Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sunblock allergy / acne?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
clairesil

Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
I have noticed that when I use sunblock on my face I breakout in really big, red, painful pimples. I'll get a couple of these after using the sunblock for a few days. I have tried many different brands, dermatologist recommended, etc, and still the same results.
I have bad adult acne in general and am trying to pinpoint the triggers. My makeup (Jane Iredale Pure Pressed Base) also contains sunblock, and I'm wondering if this could be contributing to my acne? Has anyone heard of a sunblock allergy that specifically causes acne?
Thanks.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:47 am      Reply with quote
clairesil,

It's probably your sunscreen. The sunblock that's in your mineral makeup is the actual inert mineral content. Mineral makeup is, all by itself, a sunscreen. However, I believe that JI does contain bismuth and sometimes that can be problematic for some people.

I have never been able to use the "lotion" type sunscreens that are on the market ... and while I can't pinpoint the actual ingredient, there is so much gunk in the formulation that it would be difficult to pinpoint.

I too have battled adult acne for over 40 years ... and I can't generally wear any type of commercial lotion or cream on my face. Regardless of the label's assurance that it won't block pores ... won't cause acne ... yada, yada, yada, they always do block my pores and cause acne breakouts! Crying or Very sad Nor does it matter how much or how little said sunscreen is ... it always causes problems with my skin. Confused

I just use my mineral makeup as a sunblock ... and don't even bother with another. I do, however, tend to stay out of direct sunlight as much as possible since bright sunlight can trigger a migraine ... and I'll wear a hat if I'm outside in bright sun for again because of migraines. I'm sure, however, that the avoidance and hat also assist in precluding sun damage.

I'd stop using your sunscreen for a few days ... and see if that helps your skin.

Hope this helps.

Mary

Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for that info! I have stopped using lotion sunscreen and have just been relying on my makeup and it has worked fine. I was just wondering if my makeup was contributing to the acne problem since it had suncreen.
Is there another mineral makeup that doesn't contain bismuth?
Thanks again.
cricky

Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:58 am      Reply with quote
interesting thanks a lot for this one...
val72

Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:21 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

I also have adult acne and cannot wear any sunblock or moisturizers as they causes horrible acne. I get small red, hard bumps around the edges of my face despite being on retin-A, clindamycin, benzo-micro wash, and salycilic acid. I'm trying to determine the exact ingredient that does this to me as it is moisturizers also. I don't want leathery skin or wrinkles and am trying to prevent them as I'm 25.

Next I'm going to try EltaMD UV Clear SPF 46 Very Light Sunscreen because it has niacinamide in it, which has helped me in the past. I read that PABA free sunscreens are safe for acne prone skin as well as zinc oxide. I'm not sure if this is true or not. I need to get a new dermatologist. The one I had gave me some sunscreen that was greasy and causes a MAJOR breakout that started this whole thing. Now I've had these small pimples blocking my pores since May and since I ceased using any moisturizers or sunblock I can see that there is scarring and large pore holes left over. My regular doc is suggesting accutane again..

Help anyone?!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:35 am      Reply with quote
If you can wear mineral makeup, try a physical sunscreen such as the Colorescience brand. I love the Orb and it's available on EDS.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:48 am      Reply with quote
JI no longer contains bismuth but does contain other ingredients that are problematic IMO. I'm acne prone and cant use it.

Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 14%, Zinc Oxide 6%. Mica, Boron Nitride, Zinc Stearate, Dimethicone, Stearic Acid, Plankton Extract, Algae Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract. May Contain: Iron Oxides, Ultramarines, Chromium Oxide Greens.

For Mineral Makeup I do recommend: Meow, Lauress or Sassy.

Also if you use retin-a or AHA like products or are going to be out in the sun for the day I would not rely on MMU for your sun protection. You really don't apply enough to get full proper protection (it would look like a mask if you did).
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
In my case, I cant wear sunscreen more than 8 hours. If more than that I always get acne in every product.
france4me

Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:07 am      Reply with quote
I've tried so many sunblocks for my face and all of them give me some sort of acne. It isn't an allergy, it is just the fact sunblock in a creamy form clogs pores.. but, sunblock is so important when you use hydroquinone.. etc... so, I use bioderma 50 fluide sunblock. But, once I get home, I wash it off. I wear it as rarely as possible, but always when I go outside when there is the smallest amount of sun. There needs to be a good quality sungel out there.... but, it is yet to be made. A sungel wouldn't make your face break out. The problem is they are hard to find and they look terrible. They also don't work well. Anyway, some people are just have really intolerant skin. Bioderma 50 ultra fluide is the best one I've found. But, I'm looking for a better one still... has anyone ever tried Clarins SPF 40?? I want to try it, but I assume it will not work like all the others...
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:03 am      Reply with quote
Clarins UV Plus (particularly the new formula, HP) is superb! There's reviews in the review forum. For me it goes on easily, doesn't leave a bad white cast and gives decent protection. Doesn't seem to break me out or clog my pores (both of which I'm very prone to).
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:38 am      Reply with quote
Here is the review that Josh is referring to:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=42063
cashmerelover
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:52 pm      Reply with quote
I tend to break out easily as well from most sunscreens, but I found that I can tolerate the Mexoryl ones in light lotion form for the face, at the moment I prefer La Roche Posay SPF 50 for the face, it s a very tiny bottle that I keep in my purse and I only apply if I actually go in the sun. Since it rains almost daily where I live, sunshine is not a frequent occurence.
paulspnao
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
I actually know exactly what you’re talking about. I'm allergic to sunscreen too...my lips r very sensitive and they swell up. Like huge duck lips and my face starts burning. I recently saw my dermatologist about it he gave me aveeno sensitive skin sun block which actually did not irritate my lips or face. I don’t know if u can test that out before buying it. But that worked really well for me. Hope that helped.
beauty mask
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:00 am      Reply with quote
I am allergy too, I tried Eminence SPF, it is OK.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
I just got a bottle of Skinceuticals mineral spf 50 sunscreen and it is very light and does not feel oily on the skin.
In the bottle it has a light beige tint that disapears once it is on the face.

you have to shake the bottle before using it!

http://skincarerx.com/SkinCeuticals-Sheer-Physical-UV-Defense-SPF-50.html

For mineral makeup I still like Abbey St Clare as their mineral makeup has zinc,titanium dioxide,vitamin c and no bismuth.
I have the container here and am just about to reorder.
their makeup matches my skin exactly.

I also have some Jenulence makeup here and that seems good too, but does not exactly match,the one I tried is a bit too light.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:06 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |