Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
chapped lips
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jamie630
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:12 am      Reply with quote
anyone know of good lip products for chapped lips? they're really dry and it's only going to get colder out, so i'd better start now.
CharlieBaby
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:31 am      Reply with quote
I love decleor's lip balm, also Dr. H's lip care products.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:23 am      Reply with quote
Dr Hauschka lipbalm is wonderful Very Happy

Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:47 am      Reply with quote
I have tried so many lip balms it's ridiculous, but the one that works best for me is Lorac's vitamin E stick. It's in a lipstick tube and glides on, no scent; I use it day and night, alone or under lipstick; I recommended it to two friends with the same problem, and both loved it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
my lips are always chapped too... i've tried very expensive lip balm to drugstore brands...
alot of more expensive lip balms worked really well but i found them not worth the price...

i've used dr. hauschka since forever... even before i knew about their skin care products... its a very good lip balm... but rather pricey...

and some drugstore brands works great! my fav. drugstore lipbalm is Carmex! its works like a charm for chapped lips...

during the winter months, i put on a thick layer of vaseline or mentholatum before i sleep and i brush off the stuff with my toothbrush in the morning... you'll have the softest lips, i keep applying my carmex throughout the day to keep it "chap-free"
freckles127
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
I have always had problems with this!! As a kid, it was so chapped I would just rip my dried skin off.. (wish I knew better) but I found Kiehls #1 Lip Balm to really remedy this problem. It's very emollient like Vaseline but has other ingredients that moisturize. Dr. H's lip pot is great but I use it up very quickly.. wish it came in a larger size!

At night, I use pure shea butter from L'Occitane.. very moisturizing. HTH

Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone, newbie alert Very Happy

I have always suffered from dry lips- i rarely wear lipstick and almost never lipgloss because i've never found one moisturising enough.

The best ones lipbalms i've tried have been:

Carmex- very strong smell but works!
Burts bees lip balm- smells of polo mints.
Blistex- lip revitalizer- contains aha's
Chapstick (medicated blue tube)slightly similar to the carmex one.
crazyskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
Trying out lip balms has turned into a hobby for me Laughing

From the drugstore brands:
Yay for Neutrogena Lip Moisturizer SPF15
Yay for Aveeno Positively Radiant Lip Enhancer
Nay for Chapstick and Blistex which made my lips even drier, bleh!

From the high end lines;
Yay for L'Occitane's shea butter lip stick
Still road testing Mor's Lip Delight in Limoncello

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:07 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
I have always had problems with this!! As a kid, it was so chapped I would just rip my dried skin off..

i too experienced this...still do. I think my lips are mostly scar tissue now due to peeling the dead skin off...i wish there was a permanent way to heal this but i think i'm stuck with permanent peeling lips...i also layer on the mentholatum and wipe off the dead skin in the am with a gentle wet washcloth...then my lips get progressively drier throughout the day and by bedtime, i've got a thick hard dry layer of skin that has to have Mentholatum to soften it...very bad for romance Sad ....i haven't found any remedy for it....if anyone has cured dry lips equally severe, please let me know how....

thanks

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
Hi!

I love, love, Burt's Bees Lip balm. I live in NY and my lips used to always be dry. But this is the best that I've found. Plus I like how it leaves my lips feeling a bit tingly. Laughing
And it's not a bad price, I find it at whole foods for about 2.50$ (american dollars)

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
It sounds weird but I use the cream that breastfeeding mothers to put on their sore nipples(Lanolin). It works wonders. My lips look healthy and red. No more chapped flaked lips. I've always used carmex and vaseline but this is much more better.
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:57 am      Reply with quote
thanks for the suggestions, i've tried Carmex but it did not really help. Also, unfortunately, i can't handle anything with lanolin in it...i can't even wear wool which has lanolin residue...i guess it's an allergy or something.

I've seen the Burt's Bees stuff around, i'll try some of that.

Thanks

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Just remember that no lip balm is going to be able to penetrate through all that dead, flaky skin (presuming your lips are extremely chapped) and it’s necessary to exfoliate and slough off the dead skin cells so that the moisturizers in your lip balm can penetrate the lip tissue and hydrate them from within. Otherwise, the lip balm just sits in the surface of your lips and merely moisturizes the dead skin!

There are several ways to exfoliate your lips:

1) Slather them with lip balm or vaseline and then lightly buff them with a soft-bristled toothbrush or a washcloth; or

2) Use my homemade lip scrub recipe in the “~~~ DIY Skincare Recipes ~~~” sticky thread in the Skincare and Makeup Forum; or

3) Buy a store-bought lip exfoliator like Benefit’s Dr. Feelgood Lipscription kit or Smashbox’s Lip Emulsion (my fave store-bought lip scrub).

Unless you remove that dead skin, even the priciest lip balm isn’t going to help improve the condition of your lips.

Also, if you have chronically dry, chapped lips, you might want to think about trying the infamous hyaluronic acid and collagen nutritional supplements as this helps hydrate and replenish moisture in your lip tissue from the inside-out. Rosy-face, I think this is the answer you’re looking for! You can PM me if you’d like more info about these supplements.

HTH,
Carrie

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:47 am      Reply with quote
Another vote for Burt's Bees lip balm...that and burt's bees lip shimmer (in nutmeg) are my lips' favorite!

rosyface, you're in for some fun if you get into the Burt's Bees stuff...there's a ton of different products to try!
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:49 am      Reply with quote
sounds fun, i can't wait.... Dancing

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
you can use carmex or bliex. They are cheap and good
Geminiwoman
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't found much success w/most chapstick products, or blistex or carmex. (Not dissing any of you that have...guess not all things work for everyone). One chapstick product that worked for me was in a really light green tube, think it had aloe or something in it...but I can't find it anymore!

I have had great success with Aveda's lip balm, a product called "Aloe Lips" from by Forever Living Products (think you have to buy this from a distributor though...a friend of mine was selling it). It has Jojoba in it...and I use it when my face is chapped too...fantastic stuff! They are out of Scottsdale, AZ...website is www.foreverliving.com

I've also used the Bath and Body Shea butter line on my hands, feet etc... and put those products on my lips too, and they were pretty good...especially in the winter. Good luck!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2007 9:33 pm      Reply with quote
Forgot one thing... another good way to exfoliate your lips is to just rub a toothbrush gently over them...flakes off the dry skin nicely.

Wed May 23, 2007 2:54 am      Reply with quote
I usually use lip balm when my lips are dry and I prefer the apple flavor.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2007 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
-Burts Bees Lip Balm or Lip Shimmer (Nutmeg is my favourite)
-Alba Botanica
-Morgen Schick Supple Balm
-L'Occitane Shea Butter Lip Balm Stick
-L'Occitane Shea Butter (also doubles as cuticle cream)
-Blistex Lip Medex

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2007 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
I like Dr. Hauschka lip balm on my lips when they're seriously dried out or chapped. To seal in moisture before going out in winter weather I like Weleda Everon.
Ch79
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2007 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
I have yet to find my absolute, perfect, every day lip balm.

But in terms of curing chapped lips, I can't rave enough about Dr. Dan's CortiBalm. This is what many dermatologists recommend to their Accutane patients, who battle extremely dry skin and lips.

This is not a regular lip balm. It has hydrocortisone in it to heal the dry skin. Therefore, you are really only supposed to use it as a treatment. It works quickly. Perhaps 3 days to cure the chapped problem. After that, you're really supposed to cut back and only use it from time to time, using a regular chapstick (which, again, I haven't found the ideal one yet) for the rest of the time. My dermatologist recommends plain old Aquaphor for the rest of the time, but I just can't get past the feel of it on my lips. And I really prefer my chapstick in a tube.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2007 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
My latest fav is Burt Bees Beeswax Lip Balm (in the stick). LOVE this stuff! It is very soft and moisturizing and gives your lips a little tingle with a bit of peppermint.
puregdstuf
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2007 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
i like Natio's. It has spf too and does last for about 3 hrs.
shanno
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2007 4:27 am      Reply with quote
Moonstarr, have you tried Dr. Bronner's peppermint lip balm? I tried it recently when my local store was out of the Burt's stick and LOVED it. It's tingly, like Burt's, but a little softer/shinier. (In fact, I use it with lip liner pencil, and it looks like a gloss.)
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:00 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |