Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I want to know peoples opinion of Paula Begoun
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ajfedde

Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:36 pm      Reply with quote
I have recently picked up her latest "Don't go to the Cosmetics Counter without Me?" and now I am extremely confused. I am seeking to learn about what to put on my skin and what not to. I thought this book would make it clear to me, but now I am scared to try anything. I would like to know anyone's opinion on her and if what she says I should seriously consider. The thing that makes me wonder is she seems TOO critical. I would love to hear other people's opinion.
Thank you!!

AJ
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:54 am      Reply with quote
Dear Ajfedde,

Here is my opinion of Paula Begoun.

First of all I think anyone who has their own skin care line should not be in the business of criticizing other skin care lines.

Second of all, I think that, as the saying goes, "the proof is in the pudding" meaning that many skin care products she has been critical of has, in fact. worked really well for me when I ignored her statement. I think she looks at things within a narrow minded "scientific" framework meaning this: because "scientifically speaking" (on paper) a skin care product or ingredient does not have the basis for working in reality, with human begings, these products and ingredients work wonderfully well.

All that being said, I would suggest you look at skin care lines for your particular skin type and try to get the opinions of people who have actually used these products rather than the "theoretical" opinion of Paula Begoun.

Hope this may somewhat be of help.
Caspers Mum

Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't read any of her recent publications, but having owned (I think) the 2nd Edition a few years back ... the woman confused me too! Especially when she'd "summarize" her favorite or recommended products at the end: there were too many listed, and often from product lines that she'd already complained about!

Having said that, I agree with the previous member's opinion. And if Cetaphil is P.G.'s favorite cleanser, then we know that the cleanser in her personal line of skincare is good for one thing: making P.G. money. Why buy her's if one can buy her favorite, cheaper cleansing product?! Duuuuh!:P

My own two-cents worth: would YOU take make-up or cosmetic advice from someone who wears brick-colored blush, that looks like racing-stripes??Surprised She's always hated "frosty"/"shimmery" eye shadows. Well, no kidding: P.G.'s not exactly a candidate for wearing line-enhancing products like these anyways!

The moral of my response: to each, their own!
Mabsy

Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
I got the 4th edition a few years ago and was expecting that the book would point me to the perfect product. That didn't happen. I don't like the fact that she reviews products based on their ingredients only. I think this may have a some merit for people with very reactive skins but my skin is fairly 'tough' in that respect so her reviews are pretty much useless to me. There have been many products that she completely bagged that have worked really well for me. And, yeah, her comment on shimmery eyeshadow put me off as well. I LIKE shimmery eyeshadow.

I still think it's a useful book, it's a very handy product/price directory Smile

Mabsy
elee123
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:39 am      Reply with quote
Some of her reviews are very informative. But I don't know if I can trust her completely. She has her own line of product and I wonder if hers is as good as the others ones that she had negative comments on.
nyjlm
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:49 am      Reply with quote
I came upon her website the other day, and was very surprised that she had her own line of products. So I guess it made me take her site w/a grain of salt.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:49 am      Reply with quote
I don't like her because she thinks her way is the ONLY way. When I think of Paula talking, I hear something like "The eye shadows from this line are fine... if you want to look like a combination clown/prostitute that took a dust-bath in glitter!!!" I like shimmer eye shadow. I like shimmer gloss. Drives me NUTS that she complains about them all the live long day because it isn't her preference. And people in glass houses... I've NEVER seen her makeup look good!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:16 am      Reply with quote
She lost all credibility in my eyes when she launched her own line and still continued to criticise all the other make-up and skin care lines. It is called «conflict of interests», I believe.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:31 am      Reply with quote
I read her book "The Beauty Bible" recently and look at her website from time to time but have not read her cosmetics counter book.

I think that she is very opinionated and tends to present her opinions as fact. There really is useful information in her books and on her website but she has obvious biases and dismisses anything that does not agree with her set points of view. I would actually recommend her book "The Beauty Bible" but with reservations. You really need to look at what she says with a healthy dose of skepticism and not just agree with what she says. I think that she can be a useful resource but that you need to look at other sources of information.

In reference to her product reviews, once you understand her biases and preferences her reviews make a little more sense. If you are looking for an objective review then she will not provide one. That being said, I do read her reviews and do often get usefull information from them.

Concerning her product line, I personally do not like her formulas. Too many silicones, too many ingredients and too liberal use of salicylic acid for me! I think that she is a marketing pro just like the cosmetics companies the she chastises. It seems that even her books have a marketing hook. She gives you some information but not enough information so that you could objectively rate products yourself. Since you don't have this information then you need to rely on her to rate products and so on.....
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:52 am      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
I don't like her because she thinks her way is the ONLY way. When I think of Paula talking, I hear something like "The eye shadows from this line are fine... if you want to look like a combination clown/prostitute that took a dust-bath in glitter!!!" I like shimmer eye shadow. I like shimmer gloss. Drives me NUTS that she complains about them all the live long day because it isn't her preference. And people in glass houses... I've NEVER seen her makeup look good!

I've only just managed to stop laughing at this - my ridiculously stupid imagination is picturing a short-skirted, thigh high booted woman with enormously long feet, drenched in glitter, wearing a round red nose and a battery-operated twirly bowtie whilst she juggles.

Wonder whether there's much of a call for that kind of thing? Laughing

BTW I like shimmer eyeshadow too, no matter what Paula Thingummy says.
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:28 am      Reply with quote
She sells her own product line, yet criticizes others, which I think really down plays her credibility.
Many products she never liked have worked awesome for me.
Also, she never used to like any shimmer products, ect., yet she released some items in her own line with shimmer?? To each their own .
Harmonster
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
I stopped listening to her after I bought Isadora Strawberry Liptreat (not the Liptreat Color) which she described as utterly colorless that turned my lips NEON FROSTY PINK.

Liar.

Thank you, Walgreens, for your fabulous return policy!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
Harmonster wrote:
I stopped listening to her after I bought Isadora Strawberry Liptreat (not the Liptreat Color) which she described as utterly colorless that turned my lips NEON FROSTY PINK.

Liar.

Thank you, Walgreens, for your fabulous return policy!

LMAO! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
Whenever I search for ingredients definitions, her one eventually manages to creep into the google search results.

As a member has said, she seems very critical and disapproving of many ingredients, esp natural ones, because they dont have scientific backing.

I for one am allergic to most of the chemical ingredients that she uses in her products.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:14 am      Reply with quote
Paula B.: "This product would be almost perfect, except for the fact that it contains aloe. People have been using aloe for years to treat burns and skin irritations, yet they have been doing it with NO SCIENTIFIC BACKING! Natural does NOT mean better! I will consider buying this product after they reformulate and remove the aloe!"

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:12 am      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
Paula B.: "This product would be almost perfect, except for the fact that it contains aloe. People have been using aloe for years to treat burns and skin irritations, yet they have been doing it with NO SCIENTIFIC BACKING! Natural does NOT mean better! I will consider buying this product after they reformulate and remove the aloe!"

She has a hole in her head.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:24 am      Reply with quote
LOL, ok, well, maybe she didn't actually say that about aloe, but it's the kind of thing she always says about botanicals and natural ingredients. I for one like natural ingredients...

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
I agree if she has her own skincare line then she shouldn't be criticizing other lines. I've used some of her products and I wasn't impresse. The Nongreasy moisturizer made my skin shiney. Forget about the antioxident serum!! To much silicone.

That's the main ingredient in her products...silicone! Shock
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
I agree if she has her own skincare line then she shouldn't be criticizing other lines. I've used some of her products and I wasn't impresse. The Nongreasy moisturizer made my skin shiney. Forget about the antioxident serum!! To much silicone.

That's the main ingredient in her products...silicone! Shock
GKnee
5% products discount

Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
Personally I think she talks way too much and her face is too tight. Her book does make a good door stopper though.
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
I've been somewhat interested in what she's had to say, but I've always taken it with a grain of salt. I did buy some of her products and couldn't use them ... they had a really bad smell! And I can't stand how she just hates anything with shimmer ... I LOVE shimmer! How can shimmer be wrong when it's so right. Laughing
hollywood
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:00 pm      Reply with quote
Unless Paula has actually used a product, I would treat her comments as worthless. My experience did not match up with her comments at all--so I completely ignore what she has to say. I have much more faith in the women who post at EDS as they have nothing to gain by sharing their experiences.
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:36 pm      Reply with quote
Moonstarr wrote:
How can shimmer be wrong when it's so right. Laughing

At 45 yrs old shimmer is really really wrong for me, but I can remember when it was right! Smile
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:02 am      Reply with quote
Looks like I'm the odd person out. I like PB's product line and her books. But I see no mention of anyone reading the 2nd edition of The Beauty Bible. In this book she explains how she critiques product lines, what works and what doesn't. Or just go to her website's home page and she gives a good bio there. It makes no difference to me whether she has her own product line...in fact I'm glad!
Girlzmommie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:52 am      Reply with quote
Don't worry, SusieQ, you are not the only one who likes her products.

I posted a while back that I really love her skin care line, although I am not crazy about her make up products (colors are too bold for me). While I may not always agree with her write-ups about other products, I know it's just one person's opinion (or more than one, as she has people who do research for her) and of course I am entitled to try the product and formulate my own opinion if I am interested in it.

I also value the opinions I read on boards like this one, although I may not agree with everything people have written about a product. It's just a matter of educating myself and Paula is one of many resources available for evaluating different products.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:42 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |