Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
i.d. Bare Escentuals Magic Wand Brushless Mascara Review?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:18 pm      Reply with quote
Here's what the box says,
"With the wave of a magic wand, create the never-ending lashes you've only dreamed about, the revolutionary design of the i.d. Bare Escentuals Magic Wand Brushless Mascara allows you to individually coat each lash one at a time from every imaginable angel for fuller, longer-looking lashes. It also works magic when layered over your favorite mascara for added volume. The overall effect is like wearing false eyelashes." By Leslie Blodgett of Bare Escentuals.

Here are the instructions:
1. Position brushless head facing toward your lashes horizontally.
2. Apply to lashes in long, controlled strokes from base to tip.
3. Use wand tip vertically to coat inner and outer lashes and to separate lashes.
4. Use soft, slow strokes to coat lower lashes.

Suggested Tips:
Do not wiggle from side-to-side.
Gently blink into wand for application.
For added volume, wait one minute and reapply.

I've had this mascara for about 6 days now. See the photo for a completely different looking wand! For some reason I was expecting a different sort of applicator, like something pointier, almost like a liquid eyeliner felt tip applicator, that would give me some control! But, I'm getting ahead of myself here. The formula itself is inky black and shiny but that doesn't help me one bit because I just can't get the hang of applying it. Not yet anyway.

For reference, my lashes are average, not thick or thin nor long or really short. I curl before mascara because they are poker straight.

If I apply this mascara from base to tip, like the instructions say, I end up with spikes. If I use the wand vertically to coat anything it goes on in a blob.

The only way I can have any success is to blot the whole wand on paper towel and apply it only to the last 1/2 of my tips with the wand at a 70 degree angle to my lashes. I've been dying them so the bases are already dark and doing it this way I get some length, no thickness (to be fair, I don't believe BE claims this product will volumize but lengthen only). Actually, the first time I applied this way, I was pretty impressed with the length but haven't really been able to replicate the first time. Sad

I really don't see how you can get a whole lot of control with the wand, it's full of mascara and my lashes are over coated with one swipe. Using it vertically, or at an angle at least, give me more control but not enough to coat every single lash. I'm stumped and will update this review with my final results.

Sorry to not have definitive results but I am thinking there is some interest in this product and figured I should at least post a picture of the wand. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:13 am      Reply with quote
I have not used this mascara, although I am very interested in it, I did watch Leslie on QVC showing the application of this product, seems ur not suppose to apply it at all, your suppose to put it at ur lash line and blink...then blink more. So maybe if you try the blinking instead of actually applying it might work better!!! BEST OF LUCK
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Melissa, I did try blinking into it and my lashes ended up really spikey. I've just about given up.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:31 am      Reply with quote
Yikes..I never tried it because I kept thinking just blinking into a brush was not going to cut it, thanks for the info that it doesn't.
Melissa
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
I tried a rimmel product with a similar brush and it globbed on me like crazy, even when I whiped part of the mascara off first.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:30 am      Reply with quote
I thought you were tinting your lashes at home with the 1000 Hours kit, so I’m wondering why you’re still shopping for mascara...? I haven’t bought, or even been *tempted* to buy, any new mascaras since I began tinting them at home after cultivating the long, dense lashes of my dreams with the Ardell and Lucia. Although I do admit that I was one of the curious regarding the BE brushless mascara, I’m glad you decided to be the first guinea pig – Wink now I can scratch this item off of my “must buy/try” list!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
Lianne, was that mascara sort of with a little comb or a cylinder like this one?

Carrie, I went a couple weeks without mascara but I guess it's a hard habit to break. My lashes are so sparse and I like to play up my eyes. Really, even with tinting my lashes look like most women's do without anything (tint or mascara) on them, they are that sparse and light coloured. I only apply mascara to the ends now though, the bases are dark enough with tinting so I definitely use less mascara than ever before.

This morning I took some paper towel (the new Sponge Towels, they are less likely to leave particles or fluff behind) and I wiped the wand clean and the tip, then I did it again! The grooves had a wee bit of product in them, barely any at all. I managed to get long, nicely defined lashes this way. What a waste of product though.

I will continue to use it this way and update the thread after I've used it up or if I find a better way to use it. Rolling Eyes I would have tossed it by now if I hadn't paid $24 with shipping.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Also wanted to add, I'm not blinking into the wand just lightly swiping it along my lashes without wiggling.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
ohh...now that you mention it I think it did have a bit of a comb to it on one side.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
lianne wrote:
ohh...now that you mention it I think it did have a bit of a comb to it on one side.

I tried that one too! What a mess I made!! Laughing I couldn't get it to work at all.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:04 am      Reply with quote
I just make a mess of myself sometimes when I try new products!

Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:28 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |