Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Make-up brushes
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:17 am      Reply with quote
Looking for a good blush brush. What brands would u suggest?
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
A good all round brush is the the Jane Iredale Handi, I use mine for everything, powder, bronzer, blusher.... the brush hair is so soft, it seems a little pricey at first but is well worth the money.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
My new love is Trish McEvoy brushes, especially the blush brush. Softest I've ever used (even softer than the JI Handi)! They are very expensive but worth it.

-Cheri
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
phredd4 wrote:
My new love is Trish McEvoy brushes, especially the blush brush. Softest I've ever used (even softer than the JI Handi)! They are very expensive but worth it.

-Cheri

I'm presently looking at the Trish blush brushes. I've (sort of) narrowed it to 2B, 37 or the one the SA (over the phone-no trish in Canada) recommended the 48 (I think) it's actually a face blending brush but apparently great for blush. She dosen't recommend 2B since it picks up too much color. I'm more confused than ever. Which one do you use. Thanks
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
thanks guys!
Also im wondering how often i should clean my brushes and How i should clean my brushes. Should i use soap and water? or shampoo?
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
I LOVE Trish brushes, I have 14 or 15 of them. I bought one of her Christmas sets and then added on from there. Look on ebay. You can get her brushes for almost half the retail price.

liz
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
I soak them in mild soap once a week, but I've also heard a lot of people wash them in shampoo.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know if it's right or not but I wash mine in mild shampoo.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
marina wrote:

I'm presently looking at the Trish blush brushes. I've (sort of) narrowed it to 2B, 37 or the one the SA (over the phone-no trish in Canada) recommended the 48 (I think) it's actually a face blending brush but apparently great for blush. She dosen't recommend 2B since it picks up too much color. I'm more confused than ever. Which one do you use. Thanks

Here's the McEvoy brushes I have:

- Brush 40- Medium Laydown Eyeshadow Brush
- Brush 23- Angled Contour Eyeshadow Brush
- Brush 50- Angled Precision Eyeliner Brush
- Brush 43- Foundation Brush
- Brush 44- Precision Concealer Brush
- Brush 05- Powder/ Blush Brush
- Brush 48- Blending Brush

The #05 has to be my favorite so far. It seems to pick up just the right amount of blush for me. Next would be #23 for contouring my eyes. Those two I have been most impressed with and use daily. The others are great bushes, but I prefer my Bobbi Brown Ultra-Fine Eyeliner brush over Trish's (maybe just because I'm more familiar with using it). I've never used #43 which is the foundation brush just because I never could get the hang of using one.

Here's a photo of the "Power of Brushes" I got recently. It was $150 USD for the entire set:

Hope this helps! Let us know what you end up getting.

-Cheri
cbrooke
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:00 pm      Reply with quote
I bought a brush set from Mac (was sucked in by the good deal for the set and they threw in a pretty makeup bag)....anyway, I am not to impressed with the brushes Crying or Very sad The blush brush is a good size but scratches and makes my skin itchy and leaves behind tons of bristles. I do like Mac's eyeshadow brushes, the skinny, angled eyeliner brush is great Smile
I also have a Smashbox brush #19, really big with stubby handle, and I really love the shape and size and it feels good (think it is sable?).....but it may pick up too much powder Rolling Eyes
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:40 am      Reply with quote
Drool I am drooling over those Trish McEvoy brushes myself Laughing

I have heard bad thinks about the MAC brush sets, that they are not really up to the same standards of quality as the full size brushes and are brought out as a gimmick.
I do love my MAC concealer brush, I think it is the 242 one, also Sephora do great lip brushes for a just a couple of $$$.

I would recomend the Jane Iredale eye shadow brushes as well, again they are really soft and pick up lots of colour, I hate brushes that you need to swipe and swipe to get any eye shadow.
The Jane Iredale Eye liner brush with the smudger on the end is also another HG with me, this is fanastic with the BE loose eyeliner shadows.

I love make-up brushes, I used to do a lot of painting but have lost the skill now so make-up brushes are a good substitute Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:31 am      Reply with quote
phredd4 wrote:
marina wrote:

Here's the McEvoy brushes I have:

- Brush 40- Medium Laydown Eyeshadow Brush
- Brush 23- Angled Contour Eyeshadow Brush
- Brush 50- Angled Precision Eyeliner Brush
- Brush 43- Foundation Brush
- Brush 44- Precision Concealer Brush
- Brush 05- Powder/ Blush Brush
- Brush 48- Blending Brush

The #05 has to be my favorite so far. It seems to pick up just the right amount of blush for me. Next would be #23 for contouring my eyes. Those two I have been most impressed with and use daily. The others are great bushes, but I prefer my Bobbi Brown Ultra-Fine Eyeliner brush over Trish's (maybe just because I'm more familiar with using it). I've never used #43 which is the foundation brush just because I never could get the hang of using one.

Here's a photo of the "Power of Brushes" I got recently. It was $150 USD for the entire set:

Hope this helps! Let us know what you end up getting.

-Cheri

Thanks Cheri-I think I want the one in the middle of the case-which one is that? Thanks

P.S. I really must learn to do 'partial quotes' instead of copying the whole post. Embarassed
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
marina wrote:

Thanks Cheri-I think I want the one in the middle of the case-which one is that? Thanks

P.S. I really must learn to do 'partial quotes' instead of copying the whole post. Embarassed

The one in the middle of the cup is #48 (Blending Brush).
MsJam
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
I like Jane Iredale's Handi brush. I don't like buying anything in set because I know I won't use them all. I also like MAC's brushes.
Mabsy

Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:58 am      Reply with quote

Drool Drool Drool Drool Drool Drool Drool Drool Drool Drool Drool Drool Drool Drool Drool Drool Drool Drool Drool

Embarassed

Oh, and to add to that - A'Squirrel make some *lovely* brushes. Their blush/powder/kabuki brushes are super soft! The JI Handi is a great all-rounder choice as well, particularly if you're planning on using mineral makeup.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:53 am      Reply with quote
Sorry Mabsy! I know you have a weak spot for brushes so I hope I didn't create an unbearable lemming!

Of course, when you think about it overall, each brush was only about $21.43 USD and that's not counting the lovely brush cup, suede travel roll and keepsake box. It's a great deal if you like TM brushes. I'm probably not helping am I?

-Cheri
mithai
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
I have BB and MAC brushes.....ans love BB. MAC IS scratchy IMO....and BB is super soft and never sheds......MAC shedded a little initially but not anymore.....I have Px foundation brush and love it....whenever i bother to wear foundation that is.
Leaky
5% products discount

Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
what do you ladies use to store your brushes in? I just bought a BE kabuki brush last week and have a couple of others I'd like to store tidily without them touching each other too much. Is there a type of case or something you can buy that doesn't already come with brushes?
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
I too need a propper brush storing device, at the moment they all thrown in a pencil case Embarassed

Jane Iredale does a nice brush pouch holder:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/jane-iredale-brush-bag-p_2421.htm

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
i love trish's brushes and have a number of them - the old style with golden handles and the new ones with clear handles.

my favorites:
#37 - for blush, powder, all over face
#21 ("the windshield wiper," - for eyes and hilights.
these also happen to be some of the most expensive in her collection.
my other all time favorite is #33 - it is the best brush for eye lining. you can make the thinnest, most precise line with this brush, yet it is soooo gentle.
these 3 brushes are used daily.

unfortunatly, #33 is no longer made. t has been replace by #11, which is square, much more difficult to use and is way too scratchy for delicate skin around eyes. that would be my least favorite TMcEvoy brush.

another so-so, is trish's foundation brush. it is not that good for foundation, but since it came in a set, i use it to apply lrp sunscreen - which it very liquid, so it is easier applied with a brush.
btw, if you are looking for a foundation brush, lancome makes the best one.

i have 1 mac brush - for general eyeshadow application. it is very nice. never found another mac brush that was worth keeping.
i did try brushes from other makes like bobbi brown, etc. but still found tm brushes superior.

daily used brushes are stored in a cup. others are rolled in suede brush holders. as for washing, it is usually done a few times a week with the same organic liquid soap that is used for hand washing.
it is very important to dry your brushes flat. you can simply rest them on the edge of the counter or sink.
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:03 am      Reply with quote
BCgirl wrote:
thanks guys!
Also im wondering how often i should clean my brushes and How i should clean my brushes. Should i use soap and water? or shampoo?

Hi BCgirl have you decided what brushes to buy?
I love my Bobbi Brown blush brush: it's very soft and velvety against my skin. I have one in travel size (with the 4-inch handle) so it's easy for me to tote around everywhere for touch ups.

I wash my brushes about once a week in a foaming gel facial cleanser. I read somewhere (here) that using shampoo leaves a residue on the hairs and will eventually damage it. HTH Smile

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
I am currently in need of a new foundation brush. I was considering Jane iredale, but would like to look into trish mcevoy as well.

What brush of hers would be good for mineral foundation? I tried finding a website but it said it was "coming soon"...hmph.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
The TM foundation brush is long and floppy, so my bet is it isn't very good, although I don't use foundation brushes myself since I can't get the hang of it. I need to work on that since I own 3 of them now (TM, Px and BB). A girl at the MAC counter told me alot of ppl use their #187 Stippling Brush (skunk brush) for applying liquid foundation. I use that same brush to apply MAC skinfinish, but I'll try it with a liquid foundation tomorrow morn and let you know how it goes.

Honestly, I don't think any of the Trish brushes that I own or have seen would be my pick for a mineral brush. JI Handi is about as good as it gets for me in that category.

-Cheri
Mabsy

Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:24 am      Reply with quote
phredd4 wrote:
Of course, when you think about it overall, each brush was only about $21.43 USD and that's not counting the lovely brush cup, suede travel roll and keepsake box. It's a great deal if you like TM brushes. I'm probably not helping am I?

Not helping at all.... Brick wall Brick wall

Laughing I *do* like your justification though! I'm thankful that my upcoming trip has made me broke and unable to buy this... I'm hoping by the time I come back I will have forgotten about this as well Razz

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:33 am      Reply with quote
Jane Iredale fan brush is my all time favourite for blusher - a really natural look and so easily.....and I could not live without her handi brush either.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:00 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |