Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

black hair turns red?? someone help me understand!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
Okay..my hair is dyed black. I generally use a blue base with my hair dye...My hair is naturally a light blonde/red/brown..lots of colors but mostly brown. Anyway, Lately in different lighting i've noticed intense red highlighting beneath the black in my hair. Not sure its some kind of chemical reaction between the bases and my hair..I do know that my family tends have intense red undertones in our hair, particularly its brought out when putting ash in the hair. But i don't understand why I see these vibrant reds..very odd! Can someone explain this?

Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry, I have no idea but it sounds lovely!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
do you get the red some weeks after you have dyed your hair?

because something similar used to happen to me. i too have naturally lightish brown hair with a dash o' red. i dyed my hair blue black for years (am in the process of going natural - it is a saga), and at the start it would have that very satisfying blue look, but after a few weeks it would look red in the light. i think it is just the base of the dye coming through (even though it is meant to be blue)

last time i dyed it, the hairdresser convinced me to try green black. wasn't as good as it sounds.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
I havent dyed my hair in about a month and a half...its only where the black is that the red is visable. Somehow the base must have some reaction to the red undertones in my hair..who knows really

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:04 am      Reply with quote
i'm told that the impact on hair when you dye it black is similar to the impact of bleaching it blonde. that is why they are hard to maintain.

i use artec shampoo, which is a three step thing where you wash first with a kiwi shampoo, followed by a thick black pigment, then conditioner. it is meant to put colour back into your hair after washing. i'm still using the shampoo while growing out the black to minimise the contrast between my natural colour and the dyed bits. then, when it has grown out, i stop using the pigment, and the colour fades out naturally. the re-growth part of my hair isn't black, just darker brown. we'll see how it goes. it is very difficult to let go of the black, though.
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:54 am      Reply with quote
I think red is hard to colour, I dye mine black using henna & indigo, it also seems that red is one of the tones that turn grey first (on me) my hair used to be a rich auburn, now when I let the colour grow out it just looks flat. Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:56 am      Reply with quote
Everyones hair is made up of lots of different tones (including black, green (yes really!)and red!) You will have more of one than the other - it sounds like you have a lot of red undertones in your natural colour (some blondes have a lot of green!). Red is the hardest colour to get in or out! Its the last colour to lift when you bleach it which is why if you take the bleach off too early your hair looks orange! Black on the other hand lifts out first when you bleach it. (although red dye fades its notoriously hard to remove totally - ask any blonde whos tried a reddish tint on their hair thats supposed to wash out!!)
On the colour wheel green and blue neutralise red and vice versa but as the natural red in your hair is stronger once the black colour begins to lift, the red will still be there as you've masked/neutralised it rather than taken it away (rather like green makeup only maskes redness of the skin until its cleansed off).

The best way of keeping that blue black colour is to keep the blue/black topped up. Two excellent products for this are Aveda colour shampoo and conditioner - try either Blue Malva (it says for grey of ash blonde but thats because it counteracts the red/brassy tones) or Black Malva which is specifically for black hair to keep it blue black (there are other brands but Aveda has NO synthetic dyes that may mess about with the chemical colour when it gets re-coloured). It is temporary and cumalative - so it will gradually wash out or the colour intensity will build the more you use it.

Hope that helps (hairdresser/Beauty Therapist in my previous'life'! Very Happy )

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:52 am      Reply with quote
I can vouch for the blue malva. I've used it when I haven't had time to do a proper dye job. Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:39 am      Reply with quote
Yeah, it must be my undertones. I used to use eliminade then bleach my roots and dye them fuschia pink..eliminade (sp?) is good for lifting black out of hair without ruining it...and my roots would turn vibrant strawberry blonde. My brothers girlfriend at the time was very shocked because she was so used to the dark hair on me. Apparently something as strong as black still can't hide certain colors. One of you mentioned black being similar to dying blonde...but i would probably differ in opinion as going lighter would seem to ruin the hair more than going dark? I feel like my hair is healthier right after I dye it.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
It could simply be the black is fading, and for some reason the brand you use has added red to the mix. As the black fades, the red in the dye shows through.
It has hapenned to me when I used L'Oreal's black dyes (Feria, Preference, Excellence)but it stopped when a cosmetician talked me into Clairol.
Even if your black is a salon colour, there is no way of knowing how much (if any) red is added to their black shade-it is the colour technicians' style, taste, and what they think will make the perfect shade of black.
Hope that helps!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
Funny you mention l'oreal...thats the brand ive used (color onyx sheen)..I bought some wella black dye so i dont think ill have to deal with this again

Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |