Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Changes in skin routine when weather changes?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
freckles127
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Just wondering.. where I'm located, we're going through a seasonal change now and I've noticed my skin gets so much more sensitive when fall and winter rolls around. What do you do differently when it gets colder?

For me, I slather lotion on my feet and stick them in socks when I sleep. Do you use heavier duty products and if so, what?

Thanks!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
Hi freckles Smile there's always a period of time when seasons change that throws my skin out of whack. Last summer I never once used a moisturizer coz my sunscreen was emollient enough. I've just started using a hyaluronic acid serum to cope with the colder, drier weather. As we head into winter I know I will need something heavier so I'm searching for a good moisturizer. I've also switched from Skinceuticals Serum 10 (light, watery, has a drying effect on me)to their CE Ferulic (thicker texture but still in serum form, more hydrating.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Freckles & Crazyskin,

I too am searching for a new moisturizer. I found there's something in common with the 3 of us, we all live in New York City! The transition from summer to fall was so short and now we're already heading into winter! CRAAZY!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi New Yorkers Very Happy

I have the same problem living in New England. All summer I only need to use a sunscreen as my skin can get oily. Once the heat goes on and the fires start burning my skin gets dehydrated. My legs can get to the point that they itch from dryness in the winter months. There are so many good staple moisturizer out there. You just need to find the one that works best for you. Currently I am using PSF Balancing Lotion. As the weather gets colder I will up the moisture level. I find that the Balancing Lotion will work well for me three seasons: Fall, Spring, Summer (when humidity is low). For my body I love The Body Deli out of Calif. Their body creams, soaps and lotions are to die for.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:13 pm      Reply with quote
We don't seem to have much moderate weather here anymore -- it went from a long, hot summer (lots of 90 degree days) to 40-50 degree temperatures. Like others, sunscreen was more than enough for summer, but now my skin is getting dry!!! I've switched from Avene Spray SPF50+ to Avene Creme SPF50+, which is much richer and heavier. I've been using SC Ferulic anyway, and can now incorporate my JB products (ADCE and Derma Excel7), which were just too much to layer in hot, humid weather. So far, it's working. Also, Bad Bird turned me on to emu oil which I use at bedtime. But I have to remember to slather on some kind of lip balm during the day now -- my lips are getting dry patches. If anyone knows of a good one that isn't too pricey, I'd appreciate the recommendation!
Mabsy

Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:19 am      Reply with quote
We don't have harsh winters where I am (barely ever gets below 0C at night) but I do change my skincare routine for winter. This doesn't really involve much - usually just changing to a slightly heavier moisturiser and maybe a slightly richer eye cream. I also tend to do moisturising masks a bit more frequently. I think that's about all I do....

m.april - are you after a lip balm with SPF? If so then I like the Carmex - it has the added advantage of being cheap and feeling tingly Smile If not then Decleor has a lip balm pot - very travel unfriendly but it smells gorgeous and makes my lips appear slightly fuller. Perfect Potion (if you have access to it) also make a very nice lip balm and it's all natural...

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Hi! Statewise, I am close to you (I am in Pennsylvania). When the weather changes, I take a more gentle approach to my skincare. I become less oily, so clay masks are used less frequently. I use more gentle exfoliants on my face and body, use more moisturizing shower washes, and change to non-foaming facial cleansers.

Tina
Debra
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:51 am      Reply with quote
crazyskin wrote:
Quote:
I've just started using a hyaluronic acid serum to cope with the colder, drier weather.

Hi crazyskin,

I'm looking for a hyaluronic acid serum. Would you mond sharing which one you are using and where you purchased it?

Thanks! I appreciate it! There are so many variations on this, and I'm unsure of what to try.

Take care and have a fabulous Friday!

Deb
crazyskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Deb Smile I'm still trying to finish the Isomers HA that I bought a long while back from ShopNBC. It has no other ingredients except HA and it is labelled as pure HA, but I'm not sure this is so. I read somewhere that 100% HA is so thick its almost a solid. I bought the Isomers as a booster to add to moisturizers but I've been using it by itself lately. I haven't tried any other brands, sorry I can't compare. I'm thinking of getting HA from thepersonalformulator.com when I run out. Hope that helps some!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply crazyskin. Now that you've shared this, I think I've asked this q before! Sorry if I repeated myself.....I just have not gotten around to ordering it! I just read about a HA serum that EDS forum member pal wrote about using: http://www.dianayvonne.com/product/CSM48

I may have a look at that as well.

Thanks for the feedback and have a great weekend!
crazyskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
Hi freckles and hayleighs_mom Smile Craaazy is the appropriate word, thanks to a nor'easter and the hurricane passing by Laughing

Hi Winnie Smile thanks for the PSF rec! I tend to get attached to my products so 3 months out of 4 sounds terrific to me Laughing

Hi m.april Smile so nice to run into you! Glad to know your new routine is working out. I've seen many good reviews for the Carmex that Mabsy recommended. Consider also the L'Occitane lip balm with shea butter. Its a tad pricey but it relieves my dryness and really softens my lips. I've also had good results with the Aveeno lip balm available in drugstores. This one has soy and somehow makes my lips rosier apart from dealing with the dryness.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
No need to apologize Deb, I do that too Laughing and I don't even remember if you had asked before. Thanks for the link, I'll check that one out as well. I'm sold on the benefits of HA (able to hold up to 2000X its weight in water, occurs naturally in our skin therefor skin-friendly, may promote scarless healing) and I can't see myself going without it. Hope you find the one thats best for you!

I appreciate your wishing me a great weekend, as it happens this is the first weekend in months that I have absolutely nothing to do and I'm thrilled to get some down time. You have a great one too! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
In the past I had problems with dryness in the winter..so far ive been lucky with my face (But thats because even if my skin doesnt look like it needs moisture, i still apply moisturizer day AND night)..and thats been working out extremely well. As for my poor elbows..i have very bad eczema...need something stronger to moisturize them.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks to everyone and their replies!!

Purpleturtle, I too have eczema.. and I like Aveeno in the winter but am looking for something more heavy duty. I have been using L'Occitane Shea Butter but may prefer the Aveeno better.. probably for the better price too!

Hayleighs mom-congratulations on your new addition!

I can't take NY winters, my skin is so sensitive to begin with, but when it gets so cold, I get rashes on my legs and don't know what would be good for the itchiness AND dryness! Pls let me know if you know of anything to relieve this.

Thanks

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
Forgot to ask,

What does PSF stand for?

Thx

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
Freckles & Purpleturtle,

My daughter has eczema and very dry skin. I found that Body Shop's Shea Body Butter really works. I apply it on her every day and her skin stays nice and soft. Right now I'm trying Body Shop's Cocoa Butter Body Butter and it seems to be working (if not better). I was introduced to it by my friend who has a son with eczema and she was referred to it by another mom with a daughter with eczema. Don't get me wrong, it's not just for people with eczema. The label in the front says it's for very dry skin. I know they give samples. Go in and ask for a sample before u buy. It costs $16 per container.

Good luck,
Anna

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
Purpleturtle,

Wow, u moisturize night and day? Shock What moisturizer do u use that does not clog your pores and break you out? Pray tell.

Anna

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:39 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="crazyskin"]Hi Deb Smile I'm still trying to finish the Isomers HA that I bought a long while back from ShopNBC. It has no other ingredients except HA and it is labelled as pure HA, but I'm not sure this is so. I read somewhere that 100% HA is so thick its almost a solid.quote]

Just wanted to clarify something about hyaluronic acid. Sodium hyaluronate is a white powder. It does not turn into hyaluronic acid until it is dissolved in water. "Hyaluronic acid solution" is what is used topically for cosmetic purposes. A 1% solution of HA (99% H2O, & 1% sodium hyaluronate) is the industry standard for topical solutions. Some manufactueres use a 2% solution , which is a thick gel. This tends to "roll up" when smoothed on the skin, and is used more for incorporation into creams & lotions during the water phase of emulsion. When a manufacturer says 100% Hyaluronic Acid, they mean that the serum is 100% HA solution. Not 100% concentration.

HA solutions cannot be made over 5% (which is used for injections for wrinkle fillers & joint repair), because if the concentration is too high, then the protein bonds begin to fall in on themselves & the solution "siezes" and it starts to become crystallized & becomes totally useless. So most likely your Isomers HA serum is a 1% concentration by mass, but it still is a 100% HA solution. If the concentration was higher, you wouldn't be able to use it anyway.
HTH!
Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:58 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks to all those with recommendations for lip balms Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I've used Carmex off and on for years and you're right, it's a good one that's cheap. But I'm not overly fond of the mentholated characteristic, and may try some of the others mentioned. After my earlier posting, I noticed another thread that included raves for Kiehl's lip balm. But now that I think of it, I have some shea butter and it's really good for dry skin so maybe I should start using it on my lips every day!

BTW, I've tried SkinCeuticals B-5 gel as well as Phyto+ (both which are in a hyaluronic base) and for some reason, my pores get clogged from these two products. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
crazyskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:52 am      Reply with quote
Freckles, PSF = Pure Skin Formulations. There is a thread in the Product Reviews section on their products you may want to check out. Our very own pbsadhaka is affiliated with this company.

pbsadhaka, thank you for that clarification! I just checked my bottle and the only ingredient mentioned is sodium hyaluronate. I hate when formulators misrepresent their products! And I'm so glad you're here to share your knowledge Very Happy

hayleighs_mom, a friend of mine has eczema, I will pass on your recs to her. Thanks Very Happy

m.april, I hate mentholated lip balms too Mad I just got the Burts Bees and not only is it too minty, it feels too waxy for me.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:27 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |