      Reply with quote
Hi Jewel lady:

Let me help boost your nerve...

I have been told that I have a very low threshold for pain. I do know other people who had laser done at the same time as me and they also found it painful - but not to the same extent I did! Sorry, I am not helping much here.

Important thing is - I do believe that the machines have gotten better since I did it (at least that is what my esthitician says) and that they do not hurt nearly as much. In fact, she says they hardly hurt at all now.

So I am encouraging you to book the appointment!!! As I said, I am so happy that I had it done.
jewel lady
5% products discount

Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
Lela wrote:
Hi Jewel lady:

Let me help boost your nerve...

I have been told that I have a very low threshold for pain. I do know other people who had laser done at the same time as me and they also found it painful - but not to the same extent I did! Sorry, I am not helping much here.

Important thing is - I do believe that the machines have gotten better since I did it (at least that is what my esthitician says) and that they do not hurt nearly as much. In fact, she says they hardly hurt at all now.

So I am encouraging you to book the appointment!!! As I said, I am so happy that I had it done.

Hi Lela,
Thanks for the encouragement. Very Happy I suppose if I can go through natural childbirth without any drugs whatsoever, than getting some laser treatments should be a walk in the park!!
I think I'll discuss with the hubbie and see if he'll foot the bill (instead of having to pay $40 bikini wax treatments every 5-6 weeks). Ha ha ha.... Laughing
Jewel lady
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone had lazer hair removal on their upper lip?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:19 am      Reply with quote
yeah, I have... not as painful as bikiniline Exclamation ...
The darker your hair is, and the paler your skin is - the better the results are. It's something to do with the amount of pigment in your hair...sort of like the pigment transfers the lazer light into the hairfollicle and weakens it drastically/may kill it off.

My upperliphair isn't very dark or very thick, so the treatment didn't really work that well there...but if you've got dark bristly hairs it should help with lazer or IPL.
I've had it done on my legs, 3 times, and I would say that approximately 1/3 of the hair was "killed off"...which is very pleasing Very Happy .
It's a pity it's so expensive to have it done... Sad

anyways, good luck!

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
cheri
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
About how much does it cost to get done? I was thinking about doing it also... And too.. I have a hair that grows out of my chin!! Just one hair! Confused I have plucked that one and it grows back after a week or two.. It seems not to be coming back as fast but I always wondered how much they would charge me to do 1 hair. LOL

cheri
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:18 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |