Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
emulsifier!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
aprilha
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
hi.
i am thinking of using an emulsifier for my ACV toner (to dissolve the ylang ylang oil in water)

i have lecithin gel caps at home... and i know that its an anti-oxidant AND and emulsifier...

but do you guys know exactly how to use it?
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:11 am      Reply with quote
aprilha wrote:
hi.
i am thinking of using an emulsifier for my ACV toner (to dissolve the ylang ylang oil in water)

i have lecithin gel caps at home... and i know that its an anti-oxidant AND and emulsifier...

but do you guys know exactly how to use it?
You might send a PM to Darren (pbsadhaka) – he’s our resident “chemist” and could probably advise you.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:36 am      Reply with quote
Hi aprilha,

Darren is great ... and very helpful!

However, should that not work out for you ... here's a tip.

For some reason, the last time I made my ACV toner, I added about a tsp of witch hazel to it. My witch hazel doesn't have alcohol ... but it does aloe vera in it.

Well ... I added the witch hazel and immediately the mixture turned white. I shook it a bit ... and since then ... everything has been emulsified.

I believe that the aloe vera is a mild emulsifier ... either that or the witch hazel itself ... or perhaps it's the combination that works.

Just my observation.

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:01 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mary,

What is the brand of your witch hazel? Did you get it from a health food store? I am trying to find one without alcohol.

Thanks.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:19 am      Reply with quote
Hi Tidieu,

It's Thayers ... and it's called "Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel Toner with Aloe Vera"

I'm in Canada ... and it was pretty pricey ... $11.99 for the bottle ... but I did find it in health food stores ... several local ones carry it.

Good luck

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:56 am      Reply with quote
hi mary,

u mean the witch hazel emulsified the essential oil in the toner?

if this is the case... i think i need to get my hands on some witch hazel!!

thanks

april
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hi aprilha,

I don't know if it was the witch hazel or the aloe vera ... but something emulsified the toner! Laughing

As soon as I added the witch hazel the entire mixture turned white-ish ... and when I shook it ... the essential oils blended in with the rest.

That was over a week ago and I've yet to find essential oil either floating on the top or down at the bottom ... which certainly suggests emulsification to me.

Remember that aloe vera is one of those odd gels that has properties kin to both water and oil ... and could well be a very mild emulsifier in terms of combining essential oils and "water".

Not all "emulsifiers" are equal. Some thicken like corn starch and xanthan gum ... and others simply help combine oils and waters.

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:23 am      Reply with quote
I got some emulsifier from the chemist in the essential oil section.It is specifically for dissolving essential oils in water Very Happy
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:17 am      Reply with quote
Hi Carol,

Can you tell us exactly what this emulsifier is called?

Thanks

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:23 am      Reply with quote
It was the sunspirit brand and it just has aromatherapy solubalizer on the bottle.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:58 am      Reply with quote
Okay, even though I said I was more or less ignoring the criticism and controversy regarding my ACV toner recipe over on MUA and here by “Blue Butterfly,” but I’ve actually been thinking about what she said about needing an emulsifier in my toner so the essential oils would blend with the distilled water/tea.

Now maybe I’m being deliberately obtuse, but the whole reason I decided to add the essential oils (specifically Ylang Ylang and Lemon) was because they are known to help regulate sebum production (i.e.: Decleor Aromessence Y-Y oil or homemade version). It is my understanding that these oils should stay on the surface of my skin in order to do their job. If they emulsified in the water/tea, wouldn’t that mean that the oils would evaporate once the toner dried on my skin?

See, even dedicated DIYers have moments of self-doubt! Confused

Also, has anyone come up with a recipe for a homemade Vit-C + Vit-E serum and – if so – would you mind sharing?

TIA,
Carrie

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:18 am      Reply with quote
Hi Carrie,

Like you, I'm in search of a C + E serum ... but so far I haven't found one.

I did just receive my copy of The Biochemistry of Beauty ... and when I manage to actually understand what Carol Demas is saying about making serums, I'm hoping that I'll find the secret to this combination. Laughing

In the meantime, I use my Vitamin C serum [yours, thank you very much] and apply Vitamin E after it ... in the hopes that beneath the skin the two will blend and I'll get an increased benefit from the Vitamin C. Laughing

I suspect that some sort of emulsifier is necessary to blend E and C ... because E is oil soluable and C is water soluable. But frankly emulsifiers scare me a little since I think they are largely to blame for my skin's intolerance to some products. Confused

Even if I could produce an effective Vitamin E serum that I could apply on top of the Vitamin C serum would make me happy. Wink

I'll keep you posted. Carol does include what she calls a Physiological Antioxidant Serum in her recipe section ... and that may just be the ticket!

Mary

Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:35 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |