Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Eyelash Curler
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
hungrypeanut
5% products discount

Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
This is kinda off the subject of skincare, but I"m so sick of not being able to get my short, super straight Asian lashes curled!!! Can anyone recommend a really, really good eyelash curler - especially for Asian lashes? Thanx!
Mabsy

Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, I have two; a Shiseido one and a Shu Uemura one. In all honesty I think I prefer the Shiseido one even though the Shu seems to have an almost cult following for some reason.... They are both very good though.

Reading reviews on the net, both seem to be good for Asian lashes though the Shiseido one seems to be the more popular one.

HTH
chunlisa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:30 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there,

Mabsy, we really ARE twins -- minty-twins and now eye-lash-curler twins! I have several friends in Japan who send me Shiseido eye lash curlers. I don't know why they work so much better than other lash curlers, but they DO! Try them -- they're really awesome. I think it might have to do with the insert (the plastic / rubber part that actually touches your lashes). I have relatively short Asian lashes myself and the Shiseido eye lash curlers are AWESOME.

Lisa
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
H.P., I don't use lash curlers, but you could try a curling mascara. Prescriptives has a good one; I didn't like Clarins or drugstore brand Jane owned by Estee Lauder. My lashes are not really short but they are super straight and I was able to use it without an eyelash curler. Wink Actually the B.E. one I'm using has worked well without an eyelash curler too, but that doesn't have curl formula.
Mabsy

Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:04 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by chunlisa
Hi there,

Mabsy, we really ARE twins -- minty-twins and now eye-lash-curler twins! I have several friends in Japan who send me Shiseido eye lash curlers. I don't know why they work so much better than other lash curlers, but they DO! Try them -- they're really awesome. I think it might have to do with the insert (the plastic / rubber part that actually touches your lashes). I have relatively short Asian lashes myself and the Shiseido eye lash curlers are AWESOME.

Lisa

Wow! Very cool! Have you tried the Shu one at all? If so, which do you think is better? And, do you warm up your eyelash curler before you use it?

Off the eyelash curler topic (sorry hungrypeanut; love your username by the way Smile) and back to a minty topic, have you tried Noxzema? I can't remember if I asked you that before...

Mabsy
iikkin
5% products discount

Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:37 am      Reply with quote
ok, I am wayyy to lazy to curl or use the hair dryer method... so I got them permed :P

to-die-for mascaras = helena rubinstein's spectacular and lancome's flextencils these two are my current raves and the other one is Maybelline's Full N Soft... this is the best drugstore brand Smile
I was on a Drugstore/High-end mascara research couple of mths ago and we had a huge thread on another forum. LOL! Very Happy
chunlisa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mabsy --

I used to use Noxzema when I was really young but I remember disliking the smell and it wasn't that minty to me. BUT that was many years ago so perhaps they've done something new with the formula. I must say, though . . . my dad was in my bathroom brushing his teeth one night and he opened the Noxzema jar and scooped up some product on his toothbrush -- THINKING IT WAS TOOTHPASTE. My brother and I couldn't stop laughing for hours . . . cuz the look on my dad's face of sheer confusion "why does this toothpaste taste so bad!?" was spectacular.
Anyway, that was besides the point but I didn't really like the product back then -- likey because it didn't do much for my skin. But perhaps I should try it again sometime just to see if my skin has changed.
As for mascaras -- I live by Lancome's Definicils in navy blue. Navy blue mascara (doesn't look bluish really) helps with "raccoon eyes" (you don't see the dark circles under your eyes) and . . . I just like being "different." Black mascara ALWAYS (no matter if it's sweat proof, water proof, etc.) gives me raccoon eyes -- so navy blue mascara is essentialy "Lisa-proof" hee hee hee. Lancome's flextencils are also awesome -- but since I use an eyebrow curler, I don't really need all the "curling action" from products. Lancome definitely has great mascara, though.

thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:06 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:

ok, I am wayyy to lazy to curl or use the hair dryer method... so I got them permed :P

iikkin, I've never heard of perming your lashes can you explain? Surprised
Mabsy

Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
Iikkin - how did your perm turn out? I've been tempted but I've heard some horror stories about lashes looking crimped or being over-curled. I guess it's important to go to someone who does this procedure fairly often. Also, is this the first time you got it done? If not, then do you see any changes in the 'health' of your eyelashes? Like more lashes falling out, that sort of stuff?

Lisa - I don't think the formulation of Noxzema has changed. I asked because I just wanted to know your opinion of it. It's not available in Aus but I read about it online. So, of course, this was the FIRST thing that I bought at the shops when I was in the US last year. I was expecting it to be very minty but was rather disappointed with it. It SMELLS like it should be very minty but it didn't feel very minty on my skin. I only remembered about it last night because it got culled in the bathroom cleanup Smile Also, I agree with you on the Flextencils. I have mine in Prune (I think it's been discontinued; figures!) and like you I prefer non-black mascaras. Haven't tried blue though, thanks for the tip Wink

Mabsy
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:41 am      Reply with quote
Hello Iikkin !

Can you please give us some info on how your eye lash perming turned out? Any tips? I wear contact lenses, have super straight downward growing lashes that are quite fragile....also no falling out as a result of perming?

Thanks if you could enlighten me as I'd love to look into getting this done, I know it only lasts for a couple of weeks but is it worth it?

Summertimegirl xVery Happy
DebbieN.
5% products discount

Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hi girls. I've never used an eyelash curler. I just use my finger and thumb to do it. Yes, I know, very weird but I never pinch my eyelid - yet, anyway.Smile
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:44 am      Reply with quote
Hello DebbieN,

I think you and Mabsy are so lucky to be blessed with Pre-Curled eye lashes that you can just curl by applying a bit of pressure and warmth with your finger and thumb ! Not fair !!Mad:P The rest of us have dead straight, downward growing eye lashes that need primping and tonging most days !

I received my Shiseido Eye Lash curler from an ebay seller this week, a long awaited tool that I've wanted to get since Babyfish's post a while back. I can't live without my eye lash curlers !! Originally, I only set out to buy the Shiseido mini eye Lash curler but remembered this very thread that the standard Shiseido curler worked better than the Shu-- thanks to Mabsy and Lisa's reviews !! Well the Shiseido Eye Lash curler has my vote hands down, it totally out-performs the Shu. When I compare the two, the Shiseido curve fits inside the Shu's so it's a tad smaller in curvature, fits so snugly into the eye socket and does not pinch at all. I agree with Lisa with the inserts as well, it's designed for comfort.

As for the Mini... well it's a novelty, it's better used on the corner lashes before the normal curler, otherwise you can't really tell the difference. It's a little bit fidgetty as it's straight and so tiny, and cannot be used in moving vehicles... I know that now but glad I now have these girlie tools to play with:P

Summertimegirl xVery Happy
Mabsy

Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:26 am      Reply with quote
Hey Summertimegirl,

Glad that the Shiseido curler suits the shape of your eyes. Mine has been feeling a little neglected lately. Both the Shu and the Shiseido have been in the drawer as I experiment with my heated curler. So far so good (well mostly - there are a few things about it that bug me) but at least my eyelashes are not falling out yet :P

Btw, do you warm up your curler before using it?

Mabsy
DebbieN.
5% products discount

Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:12 am      Reply with quote
Hey SummerTimeGirl!!

Actually, I have used an eyelash curler but pinched the heck out of my eyelashes, my eyes must have watered for hours. I had dried mascara on the curler and when I curled my lashes, it stuck to me. Oh my goodness, the pain.

But what beautiful lashes you must have also, I'm sure they look sooo long when they are straight. Smile
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Mabsy

(well mostly - there are a few things about it that bug me) but at least my eyelashes are not falling out yet :P

Btw, do you warm up your curler before using it?

Hey Mabsy,

I'm glad that you're liking the heated curler by ModelCo but what is it that bugs you about the product ? I know you've said that it re-curls your lashes well when you need to touch up to go out after work (something that you can't do with a normal curler).

Yeah I do warm up my eye lash curler before I use it on my eyelashes-- I blow my hair dryer on the curler (holding it half an arm's length away) so it's just warm enough, this just gives more Oomph ! to the curl. Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by DebbieN.

Actually, I have used an eyelash curler but pinched the heck out of my eyelashes, my eyes must have watered for hours. I had dried mascara on the curler and when I curled my lashes, it stuck to me. Oh my goodness, the pain.

But what beautiful lashes you must have also, I'm sure they look sooo long when they are straight. Smile

Hey DebbieN !

I hope you didn't remove any eye lashes in the process !SurprisedSurprised It's best not to curl lashes when you've got mascara on as the mascara will adhere to the rubber insert in the drying process and you risk tearing out your lashes when you remove the curler. I've done that before too. MadSad

I wish I was born with lush lashes, they only look long when I curl them and ply with two coats of the Lancome Flextensils....I secretly want my boyfriend's set of lashes but he won't swap them for mine, Sad and he pulls his' out when they so much as annoy him so he treats his' quite roughly.

Summertimegirl xWink
cuties
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
Now I'm wondering what the difference is between Shu and Shiseido. Anyone that has used both can do a comparison? I use Shu but always looking for something better. I have long lashes and love the look when I use the curler.
angela
5% products discount

Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:26 am      Reply with quote
Shiseido eye lash curlers come in 3 sizes to suit lashes in different lengths. It is very popular in Hong Kong here too.

Some ladies mentioned eye lashes perming and I have some experience of that. I had mine permed twice. They used a tiny mini versions of hair rollers to roll up your eye lashes just like the way you roll your hair before bed time. Then apply a few drops of perming cream onto your lashes and let it set for about 20 min. You will then get curly eye lashes without curling it yourself every morning for up to 3 months. A warning not to perm it too often as the ingredients of the perm cream might be harmful to your lashes and some might be afraid that it might cause lashes fall. The price of the perm is pretty economical here, it costs about HKD 100. That is about CDN 18.
Mabsy

Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:55 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by summertimegirl
I'm glad that you're liking the heated curler by ModelCo but what is it that bugs you about the product ?

Hey Summertimegirl,

Sorry for the late reply, I've been sick and rather stressed at the same time (deadlines plus job interview) so I haven't had much time to get online lately. The one thing that really bugs me about the heated curler is that I didn't buy shares in Energiser or Duracell or some other battery company.... Grrr! This tiny little stick-like curler goes through batteries like there's no tomorrow! Still good to have though for touch-ups, probably not for everyday use.

Mabsy
Mabsy

Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:58 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by cuties
Now I'm wondering what the difference is between Shu and Shiseido. Anyone that has used both can do a comparison?

Hey Cuties,

Yes I have both, but to be honest I can't tell much of a difference. It's a bit hard to compare them though, because of all the moving elements you can't just perfectly allign and compare them. I still find that the Shiseido works better though, not sure why...

Mabsy.
cuties
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:32 am      Reply with quote
dh

Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:46 am      Reply with quote
Are the Shiseido and Shu curlers both the 'old fashioned metal version' as opposed to some cute little plastic thing (which might not work)?

Also, as to curling mascaras... I dunno, maybe it's just me, but when I tried on some of Clinique's mascaras my lashes curled right up... and those WEREN'T Clinique's curling mascara variety! Right now though because I'm hugely picky about how mascara feels and whether it looks natural and whether if it looks natural it looks full enough, I'm trying the Bourjois lengthening version of their mascara. I also find I like a brown or brown/black. I have dark brown hair but very light skin and black just looks artificial and harsh on me, although my lashes are naturally black anyway. Go figure.
Mabsy

Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:03 am      Reply with quote
Dh,

That's right, both the Shu and the Shiseido are the traditional metal curlers. I also have a heated one that works very well. Overall the two types, in my case at least, produce different results. If I want beautifully curled lashes then I go for the Shu or the Shiseido (mainly Shiseido) but for everyday use I reach for the heated one. The heated one lifts up the lashes and opens up the eyes as opposed to creating an actual curl.

I think you might be one of the lucky people whose eyelashes curl quite easily. I'm jealous! About mascara colours, I also tend to use colours other than black. Especially purple Very Happy Purple is said to look fab with brown or green eyes and I agree. It gives me a much better look than a harsh black would. I found the Clarins curling mascara to be one of the best so far (not just in terms of curling but also in terms of the purple colour showing through).

Mabsy.
cuties
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:58 am      Reply with quote
I love the new Clinique High Impact mascara and they had a color called Sapphire. It's a very subtle blue, not at all bright like a royal blue or anything. I love this new mascara but unfortunately the shade was limited edition and is sold out everywhere, even on clinique.com. Now I'm on a search for a new mascara I will love that has the perfect shade of blue. I do still adore High Impact and will continue to use in black.
Sashayy

Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:42 am      Reply with quote
I have naturally curly hair so I don't ever use a curler or else I'd end up looking like Tammy Faye Baker seriously!

But I follow a lot of the makeup press and it's my understanding that the old-style plastic mac curler with the curling pads was the best. I think you can still buy it on eBay brand new or look at the Tweezerman model it is very similar.
Mabsy

Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:25 am      Reply with quote
Hey Sashayy,

I haven't actually seen the MAC one yet but I have tried the Tweezerman one. Perhaps my expectations of Tweezerman are too high nowadays (I've tried so many of their tools and loved them!) but the plastic curler didn't do much for me. I didn't actually buy one but I tried my friend's. I think it all just depends on the shape of your eye and how 'well behaved' your eye lashes are.

Mabsy
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:57 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |