Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
searching for a new birth control pill
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
cbrooke
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
For all the ladies out there on "the pill" I was wondering what one you take?

I was on depo for over 6 years and just recently went off it, didn't know how bad it could be with long term use Shock Anyway, since then I have tried Ortho Tri-cyclen and had some side effects....my boobs went up a cup size (to me this was negative, I felt like a huge cow with swollen udders) and pretty bad cramps Confused Next I tried Alesse, which I have only taken for a month, but for the whole month I have been incredibly nauseous and headachy Crying or Very sad

Thinking of trying Marvelon next. Never had any problems with taking the pill when I was younger...anyone have any suggestions Rolling Eyes
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
I'm on marvelon for the past 3 or 4 years. I really like it but lately have noticed my period showing up later (like thursday instead of tuesday).

I get the occassional cramping..never bleed through like on ortho tricyclen..Skin wise I'd say it's made no difference (no worse or better)

I was able to get 3 months trial, hopefully your doc will give you the samples too.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
Not to hasten your decision, but I found that with Alesse, I gained weight very quickly and it turned into cellulite fast - on the backs of my thighs where I've never had it before. I did some research and this result is not uncommon. I was fine for the first two months (except a mild headache and some nausea like you're experiencing) and then... BAM, it just hit - like 10 lbs in a couple of weeks. Now I'm bummed by the stretch marks left behind. I haven't tried anything else since stopping Alesse, so I'm sorry that I can't make any recommendations. (Yes - I have no love life right now. Sad )

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
I was on Dianette for years which was recommended for acne and a few years switched to Cileste, which has been really good, no hormonal shifts, cramping nothing!!
I take a B Complex with a high dosage of Vitamin B6 as the Pill depleates this.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies!

I am sooo not going to take any more Alesse....I have enough cellulite already thank you very much Laughing

Seems in the last year I have been just packing on the pounds, maybe it is because my hormones are all screwed up Confused Wish I could stop taking anything all together, but the alternative would be far worse Shock

I am off to search out info on this Cileste!
marmur1
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Cbrooke,

I was on Depo for a few years as well, and liked the convenience of it but ended up with acne that the dermatologist said they couldn't treat because it was due to hormone levels in the Depo & it caused some weight gain as well. Didn't have a period at all on Depo though, so now I'm a baby every month from being spoiled for those years. Embarassed Looking back on it, I'm shocked that I wasn't a nervous wreck each month when it didn't show up. Yikes, couldn't do that again.

Anyway, when I went from Depo to the pill, they first put me on Yasmin, and I ended up with cystic acne almost immediately. I tried to wait it out, but ended up having to switch.

Since then I've been taking Tri-Levlen, and I've had no problems with any side effects at all.

Just wanted to give you another suggestion! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for the reply....and keep them coming. The more suggestions I have the better Very Happy

I tried looking into Cileste and can't find any info....maybe it is not available in Canada Confused I am presently leaning towards Marvelon, simply because I can't find much info about it and thus less negative reviews. Maybe that means there is nothing bad to say Think

Anyway, I am thinking about going off everything completely for a few months just to give my body a break....of course I haven't run this past my boyfriend yet, I am sure he is going to love that Laughing
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
I have been on Alesse for several years after trying many other pills. Yes I do definitely have quite a bit of cellulite on my legs as well, but that runs in my family so I'm not sure that they're are completely related.

I had tried Mircette and it was awful. I'm naturally a very positive person but when I was on it I was raging with anger a LOT. Shock So I went to the doc and they put me on Alesse b/c it's a very mild bcp.

I did switch at one other point to Ortho Tricycline and gained several pounds so I went back to the Alesse and have been with it ever since. It gives me the least amount of symptoms. I also seriously doubt there is any other bcp that is as mild as Alesse. There are just a few categories of bcp's and although I don't know all of the specifics on each, I do know that it's one of the mildest out there.

However, if anyone can find one to eliminate cellulite PLEASE let me know! Very Happy
cbrooke
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe there is just something in the Alesse that my body is some how allergic to it Confused Cause I really felt crappy for the whole 21 days on it and I never felt like that with the tricyclen (but I did have other side effects)...guess neither was right for me....the search continues Laughing
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
What about the Nuva Ring? has anyone tried that and what where the side effects? I'm thinking about it....
cbrooke
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
How about good old IUD....do they even use that anymore Confused

Somehow I don't think my doc would let me get a tubal ligation but thet would probably be ideal Laughing
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:23 pm      Reply with quote
my friend has an IUD...the new types are supposed to be much safer

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:11 am      Reply with quote
marmur1..."they first put me on Yasmin, and I ended up with cystic acne almost immediately. I tried to wait it out, but ended up having to switch".

...I've been on Yasmin for the last 4 months, and my skin got better...and I've been nothing but happy taking these, no problems.

A side effect of Yasmin wich is great is my nails are absolutely incredible! I bit my nails from 0 - 27, so have always had ugly sore fingers. When I stopped biting them I had to keep them short cause they broke or bent (so painful) and were so soft. Now they literally grow like weeds and are strong! And I noticed a big difference within the first month...no kidding.

that's just my experience...hope it helps cbrooke and sorry to hear they worked out so badly for you marmur

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
marmur1
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:16 am      Reply with quote
I'm glad the Yasmin worked out well for you, Ruth. Very Happy

I guess the moral to the story is that every type of pill has positive and negative effects and everyone reacts differently, so you just have to find the one that works with your body. I hope you find one that works well for you cbrooke.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
I love NuvaRing. I have been using it for almost two years now. I was using ortho-tricyclen before (for almost 10 yrs) but I found that I was starting to forget to take the pill everymorning. I asked my OB about NuvaRing and have been using it ever since. I can't really speak about side effects. I have never really had problems with BC side effects and Nuvaring was no different. It is wonderful to only have to think about BC only once a month.

Liz
Nemi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
I'm on Cerazette, which does not contain any oestrogen at all, but which is still as safe as any other pill. I haven't noticed any side effects, but on the other hand, I never did during my x number of years on Trinordiol, either.

5% products discount

Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:48 am      Reply with quote
I used to use ortho cyclen which stopped my acne and oily skin. Those were great years (sigh).
Due to fear of long term artificial hormone exposure I decided to go for the ortho tri cyclen lo, and my acne and oilies have come back. Boobs increased at least one cup as well, if not worse, depending on what time of the month it is.
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
I LOVE the nuvaring. I've been using it for over a year now. No side effects. With various pills I got nausea and a litte weight gain. With the patch I got nausea and a little bit of skin irritation wherever I stuck it (and it would collect lint, etc. as the week went on). Nuvaring is easy to use and I love not having to remember to take a pill at the same time every day.
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
Did you have any weight gain with the nuvaring?
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
I didn't notice any weight gain, and I had been off the pill for a while before I started Nuvaring. And my periods are fairly light, and my cramps are less as well.

I know everyone's experiences are different, but I would recommend trying it out.

Also, it doesn't cause any problems to leave it in during intercourse, but you can take it out for up to 3 hours if you wanted to. I don't.
cbrooke
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
My doc gave me Marvelon, actually I asked for it cause my big sis takes it so I thought I would give it a try. I am currently taking nothing and letting my body just be, but the stress from using condoms is too much Shock Always worried about it breaking Shock Any ideas how long I should be off to let my body get back to normal...3 months Confused
If the Marvelon doesn't work I am going to try Nuvaring.
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:48 am      Reply with quote
what's Nuvaring?

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
cbrooke
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:58 am      Reply with quote
It's a plastic, flexible ring that you put inside for 3 weeks and then remove it for your period week. It releases a low, steady dose of hormones. Check out the website...they even have instructional videos on how to use it Laughing
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
Ive tried Dianne 35 since it was recommended by my dermatologist for treating my acne but instead it has caused my acne to become 10 times worse! So i got off that.

Then i tried Allese....ahh, this thing made me gain weight like whoa! and also it caused my acne to worsen really bad as well. NEVER AGAIN WILL I GO ON ALLESE!!!

After those 2 expeirences with BC pills i have given up and asked my doc for another alternative for birth control. I asked about the IUD but the doctor highly disapproved of the IUD for me since i am still young and havent had a baby yet. There is a chance that if you have an IUD for a long time then you may never conceive a baby.

Now i am on Yasmine and i really like this pill. There is no side effects and NO WEIGHT GAIN! yay! Instead i think i've lost a few pounds from this pill. Alot of people dont gain weight with this pill because Yasmine BC doesnt cause water retention.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
You might want to do some research online about Yasmin....search for health boards. I have read quite a few horror stories about side effects from Yasmin, like major hair loss Shock
But everyone's body reacts different to different types of drugs so if it works for you stick with it. Personally I just went back on the pill, this time Marvelon. Only been 2 days so too early to tell how it is Confused
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:21 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |