Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Your experiences with Obagi?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lost

Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
For those of you who have tried Obagi - what are your experiences with it? How was your skin's condition before and after having used it? Thanks!
Alexis52
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
It's been about 3-4 years since I've used Obagi. I was faithful to the regime but my skin was always red from being "over" treated. It also caused my rosacea to flair up big time!

But I have medium sensitive skin that reacts badly to strong products - and Obagi is strong. Many people really like the results. See what they say. Alexis
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:25 am      Reply with quote
Hello Lost,

I don't know if this will help you but from other skin care forums it seems that there are mixed reviews about Obagi. There are those who, after a couple of weeks, are really helped by it and then there are those who have bad reactions to the skin care line.

I agree with Alexis. I think if you have sensitive, reactive skin perhaps you should give the Obagi system greater consideration.

Hopefully, others on this forum can give you some help with advice or personal experiences.
skinsplurge
5% products discount

Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
I have sensitive skin and peeled like a snake from the retin-A. I also ended up getting a rash from the hydroquinone. I stuck to it for 6 weeks. The results were okay, but not enough to go through extended periods of "the uglies."
sharyn

Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:58 am      Reply with quote
sharyn

Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:03 am      Reply with quote
you need to try the obagi skin care line for at least 12 weeks. Yes...the redness and peeling in the first 1-2 months is bothersome...but try using a lower percentage retinin A cream with the blender or use it every other day. Once you get past the first 3 months, you can go on a maintenance program.

Good luck
Ivy

Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:07 am      Reply with quote
Help! I have sundamaged skin and am prone to acne. Is Obagi the best product to use? In other words, is it the fastest and most effective way to get rid of brown spots? What is the difference between Exfoderm and Exfoderm forte? I know they contain different acids, but which is better? Thanks.
annabanana

Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
sharyn wrote:
you need to try the obagi skin care line for at least 12 weeks. Yes...the redness and peeling in the first 1-2 months is bothersome...but try using a lower percentage retinin A cream with the blender or use it every other day. Once you get past the first 3 months, you can go on a maintenance program.

Good luck

what kind of maintenance do u do after you get past the first 3 months... been usign the product and all work for me
asian14303

Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:37 am      Reply with quote
I have used obagi myself. I even purchase the whole system with a credit card...that until now is not paid all...The first month was horrible...but when i am into six weeks it got better, i am 26 but they cant believe i am already 26, they say i look like 18,. maybe obagi helps you really look younger, but the thing is, my skin gets really dry and i am not comfortable having all those peeling on my skin.....right now i am into serum and moisturizer which is very good but still thinking of going back to obagi because of the compliment i get whenever i use them.... Rolling Eyes [/quote][/i]
skinprofusion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
skinsplurge wrote:
I have sensitive skin and peeled like a snake from the retin-A. I also ended up getting a rash from the hydroquinone. I stuck to it for 6 weeks. The results were okay, but not enough to go through extended periods of "the uglies."

Good think that i've read this.. and friend of my told me the line is very good, but i do have sensative skin, Skinplurge, I know what your talking about when you said "peeled like a snake" i use retin-A micro, cause on top of my sensative skin i do break out, i was using it every day and looked like a snake everyday, i've cut down, using it 1-2 time per week. Of topic, Skinplurge, What products are you currently using may i ask, I'm looking at Dermalogica soothing booster, might buy it and see what happens.. thanks
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:27 pm      Reply with quote
I posted about my obagi experience before. You can do a search and read the details. To recap, I hated obagi. It didn't help with my hyperpigmentation at all and killed my skin. I had a consultation with dr obagi himself and he basically just told me to start off with retin-a 0.1% everyday. Using any moisturizer to combat flakiness will don't hinder any progress.

I was stupid enough to listen to him. After 3 months of obagi, my face was very red, irritated, broken out (no acne problem prior), and literally hurt with any wind/sun/anything.

I gave up and it took my face 6 months to recover and become less sensitive.
Dana Middleton

Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
I've had alot of patients on Obagi over several years. Depending on your age and skin, you will continually flake. It gets old and very aggrivating. Most people get good results. However, cutting back on the Retin A and mixing it with moisturizer helps the redness and the flakiness. From my experience your paying for the name. I can get the same results with other products and no harsh reactions.
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
First teamine, now obagi !!!! I'm beginning to think Dana Middleton is the grim reaper. Eeeeek Embarassed
btreasure

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
I was put on these products by a very well known Cosmetic Surgeon who has been using the products herself for some time and is still using the products for maintenance - her skin toning is even, no age lines and I was amazed when I found out her age - I guessed 15years younger. I have been using the products now for almost 3 weeks, within the first couple of days, I noticed that the red blotches around my neck were considerably lessened and now the skin toning is even. Yes there is some dryness and peeling, mainly around my mouth/chin/neck area. There is certainly an overall redness to my complexion, but my make-up during the day covers this. I would like to hear from others that are new to the product and what they are experiencing. Thanks Brenda
Dana Middleton

Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:29 am      Reply with quote
I've seen wonderful results with Obagi. It's just a little harsh for most people. But, great results if you'll keep it up.
SherriinCanada
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:47 am      Reply with quote
As most of you know I have been using Obagi since Jan 2004 and have had amazing results with it. My skin looks amazing , it truly does look the best it ever has. I am soon to be 39 and for the first time in my life I dont' freak if someone catches me without makeup on lol.

The first few weeks seriously sucked and were a real turn off but well worth it in the end.

Sherri
jshurz

Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using obaji for the last 6 months. I had blochy, combo skin and really bad melasma. My Dematologist uses Obaji herself and she has beautiful complexion. It did not completely get rid of the melasma but it did lighten it quite a bit. The 1st eight weeks my skin shed like a snake and was very itchy and dry. I stuck it out and glad I did. It also helped to get rid of the acnes and now I don't break out as much. I am currently on the maintenance program. I can now go to work without makeup. People have complimented my more evenly skin tone and the fine lines aren't noticeable. If you stand the dry skin for the 1st 6-8 weeks, you will be happy with the result. I also use the spf15 sun block that comes with the kit.
Gypsy
5% products discount

Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
I used Obaji about 4 or 5 years ago and I really did not like it. In fact, looking back I'm not sure why the derm put me on it. The only skin issue I had and still have are blackheads and a very faint nasial(sp) fold. At any rate at the end of my Obaji nightmare my skin was a mess.
My blackheads got 10x worse, I had full blown acne and my skin was flaking dry. Everyone kept telling me "relax your skins just purging". But I've seen my face react to purging and this was different.

It took around 9 glymed peels over a 6 months period to get my skin looking great.

Now, I will say I've known a people that have been on Obaji with great success.Unfortunately, it just didn't agree with me.
angel06
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
Asian 14303

I had the same experience as you. I was 25 when i used it and people cant believe that i was 25, they thought i was only 18. Although i stopped using it after 2 months. I might go back using it when i get older. But the compliment was really nice.
Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:42 pm      Reply with quote
My experience was short lived about 5 weeks total. I didn't use the complete system, just Exfoderm, Blender and Retin A Micro gel.04%.

My skin not only became dry and flaky and pink, I had a few welts..no kidding. I cut the Blender/RAM back with a break of 2 days in between and still my skin could not tolerate this. I finally gave up. Currently I have a few areas that are still flaky and dry (dermatitis). I can't say that I have sensitive skin as I have used physician grade glycolic peels in the past. I have reactive skin and boy did my skin react to Obagi!

I have come to realize that for me inflammation is not a good thing, short term, well maybe ok, but 5 weeks...I don't think so Shock

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:40 am      Reply with quote
Obagi is a system you really need to investigate before jumping in. Depending on your skin, you don't need to use all the products they try to sell you.

I've used it for several years and I'm constantly "tweeking" it. As someone else also mentioned you can substitute some Obagi products for other brands.

Ivy, the fastest and surest way to get rid of brown spots is to have them lasered with a Ruby or Alexandrite laser. Exforderm Forte is supposed to be for oily skin which I have. However, I like Exforderm better because it is more matte and seems to do a better job getting rid of the peelies at least for me.
fitndestin

Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
I am 36 years old and always suffered from occasional breakouts, I have a friend who always has the most "glowing" beautiful skin and recommended Obagi for me, I started using it in March of this year, at first my skin did great, then the problems started..I truly wanted to believe it was not the Obagi so I investigated everything from my vitamins to my hormones to my diet to explain why my skin was SO HORRIBLE now, but I have concluded it is the obagi and my skin is just too sensitive to use it, I am more embarrassed about my face now than I have ever been in my life, to the point of frustrated tears everytime I get out of the shower and see my skin, I now will begin trying to heal and repair the damage obagi has done.
luvmakeup1000
5% products discount

Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
Honestly, as one girl said you are paying for the brand. If you really look at it, lots of other lines have the samething. I use a glycolic cleanser, cheap toner, hydroquinone (same as clear but much cheaper), MD forte glycolic cream which is the same as their glycolic cream, and retin-a. I mix the brands because it's cheaper but it's basically doing the samething. They want you to cleanse, tone, exfoliate, renew and lighten. However, my way is about $300 cheaper and does the same thing.
Azul
5% products discount

Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
Hey there!
I'm a newbie around here, but immediately searched for Obagi as I've been using a few products (two, really) and I'm getting tired, so I needed some feedback on maintenance...
Anyway, I've been reading and it seems no one really has it clear (and I don't mean the skin, lol).

As I'm taking some out of you, in return here's some things I've learn:

Obagi is marketed as a system, but you don't need the entire system for each individual product to work!! Ingredients don't go around excluding other because of their brands!!
For example:

Retin-A will work EVEN if you don't use ANY of the obagi products (for wrinkles, acne, scars, spots, loss of elasticity)

Obagi CLEAR will work independently of ANY other product you use, because it has hydroquinone 4%, and the skin can't ignore that. the same with Obagi SUNFADER, and to let you know, if you don't mind the extra sunscreen SUNFADER has, you can entirely skip CLEAR, and only use SUNFADER for clearing purposes, it's even cheaper!!

It's a complete lie that you can't moisturize while on Retin-A 'because it stops the process of exfoliation'. Tretinoin, which is the ingredient on Retin-A, works beneath the surface of the skin, and it actually modifies the skin cells. No superficial product can stop tretinoin, and if you moisturize, as the old skin you will be shedding will be more hydrated you won't be able to see it as much as if it was dry, but it doesn't mean it won't be shedding anyway, and you will be a lot more comfortable!! Just apply the tretinoin, then wait for half an hour and use whatever moisturizer you prefer. Plain old Vaseline might be messy and cheap, but it is a great product to consider!!

I've been using Retin-A for a year and a half, and obagi sunfader for six months. I noticed a difference with Retin-A, but as I am a skin care freak, I needed to try Obagi. I saw some relatives within two months of starting the use of SUNFADER, and the all told me my skin looked great, brigther specially. They took some pictures and it is true: I glow!!

This is my routine.

AM.
1. Cetaphil
2. Paula's choice Antioxidant serum
3. Paula's choice BHA 2% liquid
4. La Roche-Posay Nutritic 2.5% (when I get too dry)
4.1 Paula's choice moisturizing lotion (when I'm not that dry)
5. Clinique Super City block spf 25 or Obagi Healthy skin spf 35

PM.
1. Cetaphil
2. Retin-A (always give half an hour before applying anything else!!)
3. Obagi SUNFADER
4. Vaseline

Another tip: If you get too 'raw' at night, try using Obagi Healthy skin spf35. I KNOW it's a sunscreen, but you see, the main ingrediet is zinc oxide, an zinc oxide happens to be great to calm and protect, and even help heal skin. Be open minded and try it, that or some other zinc based product, nobody is going to press charges for using a 'day' product at night!!

Oh well! I hope it helps.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:35 pm      Reply with quote
hi,
in my experience, I think sunfader didnt work on me. If u really want to try obagi products, I would suggested u to go for whole system. otherwise u wouldnt get the best result.. Smile

Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:20 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |