Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Looking for a good mattifying powder
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
deanne123
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
Hello everyone! I am in need of a new powder and I'd like some input from my favorite forum! Smile My Estee Lauder AeroMatte Ultralucent Pressed Powder is on its last leg and its time to start looking for a new one. Since you all have been so amazing I thought I'd ask for some advice.

FYI Routine:
Morning: Either Neutragena Pore Min. cleanser (in shower) or Neutragena facial bar, ACV, Eye cream, then neutragena build a tan.
Night: OCM, HH Dr. HCC, ACV, Vit C (night), lite nite cream, and EMU oil as needed.

Make-up: Bobbi brown liq foundation, BB under eye concealer, EL XL mascara, BB blush (2 shades), lip gloss, and BB blonde for the brows. After all is done then the powder to set.

I am pretty oily and when I was in Virginia the BB powder worked well, but since I moved to Arizona the BB doesn't work as well for me. Her site recommends a matte powder, but she doesn't offer one. So I bought the EL one but it doesn't seem to do much that I can see. If anyone has had luck with a certain brand,then I'd love to hear your suggestions. I haven't been steered wrong yet on here and I am in love with this forum.

Thank you.

I have thought about the mineral makeups, but I'm worried about the shine/oilies and having my pores magnified x10000. Do you think the mineral veil or JI equivalent would work over reg. foundation? I've used liquid foundation for so long its like part of me. If i thought the mineral makeup alone would do it, then i'd try it, but I'm hesitant. Has anyone switched to mineral from foundation and liked it? My observation has been that the lovers of the mineral makeups never wore much makeup to begin with. Is that fairly accurate? I am one of those who likes to wear a lot of products, but I DON'T want to LOOK like I am. Silly,eh?
Once again, I've made a short question way too long. I did a search on here and I couldn't find much in the way of a matte powder. Just lots on JI vs. BE hence my mineral tangent. Very Happy
I look forward to your responses! Have a great day everyone!

Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:00 am      Reply with quote
Does it need to have any color/coverage? If not then I would recommend the simple, but so lovely, Jurlique Silk Dust. It's very good at keeping the oilies at bay and smells wonderful. On the down side, it's not portable at all - comes in a heavyish white glass jar.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:31 am      Reply with quote
deanne123 wrote:
Has anyone switched to mineral from foundation and liked it? My observation has been that the lovers of the mineral makeups never wore much makeup to begin with. Is that fairly accurate? I am one of those who likes to wear a lot of products, but I DON'T want to LOOK like I am. Silly,eh?

I know exactly what you mean. I used liquid foundation, concealer and powder but I hated looking caked in make-up.
I decided to give mineral make-up a try as I heard that it was good for healing blemishes. I'm over 30 but I still get break-outs each month and my skin is quite oily. Rolling Eyes
As a result of my skin problems I never felt confident enough to leave the house without putting my warpaint on. I wasn't at all convinced that mineral make-up could provide me with the coverage I needed but I was wrong. It does take a few practice sessions to get the application right and I must admit that somedays I can still be a bit heavy-handed with it. However, I don't think I would ever go back to regular foundation now. Mineral make-up does provide me with a good amount of coverage and it also doesn't cause new break-outs like liquid foundation often did with my skin. Smile
When I first apply my mineral make-up it can look a bit false and powdery but within 30 minutes it has settled and looks very natural. Some people spritz their make-up after application to get rid of the powderiness but I just let my natural skin oils do the work for me. Very Happy

As for a good matte powder, I'm afraid I can't suggest anything as I'm busy searching too. Laughing
I've tried high street brands and more expensive brands (T LeClerc, Laura Geller, Jurlique) and I've yet to find a powder that keeps my skin oil free for more than 1-2 hours.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:11 am      Reply with quote
I made the switch from liquid to mineral recently. I'm using Aromaleigh's matte Voile foundation and really like it. However, I don't have really oily skin so I cannot comment on how well it keeps u matte during the day.

HTH,
Anna

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:46 am      Reply with quote
MAC powders are really good, the blot powder has never failed me yet and I have very oily skin.
The Jurlique silk dust gets very good reviews on here and Carekate has mentioned about using milk of magnesium on oily skin to take away any shine.
Let us know what works for you Wink
I really do recomend the MAC blot powder though Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
I second MAC Blot Powder. very good at giving you a polished and matt look for hours.....and very reasonably priced too!

be careful not to drop the compact....the powder shatters easily!
cbrooke
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
Where can I buy Aromaleigh products? It seems to be manys favorite for mineral makeup.
I am in Richmond, British Columbia, Canada.
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:57 am      Reply with quote
Blot powder works for me too! I alternate between regular foundation and mineral makeup...and I always carry my MAC Blot with me because it is easy to carry and dosnt cake on.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:39 am      Reply with quote
What are the ingredients of the Blot Powder? I looked on their website but they didn't list the ingredients ...

Thanks

Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:05 am      Reply with quote
cbrooke wrote:
Where can I buy Aromaleigh products? It seems to be manys favorite for mineral makeup.
I am in Richmond, British Columbia, Canada.

Cbrooke, U can buy it at Aromaleigh.com. They're a small company in the states. I'm sure they will ship internationally.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:48 am      Reply with quote
Aromaleigh will ship within the Continental U.S. and to Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico. They don't ship internationally or to U.S. territories. Sad

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
You said:
I have thought about the mineral makeups, but I'm worried about the shine/oilies and having my pores magnified x10000. Do you think the mineral veil or JI equivalent would work over reg. foundation? I've used liquid foundation for so long its like part of me. If i thought the mineral makeup alone would do it, then i'd try it, but I'm hesitant. Has anyone switched to mineral from foundation and liked it? My observation has been that the lovers of the mineral makeups never wore much makeup to begin with. Is that fairly accurate?
It's not true for me. I've worn a LOT of makeup in my time and made the switch to mineral makeup. I still love my nonMMU HG (Versace Extra Creamy), but it just doesn't last the way mineral makeup does.

Unfortunately, like most people, I had to try a lot of different mineral makeup brands and formulas to find one I could live with. And the search never ends.

You said:
I am one of those who likes to wear a lot of products, but I DON'T want to LOOK like I am. Silly,eh?

to paraprhase Dolly Parton -- "I don't own more makeup than other women; they just don't wear all of it at once".

I'm the same as you, and it's something my husband just canNOT understand. He was shocked the first time he walked into my bathroom -- he thought I was very low-maintenance. Yeah, right! I wake up looking this way, lol!

Anyway, back to MMU: I know a lot of oily-skinned people like J. Lynne and Mineral Boutique. A few brands will also adjust the formula (adding cornstarch etc.). I make my own finishing powder using MMU (Bare Faced Minerals "Jo's Secret"), Versace Extra Glow Loose, Le Clerc Banane, and french clay. Basically it's a mixture of stuff I already had on hand, and I have no idea what I'll use to replace it when I'm out. Some people use sericite (also sold by MMU companies), but it did't think it mattified very well. Others like rice powder (which is in the Le Clerc I use).

I'll stop now. I'm babbling.
ka
sernx
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried milk of magnesia? It's used as a primer and has a mattifying effect. Many people over at Makeupalley use it. It's cheap and worth a try! You can pick it up at any drugstore Shock
SaffronRouge
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
I have oily skin as well and I love BE's Mineral Veil. It is very matter and I feel that my skin is much less oily throughout the day. It doesn't have much in the way of coverage, but I am not really looking for that. I use Tarte's Smooth Operator and BE's Mineral Veil and it is just a perfect combination. I feel that the Smooth Operator does a good job at keep the oilies at bay, as well.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
What is milk of magnesia? Is it the name of a product?...what is it make of?....Any info would be appreciated, thanks! Smile
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried the Exuviance anti aging powder. I've been considering buying it but it was sold out at Sephora when I tried. I'd like to hear a review.
karmicarchitect
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:46 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
What is milk of magnesia? Is it the name of a product?...what is it make of?....Any info would be appreciated, thanks! Smile

It's a laxative. It's milky white.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=15138&catid=172&trx=PLST-0-SRCH-HV&trxp1=172&trxp2=15138&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SRCH-HV

Active Ingredients: In each 5 mL tsp: Magnesium Hydroxide 400mg (Saline Laxative)

Inactive Ingredients: Purified Water, Sodium Hypochlorite
[/url]
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:10 am      Reply with quote
You know what is really good and is surprising afforadable? Versace translucent face powder. it comes in such a pretty compact and has an spf 8 and seaweed in the powder, and is about $27 on strawberry.net
vpmiyu
5% products discount

Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:53 am      Reply with quote
The Milk of Magnesia ingredients are all basic (pH ~ 10 in their pure form, but the product itself is probably less caustic). I would be scared to put any hydroxides (lye) and hypochlorites (bleach) on my face unless buffered. In any case using MoM on the face sounds like what I used to do as a teen - slather on a layer of oxy-10 and pray that the zits dried out. It did more damage than good.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:41 am      Reply with quote
Milk of Magnesia is great for skin care! I didn't find it was a great primer for me ... but if you're looking for a good mattifier ... go to your kitchen and grab your box of corn starch ... or rice starch if you have it.

Voila ... you have a great mattifying powder ... cheap and effective. Put a couple of teaspoons of it into a jar ... and keep it with your makeup.

If you use a brush and a light hand ... the result won't be "white" ... but will be lovely and mattifying.

As for changing from foundation to mineral makeup ... I'm such a convert. Liquid foundations do your skin more harm than good ... or at least they did more harm to my skin than good. Laughing Mineral makeup is great!

There is a learning curve ... but well worth it for the effect it gives and for the health of your skin.

The coverage of MMU is about the same or better than most liquid foundations ... with the benefit that MMU doesn't end up looking "caked" when applied properly. Concealment is dead easy with MMU ... must easier and imperceptible than with liquid foundations.

Just my opinions ...

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:45 am      Reply with quote
Here is a thread I have bookmarked you might find of interest called "Update to CareKate's oily-skin regimen"
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=7244&highlight=update+oily+skin
I recently bought the Jurlique Rose Silk Dust and it IS the best powder for keeping away oilies.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:14 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you everyone!!!

I just couldn't bring myself to use the MM and though I was sorely tempted to try the mineral make ups, I found a great kit for me....Lauren Hutton Face Disk. Since I first posted this I've been using the Lauren Hutton face disk and the oil suck up sheets (which also ran out). I decided to finally go for the Mac Blot powder two weeks ago.

I drove an hour and 20 minutes and also went to my favorite counter....Bobbi Brown. I admit I've missed her line plus I left my face disk in my car and it melted. Embarassed
I always liked BB because the colors just work so good for me, but I don't like all the make up like I did when I was working in an office setting.

Needless to say, the nice ladies who like to take my money showed me to the tinted moisturizers with sunblock. It is more natural looking and works great in this heat. I tried the Clinque version (City block I believe is the name) when the Lauren Hutton sample tint ran out, but the Clinque one seemed too heavey and disappeared as the day wore on. I LOVE the BB one as it dries to matte!!! I even (on impluse--an hour drive people) opted for the foundation brush and WOW!! I love it. I always hated sponges, but the brush really works better than the piggys and keeps my makeup light and even.

Now, I just put the MAC blot powder on after I'm done and Viola....shine free for most of my day!!! I am out and about in 90 degree weather with NO humidity. It sucks, but I am looking better now!! I love this forum....of course now I just have to have that darn Cupideon pencil... Mad

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:30 am      Reply with quote
I am looking for the same thing, but I'm looking for something with a bit of colour, mainly for touch ups. I don't particularly like MAC blot as it doesn't work well and the grains aren't milled enough, I've also used Lancome's Matte finished which is now discontinued. I just bought shiseido's pureness mattifying compact which I might return as it turns orange once put on my face but is ok on my hand, I have no idea why.

Please give me some recommendations, I've been searching for a while. Sad
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:48 am      Reply with quote
I really like MAC Blot for this as well. Not sure about the ingredients ... I don't think mine says and I don't have the box any longer.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:53 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |