Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
An Observation ... and an experiment ...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
I have very dark hair ... the darkest shade of brown you can have without going to black ... and very fair skin ... so I have to shave just about every day in the summer ... although in the winter, when my hair grows more slowly, I can sometimes wait two days between shaves. If I don't shave often ... my legs look like they've broken out in blackheads! Laughing So I've always been interested in finding something that would permit me to shave less often.

I had noticed that many of the "shaving minimizer lotions" had soya bean oil in them ... and thought I'd try an experiment.

I'm all for "saving time" ... and I decided that I would use straight soya bean oil on my legs and underarms to shave ... right in the shower. That way ... I'd probably save the step of applying lotion to my legs "after shower".

I have a [clean ... no soap in it] stainless steel "soap dispenser" into which I put soya bean oil.

I put a few pumps worth of the soya bean oil in my hand and smoothed it on my legs and proceeded to shave. I did the same with my underarms.

The first time I did this, I deliberately didn't shave for a week ... just to see what sort of reaction my underarms and legs would have ... and both stayed smooth for 4 to 5 days.

The second time I did this, I again didn't shave for a week ... and the results were the same ... 4 to 5 days of "smooth" ... and by the 7th day, just a bit of stubble.

Now ... I don't know why this is ... or if this is doing something negative to my skin ... but it sure is welcome! Laughing I also wish I had thought of trying this in the summer, when the hair growth is greater ... but I didn't. Sad

I was right too ... by applying the oil in the shower, I didn't need to apply body lotion on after the shower ... and my skin felt wonderfully hydrated all day.

So ... anyone else want to give this a try? I just used the soya bean oil from the grocery store ... nothing added.

I'd love to see if this works for anyone else ... or if this is just a reaction that I've had.

And because I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Law ... I am concerned that this retardation of hair growth on my legs and under my arms might be a bad thing ... Confused

Any comments? thoughts? concerns?

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
That's interesting...I wonder why soya oil would have that effect? Is it possible that it is somehow giving you a closer shave and therefore you need to shave less frequently? I can't imagine another reason why plain soya oil would have an effect on hair growth unless it is something hormonal -- like how they suggest menopausal women drink soy milk.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hi chimera,

I don't know ... except that it's soya that's in many of the "shave minimizing" lotions on the market ... however, I don't know exactly what is in soya that would do that.

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
Interesting observation....

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
I'll update y'all after i give this a try. I am intrigued................

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
I'm game. I have the same problem. I am just so happy my mother would never let me shave above the knee. I wish I'd have listened to her about not shaving at all. I have to shave daily if I don't want to scare small children and animals.
I swear I have a 5'o clock shawdow on my legs by dinnertime. ICK! At the risk of public humiliation, I wish I could go back and never shave my legs (underarms are a must....I'm not that natural). Shock I'd rather have the soft blond hair of my youth on my legs than the scary stubble my father sported on my shins. I guess Mom knew a thing or two when she forbade me to shave higher than the knee (thank god for mothers!!). If not for her, then I'd probably make the sound of courdery when I walk. Very Happy
My rant is done...I'm off to the grocery store after work to find some soya oil. I'll report in a week or so.
BTW ladies...it is starting to look like I can cook. This of course is misleading, but it is a nice facade. My neighbor asked me what I use the grapeseed oil and ACV for. I was a bit vague. If I get to know her better, then I'll tell her about Kate's toner. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:28 am      Reply with quote
<SIGH> I can't find soy bean oil at any of my grocery stores. Sad Sorry, I have been out of the loop for awhile here, but I did try to find the oil. I did find punkin seed oil....and who uses that?? I never even knew they made it. The only thing I found was a mixture and decided not to test my luck. Sorry I couldn't help out on this one.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
My question is, how could the soya bean oil produce such immediate effects after one use? I thought that the hair minimizing "potions" out there work over time, but this is just an assumption without having done any research.

Sounds interesting though! Next time I'm at the store I will pick some up and give it a try. You have piqued my curiosity. I'm all for shaving less often!!

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
karmicarchitect
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
I read a similar tip in a magazine: it said to use soymilk. If the oil works, that's so much better -- no need to keep it chilled.
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:57 am      Reply with quote
Are you still using the soybean oil Mary? And if so, how are your results? It sounds fantastic!

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:11 am      Reply with quote
deanne - I've been looking in vain for it too!

Actually, one of the sites recommended here (bu happyhippie, if I remember correctly) mountainroseherbs.com seems to stock. Unfortunately, getting it sent to the UK from the US is expensive because of the weight. But if you're in the US, delivery will hopefully be much cheaper for you.
tipu
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
I am so excited, gonna run to the store and purchase the biggest jar I can get my paws on.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
Hi again Ladies,

I found mine in my local grocery store ... and it's so very strange that I should find something like this easily ... when everyone else seems to be having trouble finding it! LOL I'm in rural Ontario ... so we never have anything! Laughing

However, the brand name is President's Choice ... which is a generic brand associated with the grocery store itself ... in my case Zehr's. For those in Canada, any store [like Loblaws etc] that carries the President's Choice line should find this. It was only about $4 a bottle ... not at all expensive. Very Happy

I don't know what to suggest for the UK or the US, however. If your local grocery store doesn't have it ... and your health food store doesn't have it ... what about a Chinese food store?

A lot of soy beans are grown in Ontario ... so perhaps that's why I found it so easily. Confused

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:14 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using Aveeno shaving cream even though it is expensive and their lotion. I found my hair growth did take a bit longer than usual.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:22 am      Reply with quote
I saw President's Choice when we were in Québec. How I wish I'd have bought loads of it then! Very Happy

I'll keep looking, but haven't seen it in any supermarkets over here. If I find any, I'll post the details for any fellow UK'ers who want to know.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:10 am      Reply with quote
Oh, hell yes I’m interested in this!!! I’ve been using clary sage oil in my homemade shave oil to help minimize hair growth, but I’m always willing to experiment!

Stupid question: is “soya bean oil” the same thing as “soy bean oil?” I just want to make sure I’m getting the right stuff when I stop at the store this afternoon! As fate would have it, I haven’t shaved my legs in a couple *cough...three...cough, cough* weeks so this really ought to be an interesting experiment! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
I hear when you exfoliate the skin then your hair will grow back slower.

Or how bout Waxing? let your hair grow out and then wax it off...it will give you like a couple weeks before you will notice hair

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Carekate,

Yes ... "soya" and "soy" are the same thing. I don't know why some things are "soya" and some "soy" ... but they are the same thing. Laughing

BCGirl

Because of my very dark hair ... even waxing doesn't solve the problem. While waxing does remove more of the hair ... once black hair begins to grow in ... well ... your legs look like they are covered with little pin-points of black. You can imagine how charming that can be ... Crying or Very sad

The only reason I tried this was because my step-daughter, the esthetician, said that soy was the ingredient that retarded hair growth in those lotions that purport to do that.

Now ... as you get older [and I am older ... Crying or Very sad ] hair growth is supposed to be slower anyway ... athough that's not at all true with the hair on my head. IT grows very quickly ... Neutral

So ... that's why I wanted others to try this ... to see if it's really the soy oil ... or is it just that I'm getting older ... Confused

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
For anyone wanting to try soybean oil in the UK, I managed to find some in my local Asda in the general oils aisle. And it only cost 89p! Very Happy
pipilover
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
What if you would use soy milk with an oil that go`s deep through the skin. Would that help if you can not find the oil?
Fairlyfair
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:04 am      Reply with quote
I believe that President's choice is generic brand for Wal-Marts and Sam's in the US.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:58 am      Reply with quote
Well, I’m an idiot! I went all over town last Friday, trying to find some soy bean oil with which to shave my legs, and I couldn’t find it at any of the health food stores or Asian markets that I stopped by.

So this morning I decided to google it to see if I can find somewhere to order it online, and what do I discover? That 75% of all “vegetable oil” that is sold in the grocery stores (i.e.: Crisco, Wesson, etc.) is actually 100% pure soy bean oil! They recommend that you check the label just to be sure, but chances are if you have a bottle of vegetable cooking oil in your pantry, that it is probably the right stuff for the shaving experiment. *slaps forehead in frustration* So it turns out that I had the soy bean oil sitting in my pantry all along! Rolling Eyes

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:05 am      Reply with quote
Gee Carekate!

I didn't know that! Laughing I must check my other cooking oil ... although I think I usually pick up things like "100% Canola Oil" or otherwise "100%" type oils. *sigh*

But how interesting!

Mary

ps ... of course, it's a moot point for me since 100% Soy Oil is readily available to me!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:08 am      Reply with quote
that is tooooooooo funny!!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:47 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Carekate for the google search! I too went to Whole Foods, etc. and was not able to find Soy Bean Oil.....glad to know that it is waiting for me at home tonight! Will try and let everyone know if it works for me (fingers tightly crossed)!

Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:54 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |