Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Mineral Makeup Bummer
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
I'm sampling a mineral makeup sold at the spa that I buy my skin care from... it's sold under the spa name so I have no idea if it's similar to any of the major brands out there. I could list the ingredients if they're on the container and if that matters.

Anyway, I looked GREAT until about 11am when it all disappeared (except what had creeped into my fine lines!!! Confused . Not just the foundation disappeared, but the MAC products on top (blush, bronzer, and shimmer powder). I'm completely disappointed. My MAC foundation with other products don't budge all day and it doesn't creep into my fine lines.

Am I doing something totally wrong here? I've never had this bad of a result, even with cheapy Maybelline liquid!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry to hear that LandB. I don't know why the product would be so bad but I really hope you can bring it back to the spa and get a refund.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
Hi LandB,

How very odd! I admit that I'm not an "expert" on Mineral Makeup ... but this is the first time I've read of such a thing.

I think what I'd do is return to the Spa ... and ask them why it might have happened.

You might also check the ingredients of the Spa's mineral makeup ... perhaps there's something in there that gives it "slip" ... or might affect its "staying power".

Could there be an chemical ingredient conflict with the MAC stuff? Just a thought ...

What a shame! I hope you get it sorted and discover what might have caused the problem.

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:13 am      Reply with quote
See, that's why I love this forum. I would have never thought of the possibility that the MAC products might have something to do with it! Before I mention it to the spa owner, I'm going to try just the mineral makeup for a day without any blush, etc., and see if it sticks. Thank you!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:45 am      Reply with quote
I use MAC on top of mineral foundation, and haven't had a problem. Would you mind listing the ingredients? Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:38 am      Reply with quote
I think it depends on the MMU formulation (a YMMV kind of thing). BE made me look terrible: obvious pores, didn't last, I got oily in record time. Youngblood, Ecco Bella, and Pur Minerals also looked awful. Jane Iredale was slightly better, Aromaleigh was ok, Cory looked terrible, Bare Faced Minerals were almost perfect, and I finally found my Holy Grail with Pure Luxe.

It can get a bit expensive ordering MMU from so many different lines, but for me the search was worth it.

I would def. ask the spa folks for the ingredients; it helps to gather this info so you can narrow down the choices of samples to buy. It seems like most people who try MMU have a "problem ingredient" (or ten).
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Here are the ingredients. To add insult to injury, my skin looked horrible today - all blotchy.

"Mica, titanium oxide, zinc oxide, boron nitride, mica and superoxide dismutase, catalase apple extract (pyrus malas), horseradish (cochlearia armoracia), phospholipids, retinyl palmitate, tocopheryl acetate, butylene (?) glycol, green tea extract, lavender, sandalwood geranium, ylang ylang, patchouli, rosemary, sage, cedarwood, palmarose.

May contain iron oxide, ultramarines, bismuth oxychloride."

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
.....bismuth oxychloride. The "may contain bismuth oxychloride" is the red flag. That may have caused your blotchiness. The reaction to bismuth manifests itself in a lot of ways - blotchy skin, bumpy skin, itchy skin, dry patches....etc....for some reason for many mmu wearers bismuth oxychloride is like kryptonite is to Superman! It wreaks havoc. However, since there are a varied number of other ingredients in this particular mmu, it could be something else.

There sure is a lot of ingredients in there! My goodness - horseradish? Shock
Maria

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
It must be an "allergic"-type response to something in there, maybe the bismuth, because my face feels just awful. Blotchy this morning. Irritated and tight tonight. This is my first bad reaction to skin product yet and I just want to cry. I feel like I lost all the good things I've been doing for my face, on a lark to try something new. I'm tempted to take a little swig of benadryl to test the allergy theory.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:30 am      Reply with quote
karmicarchitect wrote:
I think it depends on the MMU formulation (a YMMV kind of thing). BE made me look terrible: obvious pores, didn't last, I got oily in record time. Youngblood, Ecco Bella, and Pur Minerals also looked awful. Jane Iredale was slightly better, Aromaleigh was ok, Cory looked terrible, Bare Faced Minerals were almost perfect, and I finally found my Holy Grail with Pure Luxe.

It can get a bit expensive ordering MMU from so many different lines, but for me the search was worth it.

I would def. ask the spa folks for the ingredients; it helps to gather this info so you can narrow down the choices of samples to buy. It seems like most people who try MMU have a "problem ingredient" (or ten).

what is your skin type? does the pure luxe have good coverage? (cover red spots, looks natural etc). i have tried aromaleigh and think it is slightly better than jane iredale. but i am still experimenting (i also tried BE and really did not like it). how does pure luxe compare to JI and Aromaleigh?

thanks!

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
red head
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:05 am      Reply with quote
I can't use MMU either-makes my skin itch and burn only can use the JI liquid and I really don't like the coverage that it gives-it does not stay put and since I can't use the loose or pressed it's no help.

skin: sensitive/confused 46yr old
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:55 am      Reply with quote
Hi Red Head,

Once you use the JI liquid, can't you then put on some of the loose MMU?

I've [fortunately] never had that experience with MMU ... but I would have thought that once you had liquid on, that would provide a barrier between your skin and whatever it is in the MMU that makes your face itch and burn. No?

I've got some samples of Pure Luxe coming so I haven't tried them ... and I have some samples of BE coming ... but I have already received samples of Mineral Basics and I'm quite impressed with that.

http://www.mineralbasics.com

The coverage in the Mineral Basics is astonishing, given how little used. They have a product called "full coverage" which really does cover stuff.

I'm not entirely sold on Mineral Basics ... which is why I have samples coming from Pure Luxe and BE ... and I LOVE being able to purchase sample sizes of stuff! Trying stuff out at home over several days is much better than trying it in a store setting.

My only frustration is that it takes a good two weeks for any of these samples to arrive here in rural Ontario, Canada! Crying or Very sad

Mary

Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:59 am      Reply with quote
Dear LandB,

I tried every brand of mineral make-up out there, and was never happy.
Then finally my friend recommended "La Bella Donna" Compressed Mineral Foundation. It is the best. It won't settle into fine lines or wrinkles, stays on all day, and it doesn't look like you have a mask on. It gives great coverage to. I have fair skin so I use Marta in the winter, and Umbria in the summer for a little extra color. The price is $50.00, but well worth it.
Make sure you use a powder puff to apply, not a brush. They do provide an applicator but I found it to be to small. Other than that it is a fantastic product. Make sure you get the compressed powder not the loose. The web-site isWWW.LaBellaDonna.com.
I hope this helps.

Sincerly,
Maire1968
karmicarchitect
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
amnis wrote:
karmicarchitect wrote:

what is your skin type? does the pure luxe have good coverage? (cover red spots, looks natural etc). i have tried aromaleigh and think it is slightly better than jane iredale. but i am still experimenting (i also tried BE and really did not like it). how does pure luxe compare to JI and Aromaleigh?

thanks!

I like the PL better than both of those. I have skin that is combo in winter and oily in summer, sensitive, and prone to breakouts. JI was ok but a little shiny. The Aromaleigh was a good color match but I couldn't build the coverage up without looking chalky (some areas need more help than others). Bare Faced Minerals also makes nice stuff, but I think the PL looks more natural on me.

I hear great things about Mineral Boutique, and I think I'll try them next. The "Halt It" is supposed to be great for oily skin, and the vitamin E is supposed to be great for the dry. The "Cover It" is supposed to have fantastic coverage. You have to email the owner, Amy, with requests for samples. The pictures and info can be found here: http://forums.delphiforums.com/mineralboutique/start

You can ask about colors for PL here (they can also make it with corn starch for attacking the oilies) -- http://forums.delphiforums.com/pureluxe/start
bethers
5% products discount

Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hello...First time posting to this great forum. I have a few tricks I use to make my B.E. MMU work for my super oily skin. After lamenting on whether or not to continue with MMU I remembered that I had a sample of #2 that was too dark for my skin. I mixed it with some corn starch and that worked for a while. When that ran out I simply put a light dusting of corn starch over my 1.2 shade. That works as well. Now I use either the dusting of corn starch or a light dusting of Physicians Formula MMU over the B.E. and I can go 5 or 6 hours without shining. That is a miracle amount of time for me. The Physician Formula is nice looking, and the price is better, but it has more ingredients than B.E.and I don't want it directly on my skin. Maybe this can help some with the shiny problems.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
Bismuth caused me all sorts of trouble too. And really, who could seriously think this ingredient is good for skin! editing to add>--- I was referring to the horseradish (which I failed to mention altogether), I'm sure bismuth is just fine for a lot of people.<---

I'm testing out other types right now, I really like Pure Luxe, I'm still trying to find the right shade. But I believe the texture is my favourite out of the kinds I've tried. For the right shade, Alpha Skin Care has it down for me, but I'm still mixing two shades to make mine. The texture is thicker than Pure Luxe, more coverage.

I guess my point is, there are many kinds and really pays to try all you can. La Bella Donna has no ingredients listed on their website and to tell you the truth, I'm tired of paying $50 for foundation so I probably wouldn't even try it out no matter how great it is. That's just me. Very Happy

5% products discount

Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:25 pm      Reply with quote
I am a MMU addict and I have tried tons of them: PL, mineral boutique, BMF, glymagic,la bella donna, young blood,menlage,Illuminare, aromaleigh,JI,JL...I just can not stop trying new MMU... Wink

For the compressed MMU, I second maire1968 for LBD compressed powder, it is awesome! It has very fine powder and nice color, though the price is really "lovely" too. Bad Grin

For loose foundation, though I love LBD too, I prefer a cheaper one. I like the texture of PL, but I have not found my HG color yet; MB and BMF are nice too.

For liquid foundation, young blood is my HG. illuminare is nice too, it have full coverage but its color choice is limited.

Here is a linkage that you can check ingredients for all brands of MMU:

http://people.delphiforums.com/TRACIKENYON/ListsIndex.html
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:45 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |