Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Mineral Makeup- does BE make u look too shiny?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
hayleighs_mom
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:23 am      Reply with quote
Hey Everyone,

I have not decided on the brand of mineral makeup that is right for me yet. I was gonna go ahead and make the BE purchase but then I went to one of their boutiques and the makeup artists there looked like their makeup was caked on. Also, I saw how the customers looked after the makeover and I was not impressed. They looked kinda shiny and caked on. Although I need at least medium coverage I don't want to look caked on or shiny. Oh, I also watched one of BE's informercials and their candidates looked rather shiny.

I thought mineral makeup is supposed to look more natural! So, I ordered Aromaleigh's samples and am anxiously waiting for them. I hope they don't make me look shiny.

Any die hard BE fans like to tell me otherwise? I would like to hear different opinions about this. A part of me is wanting to buy BE b/c of their great intro set (with the brushes and all). Wink

TIA,
Anna

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:43 am      Reply with quote
Hi Anna,

I too experienced the shininess that came along with BE. Like you, I ordered & am awaiting my samples from Aromaleigh. Can't wait to try that line!

I went to a store yesterday that sold Jane Iredale and tried her pressed minerals on my hand & didn't notice that it was shiny, but I did it on a small area, so I'm not sure how true of a representation that was. (I didn't try it on my face because I knew my Aromaleigh samples were on their way.)

Hope you get some other people who are more experienced with MMU than I am and I hope you find what works for you! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:18 am      Reply with quote
I too experienced the shiny look with Bare Escentuals and it always looked caked on. I tried it with the Jane Iredale Handi brush but came to the conclusion that it is just not for me.
Aromaleigh does get very good reviews, I think you have made a good choice and I would love to see how you get on with the samples Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:33 am      Reply with quote
I like the shiny/dewy finish of BE, it makes my dry skin look fresh. Very Happy But I seem to be in the minority here....

Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:50 am      Reply with quote
I find that BE gives a sort of "pearly" finish, unless you then follow that up with the mineral veil. I love my JI pressed base - it's matte, it's easy to apply, and it looks totally natural.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:08 am      Reply with quote
I recently bought a starter set of BE Mineral makeup .... had Light and Fairly Light, Warm and Mineral Veil and an instruction video, an MD Formulations cleanser and 3 great brushes all in a lovely box. ( was rather expensive here in Australia at $199! I think I like the brushes best out of all. Surprised
The Light was too dark... the Fairly light is 'ok" in tone for me, mineral veil great! I am oily/combo and I have to say I did find the actual foundation powders too shiny from the outset and the Mineral veil didnt dampen down the "shine" for me personally... but I like it with normal liquid foundations as a loose setting powder. Neutral
I didnt expect it to be as "frosty looking" as it was .... it's not a greasy shine but like a frosted eyeshadow ( the mica) ... that sort of pearlised sheen. It casts a bit of a grey look to my complexion, which I wasn't too impressed with unfortunately. Confused
I would have liked to return the set the day after I got it because of the price...but was away in Sydney on holidays and we dont even have it here in our David Jones stores in Adelaide! I doubt they would have taken it back anyway I s'pose...
Sorry... I know that everyone is different though, but that was my experience. The video too by the way was useless!! Swirl, tap and buff... repeated 50 times and NO close ups of the procedures or results... Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:54 am      Reply with quote
Nemi wrote:
I like the shiny/dewy finish of BE, it makes my dry skin look fresh. Very Happy But I seem to be in the minority here....

I am with you, Nemi! Although, I think we are definitely a minority. Laughing I don't think it is too shiny either...just dewy enough. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
Well here's another vote for BE Very Happy I don't find it 'cakey' at all, but I don't use too much - a little goes a long way. The final application of Mineral Veil just tops it off - no complaints here Very Happy

Anya
muzzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:52 pm      Reply with quote
I didnt find it cakey in any way though either, good point actually. I think in my case, because I have always been an oily/combo skin type, I have grown up being subconsciously over-aware of "shine" and perceive it as oily breakthrough, which I find off putting. When you are oily, you find a great comfort in at least starting out the day MATTE! Very Happy
If that isn't an issue it would affect you very differently on an emotional level, I'm sure... so don't let me put you off then, it was just that I had only a certain amount of spending money saved up for when I was on holiday and bought it and so I felt let down because I might have been better spending $200 on a few other things than blowing it all on the BE Set! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:26 am      Reply with quote
So I got my Aromoleigh samples in the other day. I wanted to try the mineral makeup for a few days before I posted. I really like their makeup! It took a little getting used to as I'm new to mineral makeup. I noticed that after applying the DIY recipes (OCM, Dr. H CC, ACV Toner and Vit C serum), the mineral makeup sits really well. I really like their eyeshadows as well. They surprisingly stay on me throughout the day and I love their color selections. I even tried their blush which was pretty natural (I'm usually not a blush wearer). They also threw in a sample of a lipstick for me (which was nice Very Happy ) and I don't know what it is about mineral makeup but the lipstick stayed on me even after I had lunch! To sum it up, I'm happy with their line. Just thought I'd share. Smile

Anna

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:34 am      Reply with quote
I think we should starte a new thread...before and after pictures of mineral make-up Laughing
How much coverage do you get with the Aromoleigh?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:45 am      Reply with quote
U know I'm still trying to figure out the coverage thing. I don't think I have the right brush. I just have a regular brush that I bought from Sephora (their brand) and don't have the concealer brush that BE has. It certainly evened out my skin tones but I got this ugly pimple scar that I cannot hide.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:42 am      Reply with quote
muzzie wrote:
When you are oily, you find a great comfort in at least starting out the day MATTE! Very Happy
A-freakin-men to that!!! The 'pearly' finish from BE also made me perceive it as oily, but that didn't stop me from using the BE for nearly 3 years. I think I stayed with it for so long because I assumed that all mineral makeup is created equally. It wasn’t until I joined EDS and read about others raves for Jane Iredale that I plucked up the courage to try other mineral makeup lines. Right now, I’m happily involved in a (hopefully) long-term relationship with Jane Iredale’s pressed powder foundation in “Amber.” It goes on matte and stays matte for the rest of the day (so long as I apply it as part of my over-all oil-control regimen).

Muzzie -

I’m sorry the BE starter kit didn’t work out for you. But if you’re willing to give another mineral makeup a chance, I’d like to recommend JI pressed powder foundation for all of my oily-skinned sisters!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:20 am      Reply with quote
Hi Carekate, ooh thank you for that! I appreciate it, it is a life long challenge being oily isnt it? I must give Jane Iredale a try then.... I really did get all excited about, well... actually SEEING BE in the flesh for one... hehe I would have bought it no matter what it cost ( you know how it is when you hanker after something for agesssss) Rolling Eyes We are starved for decent brands where I live. It's great that it is here on EDS .. you are fair skinned too arent you? Amber.. ok... again many thanks! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:20 am      Reply with quote
I first started using mineral make-up last fall, Bare Escentuals and was in love!! But, this spring I was really looking shiny with the heat and extra oil so I graduated to Jane Iredale pressed as well. It doesn't control oil for me but it goes on more matte but not completely, very natural with a wonderful texture. Too bad the bismuth in it was causing all sorts of bumps, I had to quit using it.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:38 am      Reply with quote
hayleighs_mom wrote:
U know I'm still trying to figure out the coverage thing. I don't think I have the right brush. I just have a regular brush that I bought from Sephora (their brand) and don't have the concealer brush that BE has. It certainly evened out my skin tones but I got this ugly pimple scar that I cannot hide.

Aromaleigh did not work for me when I tried to "build up" layers (applying more than 1 layer to hide imperfections); I think it works best for light coverage. Cory makes a high coverage formula (it was too much coverage for me). I had success with Pure Luxe; Bare Faced Minerals also "layered" well. Pure Luxe's "What Red?" is great for hiding redness. J. Lynne and Mineral Boutique ("Halt It" formula) are popular with oily folks as well (I've haven't tried them...yet lol).

Aside: if you're going to try Cory, be aware that getting samples will take 15 *business* days before they send it; this really irked me.
Poppy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:34 pm      Reply with quote
a little late in the discussion, but i have bought Jane Iredale Absence, can anyone recommend which products to layer with this?

normally i use the Absence as Primer, then layer regular liquid foundation and loose powder over it (T L Clerc Matte Foundation or Precriptives Traceless, then set with Shu or T L Clerc loose powder)

i have used liquid foundation + loose powder all my life. I have never been comfortable with Pressed Powder/Compact, cause I find that with my extreme oiliness will make my skin cakey at the end of the day.

carekate (or anyone pls), does the JI Pressed Powder give sheer or matt coverage? would i be better off trying the JI Liquid Mineral to achieve a more natural, dewy finish?
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:51 am      Reply with quote
Poppy wrote:
normally i use the Absence as Primer, then layer regular liquid foundation and loose powder over it (T L Clerc Matte Foundation or Precriptives Traceless, then set with Shu or T L Clerc loose powder)

i have used liquid foundation + loose powder all my life. I have never been comfortable with Pressed Powder/Compact, cause I find that with my extreme oiliness will make my skin cakey at the end of the day.

carekate (or anyone pls), does the JI Pressed Powder give sheer or matt coverage? would i be better off trying the JI Liquid Mineral to achieve a more natural, dewy finish?
JI pressed provides matte coverage.

I tried JI Absence but was completely unimpressed. I've since returned to my HG mattifier, Milk of Magnesia (yes, the laxative!). Apply a very thin layer before putting on your makeup works wonders and acts like a sponge to absorb the oilies!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:30 am      Reply with quote
For those who feel BE or JI loose powder or other MMU brands which is too shiny, try Larenim. Bismuth is the ingredient which gives the shiny look. I believe there are more brands do not have Bismuth in their MMU either but I used Larenim and like it. But w/o Bismuth the powder did not stick as good as the one has it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
I used BE for almost a year but it wasn't until I tried other mineral makeups (Jlynne cosmetics, aromaleigh) that I realized how bad it made my skin look. I have a before picture of me with I wore BE. Notice how peach my skin looked (was too dark), and how shiny I was? My skin used to get irritated by it as well:

and this is me wearing aromaleigh:

I think the bismuth was irritating my skin because I don't feel itchy during the day anymore.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, purpleturtle you are correct!! Bismuth irritates skin, gives a shiny look, and enlarges pores. Happy using non-bismuth MMU!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
I agree...I found BE personally too shiny but it was probably my own perception because my skin is quite oily ( even though the BE was by no means greasy itself!) .... I just like to at least start the day matte! The Mineral veil was an absolute necessity over the top for me.
PurpleTurtle... have to say you've got an amazing dramatic face.. great bone stucture..lucky lady! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hehe replying to myself.. oh duh. I just scrolled right up to the top of the page and read the rest of the thread and saw I had already said the same things months ago! Oh well.. sorry about that. Rolling Eyes

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:57 am      Reply with quote
purpleturtle...wow what a difference a change in make up made!

may i ask which aromaleigh product form do you use? and where can i get this brand? is this brand suitable for oily skin. i was interested in J.I foundation primarily bec it has a wide selection of shades to choose from , while BE is more limited. how about aromaleigh do they have shade for Oriental (my skin is quite fair & has yellow undertone) skin?

thanks!
Poppy
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:06 am      Reply with quote
carekate - milk of magnesia!?! who would have thought!

yes the Absence is not making such a dramatic reduction in my oil production. i thought it's because i was using "regular" foundation & powder instead of MMU ones.

glad you sorted it out for me, though i am still interested to forray into MMU just bec of the good ingredients.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:28 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |