Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

mary kay
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lorrapaw
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:03 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried this skin care and how was it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:22 am      Reply with quote
Several years ago it cleared up acne I'd had for more than ten years. I think my skin got used to it because it stopped working as well and was expensive. Now I used store bought stuff and my skin looks OK.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:44 am      Reply with quote
Hi Lorrapaw,

Many years ago I tried this line. No sooner had I put it on my face than I had an allergic-like reaction to it. My face got so itchy that I thought I'd scratch the skin off ... so I took it back to the rep and got my money back.

I know of people who LOVE Mary Kay ... but my skin just didn't like it.

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:35 am      Reply with quote
A friend of mine works for Mary Kay and she gave me a makeover a few weeks ago. The next day I had a huge zit on my nose and I never break out. I also didn't care for the foundation either. I just think any company that doesn't post their ingredients is questionable and I think the ingredients they do use, for the most part, aren't anything special. Of course my friend has been using their stuff for a year or so and loves it.
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:13 am      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
A friend of mine works for Mary Kay and she gave me a makeover a few weeks ago. The next day I had a huge zit on my nose and I never break out. I also didn't care for the foundation either. I just think any company that doesn't post their ingredients is questionable and I think the ingredients they do use, for the most part, aren't anything special. Of course my friend has been using their stuff for a year or so and loves it.

I don't trust pyramid marketing-type companies in general. But MK is pretty trustworthy from what I can tell. I don't love all their products but I trust them. I know an MK consultant whose skin broke out also when she 1st started using the products. But when I last saw her, her skin was perfect. She said it was something about her skin getting rid of all the impurities as a result of the new regimen.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
TooInvolved wrote:

I don't trust pyramid marketing-type companies in general. But MK is pretty trustworthy from what I can tell. I don't love all their products but I trust them. I know an MK consultant whose skin broke out also when she 1st started using the products. But when I last saw her, her skin was perfect. She said it was something about her skin getting rid of all the impurities as a result of the new regimen.

I thought about that at first too, but I have a really strong regimen that I currently use so I shouldn't have anything still "lingering". I also didn't care for the foundation at all, but then again I normally don't wear any b/c I've never found one that I actually do like. It's funny how everyone's skin reacts so differently to things. Glad it works for some but it definitely isn't for me. I just wish I could figure out a way to tell my friend that. Rolling Eyes
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:15 am      Reply with quote
I used mary kay for about a year...it worked for me...all of their products are VERY heavy! The anti ageing line was too heavy for me and i finally quit. I used to use heavy foundation and theirs was one of the best! The coverage is unreal and it stays all day...made my skin kinda oily but other than that I liked it. I have heard horror stories about their products though...may be worth getting samples of everything to try for a couple of days.
KNFN
5% products discount

Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:27 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I am a newbie here. I use Mary Kay right and here is my take - it seems that people who are acne prone have very good luck with MK but people who have normal skin either have an allergic reaction or breakout. I have combination, very acne prone skin and I really like it but my sister and mom both have normal skin and when they used MK they totally broke out (my mom in a rash and my sister in zits). I have heard this from others too. I have been using it for about 3 years because it's the only thing that worked for my acne, but now that I am 30 I am thinking of switching to a new line because my pores look large and there are SO MANY different lines of skincare now. I will continue to use the MK Waterproof Mascara though - I really like that. Oh, and I still do have acne it's just much milder than before MK. I am thinking of switching to sephoras new line - Cosmedicine. Anyway, hope that helps.
little cat
5% products discount

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:21 am      Reply with quote
Mary Kay have several nice products you could try such as their clay mask & moisturizing mask. Last time I can see my face firm instantly after I took off the clay mask. But I don't like their sales are a bit pushy
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:56 am      Reply with quote
Am just wondering is Mary Kay as a brand similar to Avon?

5% products discount

Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:05 am      Reply with quote
I received a couple of samples of the TimeWise® Microdermabrasion set (exfoliator and serum) and I loved the way my skin felt after using it. No breakout, irritation,or anything like that! Just soft smooth skin. I've used it at least 4 times now (every couple of weeks) and never had a problem. My skin is mature/dry, with sensitive cheeks and nose.
The only reason I haven't purchased it is because at $55, I want to see what else is out there first.

I didn't particularly care for the moisturizers I tried. Didn't hurt my skin, but I just didn't love the way my skin felt.

I do LOVE and purchase their Satin Lips® Lip Mask. It's the best exfoliator for the lips that I've tried so far.

I haven't tried their makeup.

41, mature dry skin, somewhat sensitive. Blue eyes, brown hair, fair to medium skin. Areas of concern: loss of elasticity & definition, sagging skin/jowls, neck, deep lip lines, broken capillaries on nose and cheeks, crepiness on eyelids. Less of a concern: photodamage, wrinkles around eyes and outer cheeks, darkness under eyes
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:22 am      Reply with quote
I have tried a few products years ago, was O.K., nothing spectacular IMHO, hths.
debbied
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:01 am      Reply with quote
I didn't like the MK line of makeup. The foundation was heavy although it did cover imperfections pretty fairly. I prefer to use very little makeup, not particularly because I don't need it. But more so, because the makeup tends to make me look "made up". I often felt I was getting ready for a scene from a play or the theatre. Rolling Eyes
razinkane
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:03 am      Reply with quote
The make up made my nose run.
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:11 am      Reply with quote
I really liked MK's Microderm kit when I was trying different at home kits, but finally realized they were all giving me broken caps.

One product I always keep on hand is MK's Timewise Age Fighting Eye cream. It's hydrating and has a bit of retinol. It's as good or better than alot of higher end eye creams. The tube is a little larger than most too.
Sammraovich

Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:05 am      Reply with quote
Mary Kay has great products and they work just fine if you know your skin type and use the right skin care line within Mary Kay. Mary Kay has about 5 skin care lines. They are Timewise for aging skin, Velocity for acne prone and very oily and black head/white head type skin, Botanical Effects, Volu-Firm for aging skin, a Men's line, and Classic Basic Formula 3.

The products work just fine as long as you know what they do and if you're skin needs that particular product.

Here's a quick over view:

Timewise has no salicylic acid in it and it has no AHA in it. So if you're oily, this line will not work even though Mary Kay says on the product "Normal to Oily" If you have oily skin then you need Velocity.

The one product that seems to give everyone a reaction is the Night Solution. Make no mistake, this product has a ton of Vitamin A in it called Retinyl Palmitate, which makes it an effective Retinol. Your skin will take time to get used to Retinol if you've never used a Retinol before. Think Retin A. Your dermatologist will tell you your skin will break out before it gets better when you use Retin A, and all Retinols are Vitamin A based, so your skin needs time to adjust to Night Solution. Do not use it if you don't want to be patient with that particular product. I suggest mixing one pump into your moisturizer so it spreads evenly over your face all the time you use it, and only one pump per day. Read more on Retinol on line to learn about it. Basically, though, Retinols speed up cell growth so they shed faster leaving skin smoother, basically like an AHA. However, Retinols and AHA's can not exfoliate inside the pore as good as BHA (salicylic acid) so I strongly suggest to use a BHA while you are using an effective AHA or Retinol product.

Here are the ingredients for Night Solution:

Water , Butylene Glycol , Glycerin , 1-Methylhydantoin-2-Imide , Palmitoyl Oligopeptide , Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7 , Tocopheryl Acetate , Retinyl Palmitate , Ascorbyl Palmitate , Crithmum Maritimum Extract , Geranium Maculatum Extract , Mentha Arvensis Leaf Extract , Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract , Rosa Centifolia Flower Extract , Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Flower Extract , Jasminum Officinale (Jasmine) Extract , Ferula Galbaniflua (Galbanum) Gum Extract , Cananga Odorata Flower Extract , Ribes Nigrum (Black Current) Fruit Extract , Propylene Glycol , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Mannitol , Acrylates/Vinyl Isodecanoate Crosspolymer , Cellulose , Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose , Triethyl Citrate , Acrylates/Ammonium Methacrylate Copolymer , Polysorbate 20 , Carbomer , Triethanolamine , Disodium EDTA , Talc , Methylparaben , DMDM Hydantoin , Mica , Titanium Dioxide , Ultramarines , Red 30

Mary Kay does not have any AHA's at all. They lost a law suit by a company who owns AHA's. Yes, AHA's are a patented ingredient. You need a license to put them in your product, and Mary Kay got sued for using them without permission. I love AHA's and Mary Kay, so I need two different lines. Rite Aid makes a great AHA Elixir similar to Olay's. I use that and it exfoliates great!

The Velocity Skin Line consists of a Cleanser and Moisturizer. The cleanser has a natural form of salicylic acid in the form of Willow Bark Extract. The Moisturizer has salicylic acid in it. This line will get rid of all acne and keep it away as long as you use it. Be sure to wash the cleanser with a wash cloth for extra exfoliation. It can get rid of black heads and white heads as well. I suggest putting the soap on your face and leave it sit for about a minute or two before using the wash cloth and rinsing it off, because the soap has the Willow Bark extract in it and has benefits for clearing skin's pores nicely.

The other lines are good too, if you have oily skin, try the Botanical Effects line #3.

Do not use the Classic Basic Line Soap for acne prone skin cause the soap has no salicylic acid in it. Do not use the Toner from this line cause it has a ton of alcohol and that's never good for skin. Recently, Mary Kay re-formulated their Acne Treatment Gel and it is no longer good because the second ingredient in it is a drying alcohol. The former formula was great, I don't know why they changed it. If you do use this soap from Classic Basic, be sure to include a great BHA and AHA serum to be sure you get great exfoliation. This soap makes a GREAT make up remover.

Not all consultants selling Mary Kay know the product line that well as I. I suggest to everyone to get to know ingredients. Look for yourself. Teach yourself what you need to know about skin care and approach any line with a keen knowledge. Ask yourself, do you know what an AHA is? A BHA? Retinol? Which alcohols are moisturizing and which ones are drying? Yes, some alcohols that are moisturizing are great for the skin. There is much to know in skin care and trust me, my post here is just the tip of the ice berg. And I can't possibly cover all Mary Kay's skin lines, such as Volu-Firm and the Men's line. It's just too much, but I will say the Men's line has no AHA nor BHA. The shave foam is great. Stay away from the after shave gel cuz it has too much bad drying alcohol. The soap bar is drying. And Volu-Firm has a Retinol night cream that may work well, but I haven't tried it yet, but the Retinol is the 10th or 11th ingredient on the list, so it should be effective. Good luck with what you're looking for. Sam Mraovich... P.S. Please reply a thank you if this post helped. I like to know that I helped someone out. Thanks.

And one more thing, Oily skin DOES need a moisturizer. If you use any line and wash your face with their soap, and then refuse to use a moisturizer, you will break out in acne from lack of moisture in the skin. Oily skin can be dry if that makes sense. Always use a moisturizer, and preferably if you have oily skin, use a moisturizer that has salicylic acid in it.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:22 am      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:
Hi Lorrapaw,

Many years ago I tried this line. No sooner had I put it on my face than I had an allergic-like reaction to it. My face got so itchy that I thought I'd scratch the skin off ... so I took it back to the rep and got my money back.

I know of people who LOVE Mary Kay ... but my skin just didn't like it.

Mary

I believe the reason you may have had a reaction to the product is because you may have used the Night Solution. The Night Solution has a ton of Vitamin A in it which makes it a powerful Retinol, and retinols take time for the skin to adjust to. I'm not sure if that's really the case, but my experience with others who have had reactions to Mary Kay is because of the Night Solution. Hope this helps. Sam Mraovich]

Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:35 am      Reply with quote
TooInvolved wrote:
TAMgirl99 wrote:

SAM MRAOVICH'S RESPONSE STARTS RIGHT HERE: "Alot of Mary Kay's products have a ton of Vitamin A in them. This makes them very powerful Retinols. Think Retin A. After the skin adjusts to Vitamin A (usually break outs happen and mild acne, but this clears up) all the other Mary Kay products work great. You have to give yourself time to adjust to the Vitamin A in Mary Kay's products. If you are already using a Retinol like Retin A, your skin has already converted and is used to this ingredient and you will not have anymore break outs with the Mary Kay line. Again, just give yourself time to adjust to the Vitamin A if break outs occur when you start Mary Kay, it will go away, and you're skin will clear up and never break out again. Just be sure you are using the right line in Mary Kay. If you're skin is oily, you need Velocity. Don't make the mistake of having oily skin and use the Timewise Skin Care Line for Normal to Oily Skin. There are no BHA's in the Timewise Line, so your pores will clog with sebum and you'll break out. So be sure you are using the right line for your skin type. Mary Kay has 6 skin care lines. They are Timewise, MK Men, Botanical Effects, Volu-Firm, Classic Basic, and Velocity."

Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:29 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |