Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

(Beauty) Supplements
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
yusufosman
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:53 am      Reply with quote
We all know and love the products we use on our face, hair and body and the benefits that we get from those. However, as the saying goes, beauty comes from the inside. We all know nothing can compensate a healthy diet, but with the world of nutritional supplements just as crazy as that of skincare - what supplements do you guys/girls take to maintain a healthy body and also specifically as beauty supplements for your skin/hair/nails. And what benefits have you noticed.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
I heard that esssential oil is good for your skin and body. Something such as omega 3-6-9? Flaxseed oil? something like that.
yusufosman
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:08 am      Reply with quote
i take a mixture of oils which give the 3:6:9 ratio. and i try to keep other fats low!
Dia
5% products discount

Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:33 am      Reply with quote
look atwww.smartskincare.com. There is a forum about skin and nutrition.
Dia
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:42 am      Reply with quote
I take fish oils, evening primrose oil, zinc, b complex, multi vit. vit C, vit E, alpha lipoic acid, CoQ10, calcium, and HA.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:02 am      Reply with quote
what i take (not all at one time)

flax/hemp/avocado oil complex, ha, zinc, calcium, multi-vit, pollen grains, digestive enzymes, vit c, vit e, echinacea.

i'm wondering what else would be good...
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:04 am      Reply with quote
I don't think you can go wrong with more antioxidants. I take as many as I can afford. Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
Anyone have any ideas on any supplements with a good mix of some of these things in one pill?
Lela
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
I have been taking Phytophanere Dietary Supplement - it is made by Phyo - the hair products line. It is meant to improve the health of hair and nails.

I love it! I have been taking it for around a month and a half and my nails have never been stronger. I also think I am starting to notice a difference in my hair - it definitely is growing faster!

I have also been taking additional omega 3. So I don't know if the phytophanere alone would give me these results - but I believe it is very good. Problem is: they are very expensive! $79.00 CND - two months supply. My BF bought them for me - I don't know if I would have spent that amount on vitamins...but they do work!

Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
I take these supplements for my skin, hair and just general health:

B5
Gelatin
Spurilina
Vit. C
MSM
Calcium
Flaxseed
Biotin
Niacin
Amino acids(specifically L-cysteine/NAC)
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
This is what I take:

*Vitamin B Complex
*Zinc
*Vitamin A
*Flaxseed Oil
*Magnesium
*Digestive Enzimes
*pysilium husks if my stomach is bad.
*Aloe Vera Juice is my stomach is bad

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
Lela,

I heard about these supps. I heard they were fantastic and alot of people got great results with them. I am glad you did to, can't wait to try! Very Happy
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:25 am      Reply with quote
CoQ10?that's like 30 dollar supplement. It's very expensive. Do we need this for beauty supplement. I usually have NatureBounty for hair, skin and nail every day. I do feel better esp. my hair and skin.
They costs only US$6-7 only.
TOGirl75
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:08 am      Reply with quote
I'm taking Udo's Oil at the moment, which is a blend of flaxseed oil, evening primrose oil, and other oils, and I swear my hormonal acne has diminished considerably.
I also take a multivitamin.
sernx
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:43 am      Reply with quote
I've heard of this Udo's oil before. Can we get this at health food store?

I take fish oil and a multi-vitamin only. I guess I should take other things, since I don't eat very healthily..
yusufosman
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:46 am      Reply with quote
COQ10 IS an expensive supplement. What other anti-oxidants - I was thinking of getting 1000mg Vit C daily is that too much will I just pee it out (i.e. waste it)?

what about taking Vit K orally - would it help anything?
hayleighs_mom
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:36 am      Reply with quote
I take:
-Multivitamin
-B50 complex (it's good for stress)
occasional CoQ10-> on hold while I finish nursing (not sure if it will affect baby)
-Calcium
-Super Antioxidants (NOW brand)--> on hold while I finish nursing (not sure if it will affect baby)

When I had to study I took:
Gingko Biloba

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:44 am      Reply with quote
Oooo, goody your all talking about this, will get me started taking mine again Embarassed
Coming out of my cupboard is:
500 vit-c, says on the bottle to take twice daily
multivitamin with everything in
codliveroil... don't like the taste of that one, although I've noticed it doesn't come back on me the way it does when I've downed it in pill form.

I wanted to get zinc, 'cause someone in some other thread in here said it was fabulous for her skin and enhanced her lovelife...
But when I saw the price for just the zinc tablets I decided the zinc in my newly bought multi's was enough.

When I was taking my supplements daily I actually noticed a difference in my mood and general well being, more or less immediately. 500mg vit-c for breakfast and off to work with a smile Cool
thanx for reminding me!!!!

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:40 am      Reply with quote
yusufosman wrote:
COQ10 IS an expensive supplement. What other anti-oxidants - I was thinking of getting 1000mg Vit C daily is that too much will I just pee it out (i.e. waste it)?

what about taking Vit K orally - would it help anything?

C, C ester, E, alpha lipoic acid, pycenogenol... CoQ10 is expensive, but I usually get mine fromwww.puritan.com . They often have buy 1,get 2 free sales, so I stock up. Do a search on Vit K. I believe Mabsy had some experience with this when she was in the hospital once. I think she said it is for clotting blood or something. Basically, I would not take this without a DR telling me to.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:30 am      Reply with quote
I was thinking maybe Vit K would have the same effect taken internally as it would applied externally.

I think if you take supplements regularly it really does help to even out your mood, skin, sleep etc and really does put a spring in your step. Even if you already have a good diet, we can't all be 100% all the time and get all our nutrients from the food we eat!
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:39 am      Reply with quote
yusufosman wrote:
I was thinking maybe Vit K would have the same effect taken internally as it would applied externally.

No, I think it is dangerous. Where is Mabsy with the info on this? Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:44 am      Reply with quote
Not really a supplement, but I *swear* it makes a difference with my skin -- drinking white and/or red (rooibos) tea. Green tea is great, but I feel like the white made a visible difference (I don't look nearly as bad when I'm under a lot of stress and lacking sleep). So far, I don't have wrinkles or crow's feet (I'm in my 30s), so I guess it's working lol.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
Green/white tea is great. There are good studies supporting that 2 cups per day makes a real difference to your skin.

I also take

Resveratrol with grape skin/seed
(antioxidants and anti-aging)

Acetyl-L-Carnitine, Alpha-lipoic acid plus Coenzyme Q-10 combo (reasonable from Vitacost WEB site)

Flaxseed meal

Omega 3 (Do not take a 3-6-9 mix!! If you eat olive oil (and you should) you'll get plenty of the nine and most people eat way too much Omega 6 which is pro inflammatory and not necessarily good for your skin (it also makes the pill bigger))

PS diet and these made a big difference in my skin. I'm 50 now and have only one noticeable line (about 3/4" smile line on only one side). I had wrinkles 2 years ago. Yesterday someone who used to live in my neighborhood asked me whether I was someone "all grown up" but that person's just about 30!
P.S. Vit C, glycolic peels etc also made an impact but I'd have to say that the largest change came from diet.
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:11 am      Reply with quote
Sharky...apart from supplements and tea, what's your fantastic diet??? And how did you "figure it out"? Please share Pray

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:28 am      Reply with quote
My diet is high in protein and good fat (olive oil (uncooked), flaxseed meal, fish and fish oil) also some milk fat (for conjugated linoleic acid and calcium absorption), I eat all lean meats,lots of fiber (I eat 2T flaxseed meal every day plus nuts and berries), lots of dark colored veggies and cauliflower, I eat several serving per day of dark greens and salad stuff, cruciferous veggies for sulfur (cauliflower, brussel sprouts etc)string beans, squash, tomato sauce (without sugar added; the diet is low in high glycemic index carbohydrates (no sugar or white flour (the bread I eat is flax and bran),and very little potato or rice, basically nothing starchy).

I found this worked for skin by accident. I had Syndrome X (high blood pressure and sugar) was put on a low fat diet and nearly died due to extreme high blood pressure (was hospitalized) Then through reading the literature on Syndrome X I tried this diet and within 6 months blood pressure and sugar were normal and I was off meds (also lost weight). I also noticed my skin which to start had folds under my neck and crinkles at my eyes was dramatically better after a year people were telling me I looked 10 years younger. This is what started me using the skin care products. I did not really think anything would work but saw dramatic improvement.

This diet works most dramatically for people with high triglycerides and/or low HDL. It also dramatically decreased my C-reactive protein (an inflammation marker.

I've since looked at the literature to see what could be the reason for the skin improvement and I'll list a summary. Antioxidant levels are higher in the fruits and veggies I eat versus starchy ones, Omega 3 and 9 are good for your skin and are anti-inflammatory (Omega 6 is proinflammatory), Calcium is necessary for cell wall repair as is sulfur, calcium is simply not absorbed without fat and vit D helps, high protein elevates HgH and certain amino acid combos only available in red meat (e.g Carnosine) probably extend the number of times a cell can divide. Sugar and high glycemic index foods cause blood sugar spikes even in healthy people. These spike have been linked in many reputable studies to tissue rigidity (there are also related mechanism studies that support this, glycation of proteins is another "aging" mechanism and is accelerated by ingestion of high glycemic index foods). There's more that's less firm for example the fiber and lignans in flax also are purported to have good effects but the research is not as well defined.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:08 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |