Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Mineral makeup
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
Been using this about a month and I'm happy with how light they feel on skin but I'm wondering are they meant to look so powdery or is it just what I'm using(earthly essences brand)?
I'm still waiting on an order I made for a kabuki brush and flocked sponge so I'm wondering if the old(pretty crappy)brush I'm using is not helping blend it in properly?
Any thoughts anyone? Very Happy
lamicuz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
my first thought is, do you spritz over the mineral makeup with anything?

i've found that i am left with a powdery finish until i spritz over the powder with some hydrosol. jane iredale has a spray that is specifically for that purpose, or toner would work as well.

spritzing definitely cuts down the powdery look and leaves a dewy finish for me.

hth.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
No i havent tried that thanks,is just plain old water okay do you think? I think someone mentioned evian water once just forgot to try it.
We dont get jane iredale in australia,that i know of.
crazyskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:04 am      Reply with quote
Hi Carol Smile I've used Evian and Caudalie for the final spritzing step and they both worked well. Aside from this, MMU sits better on well-exfoliated skin. Also, the too-powdery finish could be due to too dry or too oily skin. If you use moisturizer before MMU let it sink in for a few minutes then blot the excess, this might also help. I would also experiment with using less MMU and blending more. Finally, the proper brush makes a big difference.

I know it sounds like a lot of hassle to go through but the natural look you get from MMU is worth it. Play with it and have fun! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:05 am      Reply with quote
Hi Carol,

I find that just after I finish applying my MMU it looks powdery ... but after a few minutes, it no longer looks that way.

I do, however, sometimes use a lavender hydrosol spritz to "set" things. This is usually when I am going out directly after applying my makeup. That way ... as soon as I leave the bathroom, it looks natural. Laughing

When I'm just going to be "hanging around" for a few minutes before leaving the house, I often don't bother with the spritz. Laughing

I got the lavender hydrosol from my local health food store ... and most health food stores carry something like "flower water" in various fragrances in spray bottles that would work for you.

If you were going to spritz plain old ordinary water ... which would certainly work ... I'd probably go for distilled ... just to be sure that you weren't adding anything negative to your face! Laughing I don't know what your house water might contain ... but over here in Canada there are places that add flouride to the water ... so if your water has anything added, you might want to opt for distilled.

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
I'm just curious as to spraying water on your face after applying makeup. Will that smear or smudge your makeup? Or is there a technique to do it? Thanks! Very Happy
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:44 am      Reply with quote
it's more like misting rather than a full on spray....

just like the fine droplets from hairspray(don't use hairspray) Laughing
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:00 am      Reply with quote
carolb69 wrote:
...so I'm wondering if the old(pretty crappy)brush I'm using is not helping blend it in properly?
Using a good makeup brush *is* very important to achieving proper application. I can’t remember who originally said this but truer words were never spoken: “You can achieve a more flawless face using cheap makeup and expensive tools/brushes than if you used the most expensive makeup and cheapest brushes.”

Once you receive your Kabuki brush and experience the difference, I think you’ll understand just exactly how true it us! And I also agree with the others about experimenting with using a water spritz to help set your makeup....

Good luck!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:16 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
“You can achieve a more flawless face using cheap makeup and expensive tools/brushes than if you used the most expensive makeup and cheapest brushes.”

I agree with this, completely and totally! I discovered the magic of good quality brushes in my late 20's and I wish I had known sooner. I throw out the applicators that come with cosmetics now. IMHO a good set of brushes is the *best* makeup investment you can make. And when you consider that they last sooo long with proper care its really not a huge investment. Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:29 am      Reply with quote
Hey everyone,

I wondered into Kamay yesterday to try on some shades of MMU and also different brands. Forget it, this sales associate was a Jane Iredale fan and wouldn't even let me venture over to the Glo Minerals and completely discounted it-geez Confused .

I did however have her put some of the Iredale MMU on me to test colors. I was shocked at how light most of the shades appeared on me and the fact that I always thought my neutral to cool toned skin needed a golden tone. What was disapointing about the pressed MMU was how darn dry I felt when I got out of there Sad ...I couldn't wait to get this stuff off once I got home. Also the sales associate 'who has been using this forever' wasn't impressing me with how the Iredale MMU looked on her face. She was around my age or older, seemed very professional and trained with Jane Iredale's company. Maybe it was the flourescent lighting,but she looked very caked and the makeup seemed to fall into her wrinkles. Do those of you who use it LOOK made up when you have it on?

I had some injections in my Nasolabial folds and it's healing and I really wanted to give the MMU a shot. I also have a wedding coming up quick (aahhhh, nervous and hoping I get everything done)and want a nice makeup for the photos. In my research the Glo liquid MMU seems pretty decent, I also came across Illuminare Fantastic Finish Foundation that seems okay (except for the glycerin)http://www.skinstore.com/store/product.asp?catID=4308&prodID=4317

Anyone else use the liquid MMU and what brands are you having great luck with?

Any and all advice appreciated Smile

Anita

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:34 am      Reply with quote
soccermominsd wrote:
Do those of you who use it LOOK made up when you have it on?
No!!!!!!!!!! God no, absolutely not!! The entire philosophy and concept behind mineral makeup is that you don’t appear to be wearing makeup at all, just that you’ve got incredibly perfect, flawless looking skin.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: just because someone is a trained sales representative with a cosmetic company, it doesn’t necessarily mean that one knows how to apply one’s makeup! How many times have you run screaming in terror from the scary-looking SA at the Lancome or Chanel counter who is beckoning to you, trying to talk you into letting her give you a free makeover, and she’s wearing enough makeup to look like Tammy Faye’s identical twin!

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t trust anyone but myself to apply my makeup so that it looks most natural and flattering. That means fooling around with the product and/or application technique until I find what works best for me. That usually means get samples to try before you commit to going whole-hog and buying full sizes of all the products.

Anita - try and get some samples of both loose and pressed mineral foundations to try at home before you decide that MMU isn’t for you. You can order samples of JI fromwww.skin-etc.com for $3 each plus a flat shipping fee of $5 and you’ll receive your order in about 2 days which should still give you a couple of days to try it out before your wedding day arrives.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:32 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:

Anita - try and get some samples of both loose and pressed mineral foundations to try at home before you decide that MMU isn’t for you. You can order samples of JI fromwww.skin-etc.com for $3 each plus a flat shipping fee of $5 and you’ll receive your order in about 2 days which should still give you a couple of days to try it out before your wedding day arrives.

I actually ordered some samples off of ebay-they were a dollar more, but free shipping. I bought the JI line, but they haven't come in yet. I'm going to go to the other Kamay in my area today and apply it myself darn it. And also test the liquid MMU whilst I'm there. I'll let you know what happens. I'm not giving up yet Smile
Anita

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:34 am      Reply with quote
Hi Anita,

I agree with Carekate. I wouldn't let a SA put makeup on me ... although I did let a SA put on two shades of CoverFX Pressed Powder Foundation for me to select the shade I liked the best. [By the way ... I had her put on the two shades ... and then I took her mirror outside into the sunshine to look at both before selecting the best shade.]

I will say, however, that if you already had makeup on ... and then put MMU on top ... I could see how that would end up making you feel dry etc.

When I went, I prepped my face [including moisturizer] and then went to the store. I'm no expert, but I think that MMU needs right next to the skin, otherwise its attributes are lost.

When I put on my MMU, [foundation, blush, finishing powder etc] it looks powdery for a moment or two ... but if I wait about 10 minutes, the moisture from my skin seems to "marry" with the MMU and it looks wonderfully natural and even "glowing".

Of course, if I'm impatient and just can't wait for it to achieve this naturally, I just give my face a spritz or two with lavender hydrosol to set it ... and I get the same flawless, natural look quicker.

Carekate is also correct in that it takes some practice before you get the hang of MMU. I've read several tutorials on applying this properly ... the best one IMHO being ...

http://www.livejournal.com/community/bareescentuals/21179.html?view=86203

I adapted the technique from the above tutorial to suit the brand of MMU I'm currently using. This tutorial can take a few minutes to load because it's a step-by-step explanations with pictures of each step ... but it's well worth studying carefully.

You'll see by the pictures how it looks ... and in photographs too ... [which should help you since you want to look great for the wedding photos!] ... and it was certainly very helpful to me.

So don't give up on MMU just yet. Laughing

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:50 am      Reply with quote
i have been using BE for some time now. and i still look powder'y ... IM HAVE SERIOUS ISSUES HERE. lol. i have done all of the above and still cant work it in right. it seems nothing i do is right anymore..
tidieu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:21 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mary,

Do you use the sponge that comes with the CoverFX Pressed Powder Foundation? If not, what brush do you use?

I tried CoverFX Pressed Powder Foundation but it looks powdery on me, not sure if it's because of the talc. Physicians formula Mineral Wear has no talc and does not look powdery but does not have much coverage. I wish the CoverFX Pressed Powder Foundation work for me.

Thanks.
Tidieu
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:59 am      Reply with quote
any powder foundation that i ever tried that had talc in it really made me look i stuck my face in the flour bin.

my MMU has zero talc in it(it's pure mineral pigments and a few herbal ingredients)and i have sometimes layered multiple times and have never had that "flour bin" face...

I also tried the CoverFX and i could not use it....in fact it's sitting in the bottom of a drawer at this moment gathering dust...i havn't gathered the strength to throw it away because it and the setting powder cost me CAD$85.00. Shock

I know i'm not going to use it....

i'm sticking to my Pure & Simple MMU. For me it's perfect

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
i just tried a sample of MY MINERALS... it seems ok. but the stupid sample came in a baggie !!!!!!!! try to get your brush in that. i just washed all my brushes which i havent done in a long time.. wonder if this could be one of my problems ?
Arrow lassie 1234
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
can you transer the sample to a small flat container with a lid and then dip your brush(flat top/chisel brush) and tap the excess back into the container?

Then you could apply a few very thin layers til you get the coverage and look that you want?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Tidieu,

While there is a talc that is in CoverFX Powder Foundation isn't the same "talc" that you'd find in most non-mineral powders ... it's not "talcum powder", which is generally a "low grade" form. It is a mineral talc and it's incredibly fine ... they call it "micronized" mineral talc.

So ... I'd say that it's application problems that are making it look powdery.

Have you been to the CoverFX site and read their tutorials? They are quite good.

I know initially I was putting too much on ... thinking that to cover a small area I had to put another entire layer of the foundation on. I didn't. Now I just "spot" layer when I need extra coverage in an area.

It really does take practise.

I have the Physician's Formula version ... which isn't a foundation, but a "pressed powder" ... hence the lack of coverage. But I find that it gives me a far more powdery look than the CoverFX.

Could it be that you got the wrong shade and it's too light for your skin? The SA thought that the lighter of the two shades I initially tried was right ... but when I went outside to look at it in sunlight, it was too light and I got the darker of the two which looks far more natural.

Also ... I never use the flocked sponge to apply my foundation. On the site [in the tips section] they indicate that the flocked sponge is for touch ups only ... if you're somewhere that your brushes aren't.

I have always used brushes to apply my makeup ... so I already had some really nice natural bristle brushes that I was used to using. I use synthetic bristle brushes when I want to pick up more powder.

The CoverFX brushes seemed expensive to me ... but then it's been a long time since I purchased my makeup brushes so perhaps it's just because years and years ago they were less expensive! Laughing

However, there are other good brushes out there. Many of my natural bristle brushes are pony hair ... some goat hair ... very soft.

I read somewhere that the Quo brushes from Shoppers Drug Mart are good ... but I don't know that from personal experience.

However, if you've been using the flocked sponge, then that could explain a "too much powder" look. I don't even use it for touch ups.

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mary,

Thanks for the tips. Just not sure which brush to get yet.
tidieu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Rosyface,

How do you select the right color for Pure & Simple MMU? It's difficult to select the right color from looking at the website.

I will give CoverFX another try with the brush as suggested by Mary. I like CoverFX because it's readily available at Shoppers. If it does not work out then I will try yours.

Thanks.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone and thanks for advice I asked for.I got my makeup brush and flocked sponge and it has helped with application,I'm finding I like using the sponge better and a light misting of water does seem to give it a more natural look.
I was wondering if anyone has tried mixing their mineral makeup with moisturiser? I tried it but it made the minerals suddenly looked lighter when mixed with moisturiser.[/i]
soccermominsd
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
I tried the glominerals last night. Applied it myself with sanitized brushes and found the two shades that looked pretty good. Spent $100+ on those two plus the concelar. All was well, I thought..till later that night I began getting small raised bumps on my cheeks and itching/burning. Dag nab it. I mean it was really uncomfortable and ugly. I prayed it would go away in the morning after I washed which it did Smile

I guess it's the Bismuth oxychloride from the research I've done...so I have to find one of the brands that does not contain that ingrediant in the next week. UHG!

Alas I'm deligent and hope to find one.

Anita

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:17 pm      Reply with quote
Anita -

Sorry about the bumpies with GloMinerals.

That was my problem too with the bismuth oxychloride. Bump city.

May I suggest a couple of companies you may want to try?

My suggestions would be Aromaleigh, Barefaced Minerals, and Mineral Boutique.

Three top notch mineral companies with awesome mineral makeup.

Terrific customer service, great samples, etc...no bismuth, hooray!

Maria Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Maria,
I just got through ordering samples from Barefaced...I hope I get the right tone down.

I actually wanted to go with Aromaleigh, but they are really behind right now from their recent promotion and I need the makeup for my wedding Smile on the 9th. So I may try it when I get back...

Thanks so much Very Happy
Anita

Mariav wrote:
Anita -

Sorry about the bumpies with GloMinerals.

That was my problem too with the bismuth oxychloride. Bump city.

May I suggest a couple of companies you may want to try?

My suggestions would be Aromaleigh, Barefaced Minerals, and Mineral Boutique.

Three top notch mineral companies with awesome mineral makeup.

Terrific customer service, great samples, etc...no bismuth, hooray!

Maria Laughing

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:07 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |